Titanic "tourist" submarine

Lone Striker

That thing you do

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-65977432

Employee raised concerns, was then fired. Then sued for revealing company secrets, then he countersued for unfair dismissal. Settled out of court apparently.

The more I read about this the more is seems the CEO was unimaginably greedy, a narcissist, a sociopath and built a cheap capsule with little care about safety and wanted to pocket the cash and not care about the consequences.

As I said before, a more deadly repeat of the Fyre Festival mess. Lots of litigation ahead.

Typically, the part of deep-sea submersible housing the humans is a titanium sphere around 2m in diameter," said Dr Nicolai Roterdam, lecturer in marine biology at the University of Portsmouth.

To withstand the immense pressures of the deep you need super-strong materials, to resist the weight of water above that's pressing down on you.

Carbon fibre is cheaper than titanium or steel and is extremely strong, but it is largely untested for deep sea vessels like the Titan.

In an interview with Oceanographic last year, OceanGate's CEO Rush Stockton said: "Carbon fibre is used successfully in yachts and in aviation, but it has not been used in crewed submersibles."

In the court documents, Mr Lochridge claimed the hull had not been properly tested - where it's placed under extreme pressures and analysed to look for potential problems.

He claimed that trials on a smaller scale model of the sub had revealed flaws in the carbon under pressure testing.

Mr Lochridge also raised the issue of the Titan's glass viewport. He claimed the company that made the material would only certify its use down to 1,300m.

Edited by That thing you do

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• BlueRiver

• Dusk_Till_Dawn

• hughesie27

Jambof3tornado

Having spent a few hours on a submarine while delivering sonobuoys in the early 90s I can safely say you need your head checking to be a submariner. Absolutely hated it and it was docked!!!!

Getting in a diddy wee version......nope,not even for a million pounds!!

Dont know about safety features but old RAF training torpedoes had some sort of sea water battery that allowed them to float to the surface for collection by a wee navy guy in a really shitty boat out at the Kyle of Lochalsh where they test fired them!!!

Dusk_Till_Dawn
4 minutes ago, That thing you do said:

Employee raised concerns, was then fired. Then sued for revealing company secrets, then he countersued for unfair dismissal. Settled out of court apparently.

The more I read about this the more is seems the CEO was unimaginably greedy, a narcissist, a sociopath and built a cheap capsule with little care about safety and wanted to pocket the cash and not care about the consequences.

As I said before, a more deadly repeat of the Fyre Festival mess.

is he on the sub at the moment?

That thing you do
4 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

is he on the sub at the moment?

Yep he is...

https://www.insider.com/titanic-sub-passengers-missing-passengers-whos-on-board-oceangate-submersible-2023-6

This quote is telling "At some point, safety just is pure waste," Rush told CBS journalist David Pogue for the podcast. "I think I can do this just as safely by breaking the rules."

Edited by That thing you do

Dusk_Till_Dawn
2 minutes ago, That thing you do said:

Yep he is...

https://www.insider.com/titanic-sub-passengers-missing-passengers-whos-on-board-oceangate-submersible-2023-6

This quote is telling "At some point, safety just is pure waste," Rush told CBS journalist David Pogue for the podcast. "I think I can do this just as safely by breaking the rules."

Oh well, every cloud.

14 minutes ago, That thing you do said:

As I said before, a more deadly repeat of the Fyre Festival mess. Lots of litigation ahead.

Typically, the part of deep-sea submersible housing the humans is a titanium sphere around 2m in diameter," said Dr Nicolai Roterdam, lecturer in marine biology at the University of Portsmouth.

To withstand the immense pressures of the deep you need super-strong materials, to resist the weight of water above that's pressing down on you.

Carbon fibre is cheaper than titanium or steel and is extremely strong, but it is largely untested for deep sea vessels like the Titan.

In an interview with Oceanographic last year, OceanGate's CEO Rush Stockton said: "Carbon fibre is used successfully in yachts and in aviation, but it has not been used in crewed submersibles."

In the court documents, Mr Lochridge claimed the hull had not been properly tested - where it's placed under extreme pressures and analysed to look for potential problems.

He claimed that trials on a smaller scale model of the sub had revealed flaws in the carbon under pressure testing.

Mr Lochridge also raised the issue of the Titan's glass viewport. He claimed the company that made the material would only certify its use down to 1,300m.

Won't be a popular post on here. Super safe the sub is supposedly.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
3 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Won't be a popular post on here. Super safe the sub is supposedly.

