B Team 2023/24

Footballfirst

Chuck Berry
9 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Hearts U18s would be better playing in the EOS Leagues rather than playing Motherwell U18s as they did yesterday.  The U18s would hold their own in the EOS Premier division alongside Musselburgh, Sauchie, Jeanfield, Penicuik and Broxburn etc., as has been shown in the pre season friendly results.

That would offer accelerated development for 15, 16 and 17 year olds playing against adults on variable grass and all weather surfaces.

I very much doubt the U18's would hold their own in the Premier.  The pre-season results consisted of matches with mostly the B team, a purely U18's would struggle.

That said, they would likely be able to compete in the lower divisions and as you say, maybe better then a purely U18's league.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Footballfirst

• Chuck Berry

• Niemi’s gloves

rudiatemyhamster
35 minutes ago, Getintaethem said:

Don’t know why we just don’t go to an u-23 league that seems to work well in England 

I remember youth players used to play in the reserve league.  Changed days.  I don’t know enough about these things to be honest, leave it to the football intelligentsia.

3 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Hearts U18s would be better playing in the EOS Leagues rather than playing Motherwell U18s as they did yesterday.  The U18s would hold their own in the EOS Premier division alongside Musselburgh, Sauchie, Jeanfield, Penicuik and Broxburn etc., as has been shown in the pre season friendly results.

That would offer accelerated development for 15, 16 and 17 year olds playing against adults on variable grass and all weather surfaces.

Could you make the same argument for u13, u14 playing in regional leagues against Spartans and Hutchie. From the results I heard when coaching there were teams like Hearts and Hibs travelling ridiculous journeys to then hammer other "pro-youth" teams when they'd get a better game in Edinburgh 

Niemi’s gloves

Unchanged from midweek apart from Rathie in for Flatman. Hopefully B team Twitter will provide updates this time but would be good to here from anyone at the game as well.

Portable Badger
3 minutes ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

Unchanged from midweek apart from Rathie in for Flatman. Hopefully B team Twitter will provide updates this time but would be good to here from anyone at the game as well.

Assume Flatman out due to his two bookings - how many does he miss (2?)

5 minutes ago, Portable Badger said:

A 2 booking red card is a 1 match ban.

Niemi’s gloves
3 minutes ago, Portable Badger said:

I thought that it’s just one game for double yellow sending off (may increase if repeated in the same season?). Could be wrong though.

Portable Badger
1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

A 2 booking red card is a 1 match ban.

Thanks for that

and thanks Niemi’s gloves also

👍🏻

Footballfirst

Hearts should have been about 3-0 up by the half. McLuckie hit the side net after rounding the keeper when it seemed easier to score. Kirk was through one on one with the keeper but shot wide. Ross failed to make contact two yards out at the back post.

Portable Badger
1 minute ago, Footballfirst said:

Hearts should have been about 3-0 up by the half. McLuckie hit the side net after rounding the keeper when it seemed easier to score. Kirk was through one on one with the keeper but shot wide. Ross failed to make contact two yards out at the back post.

🤞for a better second half then

Footballfirst

1-0 to Hearts, own goal following a McLuckie corner

Edited by Footballfirst

Footballfirst

Should have been killed off by the first half chances mentioned earlier, and a similar number in the second half. This time Ross had an effort well saved, Kirk had another chance with just the keeper to beat but dragged his shot wide, also both Sandilands and Drysdale chose to pass rather than shoot when driving in on goal.

Hearts actually lost their way after going ahead and the substitutions that followed.  One or two of the younger ones aren't yet up to the physical challenge as yet (reminiscent of last season) while one or two others weren't up to where they should be.

I don't think that GFR are that great a team and there will be tougher challenges over the next few weeks. Let's hope that Pollock, Tait, and Forrester get fit soon and that others aren't left sitting on the first team bench with no game time.

Edited by Footballfirst

Footballfirst

Gretna hasn't had their troubles to seek after conceding 7 in each of their first two games. It was another 9 today.

Edited by Footballfirst

Felt Gala were poor today, as was the ref, Danny Galbraith In Particular just flopped down multiple times and got a foul, yet several hearts players were hauled down and let go. 

game should have been dead and buried but given all seasons worth of weather a few not at their best, pitch appeared a bit sticky. 

Niemi’s gloves
1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

Should have been killed off by the first half chances mentioned earlier, and a similar number in the second half. This time Ross had an effort well saved, Kirk had another chance with just the keeper to beat but dragged his shot wide, also both Sandilands and Drysdale chose to pass rather than shoot when driving in on goal.

Hearts actually lost their way after going ahead and the substitutions that followed.  One or two of the younger ones aren't yet up to the physical challenge as yet (reminiscent of last season) while one or two others weren't up to where they should be.

I don't think that GFR are that great a team and there will be tougher challenges over the next few weeks. Let's hope that Pollock, Tait, and Forrester get fit soon and that others aren't left sitting on the first team bench with no game time.

I see from the match report that Gus Stevenson came on after 61 minutes and Owen Muirhead after 71 minutes. Both started for the U-18 team yesterday - i don’t know if they played the full 90 then or not. But I wonder if it was asking a bit much of them to come on for more than a cameo today, and maybe contributed to the impression that they weren’t yet up to the physical challenge?

Niemi’s gloves
37 minutes ago, BM1874 said:

Felt Gala were poor today, as was the ref, Danny Galbraith In Particular just flopped down multiple times and got a foul, yet several hearts players were hauled down and let go. 

game should have been dead and buried but given all seasons worth of weather a few not at their best, pitch appeared a bit sticky. 

