Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Footballfirst

• Chuck Berry

• Prehen

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Footballfirst

It was a good team performance all round. Kirk will get the plaudits for his goals (particularly his second which was Bergkampesque), but the movement, passing and pressing of the whole team was impressive.

Gretna will be fighting relegation so you have to put the score into some perspective. There will be more challenging games ahead. However, Hearts can call on another four players who are eligible (Flatman, Tait, Pollock and Forrester).

2 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

It was a good team performance all round. Kirk will get the plaudits for his goals (particularly his second which was Bergkampesque), but the movement, passing and pressing of the whole team was impressive.

Gretna will be fighting relegation so you have to put the score into some perspective. There will be more challenging games ahead. However, Hearts can call on another four players who are eligible (Flatman, Tait, Pollock and Forrester).

How does the set up and style compare with last season given the players are the same group but its Fox instead of Naismith setting them up?

Dougie Masterton
13 hours ago, Taffin said:

A bit disappointed it's a right sided CB but it's a CB and that's something!

2 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I don’t think you’ll see a better goal all season than Kirk’s tonight. 

Footballfirst
5 minutes ago, jambo19 said:

How does the set up and style compare with last season given the players are the same group but its Fox instead of Naismith setting them up?

The main change (which the first team are also doing) is the role of the full backs. When Hearts are in possession, the two full backs step up  alongside the holding midfielders, effectively making a 2-3-5.

There is also the bonus of such a formation stopping the mind numbing passes across the back four and back again.  However, it does need the central defenders to be comfortable playing forward passes. 

The tempo is also much quicker (McAvoy's impact?).

Edited by Footballfirst

Just in. Solid team performance. Gretna not a good team but that said, I think Hearts will give any team a game this season. Just feel for Thomas - his groin again.

Footballfirst
Pos Club P W D L F A Pts
1 Heart of Midlothian B 1 1 0 0 7 0 3
2 Albion Rovers 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
2 Berwick Rangers 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
2 Bo'ness 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
2 Broomhill 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
2 Caledonian Braves 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
2 Celtic B 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
2 Civil Service Strollers 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
2 Cowdenbeath 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
2 Cumbernauld Colts 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
2 East Kilbride 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
2 East Stirlingshire 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
2 Edinburgh University 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
2 Gala Fairydean Rovers 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
2 Linlithgow Rose 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
2 Tranent 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
2 University of Stirling 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
18 Gretna 2008 1 0 0 1 0 7 0

Just in from the match.

Very enjoyable. All this comes with caveats that Gretna look very poor, however we moved the ball around well and the passing was quick and sharp. Everyone looked comfortable on the ball. Kirk bizarrely had a quiet game considering he scored 3.5 goals 😇. Some great finishing by Hearts.

Compared to last year we seem more comfortable on the ball (first game and poor opposition etc.) but still wanting to get forward at all times.

A few side notes... the Spartans club house thing was open for pies etc... but it seemed you could get a pint too if u stayed inside.  The Gretna No 4 went off in some pain, looked like maybe a dislocated shoulder?? Hope he is OK. And rumour had it Andy Webster was there (Didn't see him) but did see Paul Gallagher and the bloke who managed Darvel (odd chap).

1 hour ago, AppleTarts said:

Only managed to catch the first half, but looked to be about 300-400 there.

McLuckie and Sandilands were the best in the first-half for me. Thought Kirk was a bit off despite scoring in the first half but good to see he had fun in the second :lol:

Think must have been more than 3-400 the main stand was full.

Enjoyed that tonight. Thought our stand out performers were Bailey Dall, Callum Sandilands, Luke Rathie, Makenzie Kirk (4 goals) and Bobby McLuckie. Always been really, really impressed with Bobby and thought he was fantastic again tonight. Never short of confidence to take players on and looks so at ease on either wing. Very nimble and quick footed too and can certainly put a ball in the box. Some of his corner deliveries tonight were spot on. 

Hope Murray Thomas and the Gretna boys injury aren’t as bad as they seem :) speedy recovery! 

Footballfirst
4 minutes ago, Daveandal said:

A few side notes... the Spartans club house thing was open for pies etc... but it seemed you could get a pint too if u stayed inside.   And rumour had it Andy Webster was there (Didn't see him) but did see Paul Gallagher and the bloke who managed Darvel (odd chap).

The clubhouse is good when its available to all.  At the bigger games access is restricted to club officials and invitees.  Hopefully there will be full access for the rest of the B Team games.

I saw a big SUV heading out of the players and officials car park just after full time with a registration number that ended "WEB" so I speculated it might be him.

Mick Kennedy (ex Darvel) is now the manager of East Kilbride.  He's pretty diligent about watching opposition teams play and has been spotted at a few other pre season games around the country.

4 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

The clubhouse is good when its available to all.  At the bigger games access is restricted to club officials and invitees.  Hopefully there will be full access for the rest of the B Team games.

I saw a big SUV heading out of the players and officials car park just after full time with a registration number that ended "WEB" so I speculated it might be him.

Mick Kennedy (ex Darvel) is now the manager of East Kilbride.  He's pretty diligent about watching opposition teams play and has been spotted at a few other pre season games around the country.