It looks like it was built in someone’s back garden. A right piece of shit 

Apologies if it was mentioned already, but 50 years ago this summer a submersible sank 150 miles off the south-west coast of Ireland while engaged in cable-laying work.  Two British men aboard the vessel were rescued 3 days after it sank.  When the submersible was recovered only about 12 minutes' supply of oxygen remained.  Although it was 50 years ago, the submersible probably has some advantages compared with the Titan.  The location where the submersible sank was known immediately, it was relatively close to land, and it sank to a depth of 480 metres. Roger Chapman died in 2020, having been awarded a CBE for his work in submarine rescue.  The other man, Roger Mallinson is still alive and was quoted in relation to the Titan story.

Man saved off Cork coast 'frightened' for Titan crew (rte.ie)

Rescue of Roger Mallinson and Roger Chapman - Wikipedia

John Findlay

I'm sure I saw Valarie Singleton make one on Blue Peter away back in 1972, with some sticky back plaster and a few empty cereal packets and egg boxes.

Just now, John Findlay said:

I'm sure I saw Valarie Singleton make one on Blue Peter away back in 1972, with some sticky back plaster and a few empty cereal packets and egg boxes.

9_1311879119_2429_300_300.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Dusk_Till_Dawn
12 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Apologies if it was mentioned already, but 50 years ago this summer a submersible sank 150 miles off the south-west coast of Ireland while engaged in cable-laying work.  Two British men aboard the vessel were rescued 3 days after it sank.  When the submersible was recovered only about 12 minutes' supply of oxygen remained.  Although it was 50 years ago, the submersible probably has some advantages compared with the Titan.  The location where the submersible sank was known immediately, it was relatively close to land, and it sank to a depth of 480 metres. Roger Chapman died in 2020, having been awarded a CBE for his work in submarine rescue.  The other man, Roger Mallinson is still alive and was quoted in relation to the Titan story.

Man saved off Cork coast 'frightened' for Titan crew (rte.ie)

Rescue of Roger Mallinson and Roger Chapman - Wikipedia

The logistics of searching at the bottom for the Atlantic are mind boggling. The ocean is vast beyond belief and so deep 

Captain Sausage

Find it strange that they’ve yet to make it down to the Titanic. 

Surely the thing is at the bottom of the ocean. 

It could be anywhere in a massive radius, but it would seem logical to me that it’s somewhere on/in the titanic. I’ve mobilised ROVs offshore within 48 hours, so how the **** the US government hasn’t managed to punt a few down to the sea floor is beyond me. 

I heard ships were picking up materials from Newfoundland, and 800 mile round trip. Why the **** are they not using helicopters to bring thing out?! 

So much of the logistics just seems completely illogical on this one. 

jack D and coke
45 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

It looks like it was built in someone’s back garden. A right piece of shit 

The actual sub built with help from NASA but the rest basically bought out B&M’s. Im not even kidding. 

1 hour ago, That thing you do said:

Anyone who has an expensive carbon fibre pedal cycle will know that you don't mount it in a clamped cycle carrier. Clamping the plastic/metal fittings around the carbon fibre frame tubes is not a good idea because while carbon fibre is indeed immensely strong, it doesn't resist crushing very well.....

9 minutes ago, Daktari said:

Anyone who has an expensive carbon fibre pedal cycle will know that you don't mount it in a clamped cycle carrier. Clamping the plastic/metal fittings around the carbon fibre frame tubes is not a good idea because while carbon fibre is indeed immensely strong, it doesn't resist crushing very well.....

With carbon fibre it’s all about the lay up of the fibres and the direction you do it in. It’s a very complex business getting it right. I watched a documentary about F1 when it became the material of choice and one of the examples was a front wing from a car. Two mechanics could stand on it and it barely moved, but if it was kicked firmly from the side it shattered. 

Lone Striker

Wow...what ?        A bit late, isn't it  ?

The Explorers’ Club, of which Mr Harding is a founder member, said it is ready to provide the UK-based Magellan’s remotely operated vehicle (ROV), which is certified to travel as deep as 3.7 miles (6,000m).

22 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

The Explorers’ Club, of which Mr Harding is a founder member, said it is ready to provide the UK-based Magellan’s remotely operated vehicle (ROV), which is certified to travel as deep as 3.7 miles (6,000m).

Depends how quick it gets there I guess but I don't suspect there was much use in just throwing deep diving ROVs into the fray until the search area narrowed somewhat? 

Not sure how much it has mind but I think those sounds that were picked up gave some hope. 

13 minutes ago, BlueRiver said:

Depends how quick it gets there I guess but I don't suspect there was much use in just throwing deep diving ROVs into the fray until the search area narrowed somewhat? 

Not sure how much it has mind but I think those sounds that were picked up gave some hope. 

