B Team 2023/24

Footballfirst

Footballfirst

Full time 2-2

St Mirren ended up with 9 men after a couple of bad and late challenges inside the last 5 minutes.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Footballfirst

• Chuck Berry

• Niemi’s gloves

Getintaethem

Was getting confused there, but have now worked out that the St Mirren game was u18’s and the B team play tomorrow.

Niemi’s gloves
1 hour ago, Getintaethem said:

Was getting confused there, but have now worked out that the St Mirren game was u18’s and the B team play tomorrow.

I think there were five players who are eligible to play u18s but weren’t today because they are likely to be starting tomorrow: Wilson, McLuckie, Friel, Nair and Smutek. In addition one or two who played today may also be on the bench for the B team tomorrow. 

Edited by Niemi’s gloves

Footballfirst

The U18 game was lacking in quality for the most part and St Mirren's opener just on half time was a surprise given the lack of goalmouth action. 

The second half however saw much more action, although some of it wasn't in the rule books. Hearts hit back early in the second half with a lovely move with passes in tight areas with Harvey Chisholm involved several times before finishing with aplomb.  Hearts then conceded what looked like an own goal off the back of the head of Jamie Anderson or Alex Walker.  Hearts equaliser came from the spot after the ref judged a St Mirren defender to have handled a cross from the right.

The last quarter of the game became increasingly fraught as some players and spectators had a go at the young referee.  The trigger was a 50/50 decision that went Hearts way when the ref judged that there was no foul on the St Mirren striker when he looked set for a clear run on goal, which if given would have been a red card for DOGSO. Alex Walker got on the wrong side of the attacker who then leaned in on him as he tried to regain his position.  I thought the attacker was looking to go down too easily, while the guy next to me thought he had been pulled back.  

Thereafter there was a lot of dissent, fouls off the ball, then late in the game the St Mirren #14 was rightly shown a straight red for a nasty looking lunge with the ball yards away. A couple of minutes later he was joined in the dressing room by their #5 who was shown a second yellow for another late challenge.

Hearts could only muster a couple of half chances in the closing moments and had to settle for a share of the points.

Stevenson was subbed off at half time, no doubt with the B team game at Cliftonhill in mind, similarly with Chisholm midway through the second half.

The two trialists on the team sheet both came on as subs in the second half but without showing anything of note.  Blanksby and McDowell were previously with Aberdeen and Dunfermline respectively.   

Footballfirst
19 minutes ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

I think there were five players who are eligible to play u18s but weren’t today because they are likely to be starting tomorrow: Wilson, McLuckie, Friel, Nair and Smutek. In addition one or two who played today may also be on the bench for the B team tomorrow. 

You can add Mackenzie Ross to the list of those eligible to play for the U18s.

Footballfirst
2 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

The goals

Harvey's goal showed excellent skill.  Involved in  the passing move 5 times.

A mention too for 14 year old Alfie Hutchison (2009) playing up by 2/3 years. He has apparently been called up to attend an England age group training camp.  SFA ......... get your act together.

Portable Badger
47 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

A mention too for 14 year old Alfie Hutchison (2009) playing up by 2/3 years. He has apparently been called up to attend an England age group training camp.  SFA ......... get your act together.

Well done Alfie but as you say “Get your act together SFA”.  It’s disappointing enough seeing us ‘lose’ Ewan Simpson to Villa today

Jambo senior

Ewan left two years ago and had completed a two year scholarship with Villa before signing pro contract moving forward 

7 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

I hadn't realised that Callum Hambrook has left and gone to East Fife.

I didn't see it reported but noticed he had gone there and Zach Paris has gone to Forfar.

jamboinglasgow
3 minutes ago, Stanley_ said:

I didn't see it reported but noticed he had gone there and Zach Paris has gone to Forfar.

yeah saw about Zach, wish the club could have put out an announcement about all the U18s not kept on.

2 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

yeah saw about Zach, wish the club could have put out an announcement about all the U18s not kept on.

Yes, I think the club could do a lot more to report on the youngsters, especially with there being a B team.

Portable Badger
12 hours ago, Jambo senior said:

Ewan left two years ago and had completed a two year scholarship with Villa before signing pro contract moving forward 

Yeah I know but seeing his latest contract signing at Villa posted yesterday was a horrible reminder of what we lost. Great for him though and obviously well deserved 

Footballfirst

Good 2-1 away win for the wee Jambo's against Albion Rovers. Goals from James Wilson and Makenzie Kirk (pen).

Edited by Footballfirst

Cracking win, bene a solid start to the season for them & hopefully some of them can start to step up into the first team 

Randy Marsh

Hopefully that's Albion Rovers on their way to another relegation.  To some West of Scotland league.  They need to save money on petrols tokens so every cloud.

Lone Striker
5 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Who is that standing on the far right in the photo ?   Looks a bit like Donald Park .... 

Footballfirst
28 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Who is that standing on the far right in the photo ?   Looks a bit like Donald Park .... 

It is Donald Park.  The photo isn't from today though. Kai Smutek who played the whole game is the middle player in the back row.

