• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• BlueRiver

• Dusk_Till_Dawn

• hughesie27

By The Light..

3800 meters deep nope that ain't happening the pressure at 3 meters is bad enough for me!

I've been 3800 meters high (12,500ft) in Chamonix love it but lack of oxygen apparent.

14 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

helicopters are absolute pieces of shit which crash all the time. I’m with you bro 

I have always thought it's an inherently unstable form of flight. The overhead rotor is trying to spin the cabin, the tail rotor is negating this effect and that's quite a fine balancing act even in the best of conditions. Around 25% of all helicopter crashes come down to mechanical failure, imagine the shit you're in if that tail rotor stops spinning. Helicopters are indisputably more likely to crash than any other type of aircraft.

The fatality rate is apparently around 1.7 per 100,000 flight hours, I would still fly in one but wouldn't want to do it habitually. And definitely wouldn't want to be a helicopter pilot.

I think I read of some sort of atmospheric condition called something like empty air, there can be patches of it at specific heights where the air is unusually thinner to some degree, or something like that, and if a helicopter hits this condition it can drop like a stone no matter how good the pilot. A plane would still glide.

The fatality rate for planes is also slightly over 1 per 100,000 hours but they fly many millions more hours and carry many millions more people.

The industry 2022 fatality risk of 0.11 means that on average, a person would need to take a flight every day for 25,214 years to experience a 100% fatal accident.

16 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

What sort of "tourist" does this ?   And why ?

It's definitely a fascinating adventure if all goes well, which presumably it usually does. And beyond the adventure well it's obviously very expensive, exclusive so to speak, and something for them to brag about.

There was an American businessman sometime after the collapse of the Soviet Union who payed $20 million to go up in a Soyuz spacecraft and spent a week on the ISS.

Guy on news this morning saying it take 2 and a half hours to get down to the bottom😱

40 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

I have always thought it's an inherently unstable form of flight. The overhead rotor is trying to spin the cabin, the tail rotor is negating this effect and that's quite a fine balancing act even in the best of conditions. Around 25% of all helicopter crashes come down to mechanical failure, imagine the shit you're in if that tail rotor stops spinning. Helicopters are indisputably more likely to crash than any other type of aircraft.

The fatality rate is apparently around 1.7 per 100,000 flight hours, I would still fly in one but wouldn't want to do it habitually. And definitely wouldn't want to be a helicopter pilot.

I think I read of some sort of atmospheric condition called something like empty air, there can be patches of it at specific heights where the air is unusually thinner to some degree, or something like that, and if a helicopter hits this condition it can drop like a stone no matter how good the pilot. A plane would still glide.

The fatality rate for planes is also slightly over 1 per 100,000 hours but they fly many millions more hours and carry many millions more people.

The industry 2022 fatality risk of 0.11 means that on average, a person would need to take a flight every day for 25,214 years to experience a 100% fatal accident.

I flew in a helicopter to visit the Franz Josef glacier in New Zealand. The pilot was a bit of a show off and it has put me off flying in one again. It’s completely different from being in a plane. 

17 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

I flew in a helicopter to visit the Franz Josef glacier in New Zealand. The pilot was a bit of a show off and it has put me off flying in one again. It’s completely different from being in a plane. 

My only helicopter experience too, except I loved it and it's made me want to go in one again!

Was meant to be in one to go to the Grand Canyon this year but it got pulled due to weather. The 17 hour bus trip was worse. That I will never do again 😂

Салатные палочки

I've been on a Royal Navy sub while it was docked in Faslane. After that experience, there is not a chance in hell I would choose to be submerged in one. Especially one that size. 

See the BBC clip showing that there's only one button on the inside and it's controlled with a Logitec XBox controller, 100% the batteries have gone.

Is the weight thing true?  Can they be detached remotely and it floats to the top (not at 100mph so their heads blow).

24 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

See the BBC clip showing that there's only one button on the inside and it's controlled with a Logitec XBox controller, 100% the batteries have gone.

Is the weight thing true?  Can they be detached remotely and it floats to the top (not at 100mph so their heads blow).

