B Team 2023/24

Footballfirst

Footballfirst

The full Lowland League fixture list was published today, so I've created a new B Team thread for the upcoming season.

Fixtures

image.png.2f61ce49a81563d0b4593e0fcf934ffb.png

Home games are being played on Friday nights at Ainslie Park and there are three or four other midweek fixtures.

The B Team also has four friendlies arranged (all away) before the start of the season, just two weeks away.

Sat 8 July @ Whitehill Welfare 2:30

Wed 12 July @ Preston Athletic 7:30

Sat 15 July @ Dunbar United 2:30

Tue 18 July @ Broxburn Athletic 7:00 

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Footballfirst

• Chuck Berry

• Prehen

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Footballfirst

B Team Squad (eligible players at U20/U19)

Keeper - Liam McFarlane

Defenders - Adam Forrester Callum Flatman, Luke Rathie, Bailey Dall, Ethan Drysdale

Midfielders - Macaulay Tait, Harry Gordon, Ryan Duncan, Finlay Pollock

Forwards - Mackenzie Kirk, Murray Thomas, Callum Sandilands

U18s likely to feature:

Kai Smutek, Kenzi Nair, Harvey Chisholm, Gregor Crookston, Bobby McLuckie, Mackenzie Ross, Rocco Friel, Alex Walker

U17s likely to feature

James Wilson, Gus Stevenson, Matthew Gillies, Owen Muirhead.

Friday night games are definitely handy. Means no clashes with Hearts first team games. Generally better that they're at Ainslie too, which hopefully boosts crowds. Although there's now a bus that runs from my doorstep to Rosewell which means Ferguson Park would've been more ideal for me. :lol: Typical after missing loads of games because quite frankly I couldn't be arsed trekking up there!

Saint Jambo
2 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

The full Lowland League fixture list was published today, so I've created a new B Team thread for the upcoming season.

Fixtures

Home games are being played on Friday nights at Ainslie Park and there are three or four other midweek fixtures.

The B Team also has four friendlies arranged (all away) before the start of the season, just two weeks away.

Games home to Edinburgh Uni and away to Stirling Uni during the first team winter break. 

Footballfirst

I wonder if any of the youngsters who were in Spain will play tomorrow, or whether they will again be with the first team on Sunday at East End Park.

jamboinglasgow
15 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I wonder if any of the youngsters who were in Spain will play tomorrow, or whether they will again be with the first team on Sunday at East End Park.

not quite related to tomorrow (unless there is trialists at the game) but I do wonder if we will look to recruit any players for the B team or U18s. I find it curious that the club does not seem to go for signings of promising youngsters (with the odd exception) when it comes past 16 (I know they may get a few aged 16 when offer pro deals, usually ones who have left the Old Firm.)

Footballfirst
7 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

not quite related to tomorrow (unless there is trialists at the game) but I do wonder if we will look to recruit any players for the B team or U18s. I find it curious that the club does not seem to go for signings of promising youngsters (with the odd exception) when it comes past 16 (I know they may get a few aged 16 when offer pro deals, usually ones who have left the Old Firm.)

Hearts had a couple of trialists play with the U16s at the end of the season, one each from Celtic and Rangers). I've no idea if they have been offered deals.

3 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Fixtures

Hearts graphic

20230707_215716.jpg

Portable Badger
1 hour ago, Saint Jambo said:

Games home to Edinburgh Uni and away to Stirling Uni during the first team winter break. 

Great - been friggin years since I’ve beaten up a few students

Niemi’s gloves
1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

Presumably Liam McFarlane in goal, an area in which we look very light if Scott Cowie has left as well as Zach Paris. Are there any other young GKs at the club who have reached 16 or will do imminently?

Footballfirst
10 hours ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

Presumably Liam McFarlane in goal, an area in which we look very light if Scott Cowie has left as well as Zach Paris. Are there any other young GKs at the club who have reached 16 or will do imminently?

There is Milosz Sliwinski who turned 16 last month. Also Couper Wilkie who isn't 16 until the last week of September. 

48 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

There is Milosz Sliwinski who turned 16 last month. Also Couper Wilkie who isn't 16 until the last week of September. 

