Titanic "tourist" submarine

Lone Striker

Lone Striker

What sort of "tourist" does this ?   And why ? 

titanic wreck

titanic wreck

A submersible watercraft that takes tourists to view the wreck of the Titanic has gone missing in the Atlantic, it has been reported.

A search and rescue mission has been launched according to the BBC.

Tours to the wreck of the Titanic which was discovered in 1985 can cost up to $250,000.

The shipwreck is located at the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean, 370 miles off the coast of Canada.

• Replies 814
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• BlueRiver

• Dusk_Till_Dawn

• hughesie27

been here before
9 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

titanic wreck

titanic wreck

A submersible watercraft that takes tourists to view the wreck of the Titanic has gone missing in the Atlantic, it has been reported.

Tours to the wreck of the Titanic which was discovered in 1985 can cost up to $250,000.

The shipwreck is located at the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean, 370 miles off the coast of Canada.

Same folk that walk round graveyards, visit old battlefields, go to Gracelands, visit the Texas book depository or that sort of thing I imagine.

Why not?

Edited by been here before

1 hour ago, Lone Striker said:

titanic wreck

titanic wreck

That would be an excellent trip. 

Greedy Jambo

I probably wouldn't, to be fair, seen enough pictures of it without having to risk my life. 

I wouldn't get on a Helicopter either, mind you. 

11 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Who wouldn't?

Probably anyone with submechanophobia, or claustrophobia (assuming the dive vessel isn't that big).

If I was on it and something went wrong I’d rather it just folded in. Instead of sitting waiting for your air to run out. 

titanic wreck

titanic wreck

A rich one.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
20 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

I probably wouldn't, to be fair, seen enough pictures of it without having to risk my life. 

I wouldn't get on a Helicopter either, mind you. 

helicopters are absolute pieces of shit which crash all the time. I’m with you bro 

Greedy Jambo
Just now, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

helicopters are absolute pieces of shit which crash all the time. I’m with you bro 

There's no fail safe either, if something goes wrong, you're done for. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Sky News just now saying that the Sub will naturally float and is weighted down. Those weights will automatically jettison if its in danger. So chances are they'll reach the surface at least and presumably be able to open the hatch when they do for air?

47 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

To be fair, they mostly only crash once.

Dick Dastardly
55 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

There's no fail safe either, if something goes wrong, you're done for. 

Ejector seats? 

19 minutes ago, JKB Member C said:

To be fair, they mostly only crash once.

😄👏

23 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Ejector seats? 

As long as they wheech you sideyways and not straight up!

33 minutes ago, Boof said:

As long as they wheech you sideyways and not straight up!

I think on at least one type of military helicopter the rotors get jettisoned before the ejector seat gets launched. Still a lot that could go wrong though!

davemclaren

I was on a mini submarine on Grand Cayman that took us out to the end of the reef and you could look down into the darkened depths.  It made me feel a tad uncomfortable. 🥸

Lone Striker
3 hours ago, Taffin said:

Probably anyone with submechanophobia, or claustrophobia (assuming the dive vessel isn't that big).

Indeed.  Its 22 feet long, and there's 5 folk on board.  Enough  emergency life-support air to last 96 hours apparently.   Given the likely depth &  ocean currents, its not looking good.    

3 hours ago, Taffin said:

There's a WWII American submarine docked in San Francisco as a tourist attraction, the USS Pampanito.  It looks very large, but I found it claustrophobic inside.  

There is absolutely zero chance you'd get me into that tiny Titanic contraption, where you're locked inside for 8 hours or so.  Submariners are clearly a special breed.

2 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

There's a WWII American submarine docked in San Francisco as a tourist attraction, the USS Pampanito.  It looks very large, but I found it claustrophobic inside.  

There is absolutely zero chance you'd get me into that tiny Titanic contraption, where you're locked inside for 8 hours or so.  Submariners are clearly a special breed.

A mate joined the navy and fancied being a submariner. He got so far into the training and then gave up when he realised he didn’t have the mindset to spend weeks and weeks underwater. Even the higher wage wasn’t enough to lure him and he ended up in destroyers. 

20 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

I thought about this a lot watching those little subs that took James Cameron etc to the bottom of the Mariana trench or to see the Titanic. 

I don't think you could pay me enough. 

Which is weird considering I'd (in my mind just now sat in my lovely living room) would be totally comfortable with the idea of space travel and ultimately what's the difference between a small command module and a sub? 

Indeed.  Its 22 feet long, and there's 5 folk on board.  Enough  emergency life-support air to last 96 hours apparently.   Given the likely depth &  ocean currents, its not looking good.    

56 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Interestingly it's the first one for me, rather than the claustrophobia.

Gives me the absolute heebie-jeebies. If it was just to look at the sea bed etc I'd be up for it.

I'd love to explore wrecks and the like but it just turns my stomach.

Edited by Taffin

Bindy Badgy
10 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

Sky News just now saying that the Sub will naturally float and is weighted down. Those weights will automatically jettison if its in danger. So chances are they'll reach the surface at least and presumably be able to open the hatch when they do for air?

Apparently, the hatch can't be opened from the inside. Source for this is someone on Reddit, which is obviously a shit source!

Report saying you are locked in from the outside by a couple of huge bolts.

With no chance of escape apart from outside help.

Nightmare stuff, hope they are found and rescued quickly.🤞

You can't escape into the water and just ascend to safety if it's at the bottom.  It's almost 3,000 meters.  That's 300 atmospheres / 300 bar pressure.  Instantaneous death.

57 minutes ago, Victorian said:

You can't escape into the water and just ascend to safety if it's at the bottom.  It's almost 3,000 meters.  That's 300 atmospheres / 300 bar pressure.  Instantaneous death.

I think the suggestion was that the actual submariney thing would automatically float to the top if in distress.

henrysmithsgloves
8 hours ago, OTT said:

**** that. I couldn't think of anything worse. 

Stuck in a sub with Hibs supporters 😳

Harry Potter
13 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

Who wouldn't?

Me, ive enough problems getting on a plane, heres hoping they get rescued.

38 minutes ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

Stuck in a sub with Hibs supporters 😳

A Hibs Class sub. Substandard.

Hope they manage to survive.

However, if something goes wrong at that depth then they’re probably ******.

I’m sure there will be a few inheritors that are waiting with baited breath :whistling:

John Findlay

You want to know how limited space is on submarines? Then visit the Submarine museum at Gosport in Hants.

They have the original Holland I there, and you get a tour around Hms Alliance a British WWII submarine. Learn about hot pitting. That's where when a submariner went on watch, the guy coming off watch sleeps in the just vacated bunk. Was the practise until the UK paid off all its O and P class diesel submarines.

All submariners had to pass the tank exercise to qualify as a submariner.

This was a 100ft tank at Hms Dolphin, Gosport that you had to ascend without stopping as it simulated escaping from a submarine in trouble. This is now at Faslane as Dolphin was closed due to defence cuts.

The Real Maroonblood
31 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Me, ive enough problems getting on a plane, heres hoping they get rescued.

I used to be the same but for some reason it doesn’t bother me now.

davemclaren

As well as my Cayman island submarine I toured a submarine in the late 60s when I went to Rosyth an a trip with the BB.  You really have to be made of stern stuff to live and work on one of them. 

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Titanic "tourist" submarine