***Official Heart of Midlothian v Dundee United Match Thread***

tartofmidlothian

Just now, Henroddy said:

Loving this. Jill has been excellent in the 2 games he played his position. Humps instead of McKay 👍

Hill has also been good 🤣

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• Morgan

• King prawn

• Gmcjambo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

kingantti1874
1 minute ago, Macros said:

My son who I go to the games with is emigrating to Australia on Sunday, let's hope he heads off with a victory 

lucky bassa 

Just now, kingantti1874 said:

lucky bassa 

Heading to Melbourne via the Philippines, at least a year but having been there recently I suspect that lifestyle will make him decide to stay 

MR INCREDIBLE

Ginnelly

Kio.       Snoddy McKay.   Clark

Humps.    Koul.   Natty

Smith.     Sibbick.   Devlin.

Something new by the Gorgie Pep.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
48 minutes ago, His name is said:

I'm hoping our no 9 plays as a no 9

Yip, me too, though we have been successful in the 10 role 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
Just now, MR INCREDIBLE said:

Ginnelly

Humps.    Koul.   Natty

Bit late to the party mate, done to death already, and wasn't funny the first time  :wink:

MR INCREDIBLE
6 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Bit late to the party mate, done to death already, and wasn't funny the first time  :wink:

My apologies. Didn’t read the other pages as some of us don’t spend our whole life on this forum.

I thought it might get a little bite out of a happy clapper 👍

Lord Beni of Gorgie
3 minutes ago, MR INCREDIBLE said:

My apologies. Didn’t read the other pages as some of us don’t spend our whole life on this forum.

:lol:

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, jr ewing said:

Hope he leaves someone up the park on their corners. Old habits die hard I suppose. 

Hardly any team does now, an old tactic in fashion unfortunately. 

3 hours ago, Debut 4 said:

Clark

Hill.  Sibbick. Rowles.  Kingsley. 
Devlin

Snodric. Grant.  
Ginnelly. Shankland. Kuol.  

Kingsley was murder on Wednesday. I wouldnt drop Cochrane for Kingsley tomorrow. 

14 hours ago, liam11 said:

Clark

Smith Sibbick Rowles Cochrane

Devlin   Snodgrass

Ginnelly    Grant      McKay

Shankland

Fed up with the 3-4-3, the complete lack of midfield is the reason why a lot of our performances overall are poor.

I’d be bold and bench the likes of Kingsley and Hill, rather than shuffle to accommodate them.

Not strictly two holding mids as Devlin will wander to hunt down the ball. Gives Grant a fair shot in his natural position, and him occupying that space should see space open up elsewhere for McKay.

Finally you’ve got less need for Shankland to be dropping into his own half all the time. 20 goal striker this season get him up top for **** sake!

This team for me too. McKay & Ginelly getting the ball in for Shankland in his rightful position. Grant supporting through the middle & helping to get a grip of the midfield. Those that say we have done well with the 3 at the back & two in midfield choose to forget that Hibs outplayed us for vast periods of both matches. Lesser teams have consistently given us a hard time in some matches. 4.2.3.1 for me. 

Pasquale for King
56 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Kingsley was murder on Wednesday. I wouldnt drop Cochrane for Kingsley tomorrow. 

Toss up really as Cochrane was no better but seems to get away with consistently bad games, poor since the turn of the year. Maybe worried about the hamstring tweak he had. 

1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

Toss up really as Cochrane was no better but seems to get away with consistently bad games, poor since the turn of the year. Maybe worried about the hamstring tweak he had. 

I hate to keep running down someone who's been such an outstanding player for us, but to me Cochrane wasn't  as bad as Kingsley. Between SK, Hill, and Kuol, they were the most abject misses, and Hill and Kuol had the excuse of being well out of their usual positions.

pettigrewsstylist

Full strength Utd? Rowles v Fletcher was a little shaky last time so expect Hill, to go back into 3 and Toby to push Rowles left. 

Is Devlin fit again? Levitt remains a concern.

