• Hearts007

• Morgan

• King prawn

• Gmcjambo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

...andFulton'sBaggio
22 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

It’s just a mirroring thing. Most players are right footed (generally), so when on the ball or not it’s more beneficial to have at least half an area of the pitch as right footed. But when you have two right footers in CM or CB, you’ll find who they are up against more likely to be the same, so it’s easier to shape the body up. Left footers as a pairing tend to be more awkward than right footers.

No science behind this of course, just observational. We saw it against Rangers with Rowles and Kingsley as the CB pairing and also with Halliday and Snodgrass against St. Mirren.

As a left footer myself, I never had a problem playing against right footers 😉

I really don't think it makes a difference. Probably better to have one of each, but two right footers being better than two left footers in a pairing - I'm not having that!

FWIW, I reckon left footers look more awkward in central positions purely because there are fewer of them in general (it’ll be around 30% if it's anything like handedness), and therefore supporters are less used to watching them!

Edited by ...andFulton'sBaggio
*should have said centre right positions

Not sure what right Haliday has to come straight back into the team, when Kio and Grant have been decent.

I predict slow passing around the defence each time looking for Snodgrass, who will be man marked. Cheaply give the ball away and hope we don't get punished. Snodgrass and Haliday to get over run because the other two "midfielders" are hugging the touchline and in no way supporting the other two. 

The crowd will get frustrated and our only chance of winning will be individual brilliance from one of the forwards

Just now, jambopilms said:

Not sure what right Haliday has to come straight back into the team, when Kio and Grant have been decent.

I predict slow passing around the defence each time looking for Snodgrass, who will be man marked. Cheaply give the ball away and hope we don't get punished. Snodgrass and Haliday to get over run because the other two "midfielders" are hugging the touchline and in no way supporting the other two. 

The crowd will get frustrated and our only chance of winning will be individual brilliance from one of the forwards

:sad:

1 minute ago, jambopilms said:

You’re a ray of sunshine!!

The greeting after 2 shit performances is beyond the pale. It was very obvious Halliday would start today, RN trusts him and nearly always plays him when he’s fit. No surprise at all. Also little shock he’s reverting to the 3 of Hill, Sibbick amd Rowles nor the 3 of McKay, Shankland and Ginnelly who have served him well since the return post WC. Personally I’d have liked to see Kuol up front today but he’ll get time to impact the game. 

We’ll bounce back and win this. 

17 minutes ago, DS98 said:

Exactly. I like Halliday but not in CM. Kio is a far more mobile option and Grant has far more quality on the ball. 

Looks like Utd will be playing a 3 man midfield with Sibbald, McGrath and Levitt. Snoddy better not have one of those games where he loses possession a lot because they will be all over it like a rash.

Aye their midfield are barry, hence bottom of the league.

Maybe im missing something. 

...andFulton'sBaggio
6 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

The greeting after 2 shit performances is beyond the pale. It was very obvious Halliday would start today, RN trusts him and nearly always plays him when he’s fit. No surprise at all. Also little shock he’s reverting to the 3 of Hill, Sibbick amd Rowles nor the 3 of McKay, Shankland and Ginnelly who have served him well since the return post WC. Personally I’d have liked to see Kuol up front today but he’ll get time to impact the game. 

We’ll bounce back and win this. 

This. Halliday's in there because of his SPFL experience. He's not always great, but he's a goal threat and he knows what it takes to win a game like this.

As others have said though, he and Snodric will need help in there, which most likely means McKay and Shanks dropping in and increasing the numbers in the middle of the park. This often means Shanks is not in the six yard box where you'd want him. But it's a system that's served us well in the past  so let's just wait and see!

Edited by ...andFulton'sBaggio
Pushed wrong button

46 minutes ago, King prawn said:

I thought so but a back 4 of what 

Hill Sibbick Rowels Kingsley ? 

Nielson doesn’t like a back 4 so I doubt it. Which means the other option of Halliday and Forrest at wing back …..

No way is Hill going to be playing rb. It's not his position as was shown on Wed. Back 3. Kingsley and Forrest as wing backs. 

13 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

You’ve lost your happy pills, haven’t you?

FFS

5 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Think folk are just annoyed because the changes they wanted to happen after Wednesday didn’t happen. We should have enough for this shower of shite. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug

Well, team not being picked on form anyway.

Complete lack of balance in midfield and Halliday was gash last time out.

Kingsley couldn’t pick out 4 yard passes last time out when under no pressure.

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

Think folk are just annoyed because the changes they wanted to happen after Wednesday didn’t happen. We should have enough for this shower of shite. 

👍

Tom Hardy’s Dug
1 minute ago, Morgan said:

FFS

He’s right re Halliday to be fair.

7 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Not the amount of change we expected, Harry, but still a good enough team to win today.  👍

1 minute ago, Sertse said:

Huge game for McKay. Surely make or break.

Yes, he’s pretty lucky to be starting today, going by recent performances.

The Mercer Takeover

Could someone tell me why Forrest and McKay are deserving of a start.

Is this another Neilson masterclass in tinkering

1 minute ago, The Mercer Takeover said:

Forrest showed some effort in the last game

Edited by Hearts007

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, The Mercer Takeover said:

Because Neilson knows far, far, far, far better than you. 

Keeping Mckay in is also the opposite from tinkering.

2 minutes ago, The Mercer Takeover said:

Forrest was a wee mini ray of sunshine on an overcast Wednesday night. 

9 minutes ago, Morgan said:

FFS

Yeah and forgot to say whenever they have the ball they will go unchallenged until they reach our box. Just what I have seen against St Mirren x 2 and Hibs X2, Livi and Rangers.

Hope I am wrong of course.

28 minutes ago, ...andFulton'sBaggio said:

As a left footer myself, I never had a problem playing against right footers 😉

I really don't think it makes a difference. Probably better to have one of each, but two right footers being better than two left footers in a pairing - I'm not having that!

FWIW, I reckon left footers look more awkward in central positions purely because there are fewer of them in general (it’ll be around 30% if it's anything like handedness), and therefore supporters are less used to watching them!

Maybe. But I think it’s more to do with shaping up for passes or interceptions. Take Atkinson in the first January derby, got moved to LWB and when balls went over the top he naturally shaped up to run back but then had to twist themselves. So this happens with whoever is playing the wrong side of the pitch (for them) but then when you do have the ball you shape to pass and it’s normally easier to pass to the opposite foot, where I feel there’s a wee delay when adjusting to pass to the correct foot is same footed and it’s a little bit more of a delay if left footed as players are less used to it. Even left footers.

But maybe you’re right, maybe it just seems more awkward to the eye. Can’t be at the game as in transit for work, so will have to rely on the radio to let me know how it goes when back on the road.