Titanic "tourist" submarine

Lone Striker

il Duce McTarkin
16 minutes ago, redjambo said:

:D She can get mighty playful at times, the sea.

I had some videos from the bridge of the pitching and waves crashing over the helideck. Mental. :)

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• BlueRiver

• Dusk_Till_Dawn

• hughesie27

10 minutes ago, Boof said:

Rookie mistake, IMO. :lol: 

:D Most probably, but when the heads are in an utter mess due to the storm, a man's gotta pee somehow.

2 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Maybe putting a face to them might help, turns out the teenager is a student at  the University of Strathclyde. This is a link to a breaking news  full article about him and his father who are both in the craft.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-65984821

A photograph of them to put faces on it.

_130174817_suleman-reuters.jpg

The father is the head of the Engro Corporation. At my old company we ran a joint project with them, my boss has physically sat in his office 

been here before
25 minutes ago, BlueRiver said:

For the comparison with Greece. Aren't the European countries in that area spending money on search and rescue? 

As for coverage I'm sure they could televise them pulling children out the water dead if that's what you want to see. 

What's happened in Greece is tragic but its no longer a rescue operation as far as I'm aware is it? 

21 minutes ago, BlueRiver said:

I'm also sure some would question their right to assistance considering their lack of insurance and high risk actions 🤨

There's already 9 boys in court over that disaster in the Med. 

But aye no one is spending any money on it or doing anything about it. 

Plenty coverage for anybody that can be half arsed looking. 

Please dont spoil their virtue signalling.

6 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Here's that tweet by the way

FB_IMG_1687442040900.thumb.jpg.de9b98f2a55124ba45d9f8ea22b3416c.jpg

I know society likes a good witch hunt with a seasoning of victimisation, and this chap's reaction may not gel with how some of us would act in the circumstances, but we should give him a break, imo, and save our opprobrium for the folk in life who really deserve it.

1 minute ago, redjambo said:

I know society likes a good witch hunt with a seasoning of victimisation, and this chap's reaction may not gel with how some of us would act in the circumstances, but we should give him a break, imo, and save our opprobrium for the folk in life who really deserve it.

:spoton:

2 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Conspiracy theories surfacing now pardon the pun…

Why can't the rescue team just tip the water off the flat earth?

Edited by Armageddon

Unknown user
10 minutes ago, redjambo said:

He's getting it tight all over Twitter already, it's part of the story.

It's clearly remarkable that he's putting these in the public domain while his billionaire stepdad's at the bottom of the ocean, it's the very epitome of newsworthy.

Edited by Smithee

AlphonseCapone
2 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

I don't think they were stupid, they thought it was safe and I expect a lot of people might have thought that since there have been many dives to the wreck, and nothing like this ever happened. It was definitely adventurist but not stupid.  

2 hours ago, BlueRiver said:

Me neither tbh but there are folk that are taking that view. 

I think the fact that they're very wealthy has somewhat sabotaged people's empathy. 

Stupid is a loaded word but while folk are probably influenced by the rich aspect, there is a lot of strong feeling being directed towards the apparent risk they've taken. I admit I've never heard of this company or this submarine before this event but it appears there was a lot of information out there about why this sub was a disaster waiting to happen. Surely if you're going on it, you'd have done all that research. And to be fair they might have and decided it was worth it. Fair enough. I'm all about personal choice and responsibility though I get annoyed if your somewhat reckless decision costs others time, money or risks others through rescue operations. 

With that personal choice though comes the reaction others might have and as I say some folk are enjoying it because it's rich people, I think a lot are genuinely just puzzled at the amateur nature of the thing they've gone into the deep ocean in. 

periodictabledancer
Just now, AlphonseCapone said:

Stupid is a loaded word but while folk are probably influenced by the rich aspect, there is a lot of strong feeling being directed towards the apparent risk they've taken. I admit I've never heard of this company or this submarine before this event but it appears there was a lot of information out there about why this sub was a disaster waiting to happen. Surely if you're going on it, you'd have done all that research. And to be fair they might have and decided it was worth it. Fair enough. I'm all about personal choice and responsibility though I get annoyed if your somewhat reckless decision costs others time, money or risks others through rescue operations. 

