Titanic "tourist" submarine

Lone Striker

Just now, BlueRiver said:

That ROV thing they have coupled with the long cable they use for missile recovery etc is on the agenda no? 

The sad aspects of this to one side - it blows my mind some of the technology humans have developed and created for hostile environments. 

And the humans who go to these places.

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• BlueRiver

• Dusk_Till_Dawn

• hughesie27

Harry Potter
3 minutes ago, Ked said:

I aways have thought the everest climb being a very dangerous ambition/hobby if thats the right word,

but at least you can stay in communication with base camp, 

The submersible isn’t going there so it can save them. It’s going so it can find them. All in my opinion of course. I find it all very odd that they’re waiting on a vessel from Europe when they’re a few hundred miles away from the biggest, richest navy in the world. 

John Findlay
1 hour ago, jim747 said:

Never let the Americans be in charge of anything. The Magellan guys should just take off regardless. The Canadians won't refuse permission to land at St John's. Get the rescue done. Argue the niceties and etiquette afterwards.

43 minutes ago, Ked said:

Agreed. Victor Vesovo (sp) is someone I knew about before all of this but I've found myself revisting his work. 

Check out the Five Deeps Expedition. Some fella. 

the posh bit

Amazing the media coverage and amount of money, time and resources being spent to find these rich playboys. Compare it to events off the coast of Greece recently, quite something. 

highlandjambo3

I’ve a feeling that they will continue to recover the sub after the timeline of survival has been reached, unless of course it has imploded into pieces.

12 minutes ago, the posh bit said:

Amazing the media coverage and amount of money, time and resources being spent to find these rich playboys. Compare it to events off the coast of Greece recently, quite something. 

Looks like we are likely beyond saving anybody, they will devote whatever resources are required to resolve what happened here. Though here's a long shot reported by some expert or other today. He said if they're at the bottom with no battery power it's freezing down there and that can make you drift off into unconsciousness.

He said it's not impossible for this to happen to all of them and if it did the oxygen usage would be massively reduced, could last up to 6 days.

22 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

I’ve a feeling that they will continue to recover the sub after the timeline of survival has been reached, unless of course it has imploded into pieces.

Wouldn't surprise me. 

Risk of sounding horrible all things considered this is probably a good exercise for a lot of the services involved and recovery of it would form part of that. 

periodictabledancer
35 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Looks like we are likely beyond saving anybody, they will devote whatever resources are required to resolve what happened here. Though here's a long shot reported by some expert or other today. He said if they're at the bottom with no battery power it's freezing down there and that can make you drift off into unconsciousness.

He said it's not impossible for this to happen to all of them and if it did the oxygen usage would be massively reduced, could last up to 6 days.

On the news last night they mentioned a US exercise to recover a F-35 plane from the Pacific to stop the Chinese getting the wreck.

The US knew roughly where it was and sent all the gear in pretty quick - it still took 35 days to lift the wreck up.

In comparison, this sub still hasn't been located yet, there's no clue as to what went wrong or even if it's salvageable so the odds don't look good. 

Just read that one of the guys trapped has the rights to remove items from the ship, he made an application in 2020 to enter the ship and retrieve the radio which make the emergency call, I'm no gambling man (I am), but I bet that was the purpose of the trip and they are trapped inside.

jack D and coke

You’d imagine they’ll have had phones with them and been filming. We might get a proper insight into it all one day if it’s found. 
Might be harrowing stuff to watch if the capsule is found pretty intact and raised…

7 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

Just read that one of the guys trapped has the rights to remove items from the ship, he made an application in 2020 to enter the ship and retrieve the radio which make the emergency call, I'm no gambling man (I am), but I bet that was the purpose of the trip and they are trapped inside.

Enter the ship how? 

12 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

They didn't have any means of recovering any items from the wreck on that submersible. 

5 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

You’d imagine they’ll have had phones with them and been filming. We might get a proper insight into it all one day if it’s found. 
Might be harrowing stuff to watch if the capsule is found pretty intact and raised…

There's a part of me that does hope that if we don't find them before the oxygen runs out that it ultimately transpires that there was a critical failure and the sub is in bits and has been since it went missing. 

We can call them as stupid and whatever as we like but the thought of that guy down there with his 19 year old son just pretty much counting down time till they suffocate...

Horrible. 

jack D and coke
5 minutes ago, BlueRiver said:

There's a part of me that does hope that if we don't find them before the oxygen runs out that it ultimately transpires that there was a critical failure and the sub is in bits and has been since it went missing. 

We can call them as stupid and whatever as we like but the thought of that guy down there with his 19 year old son just pretty much counting down time till they suffocate...

Horrible. 