11 hours ago, MR INCREDIBLE said:

So just to summarise your points…

Spending a lot of time on Kickback = not cool 👎🏻

Posting something just to get a bite out of strangers on the internet = cool 👍🏻

6 minutes ago, Pete Elliott said:

So just to summarise your points…

Spending a lot of time on Kickback = not cool 👎🏻

Posting something just to get a bite out of strangers on the internet = cool 👍🏻

No different from the vast majority on Kickback.

8 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

I would agree but I’m getting a bit irked with Cochrane.  Sounds daft, because I really like him but if there’s one thing about his game that annoys me is his turning back with the ball when it’s on to carry it up the park.

I think we’re kind of shoehorning them both into the side just now and I’d like Neilson to make the decision that it’s one or the other.  Kingsley maybe needs the games and I feel he’s more positive going forward. 

A change to a back 4 would allow another option elsewhere.  The constant recycling of the ball around the back 5 looks overplayed at times.

Sub4TiddlerMurray
10 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

I would agree but I’m getting a bit irked with Cochrane.  Sounds daft, because I really like him but if there’s one thing about his game that annoys me is his turning back with the ball when it’s on to carry it up the park.

I think we’re kind of shoehorning them both into the side just now and I’d like Neilson to make the decision that it’s one or the other.  Kingsley maybe needs the games and I feel he’s more positive going forward. 

A change to a back 4 would allow another option elsewhere.  The constant recycling of the ball around the back 5 looks overplayed at times.

Agree with this 

Clark 

Hill  Sibbick Rowles 

Atkinson/Smith             Cochrane/Kingsley 

Kio/Devlin    Grant 

Snodgrass 

Shankland/Gino Humphrys 

Bazzas right boot
11 hours ago, jr ewing said:

Hope he leaves someone up the park on their corners. Old habits die hard I suppose. 

You still watching 1980's  football?

awadooningorgie2

I think Kuol and Oda need bled in gently to the team, back to the old heads to get the points in the bag today if it was up to me.

9 minutes ago, CMc said:

Even though we score more goals when there is a player ahead of him?

We scored after about 49(?) seconds the last time we played UTD at home from Gino firing it into Shankland who was in the box.

He is our first player to score 20 goals in a season for 30 year and now we play him out wide or in a number 10 role? 

Not saying it doesn't work, and I'm not saying we don't score goals from him being back and doing the dirty work. 

I am saying I would rather the kind of chances that Oda missed against Livvy, and Kuol missed aswell, fell to Shankland. Surely out of the many, many attacking midfielders and wingers we have we can put Shankland in the box and use him where he has proven to be clinical from since his Ayr days.

8 minutes ago, 151 said:

We scored after about 49(?) seconds the last time we played UTD at home from Gino firing it into Shankland who was in the box.

He is our first player to score 20 goals in a season for 30 year and now we play him out wide or in a number 10 role? 

Not saying it doesn't work, and I'm not saying we don't score goals from him being back and doing the dirty work. 

I am saying I would rather the kind of chances that Oda missed against Livvy, and Kuol missed aswell, fell to Shankland. Surely out of the many, many attacking midfielders and wingers we have we can put Shankland in the box and use him where he has proven to be clinical from since his Ayr days.

I understand that rationale, but the team has scored open play goals at a 400% higher rate with a player ahead of him and Shanks himself has 40% more goal contributions per game when there is someone ahead of him. 

He was often isolated from midfield earlier in the season and was forced into playing with his back to goal. He has been far more clinical with someone in front of him who can offer a one-two or draw a defender away from him. Much harder to double up on him. Look at his goal at Easter Rd as an example. 

12 hours ago, MR INCREDIBLE said:

Ginnelly

Humps.    Koul.   Natty

The BBC will have us lined up something like that too.

1 hour ago, Debut 4 said:

I know what you mean.... especially when he does come forward (usually overlapping Mackay) he regularly causes problems. When we're playing well, this is a move that generally provides goals.

6 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

I know what you mean.... especially when he does come forward (usually overlapping Mackay) he regularly causes problems. When we're playing well, this is a move that generally provides goals.

It’s a trend/habit because it’s clear come the second half he plays more positively, whether we are winning or not.  Neilson must see this and address it at half time but if it’s something quite noticeable, you’d think it would be made aware to Cochrane as part of his game he needs to improve in general?

