Titanic "tourist" submarine

Lone Striker

11 minutes ago, Dirk McTarkin said:

At least the interest rate rises wont affect them now, Dazo. Small mercies and all that.

Tory voters Dirk, completely unaffected anyway. 3 lost votes for the next election though. 

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• BlueRiver

• Dusk_Till_Dawn

• hughesie27

Guy on Sky News just got a Whatsapp and confirmed the debris is the submersible. Rear "pointy end" and a landing gear been found.

Samuel Camazzola

Expert with connections to recovery crews on Sky News just now. He's just received Intel that debris relates to two parts of sub (landing frame being one). More to follow after the break... 👀 

James Cameron and Bill Paxton had lunch on the deck of the titanic (in a sub) on 11/9/2001

Probably the best "where were you"

highlandjambo3
11 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Guy on Sky News just got a Whatsapp and confirmed the debris is the submersible. Rear "pointy end" and a landing gear been found.

So….it’s plausible (pure speculation) that the sub imploded at the time of the communications failure…….a few days back then.

Just now, highlandjambo3 said:

So….it’s plausible (pure speculation) that the sub imploded at the time of the communications failure…….a few days back then.

Highly likely I'd say. Perhaps the controller has a bit stick drift and it drove them right into the Titanic which punched a hole in it.

8 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Highly likely I'd say. Perhaps the controller has a bit stick drift and it drove them right into the Titanic which punched a hole in it.

😂😂

So infuriating at the best of times!

Bungalow Bill
9 minutes ago, Dean Winchester said:

Pretty impressive that they've found it so quickly to be fair.

Incredible really. 

12 minutes ago, Dean Winchester said:

Why do you say that?

1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

Would the older dudes top themselves, so the young lad has a better chance of survival?

Doesn't matter. They're all dead. 

jack D and coke
28 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

:lol: 

2 minutes ago, BlueRiver said:

Doesn't matter. They're all dead. 

Just heard they found some wreckage. A fecking shame to go through that.

Edited by ri Alban

Just now, ri Alban said:

Just heard they found some wreckage. Aa fecking shame to go through that.

Tbh I'm hoping it was when they lost comms and they never had to even start considering the type of thing you were asking.

Instant and hopefully knew nothing about it. 

Just now, BlueRiver said:

Tbh I'm hoping it was when they lost comms and they never had to even start considering the type of thing you were asking.

A tragic event. I hope no one suffered, as you say, quick and unaware.

5 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Who the **** was banging at 30 minute intervals...

:berra:

Aliens.

7 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Who the **** was banging at 30 minute intervals...

:berra:

An octopus with a dark sense of humour. 

10 minutes ago, BlueRiver said:

If they were down several thousand feet and had a hull failure, the vessel would have imploded and all 5 aboard would have died instantly..  Very tragic, but probably a better way to go than suffocating over several days.

CavySlaveJambo
54 minutes ago, Dean Winchester said:

First time the 6000m ROV’s have been down, so it has been on the sea floor where it was heading to the whole time. 

13 minutes ago, CavySlaveJambo said:

First time the 6000m ROV’s have been down, so it has been on the sea floor where it was heading to the whole time. 

My thoughts too, first place you’d look I’d have thought. 

That thing you do

If it imploded at time of comms loss then the good news is the crew would have died instantly and had no knowledge as it would happen instantly. They just said that the implosion is prior to sonar arriving on site as it wasnt picked up. So worst case they were stuck a day and a half but most likely gone instantly.

If it imploded days after it got stuck it might have been sabotage given they were dying anyway.

Who knows.

But either way, condolences to the passengers families.

And to the CEO who said "he could cheat safety and get away with it" did ye, aye. 

Litigation central incoming.

Edited by That thing you do

The Real Maroonblood
2 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Its a rather large area to search, 

Apparently 5 times the size of London.

2 hours ago, Ked said:

Why do you say that?

Because he thought it was pretty impressive that they found it so quickly?  🤷🏿‍♂️

So obviously they've found the debris, but have they actually found the submersible? I'm not actually sure what implosion means in this context - like I'm thinking can crushing itself? 