Well I got myself up to speed and it turns out the search area has widened so ignore me 🤣 

Lone Striker
15 minutes ago, BlueRiver said:

Well I got myself up to speed and it turns out the search area has widened so ignore me 🤣 

😃  Nae probs.

I can't find anything that tells what emergency signalling equipment or methods exist on the sub, but      banging on the inner walls seems an act of extreme desperation in the face of nothing else being operational (if any alternative actually existed).  The story of  how this sub was designed &  built (and the weirdo who runs the company) just seems outrageous to the point of lunacy.   

CavySlaveJambo
7 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

but      banging on the inner walls seems an act of extreme desperation in the face of nothing else being operational

From the BBC live feed it was away for submariners to alert the searchers if anything happened.  Bang on the walls for 3 mins on the hour and the half hour.    

Also WTF about denying the offer of using the Magellan submersible that is rated to be able to go to depths below what the Titanic is sitting at and more importantly below the submersibles that they are using.  Just because it is in the UK and “too far away” when it could have been flown out, and put on board a ship from the US or Canada.   

8 minutes ago, CavySlaveJambo said:

From the BBC live feed it was away for submariners to alert the searchers if anything happened.  Bang on the walls for 3 mins on the hour and the half hour.    

Also WTF about denying the offer of using the Magellan submersible that is rated to be able to go to depths below what the Titanic is sitting at and more importantly below the submersibles that they are using.  Just because it is in the UK and “too far away” when it could have been flown out, and put on board a ship from the US or Canada.   

Sadly the reality is that flying it to. Newfoundland, and then onto a ship, and the correct type, and sailed out to the search area would most likely take too long. 

CavySlaveJambo
1 hour ago, Lone Striker said:

Oceansgate contacted Magellan about the use of the Submersible on Monday.  

Unknown user
4 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Be some amount of crocodile tears at these funerals that’s for sure. 

Imagine the conversation if they get out

jack D and coke
37 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Imagine the conversation if they get out

Oh darling I’m so happy they got to you..giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7bi4gb7sp0npz0jkux4

Unknown user
2 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Oh darling I’m so happy they got to you..giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7bi4gb7sp0npz0jkux4

I was thinking more "blink one eighty ****ing two??"

1 minute ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

Wonder who's head is getting knocked against the wall off the submarine 🤔

I think we can guess.  :whistling:

Two hundred <CLANG>

and fifty <CLANG>

effing grand <CLANG>

for this ****ing shitshow!  <CLANG> <CLANG> <CLANG>

That thing you do

Just saw on CBS news that apparently it wasnt just comms that went down. The "ping" emitted to show its still there (think MH370) stopped as well.

They are saying that leaves two options

1. It Imploded

2. Complete loss of power and systems, hence backups cant be triggered.

So they are dead already.. or in pitch darkness waiting to die.

Grim.

1 hour ago, That thing you do said:

Just saw on CBS news that apparently it wasnt just comms that went down. The "ping" emitted to show its still there (think MH370) stopped as well.

1. It Imploded

Grim.

I was thinking about option 2 earlier. If that is the case at some point it will be retrieved, if possible. However long in the future that might be opening those bolts that seal it and opening it up isn’t going to be very pleasant. Unless the system shutdown plus the depth  had meant the craft has basically become a freezer compartment. 
I should try thinking less. 

8 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

Seen the news this morning reporting something similar was on its way that was able to get down to such depths and use arms to free the sun if it was caught up somewhere. Surely these things should have been first on the scene and sent straight down to the wreckage since that is the only known possible location? 

Unknown user
4 hours ago, That thing you do said:

1. It Imploded

Grim.

Pitch darkness and freezing cold, I read that the bottom of the ocean is a fairly standard temperature between -3 and 0°c. 

Saw an expert who has been on many deep dives himself say that the time which expired as the descended and before losing contact was long enough to be either on the bottom or close to it.

He said there are fierce currents down there which can easily push the craft someplace you don't want to go, a journalist who made the dive to Titanic in a Russian submersible about 20 years or so ago for journalistic reasons gave an example of what can happen. He thought he was going to die down there.

Some strong current pushed them towards the propeller, the size of which startled him, they hit it there was a clang and a bunch of rusting pieces of Titanic came raining down on them. That eventually stopped but now they're wedged in somehow.

The only way to get out is a bit like being in a car stuck in mud, some back and forth movement while trying to get a bit of traction. It took an hour for the pilot to wriggle them free, an hour in which this guy thought this is the end for me.

If they're on the bottom or at any depth they're gone, only slim chance is they surfaced but the chances of finding them in the weather conditions are now slim to no chance.