Niemi’s gloves

Looks like our B team/U18 resources will stretched to the limit this week if the details on the SFA website are correct: an U18 game against Hibs at the Oriam on Tuesday evening; possibly one or two  players away in Norway to meet UEFA regulations; and then simultaneous games on Friday night with the U18s away to Celtic and the B team playing Cowdenbeath at Ainslie Park. 

On 04/08/2023 at 21:55, Footballfirst said:

Great for Alfie. He has been to two SFA training camps so Scotland were in first. Now that he is U15 which is the youngest Scotland age group, would expect to see him feature in the trip away planned in October.

Portable Badger
16 minutes ago, stuart500 said:

Wow. This wee lad seems to wish life threatening injuries on the referee 😱

Certainly a different type of review that I’ve ever seen.

This is not having a go at you Stuart500 btw....

While the take-away from watching it could easily be the injury threat I think any reasonable & understanding person will not take it seriously under the circumstances. He’s obviously got his wee challenges but it’s lovely to see he channels his energies, passion & enthusiasm for his club to produce his blog.

6 minutes ago, Portable Badger said:

Certainly a different type of review that I’ve ever seen.

This is not having a go at you Stuart500 btw....

While the take-away from watching it could easily be the injury threat I think any reasonable & understanding person will not take it seriously under the circumstances. He’s obviously got his wee challenges but it’s lovely to see he channels his energies, passion & enthusiasm for his club to produce his blog.

Fair enough PB. I know he's just a daft wee laddie who's maybe never had to face a loved one with a life threatening illness. I'm sure he wouldn't wish it on anybody if he had personal experience. 

Good on him for not supporting the arse cheeks though.

Portable Badger
4 minutes ago, stuart500 said:

Fair enough PB. I know he's just a daft wee laddie who's maybe never had to face a loved one with a life threatening illness. I'm sure he wouldn't wish it on anybody if he had personal experience. 

Good on him for not supporting the arse cheeks though.

I’m sure you’re absolutely right. I think he might have ‘limits’ on his range & expression of vocabulary. 

But like you say at least he follows his local team.

On 05/08/2023 at 17:10, Footballfirst said:

Good 2-1 away win for the wee Jambo's against Albion Rovers. Goals from James Wilson and Makenzie Kirk (pen).

20230808_150531.jpg

Footballfirst

The U18s lost 0-1 to Hibs this afternoon. Hearts probably just shaded the first half, but Hibs had the better of the second.

A few more injuries that may impact on the B Team's bench for Friday night with Smutek limping and both Chisholm and Gillies having to go off.  Friel also got a bloody nose.

Footballfirst

Lee Wallace was spotted at Riccarton earlier today. He was wearing a Hearts coach's tracksuit this evening at Academy training.

Only vacancy I can think of could be as assistant to Liam Fox.

Saint Jambo
5 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

20230808_150531.jpg

I appreciate we have just signed a fistful of attacking players, but is there any sense that Kirk is ready for the first team bench?

Chuck Berry
1 hour ago, Saint Jambo said:

I appreciate we have just signed a fistful of attacking players, but is there any sense that Kirk is ready for the first team bench?

No. I'd say he needs at least a season at Champ/League One level first.

jamboinglasgow
3 minutes ago, Waterboy said:

I see Easthouses have announced the signature of Leo Watson. 

Good luck to him, though surprised he has gone to a team so far down the Pyramid.

Yeah, can't say I've seen much of him but had loans in League 1 and League 2, in addition to a decent number of appearances for the B team in the Lowland League.  To then drop down to the 8th tier...

John Findlay
12 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

The U18s lost 0-1 to Hibs this afternoon. Hearts probably just shaded the first half, but Hibs had the better of the second.

A few more injuries that may impact on the B Team's bench for Friday night with Smutek limping and both Chisholm and Gillies having to go off.  Friel also got a bloody nose.

How was young Lyndon Tas in goal?

Footballfirst
4 hours ago, John Findlay said:

How was young Lyndon Tas in goal?

He did OK but didn't have very many saves to make and had no chance at their goal.  He was a bit reluctant or nervous coming off his line, which is understandable in such a game for him.

John Findlay
9 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

He did OK but didn't have very many saves to make and had no chance at their goal.  He was a bit reluctant or nervous coming off his line, which is understandable in such a game for him.

Thanks. I believe he is still qualified as an U16.

Footballfirst
Just now, John Findlay said:

Thanks. I believe he is still qualified as an U16.

Yes. As a 2008, he was the youngest starter on the park.  I can only assume that Couper Wilkie will be on the bench for the B Team on Friday.

John Findlay
1 minute ago, Footballfirst said:

Yes. As a 2008, he was the youngest starter on the park.  I can only assume that Couper Wilkie will be on the bench for the B Team on Friday.

👍

11 minutes ago, KG1874 said:

How many goals did Kirk get last season? He’s started well this year hope it keeps up 

Be amazing if he clicks and adds what he needs to his all round game (work on his physical side and link play maybe!?) and pushes for 1st team this year.

While we're not short up front, there could be room for him if you take Shanks, Boyce and Tagawa as our only CFs (of course Oda and Vargas can step in too).  Would love to see some lads step up, but of course they need to make themselves noticed and be better than those already in the first team.

Footballfirst
1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

Obviously a few players with first team.

I don't know if the team is returning this evening or tomorrow morning, but the B Team players should be back in plenty time for Friday night's game.