There’s also a morbid part of me wants to watch and hear what they went through. Like I want to have that nightmare one night and wake up in a cold sweat :lol: 

I hate the sea. Scares the shit out of me. 

1 minute ago, jack D and coke said:

There’s also a morbid part of me wants to watch and hear what they went through. Like I want to have that nightmare one night and wake up in a cold sweat :lol: 

Aw it scares the life out of me as well. 

Growing up I had a fascination with sharks and in particular deep ocean exploration (still do - cannot get enough of those documentaries) and would've loved to be a marine biologist...until I realised that a bit of seaweed so much as brushes me in knee deep water and I'm full pelt back to the shore 🤣

20 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Enter the ship how? 

I never knew it was RMS Titanic (Royal Mail Ship).  The most famous ship on earth, just leave it alone.

"No idea.  RMS Titanic Inc. argued in a court document filed last year that little was known about the most famous radio in history and that the company wanted to recover it before conditions deteriorated further and the piece of history was lost.

The company cited a report conducted by Titanic expert Parks Stephenson, who visited the wreck in 2005, 2010 and 2019, saying that large sections of the deckhouse have collapsed since 2005.

The radio was in what was known as the Marconi Suite. The suite, made of steel, consisted of three areas: sleeping accommodations, an operator’s room and the silent room that housed the radio. Each area was separated by wood walls that officials believe have dissolved, the documents say."

13 minutes ago, BlueRiver said:

We can call them as stupid and whatever as we like

I don't think they were stupid, they thought it was safe and I expect a lot of people might have thought that since there have been many dives to the wreck, and nothing like this ever happened. It was definitely adventurist but not stupid.  

8 minutes ago, BlueRiver said:

Growing up I had a fascination with sharks and in particular deep ocean exploration (still do - cannot get enough of those documentaries) and would've loved to be a marine biologist...until I realised that a bit of seaweed so much as brushes me in knee deep water and I'm full pelt back to the shore 🤣

That journalist I previously mentioned who dived to the wreck and got into trouble, that guy said he had a lifelong fear of deep water before ever diving to the Titanic, he summoned the will power to do it for career advancement. In that hour he thought they were goners that must have made it even more of a torture.

5 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

I don't think they were stupid, they thought it was safe and I expect a lot of people might have thought that since there have been many dives to the wreck, and nothing like this ever happened. It was definitely adventurist but not stupid.  

Me neither tbh but there are folk that are taking that view. 

I think the fact that they're very wealthy has somewhat sabotaged people's empathy. 

jack D and coke
24 minutes ago, BlueRiver said:

Like Jonny Weissmuller back to shore 😂

I have an apartment over there. This is the beach I use sometimes. Twice in a week these have been in the water.

Blue shark supposed to be no danger whatsoever to humans but I’d be throwing bairns in its path as I shot through the water like a torpedo back to the land. 

Edited by jack D and coke

5 minutes ago, BlueRiver said:

Me neither tbh but there are folk that are taking that view. 

I think the fact that they're very wealthy has somewhat sabotaged people's empathy. 

Maybe putting a face to them might help, turns out the teenager is a student at  the University of Strathclyde. This is a link to a breaking news  full article about him and his father who are both in the craft.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-65984821

A photograph of them to put faces on it.

_130174817_suleman-reuters.jpg

rudi must stay
54 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Enter the ship how? 

He'll be in the ship just now. I hope he brought his paintbrush 

7 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Must be about out of air now?

They reckon the oxygen would’ve ran out about an hour ago.

I hope that’s not what’s killed them. I can’t even begin to imagine how terrified they would’ve been if they had been stuck for days with their oxygen slowly running out.

Thunder and Lightning
9 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

They reckon the oxygen would’ve ran out about an hour ago.

I hope that’s not what’s killed them. I can’t even begin to imagine how terrified they would’ve been if they had been stuck for days with their oxygen slowly running out.

By applying basics maths then yes, however, we have no way to determine the state of those inside.  If all remained calm (unlikely) then there may be oxygen left.  As the oxygen levels fall, they will tire easily and sleep, this in turn will reduce the oxygen used.  It does alter their ability to continue to bang on the hull each 30 mins tho hampering any attempt to signal rescuers.  Fitness will play a part as well in regards oxygen usage, as will unfortunately each one succumbing to oxygen deprivation, hypothermia etc.  Each death will slightly increase the chances of survival for a short period of those left alive.

I am sure those that understand it better than i will have run a million models on this, I just know if it were anyone i know id want them performing Search and Rescue for as long as even statistically insignificantly possible.

il Duce McTarkin
1 hour ago, jack D and coke said:

Shitebag.

il Duce McTarkin
1 hour ago, BlueRiver said:

Shitebag anaw.

jack D and coke
Just now, Dirk McTarkin said:

Shitebag.