The lads a cracking player but it’s obviously something he needs to sort out in his mindset.  

Edited by Debut 4

Bazzas right boot
18 minutes ago, CMc said:

I understand that rationale, but the team has scored open play goals at a 400% higher rate with a player ahead of him and Shanks himself has 40% more goal contributions per game when there is someone ahead of him. 

He was often isolated from midfield earlier in the season and was forced into playing with his back to goal. He has been far more clinical with someone in front of him who can offer a one-two or draw a defender away from him. Much harder to double up on him. Look at his goal at Easter Rd as an example. 

Agree with this, but he has dropped too deep at times. 

I like him in this role but he has to be further up the pitch in general.

I also think despite all Shanklands qualities he is slow, very slow so leading  the line limits us

If he's up top, teams can push up knowing he can't run behind.

With Gino at top and fast wide players teams can't do that so need to drop deeper and be aware of our runs v Aberdeen for example, this in turn puts us on the front foot and like v hibs gives Shankland more space around the box and  as you say he's also  harder for defenders  to pick up.

Edited by Bazzas right boot

7 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Definitely happening this game.

9-0 Hearts

Rowles hatrick

Shankland 6(six)

Wonder what odds you'd get for that 😅

1 minute ago, Sooks said:

Back training so might not have too long to wait

👍 Saw that. I think Shankland is doing a great job but unless Grant can step in then Shanks will continue where he is. Barrie has the skill but he’s not a battler and someone has to do it. 

I hope we dismiss what happened on Wednesday night and get back to the business of winning football matches. Robbie got it wrong I hope he has told the players and returns the team to its previous formation where players are comfortable playing and know what they have to do . This lot are a bunch of hatchet men so I hope the ref takes the appropriate  measures.  I am hoping for no injuries but this lot have no shame and will try to cause trouble for anybody trying to play football.In what will more than likely be a tough bruising game I am going 2-1 to the famous.

4 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

👍 Saw that. I think Shankland is doing a great job but unless Grant can step in then Shanks will continue where he is. Barrie has the skill but he’s not a battler and someone has to do it. 

Agree with that

3 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Agree with this, but he has dropped too deep at times. 

I like him in this role but he has to be further up the pitch in general.

I also think despite all Shanklands qualities he is slow, very slow so leading  the line limits us

If he's up top, teams can push up knowing he can't run behind.

With Gino at top and fast wide players teams can't do that so need to drop deeper and be aware of our runs v Aberdeen for example, this in turn puts us on the front foot and like v hibs gives Shankland more space around the box and he's also  harder for defenders  to pick up.

yeah, completely agree. 

The whole team was way too deep v Sevco. Kickback got its wish and we dropped Devlin and Snodgrass and didn’t trust Kio and Grant. We played a centrehalf at right back like folk have been itching for us to do. We chucked a bunch of new boys on as well. If Baz had been dropped as well, it would have been everything some folk have been asking for for weeks (I assume those folk enjoyed the results? Haven’t been on for a while to check). 

The lack of dig in midfield pinned the whole team back. Shanks was too deep - but so was everyone else. He’d have got even less ball playing orthodox 9 (as the graphic below shows). 

D10A96D7-0D2E-4A7D-AAD3-9616343779A2.jpeg

Snodgrass played and very few people were calling for Devlin to be dropped. They certainly didn’t represent the whole of kickback imo.

Nice graphic though. The lack of dig in midfield was a huge problem. 

A lot of hyperbole about Kingsley in my opinion . He just needs a run of games in one position and he will be back to his excellent old self . McKay is just a typical winger who will have games where nothing comes off for him and then suddenly just pull out a tremendous move like the one where he last scored

14 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Snodgrass played and very few people were calling for Devlin to be dropped. They certainly didn’t represent the whole of kickback imo.

Nice graphic though. The lack of dig in midfield was a huge problem. 

Apologies- absolutely correct re Snodgrass. Will edit to correct    And accept it is not all of kickback (we never all agree on anything) - but a lot of folk were calling for this. 

Edit:missed the cut off. 

Edited by CMc