I know this is a fairly broad and kinda subjective view, but how close or far are any of the youngsters that went to Spain from the first team?

Niemi’s gloves

Thanks FF. So as things stand Milosz will need to be back up to Liam MacFarlane in the Lowland League (at least until late September) and Milosz and Couper will need to share the U-18 duties. Perhaps we should expect an incoming youth keeper (another released by one of the OF?).

Footballfirst

Out of those that went to Spain, Flatman and Pollock are closest, also Macaulay Tait who wasn't in Spain.  I don't know if he was injured, but he was on the bench for that last few games of the season.

Footballfirst
3 minutes ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

Thanks FF. So as things stand Milosz will need to be back up to Liam MacFarlane in the Lowland League (at least until late September) and Milosz and Couper will need to share the U-18 duties. Perhaps we should expect an incoming youth keeper (another released by one of the OF?).

I don't know what the plans are for the keepers, but I think we do need an additional one at U18/U19.

We may find out a bit more this afternoon.

17 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Fixtures

According to the Hearts FC Official website the B team only has 10 players. The under 18's have 2. 

12 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Out of those that went to Spain, Flatman and Pollock are closest, also Macaulay Tait who wasn't in Spain.  I don't know if he was injured, but he was on the bench for that last few games of the season.

FF who from the younger players do we have at RWB, thanks.

Footballfirst
2 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

FF who from the younger players do we have at RWB, thanks.

Adam Forrester.  He had a good season last year. Gets up and down the park very well and contributed a few assists and a couple goals. Perhaps not the best technically though.

Don’t forget Lyndon Tas, he will be pushing Wilkie for 18 gloves soon. Been away with England recently so he will presumably be getting increased game time.

Niemi’s gloves
10 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I thought it was interesting that out of all the youth extensions, Bobby McLuckie’s was the longest at three years. I doubt he was out of contract this summer, more probably coming to the end of the first year of a two year contract (given that he’s still eligible to play U-18 this season). So it looks like an improved an lengthened contract. Maybe the new first team management have high hopes that he can break through to the first team. 

18 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Tait has a back niggle. Will be interesting seeing who is B Team today and which young ones are heading to Dunfermline tomorrow. That will be a big indicator.

Footballfirst
6 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

According to the Hearts FC Official website the B team only has 10 players. The under 18's have 2. 

Off those 10, Jaden Ferguson left in January and is now with Lochee United.  Aiden Denholm is too old unless the change in academy eligibility dates is applied to the LL.  Bobby McLuckie is certainly not a defender.

Footballfirst
3 minutes ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

I thought it was interesting that out of all the youth extensions, Bobby McLuckie’s was the longest at three years. I doubt he was out of contract this summer, more probably coming to the end of the first year of a two year contract (given that he’s still eligible to play U-18 this season). So it looks like an improved an lengthened contract. Maybe the new first team management have high hopes that he can break through to the first team. 

My take on the new contracts was that most were extended only until the conclusion of their U20 season (B team eligibility), although there is every possibility they won't get an invite to the LL next season.

Footballfirst
8 minutes ago, Prehen said:

Don’t forget Lyndon Tas, he will be pushing Wilkie for 18 gloves soon. Been away with England recently so he will presumably be getting increased game time.

He turned 15 in May and I agree that he is likely to be pushing for the U18 gloves with Jack Lyon being the main U16 keeper.  If the club doesn't recruit anyone else, then the backups for the B team will have to be Sliwinski or Wilkie.  One issue will be the scheduling of the U18 games which are currently earmarked for Friday nights, the same as the B Team's home games.

16th Dec away to Beath will be my destination if, as I suspect, Celtic away will be screened earlier or on the Sunday. 

37 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Adam Forrester.  He had a good season last year. Gets up and down the park very well and contributed a few assists and a couple goals. Perhaps not the best technically though.

Thanks FF. Do you see him as being anywhere near being given a chance in the first team?

Portable Badger

I don't know what the plans are for the keepers, but I think we do need an additional one at U18/U19.

We may find out a bit more this afternoon.

Will you be streaming the game?