DG showing the ‘skills’ he learned in his time at Easter Road?

Hearts b have only conceded 1 goal this season in the league why have the got 3 against scores 7-0 3-0 and 1-1. League table say's 11-3

2 minutes ago, j1964m said:

Hearts b have only conceded 1 goal this season in the league why have the got 3 against scores 7-0 3-0 and 1-1. League table say's 11-3

The Strollers game finished 3-2 so 11-3 is correct.   BBC had it as 3-0 at FT but changed it later to the correct 3-2

DALLY JAMBO
1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

Gretna hasn't had their troubles to seek after conceding 7 in each of their first two games. It was another 9 today.

Hail The Galliant LRFC

Footballfirst
16 minutes ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

I see from the match report that Gus Stevenson came on after 61 minutes and Owen Muirhead after 71 minutes. Both started for the U-18 team yesterday - i don’t know if they played the full 90 then or not. But I wonder if it was asking a bit much of them to come on for more than a cameo today, and maybe contributed to the impression that they weren’t yet up to the physical challenge?

Owen did OK after he came on and Gus was played out of position on the left wing. My concerns were more about the starters.

2 hours ago, JTJ said:

The Strollers game finished 3-2 so 11-3 is correct.   BBC had it as 3-0 at FT but changed it later to the correct 3-2

Cheers  came up on my app final score 0-3

Selkirkhmfc1874
3 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Highlight of the day was the young gala ultras and the heavy rain

Footballfirst
4 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Highlight of the day was the young gala ultras and the heavy rain

I liked their charge from the small stand to behind the goal at the penalty.

Selkirkhmfc1874
1 minute ago, Footballfirst said:

I liked their charge from the small stand to behind the goal at the penalty.

Aye was well funny, a was sitting in small stand eh! One of the wee guys supports Hearts and goes on our supporters bus , plays for hibs and was with the gala ultras today haha

Footballfirst

It will be interesting to see the team selection for the Challenge Cup tie away to Brechin on Tuesday night.  The age group is U21 (2003s or younger) with the opportunity to play two over-age players, as compared to the B Team in the Lowland League which is U20 plus an U21 keeper and one U21 outfield player.

That means Neilson and Denholm are eligible along with the full B Team squad, with the possibility that Smith and Stone could play as overage players. 

Pollock, Thomas Tait and Forrester are all out injured at the moment, so the midfield could do with a bit more experience.

The strongest side that they might field would be:

Stone

Rathie, Neilson, Flatman, Dall

Wilson, Gordon, Denholm, Smith McLuckie

Kirk.

The carrot for a win could be a game at Tynecastle against Hibs colts in the next round.

44 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

It will be interesting to see the team selection for the Challenge Cup tie away to Brechin on Tuesday night.  The age group is U21 (2003s or younger) with the opportunity to play two over-age players, as compared to the B Team in the Lowland League which is U20 plus an U21 keeper and one U21 outfield player.

That means Neilson and Denholm are eligible along with the full B Team squad, with the possibility that Smith and Stone could play as overage players. 

Pollock, Thomas Tait and Forrester are all out injured at the moment, so the midfield could do with a bit more experience.

The strongest side that they might field would be:

Stone

Rathie, Neilson, Flatman, Dall

Wilson, Gordon, Denholm, Smith McLuckie

Kirk.

The carrot for a win could be a game at Tynecastle against Hibs colts in the next round.

I would pay to watch that team!!!!

scott herbertson
18 hours ago, connlach said:

Living a few miles from Brechin I plan to pop down tomorrow. Anyone else going?

Was there yesterday en route to collect some second hand books from Taylors Auctions in Montrose - shame I didn't know abouit the game or I would have gone today and  stopped on the way back

Graeme Russell
19 hours ago, connlach said:

Living a few miles from Brechin I plan to pop down tomorrow. Anyone else going?

Will be attending the game tonight, should be an interesting game. Weather is now sunny and bright after non stop rain yesterday. Looking forward to it.

1 hour ago, connlach said:

It's a lovely evening and a good chance to see some of the younger ones in action. Will provide updates.

That would be appreciated @connlach 👍

Niemi’s gloves
6 minutes ago, Heart&soul said:

E221F9D6-CFEC-4827-9694-5D3F948A9070.jpeg

An entirely U-20 team but quite a strong one. I’m not sure where Harry Stone will get game time if not in matches like this. 

Footballfirst
8 minutes ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

An entirely U-20 team but quite a strong one. I’m not sure where Harry Stone will get game time if not in matches like this. 

The same goes for Denholm and Neilson and to a lesser extent Connor Smith.

Portable Badger
5 minutes ago, Hungry hippo said:

Third kit debut tonight possibly looking at the socks.

Screenshot_20230801_190439_X.jpg

Maroon shorts though

Niemi’s gloves
8 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

The same goes for Denholm and Neilson and to a lesser extent Connor Smith.

You’re right of course although at least those three have some possibility of time on the park as a sub. 

When Michael McGovern was signed, Naismith claimed that he was excited by Harry Stone’s prospects and that somehow MM’s signing gave Harry the chance of “even more game time, be it with the B team or a loan move”. As we know, Harry isn’t eligible to play in lowland league games but could have played in tonight’s game as an overage player. Also, since 3 goalkeepers in the squad is a requirement in Europe, he may not be able to go out on loan until either Craig Gordon is back or we are knocked out of Europe (unless we are happy for Liam McF to be the third goalie).

augusthearts

Exciting times for the Hearts B team. Strangely always wanted us to challenge in the SPFL trust trophy. A minor trophy I appreciate but would be nice to see the youth team go far in this.