***Official Heart of Midlothian v Dundee United Match Thread***

tartofmidlothian

Ex member of the SaS
Just now, i wish jj was my dad said:

It wasn't all the time ffs. We do vary it but we just dont play the direct percentage football you want us to. We score some amount of goals for a team that is so ponderous in attack

Hearts tv commentators think we are, the booing at half time seems to agree we are, IIRC Zander only once kicked the ball out from his box during the Utd game.

Stated in a previous post we passed around the back seven times before the ball got to the half way line only to lose possession, then having won it back we played around six passes before going forward, if that isn't slow ponderous play I don't know what is.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• Morgan

• King prawn

• Gmcjambo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i wish jj was my dad
Just now, Ex member of the SaS said:

Hearts tv commentators think we are, the booing at half time seems to agree we are, IIRC Zander only once kicked the ball out from his box during the Utd game.

Stated in a previous post we passed around the back seven times before the ball got to the half way line only to lose possession, then having won it back we played around six passes before going forward, if that isn't slow ponderous play I don't know what is.

It's deliberate to draw out opposition who want to sit in. Not exactly cavalier but pretty effective and often very good to watch, particularly when we switch the ball quickly.  

Football has changed from the Doddie era. We are having to change with it. 

Ex member of the SaS
1 minute ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

It's deliberate to draw out opposition who want to sit in. Not exactly cavalier but pretty effective and often very good to watch, particularly when we switch the ball quickly.  

Playing possession football to draw out sitting in teams is all well and good, but we continue to play this way when being pressed and lose the ball too easily.

Playing the ball quicker is what I have been banging on about for weeks.

6 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Dundee United weren’t really sitting in. I do agree though, we try to draw teams out but recently our counter attacking (once we’ve drawn them out) has been a bit slow. Players taking too many touches and playing two or three short passes cross field when one pass would be more effective. We were much quicker on the counter earlier in the season and we still are at times but not as often as we were imo. It can be a bit frustrating and gives sides time to organise themselves defensively. 

Edited by GinRummy

4 hours ago, wheelyjim said:

And for all you midfield aficionados - don't know if you've noticed Cammy and Benny are injured.

Omg  I keep forgetting about Beni.

2 hours ago, RustyRightPeg said:

United have appealed the red 🤣

FFS seldom will you see a bigger waste of time and money.

who do they think they are kidding? Just pandering to their numpty fans

2 hours ago, RustyRightPeg said:

United have appealed the red 🤣

“We are absolutely sure its not a red because Walsh was looking at it and never blew for a foul, Further to that Ryan is a good lad and would never look to leave anything on another player. Honestly….”

Berra than you
3 hours ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

This. Folk can debate all they like about the merits if playing different ways, but it is deliberate. McKay's goal against St Mirren a few weeks back is a good example of it working very well.

40 minutes ago, Riga 2022 said:

Good to see Edwards lost his appeal   

Absolute cheek to appeal it!  It was a mingin challenge and as much as I hate VAR its the type of challenge we'll hopefully see phased out.

You often see reds - correctly - given for a lunge when the player has simply overrun the ball and made a silly attempt to get it back, which is dangerous but not malicious.  They look bad and are dangerous, but they happen.

But this type of challenge where "I'm clearly getting the ball so I've got a chance to leave one on this guy" is way, way worse.  Proper thuggery*.  The fact United seem to be supporting him in this says it all about them at the moment.

*I know.  I've done it!

Pasquale for King

Agree about Edwards, for Liam Fox to come out and say that it was a good challenge in his day tells you all you need to know. Thank **** we don’t have to play them again. 
Football has moved on thankfully, his outdated ideas should see them relegated and him sacked, can’t wait. 

29 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Absolute cheek to appeal it!  It was a mingin challenge and as much as I hate VAR its the type of challenge we'll hopefully see phased out.

You often see reds - correctly - given for a lunge when the player has simply overrun the ball and made a silly attempt to get it back, which is dangerous but not malicious.  They look bad and are dangerous, but they happen.

But this type of challenge where "I'm clearly getting the ball so I've got a chance to leave one on this guy" is way, way worse.  Proper thuggery*.  The fact United seem to be supporting him in this says it all about them at the moment.

*I know.  I've done it!

yup

Bazzas right boot
On 06/02/2023 at 12:01, Pasquale for King said:

We are way ahead of the rest of the league, two easy derby wins and against the sheep show what we can do when only showing fleeting glimpses of our best form. 
Teams will obviously have chances but when you're lucky to be only 1 down against 10 men at home to the worst team in the league he had to change. We have not perfected the 343 system,even the manager would accept that. 

Apart from utd and Rangers we've given very little away in terms of chances. 

We've not been as dominate in terms of midfield and controlling the game but compared to early on in the season we're giving away far fewer clear cut chances.

Hibs at ER had a couple but came right at the start and right at the end, St mirren huffed and puffed but only had maybe 1 clear cut chance,  Aberdeen had none, St mirren in the 1-1 created very little,  killie got little change and v livi, they only has one chance from a punt.

Hibs at Tynecastle got their best chance courtesy of Devlin  and then there was a double save but we were 2-0 up at that time. 

We've been far tighter more recently and it's reflected in the results and cleN sheets.

The system isn't perfected, but it likely never will.

• 1 month later...