The thing I seen is that they automatically detach if something goes wrong.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

I’m honestly not sure the titanic is something you should be taking tourists to see. 1,500 died in that disaster ffs.

It’s a vanity expedition for extremely rich people, nothing more. A but like climbing Everest 

13 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Surely Navy Seals will be involved in the rescue.

And Steven Seagal will be leading the mission…

Shooter McGavin
3 minutes ago, Tazio said:

£190,000 per person to get in that thing, and plunge to the bottom of the Atlantic ocean…

:berra:

highlandjambo3

This one is open to the public and is in a place called Keil on the north coast of Germany……lovely place:

Absolute bat shit facilities inside, crew sleeping on boards on top of torpedoes, the captains room was basically a room with a very small bed and chair to sit on, No door just a curtain.

IMG_5321.jpeg

Shooter McGavin
5 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

This one is open to the public and is in a place called Keil on the north coast of Germany……lovely place:

Absolute bat shit facilities inside, crew sleeping on boards on top of torpedoes, the captains room was basically a room with a very small bed and chair to sit on, No door just a curtain.

IMG_5321.jpeg

Our Vlads would never have been like that. His would have had a pool table, smoking room and a telly hooked up to Setanta sports.

John Findlay
1 hour ago, Des Lynam said:

My first flight in a helicopter was a Wessex Mk V from Hms Intrepid to the Tank school at Bovington Dorset. Got the chance to fire the machine gun of a chieftain tank. Other time was in a Lynx helicopter down the Falkland Islands.

This was despite having handled two dead bodies killed in a helicopter crash that happened up in Cape Wrath. Sadly a third person died six hours later, but I never handled him, only saw him in complete agony in the Intrepid sickbay before he was transferred to the USS Saipan, where he sadly died.

Was also on the Intrepid in 82, when during a cross decking in the South Atlantic a Seaking ditched into the Southern Atlantic and we lost the crew and 22 members of the SAS.

highlandjambo3
1 hour ago, Taffin said:

My only helicopter experience too, except I loved it and it's made me want to go in one again!

Was meant to be in one to go to the Grand Canyon this year but it got pulled due to weather. The 17 hour bus trip was worse. That I will never do again 😂

Been in loads of military helicopters, it’s a bit of a buzz and, you shouldn’t really over think how dangerous it could be.  In Northern Ireland during the troubles, in County Fermanagh it was often the only way to get about and, the pilots were a bit gun ho flying low so we didn’t get shot down.  Abseiled out of a few and, had to jump out of one into a lake in Belize as it didn’t have enough fuel to take us back to our base (pilot couldn’t find a clear spot to put us down).

Off to Canada this September and I’ve booked a surprise hele flight for me and the mrs….1hr through the Rockies 😁

jack D and coke

I don’t think I could last even 5 minutes in something like that. Getting into a wee tin can to go 2 miles down?!
I’d absolutely freak out. 

50 hours of oxygen left apparently. 
What a way to go if they can’t get to them. 

34 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

I’m honestly not sure the titanic is something you should be taking tourists to see. 1,500 died in that disaster ffs.

It’s a vanity expedition for extremely rich people, nothing more. A but like climbing Everest 

Yep it’s all a bit ghoulish 

Now people have to risk their lives to save them 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
4 minutes ago, GBJambo said:

Yeah, the cost and danger of trying to rescue them is unacceptable really 

28 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

My first flight in a helicopter was a Wessex Mk V from Hms Intrepid to the Tank school at Bovington Dorset. Got the chance to fire the machine gun of a chieftain tank. Other time was in a Lynx helicopter down the Falkland Islands.

This was despite having handled two dead bodies killed in a helicopter crash that happened up in Cape Wrath. Sadly a third person died six hours later, but I never handled him, only saw him in complete agony in the Intrepid sickbay before he was transferred to the USS Saipan, where he sadly died.

Was also on the Intrepid in 82, when during a cross decking in the South Atlantic a Seaking ditched into the Southern Atlantic and we lost the crew and 22 members of the SAS.

Bloody hell John that’s quite a different experience from mine. No matter how extensive the training is I don’t fancy being in a combat zone. 