Portable Badger
1 hour ago, Prehen said:

Tait has a back niggle. Will be interesting seeing who is B Team today and which young ones are heading to Dunfermline tomorrow. That will be a big indicator.

This is a general question to everyone and not directed at you..

Back in the day when I was young I played rugby for the school 1XV in the morning, then play for the FPS 4th/5th XV in the afternoon and then on the Sunday I’d play for the FPs U18 XV.

Why can’t the youngsters play today and those required by Frankie also play tomorrow (likely to be on the bench initially)?    Are we too protective?

Edited by Portable Badger

Footballfirst

Finished 2-1, with Kirk and Thomas the scorers, although the second goal had the whiff of an o.g. about it.

Fairly fluent first half and a bit disjointed in the second with a raft of substitutions.

Went behind after 16 mins after the defence needlessly conceded a corner then failed to clear it.

Hearts equaliser was a bit similar to WW's with a quick turn and shot from Kirk.  The late winner came from a driving run from Stevenson and a neat chipped pass that saw Thomas, the WW keeper and defender all converge on the ball which was diverted into the goal.

McFarlane

Friel Flatman Nair Dall

Ross Duncan Gordon Stevenson Thomas

Kirk

Subs (used) Trialist GK, Smutek, Muirhead, Selfridge, Plesiewicz, Chisholm.

Footballfirst
3 hours ago, wavydavy said:

Thanks FF. Do you see him as being anywhere near being given a chance in the first team?

I thought he would have been quoted at least for the bench towards the end of the season after Michael Smith got injured, but the management seemed happy to play Atkinson with Hill or Sibbick as options.

I didn't see him today so he may be injured. 

A couple of others out were Macaulay Tait (stress fracture in his back) and Ethan Drysdale (yet again!).

One person who was on the bench but didn't come on was Lucas Smith.  I thought he had left the club as he has been out for a couple of years or more. He looked a good prospect when he was playing in the younger age groups, but is now an U18. 

22 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

B Team Squad (eligible players at U20/U19)

Keeper - Liam McFarlane

Defenders - Adam Forrester Callum Flatman, Luke Rathie, Bailey Dall, Ethan Drysdale

Midfielders - Macaulay Tait, Harry Gordon, Ryan Duncan, Finlay Pollock

Forwards - Mackenzie Kirk, Murray Thomas, Callum Sandilands

U18s likely to feature:

Kai Smutek, Kenzi Nair, Harvey Chisholm, Gregor Crookston, Bobby McLuckie, Mackenzie Ross, Rocco Friel, Alex Walker

U17s likely to feature

James Wilson, Gus Stevenson, Matthew Gillies, Owen Muirhead.

Thanks for posting this , I find it really useful for getting my bearings on who is what age and when they are likely to play and where 

I expect it is quite a healthy situation to have different age groups and players able to play between them . The fact that out of those three age groups you posted two of the most vaunted players are in the youngest age group but tipped for first team football makes things interesting . What does that mean for the oldest age group B team players I. The same position

Footballfirst

A bit of digging has identified the trialist keeper as Kenzie Smyth, ex St Mirren, now an U19.  An Andy Webster connection or recommendation perhaps?

49 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I thought he would have been quoted at least for the bench towards the end of the season after Michael Smith got injured, but the management seemed happy to play Atkinson with Hill or Sibbick as options.

I didn't see him today so he may be injured. 

A couple of others out were Macaulay Tait (stress fracture in his back) and Ethan Drysdale (yet again!).

One person who was on the bench but didn't come on was Lucas Smith.  I thought he had left the club as he has been out for a couple of years or more. He looked a good prospect when he was playing in the younger age groups, but is now an U18. 

Thanks FF.

Finished 2-1, with Kirk and Thomas the scorers, although the second goal had the whiff of an o.g. about it.

Fairly fluent first half and a bit disjointed in the second with a raft of substitutions.

Went behind after 16 mins after the defence needlessly conceded a corner then failed to clear it.

Hearts equaliser was a bit similar to WW's with a quick turn and shot from Kirk.  The late winner came from a driving run from Stevenson and a neat chipped pass that saw Thomas, the WW keeper and defender all converge on the ball which was diverted into the goal.