Bloody shame for all involved though. Hate water.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
1 minute ago, OTT said:

So obviously they've found the debris, but have they actually found the submersible? I'm not actually sure what implosion means in this context - like I'm thinking can crushing itself? 

Bloody shame for all involved though. Hate water.

Implosion basically means catastrophic failure and blown to bits

Dusk_Till_Dawn
19 minutes ago, That thing you do said:

If it imploded at time of comms loss then the good news is the crew would have died instantly and had no knowledge as it would happen instantly. They just said that the implosion is prior to sonar arriving on site as it wasnt picked up. So worst case they were stuck a day and a half but most likely gone instantly.

If it imploded days after it got stuck it might have been sabotage given they were dying anyway.

Who knows.

But either way, condolences to the passengers families.

And to the CEO who said "he could cheat safety and get away with it" did ye, aye. 

Litigation central incoming.

Given that the CEO is dead and no-one would ever trust them again, that company will go bust. No-one will see any money sadly 

9 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

And more. Nicely described here. Well maybe nice isn’t the right word. 

7 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Jesus. Oddly thats a more comforting idea than it crushing itself from the pressure. Instantaneous and all that. Suffocating or having any awareness of what was happening would be horrifying. 

Doesn't sound good for figuring out what happened, although from that video that @That thing you do has posted above, it looks like there were fairly reasonable safety concerns - the lack of certification, the material used & quality of the construction combined with missing deadlines. I can't imagine the survivors guilt that guy is feeling. What a horror show though. It sounds like it was an avoidable error. 

CavySlaveJambo
2 minutes ago, OTT said:

Jesus. Oddly thats a more comforting idea than it crushing itself from the pressure. Instantaneous and all that. Suffocating or having any awareness of what was happening would be horrifying. 

Doesn't sound good for figuring out what happened, although from that video that @That thing you do has posted above, it looks like there were fairly reasonable safety concerns - the lack of certification, the material used & quality of the construction combined with missing deadlines. I can't imagine the survivors guilt that guy is feeling. What a horror show though. It sounds like it was an avoidable error. 

Carbon Fibre is a great material depending on what you are using it for.  But it has never been tested  at depths with large amounts of pressure.  

13 minutes ago, Tazio said:

So they died in the best possible way.

Edited by hughesie27

Just now, CavySlaveJambo said:

Carbon Fibre is a great material depending on what you are using it for.  But it has never been tested  at depths with large amounts of pressure.  

I've very little understanding of that kind of stuff, I was just listing what the video had discussed. The guy seemed to highlight that the norm for that kind of stuff is steel, albeit going to the bottom of the sea can hardly be considered normal!! :D 

Pretty insane to think they were using it with what appears to be minimal testing for tourist trips. The lack of certification too is pretty troubling - I wonder if this is connected, i.e would getting certification due to the material used be an issue?

13 minutes ago, Tazio said:

And one of the press asked the rear admiral about recovering the crew 🫤 what a crass question. 

I've seen the Abyss so even I knew the chance of that was pretty low. 

CavySlaveJambo
Just now, OTT said:

I've very little understanding of that kind of stuff, I was just listing what the video had discussed. The guy seemed to highlight that the norm for that kind of stuff is steel, albeit going to the bottom of the sea can hardly be considered normal!! :D 

Pretty insane to think they were using it with what appears to be minimal testing for tourist trips. The lack of certification too is pretty troubling - I wonder if this is connected, i.e would getting certification due to the material used be an issue?

Or Titanium. 

As for Certification and Testing,  it would cost them money and take time,   And everyone saw how the owner reacted to criticism.  

the posh bit
6 hours ago, been here before said:

Please dont spoil their virtue signalling.

Virtue signalling, a term used by the Gammonati as they strut about wearing poppies in September. 😉

On 20/06/2023 at 07:23, Sooperstar said:

My guess is that it has suffered some kind of catastrophic event and will never be found. 

Well done to them for finding it. 

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Titanic "tourist" submarine