With that personal choice though comes the reaction others might have and as I say some folk are enjoying it because it's rich people, I think a lot are genuinely just puzzled at the amateur nature of the thing they've gone into the deep ocean in. 

Good post. 👍

6 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

You certainly would have expected these people, who presumably are astute at business to risk, to do proper due diligence on something that could risk their lives!

6 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Tbh mate I could do as much research as I like but when someone with the moniker Mr Titanic decides to onboard himself I'd probably sit and think it's more than likely a safe bet we'll be down and back up. Not that I personally would ever consider doing it but if I was of that mind. 

But of course folk are entitled to their views on the stupidity of the risk taken and all that - I've no real issue with a lot of those posts. It's more the ones on here and social media in general that seem to be deriving some kind of morbid enjoyment or acting like it's deserved that bother me. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/06/20/us/nargeolet-titanic-submarine.html

No digs intended at anyone but this man is surely as qualified or more so than anyone to have made a judgement on that submersible? 

For a lay person having a guy like that taking part would substantially reduce how risky the expedition seems in your mind surely? 

il Duce McTarkin
2 minutes ago, BlueRiver said:

It's more the ones on here and social media in general that seem to be deriving some kind of morbid enjoyment or acting like it's deserved that bother me. 

Anyone that takes any form of morbid glee from this, for whatever reason, is a bit of a cock.

Anyone that thinks the folk that got into that sub were daft AF is bang on the cash.

13 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

I'm certainly not enjoying it, not influenced (not consciously anyway) by their wealth. I just think if you do dangerous things for no real reason other than to satisfy your own curiosity it shouldn't be up to others to save you when it goes wrong. They might want to save you, and good on them but I wouldn't be paying for it

If I jumped off the roof of my house just to see what it felt like I'm pretty sure people would begrudge my NHS treatment...and rightfully so.

periodictabledancer
4 minutes ago, BlueRiver said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/06/20/us/nargeolet-titanic-submarine.html

No digs intended at anyone but this man is surely as qualified or more so than anyone to have made a judgement on that submersible? 

For a lay person having a guy like that taking part would substantially reduce how risky the expedition seems in your mind surely? 

He's a "maritime expert" - are they saying he's therefore an expert in submersible safety ?

I can see why folk might read that and think that's the case but in reality ...?  

jack D and coke
30 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

Why can't the rescue team just tip the water off the flat earth?

Haha didn’t see that one. 
Na some boy suggesting cos he’s been on the space flights with Bezos and been to Antarctica and seen aliens or something they’ve decided to get him on here on a sabotaged vessel. 
It’s why the US coast guard etc aren’t really helping and have been dragging their feet to help. 
Something else about a boy who was meant to be on it and pulled out last minute. 
They’re never far behind these things. 

2 minutes ago, periodictabledancer said:

He's a "maritime expert" - are they saying he's therefore an expert in submersible safety ?

I can see why folk might read that and think that's the case but in reality ...?  

He probably isn't to be fair  but he's been down there and back up 35 times including on the missing sub. 

If he was involved in the project as a layperson I'd probably feel quite confident in it. All caveated of course by if I was the type of person who would do this in the first place. 

8 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I'm certainly not enjoying it, not influenced (not consciously anyway) by their wealth. I just think if you do dangerous things for no real reason other than to satisfy your own curiosity it shouldn't be up to others to save you when it goes wrong. They might want to save you, and good on them but I wouldn't be paying for it

If I jumped off the roof of my house just to see what it felt like I'm pretty sure people would begrudge my NHS treatment...and rightfully so.

You'd still get that treatment though. 

I can think you're a dafty but i don't think many would be actively arguing against treating you regardless of whether we wanted to argue about who's responsible for cost. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
1 hour ago, Armageddon said:

FFS, What's his age again?

Chronic lack of appreciation for this 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
31 minutes ago, BlueRiver said:

Tbh mate I could do as much research as I like but when someone with the moniker Mr Titanic decides to onboard himself I'd probably sit and think it's more than likely a safe bet we'll be down and back up. Not that I personally would ever consider doing it but if I was of that mind. 

But of course folk are entitled to their views on the stupidity of the risk taken and all that - I've no real issue with a lot of those posts. It's more the ones on here and social media in general that seem to be deriving some kind of morbid enjoyment or acting like it's deserved that bother me. 

it’s probably just more than people acting like fuds don’t garner much sympathy 

3 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

Patio? 