Lord Montpelier
53 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

£190,000 per person to get in that thing, and plunge to the bottom of the Atlantic ocean…

:berra:

Piloted by a PlayStation controller. What could possibly go wrong. 

Lone Striker
19 minutes ago, GBJambo said:

Yep - any attempted rescue at that depth  is going to be very dangerous. There was a naval submarine expert on the radio this morning saying that the Navy has submersibles which can perform a rescue of Navy submarines - but that relies on a max depth (way above where the Titanic is, plus a device fitted to the outside of the disabled sub which the rescue vehicle can attach floats or cables.  He said this tourist sub won't have such a device.

14 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Yeah, the cost and danger of trying to rescue them is unacceptable really 

Yep.

I read an article yesterday from a marine insurance expert who said taking out insurance to cover a dive to his depth in such a submersible for tourism  would be prohibitively expensive, and very few (if any) underwriters in the world would consider it.  Just too big a risk of catastrophe.   

Maybe it was just loose change for the billionaire guy though .

highlandjambo3
35 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

I remember that tragedy, I don’t think they recovered a single body, is that right?

I spoke to a guy who helped load up that helicopter*, he said it was seriously overloaded and piled high with equipment and, all the SAS blokes were sitting on top of it all nothing tied down.  It’s all speculation but for no one to get out you could only imagine when the helicopter went down all that gear would suddenly be snagging people trying to get out.

* not sure if this cross decking operation was under any time pressure, weather conditions, ships needing to be elsewhere etc…..absolute tragedy and terrifying for those guys.

John Findlay
4 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

I remember that tragedy, I don’t think they recovered a single body, is that right?

I spoke to a guy who helped load up that helicopter*, he said it was seriously overloaded and piled high with equipment and, all the SAS blokes were sitting on top of it all nothing tied down.  It’s all speculation but for no one to get out you could only imagine when the helicopter went down all that gear would suddenly be snagging people trying to get out.

* not sure if this cross decking operation was under any time pressure, weather conditions, ships needing to be elsewhere etc…..absolute tragedy and terrifying for those guys.

Everything was against the clock at the time. Of course in war things are done alot differently than in a peacetime exercise. It was forty one years ago now. Gone but never forgotten.

Lone Striker
1 hour ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Yeah, I agree - all a bit macabre.   I've often wondered what proportion of the folk that visit Auschwitz have no family or WW2  or empathy  reason to be there, but are just feeding some macabre urge to see where cruelty and mass murder took place. 

50 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Holy moly, John. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
Just now, Lone Striker said:

Yeah, I agree - all a bit macabre.   I've often wondered what proportion of the folk that visit Auschwitz have no family or WW2  or empathy  reason to be there, but are just feeding some macabre urge to see where cruelty and mass murder took place. 

The thing about Auschwitz is that it wants people to visit - it wants to educate and to warn of the past. So it serves an important educational purposes.

Everest isn’t asking rich people to climb it, or to dump rubbish all over it or to ask Sherpas to risk their lives by doing the dangerous donkey work. Same as the Titanic isn’t asking billionaires to go down and have a look.

There’s a telling bit in the Netflix doc ‘Sherpa’ where lots of them have died in an avalanche and are basically on strike. The reaction of one of the tour organisers, a guy from NZ, was merely ‘you all need to get back to work.’ Basically, he was in danger of losing a very lucrative meal ticket and that was all he cared about.

John Findlay
17 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

Bloody hell John that’s quite a different experience from mine. No matter how extensive the training is I don’t fancy being in a combat zone. 

It's hard to explain. I had only just turned 19 in 1982. I was only 17 when the crash up Cape Wrath happened.

By 1982 I had been training three years for war, hoping of course it would never happen, if it did the fight would be with the then USSR. We were caught quite a bit on the hop with Argentina in 82.

It happened. We dealt with it, and we realised all the training had been worth it and in the main the training worked.

It sounds like 'system' on the wee sub just 'went'. No contact after 1 hour 45 minutes. Takes 2 hours 30 mins to get down. Thw whole trip supposed to take 8 hours. They would only take enough food for a snack. Cannot imagine what is going on down there. Can't see this having a happy ending...hope I am wrong. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
1 minute ago, japanjambo said:

It sounds like 'system' on the wee sub just 'went'. No contact after 1 hour 45 minutes. Takes 2 hours 30 mins to get down. Thw whole trip supposed to take 8 hours. They would only take enough food for a snack. Cannot imagine what is going on down there. Can't see this having a happy ending...hope I am wrong. 