McFarlane

Friel Flatman Nair Dall

Ross Duncan Gordon Stevenson Thomas

Kirk

Subs (used) Trialist GK, Smutek, Muirhead, Selfridge, Plesiewicz, Chisholm.

So think we can assume we’ll see Stone, Rathie, Sandilands, Pollock, Wilson & McLuckie tomorrow with the first team?

Footballfirst
3 minutes ago, FionaHmfc said:

So think we can assume we’ll see Stone, Rathie, Sandilands, Pollock, Wilson & McLuckie tomorrow with the first team?

Yes. Some of them were watching today's game.

I'd expect Hearts to play tomorrow's game with multiple second half subs as they did against Plymouth.

16 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Yes. Some of them were watching today's game.

I'd expect Hearts to play tomorrow's game with multiple second half subs as they did against Plymouth.

The youngsters gave a good account of themselves in the 2nd half the other day apparently. Think Neilson and Smith played a bit more than a half each so presume the same again tomorrow. Hopefully they give another good showing and prove they can play a part this season. 

Niemi’s gloves
51 minutes ago, FionaHmfc said:

The youngsters gave a good account of themselves in the 2nd half the other day apparently. Think Neilson and Smith played a bit more than a half each so presume the same again tomorrow. Hopefully they give another good showing and prove they can play a part this season. 

It would make sense for Harry Stone to get a least half the game tomorrow if he is going to be the No 3 keeper for the first team this season and the No 2 until Craig Gordon is back

39 minutes ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

It would make sense for Harry Stone to get a least half the game tomorrow if he is going to be the No 3 keeper for the first team this season and the No 2 until Craig Gordon is back

Yep agree with this too. Needs game time and needs integrated more in games with the first team. We know what Zander can do so Harry should hopefully get plenty game time the next 3-4 weeks to get more experience. 

Thought Flatman was the standout today against Whitehill. He was head and shoulders above anyone on the pitch. Thomas and Gordon played well too. Kirk will never make it with Hearts too light weight unfortunately. 

Footballfirst
1 hour ago, Killinman said:

Thought Flatman was the standout today against Whitehill. He was head and shoulders above anyone on the pitch. Thomas and Gordon played well too. Kirk will never make it with Hearts too light weight unfortunately. 

Fair comments. Thomas was a bit in and out, struggled to beat his man out wide but much more effective when he was more central and made space for a shot.  I though Ryan Duncan and Mackenzie Ross combined well in the first half.

Portable Badger
11 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Fair comments. Thomas was a bit in and out, struggled to beat his man out wide but much more effective when he was more central and made space for a shot.  I though Ryan Duncan and Mackenzie Ross combined well in the first half.

Thanks for posting

Could you name who’s who from Hearts as I’ve no idea. Many thanks

Footballfirst
40 minutes ago, Portable Badger said:

Thanks for posting

Could you name who’s who from Hearts as I’ve no idea. Many thanks

Flatman, Thomas and Gordon as mentioned in Killinman's earlier post.

Portable Badger
On 09/07/2023 at 10:38, Footballfirst said:

Flatman, Thomas and Gordon as mentioned in Killinman's earlier post.

👍🏻Sorry I was just checking just in case it wasn’t in chronological order

carnockjambo

Given that Zander Clark maybe be out injured for start of season. What’s people’s thoughts on Stone making the step up. I was impressed with him on Sunday at EEP. 

Goldstone Wonder

I had no idea the B team was going to based at Ainslie Park this season as opposed to Rosewell. Great news as it's just up the road from me. Will try and take in the odd game. 

Niemi’s gloves
19 minutes ago, Goldstone Wonder said:

I had no idea the B team was going to based at Ainslie Park this season as opposed to Rosewell. Great news as it's just up the road from me. Will try and take in the odd game. 

Indeed. Two opportunities to see the B team in competitive action in North West Edinburgh before the first team’s season kicks off. Firstly at home to Gretna 2008 at Ainslie Park on the Friday evening 21st July and then away to Civil Service Strollers at Christie Gillies Park (off Marine Drive) on the Tuesday evening 25th July. I’m hoping to get to one or both.