No danger there's a patio way down there, just think about it FFS!

2 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Maybe so. 

On the upside they'll probably have all died so they'll not get to make that mistake again eh. 

il Duce McTarkin
3 minutes ago, BlueRiver said:

Maybe so. 

On the upside they'll probably have all died so they'll not get to make that mistake again eh. 

In a gruesome way befitting of their wealth.

4 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

I sincerely hope they are found and rescued, alive and well. Nobody likes to think of anyone going through a situation like that, far less any of us having to watch/be present when our child does. Thankfully, the overwhelming response of the human race is to rush to assist. Personally, I'm pleased by that and make no judgement on how they got there. However, if they make it and given that at least a couple of them are in the billionaire category, I would have a wee bit less sympathy if they didn't weigh in with a significant chunk of, if not all of, the rescue costs. 

I'll save my judgement until then and meantime hope for the best.

27 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Thank you.  It's up there with my finest work, it's unfortunately gone down like a.....

1 hour ago, Armageddon said:

I'll applaud my own Blink-182 joke here then! :)

48 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

I only just seen your post armagedon. As a blink 182 fan, I almost wet myself at it.

DTD, it gets my appreciation.

BREAKING Debris field found - US Coast Guard

A debris field has been discovered within the search area by an ROV near the Titanic, the US Coast Guard has just announced.

Experts within the unified command are evaluating the information.

We will bring you more details shortly.

il Duce McTarkin
27 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

Thank you.  It's up there with my finest work, it's unfortunately gone down like a.....

:muggy:

il Duce McTarkin
3 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

A debris field has been discovered within the search area by an ROV near the Titanic, the US Coast Guard has just announced.

If that thing has caved in they'd have been switched off like a light. Probably a small mercy, all things considered. :(

2 minutes ago, Dirk McTarkin said:

If that thing has caved in they'd have been switched off like a light. Probably a small mercy, all things considered. :(

I mean, it's as quick as you could go, zero sign of a body either I'm guessing at that pressure.  Oh well, the big man can get back to chasing trannies and listening to Blink, knowing he's inherited multi-millions.

10 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

That will be that then. Prob the best case scenario. 😢

Harry Potter
1 hour ago, AlphonseCapone said:

The waiver they were asked to sign would have been a deffo big no from me, not that i would consider such a trip, a guy in work said to me, you would go to space if it was free,:facepalm:no chance.

CavySlaveJambo
8 minutes ago, Dirk McTarkin said:

Just had Sky News on on YouTube

The Debris Field was found by an ROV.  

2 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

De ris field as it stuff floating on the surface?

No, debris laying around the on the bottom of the sea close to the titanic wreckage

Edited by Ribble

Just now, Ribble said:

No, debris laying around the on the sea surface close to the titanic wreckage

Gotcha. Cheers.

il Duce McTarkin
4 minutes ago, Ribble said:

No, debris laying around the on the sea surface close to the titanic wreckage

You mean the sea floor, surely?

12 minutes ago, Dirk McTarkin said:

Thread's about burst anyway, Dazo. We should respect the deceased and move on.

Still plenty time for people to glee at their misfortune Dirk and tell us how much they deserve it for being so stupid. 

il Duce McTarkin
Just now, Dazo said:

Still plenty time for people to glee at their misfortune Dirk and tell us how much they deserve it for being so stupid. 

At least the interest rate rises wont affect them now, Dazo. Small mercies and all that.

2 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Not a lot of effort went into finding the firefighter swimming the channel for charity. 

French authorities have confirmed the search has now ended, it said, adding: "In spite of search efforts involving French and Belgian military helicopters, plus navy and police patrol boats, Iain's whereabouts remain unknown."

Difference would be the relative life expectancy I suppose.

been here before
9 minutes ago, Morgan said:

He will now.

:seething:

Here's hoping.

I was reading through this earlier thinking the thread lacks pathetic double entendres, shite, predictale camp 70s gifs, condesvending post and someone managing to make a thread about the likely deaths of five folk in a submarine a couple of miles under the water exploring the most famous shipwreck in the world all about them.

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Titanic "tourist" submarine