:muggy:
Can’t deny in all honesty. Like the water but man the sea gives me the fear. 

Anyone watched The Last Breath on Netflix?  True story with real footage, absolutely unbelievable situation on a deep sea dive to inspect an oil well tap and his cord got caught and severed, the guy lived for far longer because he was in freezing conditions, he only had 5 minutes of oxygen in his back up tank and lived for 30 minutes, only because they happened to bump into him lying on top of something.

2 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

Anyone watched The Last Breath on Netflix?  True story with real footage, absolutely unbelievable situation on a deep sea dive to inspect an oil well tap and his cord got caught and severed, the guy lived for far longer because he was in freezing conditions, he only had 5 minutes of oxygen in his back up tank and lived for 30 minutes, only because they happened to bump into him lying on top of something.

Yeah. Incredible story and well worth a watch.

jack D and coke
13 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

This one freaks me out a bit too…

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/dec/03/video-rescue-ships-cook-three-days-under-water

3 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

That one ****ing terrifies me! Nevermind being trapped underwater in a sub. Being in that sort of situation is my worst nightmare. 

I blame Jaws. The bit when the ship is already half sunk and the shark is all over the place lives rent free in my head 🤣

Edited by BlueRiver

25 minutes ago, Dirk McTarkin said:

Shitebag.

One of my most endearing memories is standing on top of the deck rail hanging onto a stanchion and pissing over the end of the boat into a Force 9 gale as my view changed repeatedly between one of complete sky and complete wall of water. One of the most exhilarating things I've ever done. It can be deadly, and it should be both respected and feared, but the sea is something else. I love it.

jack D and coke
18 minutes ago, BlueRiver said:

That one ****ing terrifies me! Nevermind being trapped underwater in a sub. Being in that sort of situation is my worst nightmare. 

I blame Jaws. The bit when the ship is already half sunk and the shark is all over the place lives rent free in my head 🤣

Jaws has subconsciously ruined millions of ***** enjoyment of the sea :lol: 

No two ways about it. 

jack D and coke
18 minutes ago, redjambo said:

One of my most endearing memories is standing on top of the deck rail hanging onto a stanchion and pissing over the end of the boat into a Force 9 gale as my view changed repeatedly between one of complete sky and complete wall of water. One of the most exhilarating things I've ever done. It can be deadly, and it should be both respected and feared, but the sea is something else. I love it.

I went from Holyhead to Dun Loghaire on a catamaran on a seriously windy day,  I didn’t even think it was going to sail the winds were that strong. Well it did and **** me it’s a couple of hours I did not enjoy one bit. Nothing was open on the crossing and you could hear glass breaking and stuff as things fell about as it rocked back and forward. 
I was a smoker then and stayed outside almost the whole crossing endlessy tabbing holding on like a ******* to the railings.

A nightmare :lol: 

il Duce McTarkin
26 minutes ago, redjambo said:

:sweeet:

10 meter seas in the Bay of Biscay are where it's at.

We once turned west to head into a storm not far off the coast of Cork, and were half way to America before we could turn the boat back around.

***t to get any sleep, mind.

2 minutes ago, Dirk McTarkin said:

:sweeet:

10 meter seas in the Bay of Biscay are where it's at.

We once turned west to head into a storm not far off the coast of Cork, and were half way to America before we could turn the boat back around.

***t to get any sleep, mind.

:D She can get mighty playful at times, the sea.

henrysmithsgloves
4 hours ago, the posh bit said:

:spoton:

For the comparison with Greece. Aren't the European countries in that area spending money on search and rescue? 

As for coverage I'm sure they could televise them pulling children out the water dead if that's what you want to see. 

What's happened in Greece is tragic but its no longer a rescue operation as far as I'm aware is it? 

That thing you do
1 hour ago, Armageddon said:

Yeah I saw it and its quite incredible the boy got out of that.

Edited by That thing you do

43 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Rookie mistake, IMO. :lol: 

I'm also sure some would question their right to assistance considering their lack of insurance and high risk actions 🤨

There's already 9 boys in court over that disaster in the Med. 

But aye no one is spending any money on it or doing anything about it. 

Plenty coverage for anybody that can be half arsed looking. 

That thing you do
1 hour ago, hughesie27 said:

Must be about out of air now?

The truth is its hard to tell because its never been tested. They have slats in the vessel that converts co2 into oxygen and then theres powered supply plus there are oxygen tanks in the floor as well.

96 hours is approx. Those filters work better than expected could be longer, its an estimate. The reasonable assumption is double the 96 hours and thats your best case ceiling.

But since the vessel is built with parts from B&Q and a gaming store, youd have to imagine the max supply is less rather than more.

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Titanic "tourist" submarine