B Team 2023/24

Footballfirst

Jambo in Yorkshire
2 hours ago, Steegehmfc said:

Heading along tonight. Should be a good game with Civil doing well with Jardine in charge. Good few jambos playing for Civil tonight as well. Be good to see a big crowd there

The club has always been known as the “Strollers”, I don’t know why “Civil” is being used.

Originally the club was mainly if not all Civil Service staff from the various government departments in Edinburgh.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Footballfirst

• Chuck Berry

• Niemi’s gloves

1 minute ago, Jambo in Yorkshire said:

The club has always been known as the “Strollers”, I don’t know why “Civil” is being used.

Originally the club was mainly if not all Civil Service staff from the various government departments in Edinburgh.

I played with the Strollers in the early 80’s and I’m not sure we had any civil servants, or if there were I can’t remember them. Craig Gordon’s Dad Davie was the goalie. 

7 minutes ago, Jambo in Yorkshire said:

Teams are surely allowed more than one shortened name? Played a game for Civil/Strollers whatever you wish to call them in the last few seasons so can confirm they are called multiple names including Civil & Strollers.

Nonetheless, hopefully a big crowd there tonight. Think it will be a close game, looking forward to it.

Niemi’s gloves

With luck the rain will continue to hold off in defiance of the BBC’s forecasts. There’s not much cover (or seating) at CG park. 

jamboinglasgow
6 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

No Wilson or Stevenson. With 1st team?

I would imagine Stevenson will be on the bench (think he was on it against Gretna.) But Wilson could be with the first team

2-0

After very scrappy period that was a nice goal passing through the middle 

Edited by Mikey1874

Friel booked for getting kicked down in the box. Two bookings for diving the ref has got wrong.

Jambo in Yorkshire
6 hours ago, Paris 84 said:

I played with the Strollers in the early 80’s and I’m not sure we had any civil servants, or if there were I can’t remember them. Craig Gordon’s Dad Davie was the goalie. 

I played in the 70’s and there were a few.

Niemi’s gloves

3-0 ht. Much more competitive game than against Gretna despite the score. Hearts B making more use of long forward passes for players to chase, less play on the deck compared to Friday. 

TorinoJambo
9 minutes ago, Jambo in Yorkshire said:

I played in the 70’s and there were a few.

The Strollers go back to the fifties or earlier. I joined the civil service in 1976 and there were older guys in the office who played then. It was originally serving civil servants. Not sure when it opened up.

10 minutes ago, tazhearts said:

Who is the number 11 that just came on?

Squad number 11 is Murray Thomas.

But

Edited by Mikey1874

jamboinglasgow

Last season we seemed to do well and get into a good lead, then throw it away second half. So the risk of that happening again we have held out is a good sign and a big boost to the team.

Good to get the win in the end but felt we were very lucky to end up with it. Civil service are a decent team but lots of our players had fairly quiet and ineffective games. Thought our best player was probably Harry Gordon in the middle or Rocco Friel at right back. Missed Luke Rathie at the back big time tonight. Think he offers such a commanding presence at the back and also talks all his teammates through the game quite effectively. 

Winning against a good team despite several players away with the first team in the closed-doors game bodes well for the season ahead.

RustyRightPeg
3 minutes ago, FionaHmfc said:

Good to get the win in the end but felt we were very lucky to end up with it. Civil service are a decent team but lots of our players had fairly quiet and ineffective games. Thought our best player was probably Harry Gordon in the middle or Rocco Friel at right back. Missed Luke Rathie at the back big time tonight. Think he offers such a commanding presence at the back and also talks all his teammates through the game quite effectively. 

Strollers away is always one of the most difficult games in the LL season. The pitch is a real leveller. 

It’s a good result if we weren’t at our best.