Titanic "tourist" submarine

Lone Striker

Howdy Doody Jambo

The US Coast Guard has confirmed that a Canadian P-3 aircraft detected "underwater noises" in a search area for the missing Titanic sub

US media, citing internal US government memos, described them as "banging sounds"

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• BlueRiver

• Dusk_Till_Dawn

• hughesie27

It doesn't look good does it, and you have to suspect it might knock this type of thing on the head, at least for a while. Also have to wonder how long an oxygen supply will last if they're either on the bottom or suspended at depth. If that's the case I think they will know they're not getting out of this.

That will hardly encourage the type of easy breathing the oxygen supply is calculated on. frankly it's a feckin nightmare, almost like being buried alive. 

8 minutes ago, The Maroon Pound said:

The US Coast Guard has confirmed that a Canadian P-3 aircraft detected "underwater noises" in a search area for the missing Titanic sub

US media, citing internal US government memos, described them as "banging sounds"

Trouble is the sea is generally noisy with metallic banging sounds, could be them, could be the titanic shifting slightly in the current or could be something else entirely and there's no real way to tell.

‘One percent chance’ that titanic submersible will be found

“It’s possible we could pull a rabbit out of the hat, I don’t think that’s going to happen.” David Marquet walks Stig Abell through the survival chances for the titanic submersible.

2 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

It doesn't look good does it, and you have to suspect it might knock this type of thing on the head, at least for a while. Also have to wonder how long an oxygen supply will last if they're either on the bottom or suspended at depth. If that's the case I think they will know they're not getting out of this.

That will hardly encourage the type of easy breathing the oxygen supply is calculated on. frankly it's a feckin nightmare, almost like being buried alive. 

Only conceivable chance now is if it's near the surface in the water column and found very,  very quickly.  1 in a million tbh.

Once the O2 runs out then they'll go very quickly you would think.  It'll be hellish to realise the first signs of suffocation have started but it should be quick with 5 people in that tiny space.

Lone Striker

Apparently the banging noises detected have been at regular 30 minute intervals, which suggests a high probability that its from the occupants of the sub.     But time is running out fast, and the mechanics of actually finding the vessel and somehow rescuing it seem horrifically unlikely.  It would need to be brought to the surface first  and then these bolts at the hatch removed.

Nightmare scenario.

I wonder if there could be something like a manual valve that can be used to flood the compartment.  Once they know it's about to be over then I think I would be keen on the use of the valve.

Small miracle needed to get these people to the surface alive. Praying they find the sub ASAP.

Obviously much different scenario but to me it brings back memories of the Chilean Miner rescue. That was so captivating watching the story unfold and end at the time.

WorldChampions1902
18 hours ago, been here before said:

Football, geopolitical warfare, chemical weapons, global pandemics, Brexit, vaccines, US politics, the financial crisis, international terrorism and woke.

Just a few of the subjects that the same few posters who comprise the JKB Experts On Everything Panel have pontificated upon and attempted to outsmart each other over.

But suddenly we have a subject Google cant really help them on. There simply doesnt seem to be enough information out there on how to rescue a submarine trapped many thousands of feet underwater for the JKB Experts On Everything Panel to draw their intellectual swords and carry the fight of their 'knowledge' to each other.

Truly a seismic day. What a time to be alive.

A true watershed moment indeed.

35 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Apparently the banging noises detected have been at regular 30 minute intervals, which suggests a high probability that its from the occupants of the sub.     But time is running out fast, and the mechanics of actually finding the vessel and somehow rescuing it seem horrifically unlikely.  It would need to be brought to the surface first  and then these bolts at the hatch removed.

Nightmare scenario.

If what is being is reported is correct then that would tie in with one of the occupants being a French retired Navy Diver who would know the protocol for sending emergency signals, also with the noise being picked up by the floating sound detecting buoys it could mean that the sub is near* or at the surface and could potentially be located by triangulating the signals from the buoys.

*Near being less than 180m from the surface, seemingly the water temp at 180m drops significantly and creates a form of sonic barrier 

41 minutes ago, Victorian said:

I wonder if there could be something like a manual valve that can be used to flood the compartment.  Once they know it's about to be over then I think I would be keen on the use of the valve.

I think I'd prefer suffocation to drowning as a way to go. With suffocation, would they not just pass out from shortage of oxygen, before dying of course.

Not that I'd like to have to choose between either of course.

il Duce McTarkin
18 hours ago, been here before said:

Football, geopolitical warfare, chemical weapons, global pandemics, Brexit, vaccines, US politics, the financial crisis, international terrorism and woke.

Just a few of the subjects that the same few posters who comprise the JKB Experts On Everything Panel have pontificated upon and attempted to outsmart each other over.

But suddenly we have a subject Google cant really help them on. There simply doesnt seem to be enough information out there on how to rescue a submarine trapped many thousands of feet underwater for the JKB Experts On Everything Panel to draw their intellectual swords and carry the fight of their 'knowledge' to each other.

Truly a seismic day. What a time to be alive.

Ironically, something I know a fair bit about.

Happy to let the 'JKB Experts On Everything Panel' slug it out, mind.

