Titanic "tourist" submarine

Lone Striker

davemclaren

The argument around that they knew the risks were high so they shouldn't expect rescue is an interesting one.  You could argue the same for the idiots that go up mountains in their shorts and flip flops or people who go swimming in dangerous area or even, in terms of expecting health care, junkies, smokers or drinkers that overdo it and get I'll. They've essentially brought it on themselves so do they not deserve to be 'rescued' from a humanitarian/moral perspective? 

• Replies 814
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• BlueRiver

• Dusk_Till_Dawn

• hughesie27

Dusk_Till_Dawn
3 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

The argument around that they knew the risks were high so they shouldn't expect rescue is an interesting one.  You could argue the same for the idiots that go up mountains in their shorts and flip flops or people who go swimming in dangerous area or even, in terms of expecting health care, junkies, smokers or drinkers that overdo it and get I'll. They've essentially brought it on themselves so do they not deserve to be 'rescued' from a humanitarian/moral perspective? 

They do deserve to be rescued but at the same time, they deserve to be hung out to dry and criticised as blatant idiots and, in this case, rich, privileged twats

davemclaren
7 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

They do deserve to be rescued but at the same time, they deserve to be hung out to dry and criticised as blatant idiots and, in this case, rich, privileged twats

I agree. 

Samuel Camazzola

It may have already been quoted on this thread... Has it been mentioned how many 'excursions' the sub has completed to date? 

JudyJudyJudy
18 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Agreed. Its very ghoulish and disrespectful to visit this mass grave really. 

3 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Jesus. Hadn’t thought about this scenario. 

Will it not be pressurized so opening it up too quickly would result in them dying instantly?

If it hasn't resurfaced already then something has seriously gone wrong as I am sure I seen it has about 17 fail safes of getting it to resurface. It's perhaps caught on a net or even the Titanic itself. 

ArcticJambo

On the radio today, some expert mentioned that if even a minute crack had appeared, where water could come in, at that pressure the 'spray' would be like a razor blade! Thought that was pretty cool!

Also, in the vid did the Titan have a top window of sorts? If so emergency location devices like Spot should be able to GPS a position if it made it to the surface.

31 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

A56E08B2-8964-4CB9-8C6B-BBAB62C61F2F.jpeg

7 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Will it not be pressurized so opening it up too quickly would result in them dying instantly?

If it hasn't resurfaced already then something has seriously gone wrong as I am sure I seen it has about 17 fail safes of getting it to resurface. It's perhaps caught on a net or even the Titanic itself. 

I don’t think so as the pressure inside a sub is kept at roughly the same as the surface and you’re not breathing a gas mix like a diver. The strength of the hull makes this possible as it resists the outside pressure. 

Just now, Tazio said:

I don’t think so as the pressure inside a sub is kept at roughly the same as the surface and you’re not breathing a gas mix like a diver. The strength of the hull makes this possible as it resists the outside pressure. 

Makes it a very bizarre choice to be unable to open it from the inside then!

Just now, hughesie27 said:

Makes it a very bizarre choice to be unable to open it from the inside then!

Possibly the only way they could guarantee a tight enough seal was to make it one way. That’s purely guesswork from me though. 

Submersible experts wrote to OceanGate CEO expressing concern

The New York Times has unearthed a 2018 letter sent by submersible experts to Stockton Rush, the CEO of OceanGate. 

The authors of the letter expressed "unanimous concern" over the approach taken by OceanGate when building the Titan and warned of potential "catastrophic" issues with its design.

They also said OceanGate was making "misleading" claims about its design exceeding established industry safety standards and urged Rush to institute a prototype testing program reviewed and witnessed by an accredited registrar.

"It is our unanimous view that this validation process by a third-party is a critical component in the safeguards that protect all submersible occupants," the letter read.

The NYT said a spokesperson for OceanGate declined to comment

30 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

On the radio today, some expert mentioned that if even a minute crack had appeared, where water could come in, at that pressure the 'spray' would be like a razor blade! Thought that was pretty cool!

Also, in the vid did the Titan have a top window of sorts? If so emergency location devices like Spot should be able to GPS a position if it made it to the surface.

This.

If there is ingress then the water would fill the submersible in about a minute or so.  400 atmospheres of pressure at the sea bed at roughly 4,000 meters depth.  Might even cause total implosion within a second.  Goodnight.

Edited by Victorian

1 hour ago, Taffin said:

Sorry I'll stop discussing it. Silly me, thought it was the point of a thread.

Wasn't having a go T, apologies if it came across like that. I was just trying to say that nobody outwith the company and the families knows exactly what, if any, insurance was/is in place. 

Plenty companies will do insurance for 'high risk' activities, ski-ing for example. You're just going to pay dearly for it. 

54 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

Same thing with superheated steam. There was an accident at a power plant in Japan (I'm sure it was?) where three operators walked past a leak and it cut them clean in half. 

When I worked at BP Saltend chemical plant we were tasked to go find a leak in one of the boiler houses. The maintenance guy I was with pointed to an umbrella stand with a half dozen 5 foot broom handles right inside the door. His words were, 'if you suspect a superheated steam leak you go looking for it with one of them. Because you can't see it until you walk straight into it'. Sure enough. We found it when it chopped the first 2 feet of one of the handles off.

ArcticJambo
1 minute ago, trotter said:

Same thing with superheated steam. There was an accident at a power plant in Japan (I'm sure it was?) where three operators walked past a leak and it cut them clean in half. 