Mick Kennedy was in his East Kilbride clobber, I think there was at least one other person also in club colours with him.

I thought Rathie looked good as well. Played Central, coped with long / High balls and looked to push the team on. 

Hopefully playing on a Friday night can encourage more jambos along.

That was fun to watch 👍 most enjoyable.   Great intensity, technical abilities, work rate, teamwork, very entertaining. 

Niemi’s gloves
53 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

The main change (which the first team are also doing) is the role of the full backs. When Hearts are in possession, the two full backs step up  alongside the holding midfielders, effectively making a 2-3-5.

There is also the bonus of such a formation stopping the mind numbing passes across the back four and back again.  However, it does need the central defenders to be comfortable playing forward passes. 

I was certainly struck by the extent to which both full backs were getting forward. I hadn’t seen Rocco Friel play before, but for a young lad (I think he’s still 16) I thought  he did well particularly in the first half. 

Footballfirst
1 minute ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

I was certainly struck by the extent to which both full backs were getting forward. I hadn’t seen Rocco Friel play before, but for a young lad (I think he’s still 16) I thought  he did well particularly in the first half. 

Yes. The left side (Dall, Sandilands and McLuckie) worked a bit better than the right (Friel, Stevenson and Wilson), but that can be put down to experience as all three on the right are still only 16.  However, the combinations still linked well and it was only the final delivery that was lacking. 

will-i-am-a-jambo
1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:
Pos Club P W D L F A Pts
1 Heart of Midlothian B 1 1 0 0 7 0 3
2 Albion Rovers 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
2 Berwick Rangers 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
2 Bo'ness 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
2 Broomhill 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
2 Caledonian Braves 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
2 Celtic B 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
2 Civil Service Strollers 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
2 Cowdenbeath 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
2 Cumbernauld Colts 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
2 East Kilbride 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
2 East Stirlingshire 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
2 Edinburgh University 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
2 Gala Fairydean Rovers 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
2 Linlithgow Rose 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
2 Tranent 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
2 University of Stirling 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
18 Gretna 2008 1 0 0 1 0 7 0

No Rangers B team this year? Is there a reason why they pulled out?

Footballfirst
6 minutes ago, will-i-am-a-jambo said:

No Rangers B team this year? Is there a reason why they pulled out?

Toys out the pram job when they didn't get their own way with the proposed Conference League. 

will-i-am-a-jambo
Just now, Footballfirst said:

Toys out the pram job when they didn't get their own way with the proposed Conference League. 

Thanks FF. Typical entitlement then.

Impressive result for the B team tonight. My mate and l are hoping to get down for a few games at Ainslie Park. 

1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

The management were all there,Webster also, Si ferry beside ex darvel manager, fantastic goals from Kirk , good night good crowd.

Chuck Berry
10 hours ago, bawheed said:

Think must have been more than 3-400 the main stand was full.

Holds 500, so I'd say 400 in there, plus another couple of hundred elsewhere, so about 600.

Next few games will give a better indication where the B team are, they haven't really been tested.

2 hours ago, jambo19 said:

Link to one goal

Some pass by Sandiland, overall the combinations between Kirk 19 McLuckie 17 and Sadilands 17 look very promising for the future 

Edited by bawheed

10 hours ago, will-i-am-a-jambo said:

Thanks FF. Typical entitlement then.

Impressive result for the B team tonight. My mate and l are hoping to get down for a few games at Ainslie Park. 

Reminder 

20230722_102611.jpg

8 minutes ago, Gorgierools said:

Do Civil SS still play at the bottom of penny well road? Should be a derby if so!!!

Yes. We replace the Derby with Spartans.

Edited by Mikey1874

12 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Just being doing that in the training session. Defenders are allowed to pass the ball about but then the forward pass is made. 

Gorgierools
1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

Yes. We replace the Derby with Spartans.

Excellent,nice wee bar down there

Footballfirst

Vlog of last night's game. Kirk's second is well worth a look at 8' 45".

Edited by Footballfirst

Jambo senior

No 10 Gretna David Cox dragged Bailey Dahl to ground ,  some hand bags and pushing before Cox grabbed Sandilands by throat who then in turn grabbed him by throat.    Both booked and both keepers also booked as they ran half the park to “help out”.

good to see them not being pushed around but nothing really in it 

3 hours ago, JamboAl said:

No 3 (Dall?) looks promising.

He was excellent.    Could be one for the future.    Not the first time I've said that and they don't make it.  

2 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Today's other results.

Next game is on Tuesday evening away to Civil Service Strollers.

Superb, not far to travel then.   Just cdownthe road I guess. 

Celtic B lost, this makes me smile ☺ 

Does anyone think Kirk should be loaned out to a higher level than LL or does remaining in the B team look more beneficial with guaranteed game time?

Certainly scored a lot pre-season and the first game. The comments when he signed his extension were very make or break this year with his development 

Niemi’s gloves
21 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Now clashes with a behind closed doors first team game (vs Mansfield Town). Obviously doesn’t affect spectators but the question arises as to whether anyone will be pulled out the B team squad for the first team game. 

Heading along tonight. Should be a good game with Civil doing well with Jardine in charge. Good few jambos playing for Civil tonight as well. Be good to see a big crowd there