JudyJudyJudy
23 minutes ago, PortyJambo said:

I think I'd prefer suffocation to drowning as a way to go. With suffocation, would they not just pass out from shortage of oxygen, before dying of course.

Lack of oxygen will eventually just make them conk out I’d assume . 

30 minutes ago, PortyJambo said:

No chance of anyone drowning, apparently at such depths a pinhole in the hull would be instantaneous total collapse and instant death. It would be a most humane method of execution if it could be replicated.

14 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Never worked with you James.

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, Victorian said:

Never worked with you James.

That was funny 😄 I’ll give u that 

IMG_8835.gif

Edited by JudyJudyJudy

rudi must stay

This is a horrible story from all angles. I hope they learn from it, for me it's a burial site a resting place it shouldn't be a tourist destination

Greedy Jambo

Well, to a less extent, I sort of know how they feel, I've just been stuck in a lift for half an hour!

Japan Jambo
1 hour ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Damn, got that one wrong - had you down as as our resident expert on erotic asphyxiation 😁

14 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Well, to a less extent, I sort of know how they feel, I've just been stuck in a lift for half an hour!

Were you just in it yourself, or could people outside hear banging?

JudyJudyJudy
18 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

Damn, got that one wrong - had you down as as our resident expert on erotic asphyxiation 😁

Oh no thanks ! I’m not into all that odd stuff  😎😂

Edited by JudyJudyJudy

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, rudi must stay said:

hope they learn from it, for

Rather doubt that Rudi 

19 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

We all have our ups and downs…

23 hours ago, Der Kaiser said:

At what point do you start to think rescue isnt coming and start kissing?

Or....or is this just me?

8 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

And maybe I'm wrong. Banging sounds detected at 30 minute intervals.

So 36 hours in answer to my own question......

Doesn’t look good and not a way I’d fancy going - going deep underwater isn’t for me. The closest I got was watching the terrific documentary Last Breath and that was close enough. 

19 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

They should just attach a really long rope or chain to these things.

The greatest hazards with that type of craft are fire, hull failure, and entanglement.  Having a tether greatly increases the danger of entanglement.

5 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

The greatest hazards with that type of craft are fire, hull failure, and entanglement.  Having a tether greatly increases the danger of entanglement.

Sure, but at least you'd know where it was!

1 hour ago, hughesie27 said:

They could attach a wee whistle and a flashy thing. It works on life jackets.

1 hour ago, hughesie27 said:

I'm guessing that the potential risks posed by a tether out-weigh the potential benefits.

3 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

I hope they learn from it

Pretty sure they will RMS. For some reason I doubt they'll do it again!

Apparently the pressure down there could have already torn the sub apart as the hull is made from numerous different materials and not the single material as every other submarine in the World.

8 minutes ago, AndyNic said:

Approx. 20hrs of Oxygen left...

Depends of there are still 5 people alive!

5 hours ago, Dirk McTarkin said:

Happy to let the 'JKB Experts On Everything Panel' slug it out, mind.

:pleasing:

That thing you do
20 hours ago, Daktari said:

Submersible experts wrote to OceanGate CEO expressing concern

The New York Times has unearthed a 2018 letter sent by submersible experts to Stockton Rush, the CEO of OceanGate. 

The authors of the letter expressed "unanimous concern" over the approach taken by OceanGate when building the Titan and warned of potential "catastrophic" issues with its design.

They also said OceanGate was making "misleading" claims about its design exceeding established industry safety standards and urged Rush to institute a prototype testing program reviewed and witnessed by an accredited registrar.

"It is our unanimous view that this validation process by a third-party is a critical component in the safeguards that protect all submersible occupants," the letter read.

The NYT said a spokesperson for OceanGate declined to comment

Looks like the CEO of the sub company is from the same narcissistic school of thought of the guy who made the Fyre festival and was in denial, minus the tragic potential consequences.

And considering its $150k a pop youd think theyd forego a bit of profit for safety.

Unknown user

Bloody hell, just read that the son of one of the sub guys went to blink-182 last night, he's getting all arsey about it on Twitter

That thing you do
Just now, Smithee said:

Bloody hell, just read that the son of one of the sub guys went to blink-182 last night, he's getting all arsey about it on Twitter

Theres something wrong there. Maybe he wasnt loved as a child as the guy only cared about money, or the son is a selfish prick or both.

But to go to a concert when your dad is missing, dying, is some kind of crazy, to me.

6 minutes ago, Smithee said:

To be fair going to a Blink 182 gig under ANY circumstances is beyond ridiculous.

17 minutes ago, That thing you do said:

Theres something wrong there. Maybe he wasnt loved as a child as the guy only cared about money, or the son is a selfish prick or both.

But to go to a concert when your dad is missing, dying, is some kind of crazy, to me.

The boys just become a billionaire he had to celebrate somehow.

22 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Stepson. Not sure how long for. Probably out celebrating his upcoming windfall. 

jack D and coke
5 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Stepson. Not sure how long for. Probably out celebrating his upcoming windfall. 

Be some amount of crocodile tears at these funerals that’s for sure. 

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Titanic "tourist" submarine