When I worked at BP Saltend chemical plant we were tasked to go find a leak in one of the boiler houses. The maintenance guy I was with pointed to an umbrella stand with a half dozen 5 foot broom handles right inside the door. His words were, 'if you suspect a superheated steam leak you go looking for it with one of them. Because you can't see it until you walk straight into it'. Sure enough. We found it when it chopped the first 2 feet of one of the handles off.

eek! Might be a better way to go than slowly suffocating to death. Hope for an instant implosive death.  Just googled 'most unusual ways to die' and came up with this ....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_unusual_deaths

Lets hope it doesn't come to pass but I suspect they're hooped!

Hope that they are found alive and well. I'd never do that but it is not for me, or anyone else, to tell other people how they should spend their money. 

Thinking of their families at this time.

17 minutes ago, trotter said:

My navy mate I mentioned earlier in the thread tells a story about when he was on a ship and the instruments told them there was a steam leak on a line. The went along with a bit of 3x1 timber wafted in front of them looking for it. Same result as your broom handle. 

If there is 40 hours of oxygen left for 5 men, do they increase that time if one of them……..ahem……..dies ?

periodictabledancer

Apologies if this is a Peebles moment, but how are these guys allowed to take people to the bottom of the ocean in this Micky Mouse operation 

US media is reporting emails which say a Canadian search aircraft detected "banging" in 30-minute intervals coming from the area where the sub disappeared.

38 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

US media is reporting emails which say a Canadian search aircraft detected "banging" in 30-minute intervals coming from the area where the sub disappeared.

I could be wrong but I’m sure a guy said yesterday that even if they located them they have no way of rescuing them 

18 minutes ago, theshed said:

I could be wrong but I’m sure a guy said yesterday that even if they located them they have no way of rescuing them 

I'd imagine it depends on the circumstances they find them. 

30 minutes ago, theshed said:

I know next to nothing about this type of thing, but i'm thinking if they're on the bottom I can see no way to do anything. At least not in time.

31 minutes ago, theshed said:

I’d imagine if they were at the bottom of the ocean then that would be the case. Strange that is hasn’t resurfaced though. 

Shooter McGavin
36 minutes ago, theshed said:

From what I was reading on Sky News, it sounds like rescuers are really hoping they are just bobbing along at surface level, cause if not, they’re pretty limited in what they can do.

Hard to imagine there’s anything that can be done if they’re found down at the sea bed.

davemclaren
10 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

From what I was reading on Sky News, it sounds like rescuers are really hoping they are just bobbing along at surface level, cause if not, they’re pretty limited in what they can do.

Hard to imagine there’s anything that can be done if they’re found down at the sea bed.

I suspect this is the case.  

11 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

This thing doesn’t have gps on it ? I’d find that incredible, negligent and unbelievably shortsighted. 

Harry Potter
1 hour ago, theshed said:

Thats the big problem, getting down to them, nightmare.

Shooter McGavin
34 minutes ago, Dazo said:

This thing doesn’t have gps on it ? I’d find that incredible, negligent and unbelievably shortsighted. 

Probably a reason behind that, but I’m far from being clued up on that kind of thing. Maybe just no signal at that kind of depth or the likes.

Shooter McGavin
19 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Thats the big problem, getting down to them, nightmare.

Sounds like there are very few subs designed to go down as far as that, and even if they got their hands on one and got down, what then? It’s not like they can just open the door and shepherd them into the rescue sub, sounds like they’d need to try and latch onto it somehow and lift it up towards the surface but I’ve yet to see a report of such a sub existing.

And if it’s tangled up by Titanic then I really can’t see how they can mount a rescue from there. 

Absolutely no expert by any means, but sounds like this is only going to end one way.

Dean Winchester
2 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Sounds like there are very few subs designed to go down as far as that, and even if they got their hands on one and got down, what then? It’s not like they can just open the door and shepherd them into the rescue sub, sounds like they’d need to try and latch onto it somehow and lift it up towards the surface but I’ve yet to see a report of such a sub existing.

And if it’s tangled up by Titanic then I really can’t see how they can mount a rescue from there. 

Absolutely no expert by any means, but sounds like this is only going to end one way.

I read there are a couple of machines owned by the US Navy that can be remotely piloted down to those depths and could attach a rescue line for retrieval but I imagine those things take months to be redeployed. 

9 hours ago, trotter said:

Wasn't having a go T, apologies if it came across like that. I was just trying to say that nobody outwith the company and the families knows exactly what, if any, insurance was/is in place. 

Plenty companies will do insurance for 'high risk' activities, ski-ing for example. You're just going to pay dearly for it. 

I was being huffy, sorry. I accept in surmising. I tried to find the excerpt I'd read to share but as it was buried in a live feed I'm now struggling to find it again.

54 minutes ago, Dazo said:

GPS wouldn't work at those depths. You'd think they'd have it inboard incase they surfaced though. Or one of those beacon devices that many ships have. You'd think these would be basic things!

Edited by hughesie27

28 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

The Titanic sank? Ffs I've not watched the film yet. Spoiler alert ffs! 

Better watch it before the sequel comes out. 

I tend to suspect there is military capability to perform retrievals at extreme depths.  As you can imagine,  the military would be fairly keen to retrieve a nuclear warhead if one went missing (broken arrow).  

18 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

GPS wouldn't work at those depths. You'd think they'd have it inboard incase they surfaced though. Or one of those beacon devices that many ships have. You'd think these would be basic things!

That’s what I was meaning for it when it resurfaced obviously not for 2 miles under the sea. 😊

Seems ridiculous considering the failsafe is apparently to resurface after any issues and they can’t get out from the inside. 

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Titanic "tourist" submarine