9 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

I hope this is wrong..

https://uk.yahoo.com/style/british-rescue-mission-titan-blocked-085907193.html

10 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Saw an expert who has been on many deep dives himself say that the time which expired as the descended and before losing contact was long enough to be either on the bottom or close to it.

He said there are fierce currents down there which can easily push the craft someplace you don't want to go, a journalist who made the dive to Titanic in a Russian submersible about 20 years or so ago for journalistic reasons gave an example of what can happen. He thought he was going to die down there.

Some strong current pushed them towards the propeller, the size of which startled him, they hit it there was a clang and a bunch of rusting pieces of Titanic came raining down on them. That eventually stopped but now they're wedged in somehow.

The only way to get out is a bit like being in a car stuck in mud, some back and forth movement while trying to get a bit of traction. It took an hour for the pilot to wriggle them free, an hour in which this guy thought this is the end for me.

If they're on the bottom or at any depth they're gone, only slim chance is they surfaced but the chances of finding them in the weather conditions are now slim to no chance.

That sounds absolutely terrifying. 

It's weird as well because from every video or anything I've seen of deep dives it looks so serene and peaceful as well. 

Unknown user
4 minutes ago, BlueRiver said:

That sounds absolutely terrifying. 

It's weird as well because from every video or anything I've seen of deep dives it looks so serene and peaceful as well. 

They said on the radio yesterday that space is relatively safe compared to the ocean. A spacecraft only has to take 1 atmosphere of difference between earth and space, while at Titanic's depth it's 400 atmospheres of pressure. 

doctor jambo

Was saying to my son yesterday- 24 hrs oxygen for 6 people…….

or 6 days oxygen for 1 person.

Just saying like.

9 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

I hope so but wouldn’t surprise me.

BBC this morning - 

A remotely operated vehicle (ROV) from UK company Magellan is currently being loaded onto a C17 plane at Jersey Airport. 

Their sub – called Juliet – recently scanned the Titanic wreck, producing a 3D view of the entire ship.

Once it leaves, it will take about 48 hours to get to the site – which is beyond the timeline given for air for the passengers. 

It will be able to dive the full depth of the site, and the team has a detailed knowledge of the deep sea area having been there recently.

The sub has been ready to leave since earlier in the week but has been held up by permissions.

Just now, Smithee said:

They said on the radio yesterday that space is relatively safe compared to the ocean. A spacecraft only has to take 1 atmosphere of difference between earth and space, while at Titanic's depth it's 400 atmospheres of pressure. 

Extreme pressure, wild currents and all manner of potential hazards to bump into.  

Couldn't pay me enough to even think about doing it. 

5 minutes ago, BlueRiver said:

Extreme pressure, wild currents and all manner of potential hazards to bump into.  

Yep me too and i'm usually a daredevil. Seems I have a line.

The Real Maroonblood
8 minutes ago, Daktari said:

BBC this morning - 

A remotely operated vehicle (ROV) from UK company Magellan is currently being loaded onto a C17 plane at Jersey Airport. 

Their sub – called Juliet – recently scanned the Titanic wreck, producing a 3D view of the entire ship.

Once it leaves, it will take about 48 hours to get to the site – which is beyond the timeline given for air for the passengers. 

It will be able to dive the full depth of the site, and the team has a detailed knowledge of the deep sea area having been there recently.

The sub has been ready to leave since earlier in the week but has been held up by permissions.

Terrible it’s taken so long to get permission.

Unknown user
2 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

It's been ready to go since Monday night

Unknown user
11 minutes ago, BlueRiver said:

Aye **** that

2 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

At the American side it seems. It was being loaded onto a USAF C17 for transportation so it seems they've 'approved' now....

1 minute ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

I don't think it was ever intended to rescue them, isn't it a surveillance craft? I think the only purpose of it is to try to resolve what happened here. First let's check if we can see it entangled in the wreck. I don't know of anything that could recover the craft if it's down there. Or at least not in any useful length of time. Possibly weeks at best.

The Real Maroonblood
4 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

I don't think it was ever intended to rescue them, isn't it a surveillance craft? I think the only purpose of it is to try to resolve what happened here. First let's check if we can see it entangled in the wreck. I don't know of anything that could recover the craft if it's down there. Or at least not in any useful length of time. Possibly weeks at best.

Maybe not but surely getting it there would assist in some capacity.

5 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

That ROV thing they have coupled with the long cable they use for missile recovery etc is on the agenda no? 

The sad aspects of this to one side - it blows my mind some of the technology humans have developed and created for hostile environments. 

Unknown user
9 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

I think it said that it's the only one with the arms that could drag the sub to the surface

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Titanic "tourist" submarine