If they haven’t already, they must be about to run out of oxygen 

been here before

The remains of the X Craft on Aberlady beach, now those things look claustraphobic for their crew of 4.

Over in Australia I went on a trip where they fly you in a wee Cesna type plane to an island for a few days. Before you leave they ask of you want a thrill ride or a regular flight. 

We all of course said thrill ride so the guy is doing little quick turns and dips. Thrn he told us all to turn our gopros/phones off and then he proceeds to cut the engine completely. I was up dlfeont and seen the propeller stop for a few seconds before he kicked it back on. Was great experi3nce but not something I'd sign up to again. 

A year later one of their pilots crash landed onto the island and one of the passengers died.

Likely not related to and "stunts" as they were all done at a decent altitude not really anywhere near the island.

1 hour ago, jack D and coke said:

I don’t think I could last even 5 minutes in something like that. Getting into a wee tin can to go 2 miles down?!
I’d absolutely freak out. 

50 hours of oxygen left apparently. 
What a way to go if they can’t get to them. 

I’d be the same. And paying 200k for the privilege. **** that.

I genuinely hope they make it but if they don’t then I hope they’re already dead. I can’t even begin to imagine how terrified they must be if they’re still alive and trapped so far under the ocean and just waiting to see if help will come before your oxygen runs out.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
1 minute ago, iantjambo said:

I’d be the same. And paying 200k for the privilege. **** that.

I genuinely hope they make it but if they don’t then I hope they’re already dead. I can’t even begin to imagine how terrified they must be if they’re still alive and trapped so far under the ocean and just waiting to see if help will come before your oxygen runs out.

If they don’t make it then it should be the end of sub trips to the Titanic. The wreck has been explored to death, there really is very little more to learn.

Lone Striker
2 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

The thing about Auschwitz is that it wants people to visit - it wants to educate and to warn of the past. So it serves an important educational purposes.

Everest isn’t asking rich people to climb it, or to dump rubbish all over it or to ask Sherpas to risk their lives by doing the dangerous donkey work. Same as the Titanic isn’t asking billionaires to go down and have a look.

There’s a telling bit in the Netflix doc ‘Sherpa’ where lots of them have died in an avalanche and are basically on strike. The reaction of one of the tour organisers, a guy from NZ, was merely ‘you all need to get back to work.’ Basically, he was in danger of losing a very lucrative meal ticket and that was all he cared about.

Re Auschwitz, yes thats the reason for it being available for visits and tours.    But if you've no connection to the people who were sent there,  and you're not doing a research project into the Nazis/WW2,  most ordinary folk don't need to actually visit it to be aware of the horror it represents.       Its all on regular repeat on the History Channel, with loads of books/films/videos available. It even gets mentioned in school history  projects.

Re Everest (and  other Himalayan peaks), you're spot on about the "disposable" Sherpa community in the eyes of  Adventure   tourism companies. Quite appalling actually.

1 minute ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

If they don’t make it then it should be the end of sub trips to the Titanic. The wreck has been explored to death, there really is very little more to learn.

Definitely. I don’t think they should’ve been used as a tour in the first place.

Dick Dastardly
1 hour ago, Tazio said:

And Steven Seagal will be leading the mission…

He'll be going down bare chested on a single breath. With a knife between his teeth. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
18 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Misleadingly to just call them 'tourists'.

An explorer, a diver and the owner are on board. 

What’s the purpose of the dive though?

John Findlay
1 minute ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

What’s the purpose of the dive though?

Voyeurism 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
2 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Voyeurism 

Precisely. They shouldn’t be down there and the only reason they are is because rich people please themselves, often at the cost of others (as we’re seeing in this very case)

29 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Misleadingly to just call them 'tourists'.

An explorer, a diver and the owner are on board. 

The diver isn’t going to be doing any diving around the site and it’s pretty much been completely explored over the years.

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Titanic "tourist" submarine