• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• Nucky Thompson

• joondalupjambo

• JudyJudyJudy

Malinga the Swinga
5 minutes ago, Victorian said:

It doesn't sound like we'll be getting an awful lot this year upon fishing for a heads up on the annual review.  Disappointing,  but not a cause for upset for me.  The other employee I mentioned will be livid though.  Goodbye from him I guess.

The stupid thing is that they'll need to pay a new guy the same rate as they would pay the highly experienced,  skilled guy.  Same pay - nowhere near the same productivity / quality of work.  Plus the jeopardy of a succession of short term occupancy in the position.

The practicality is to give him a bit more.  Not an awful lot tbh.  Keep the skills,  experience,  productivity,  continuity.  

Otherwise astute people can be a bit thick sometimes.

That's true, but they will congratulate themselves on being tough and keeping bottom line figure. 

Think you are being kind using 'a bit' in sentence instead of extremely.

1 minute ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

That's true, but they will congratulate themselves on being tough and keeping bottom line figure. 

Think you are being kind using 'a bit' in sentence instead of extremely.

:Agree:

I hope I'm nearby when the boy announces he's offski.  

Shooter McGavin
27 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Say the RM CEO took a pay cut to 100k

You've now got £496k to distribute between c.150,000 employees. An extra couple of quid per annum is hardly going to make much difference to their situation is it?

You point in bold is very pertinent though and the real problem imo. That said (and I don't know the avg salary of a mail worker) the avg and starting salary for nurses, transport workers and teachers isn't bad. It's broadly in line with what I'm paid, and I don't live a glamorous life, but it's a good life.

I’m not necessarily trying to suggest that cutting CEO’s wages is the direct solution to paying employees a fair wage,

what I’m suggesting is that it’s pretty abhorrent for people on charge of businesses generating hundreds of millions of pounds worth of profit, who are themselves on salaries that are about 3.5 times more than the Prime Minister, telling their workers they can’t pay them a fair wage, and are going to decimate their working conditions.

That just doesn’t sit right with me at all.

And on your last bit there, of-course some workers in those sectors will be relatively fine, but on the backdrop of the CoL crisis, there’ll be plenty who’s quality of life is being eroded in front of them and they’re being forced to strike. Both with regards to pay and working conditions.

But that kind of sums up the state of Britain right now.

Fire & re-hire, cheap labour, zero hour contracts, agency workers etc, rather than just being fair, and treating people with respect.

2 hours ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Can I ask what scenarios you believe I’ve made up?

Perhaps the people bemoaning and vilifying workers who are striking or are going on strike, right wing rags stirring up their moronic readers by calling Mick Lynch “Grinch” etc.

Okay, if every nurse, transport worker, mail worker etc got a “better job” or more education/qualifications, then who fills those vacant positions they’d be leaving? Do they get handed down to the next batch of people who are ready to get exploited?

Aye you’re right, times are tough and people are just being unreasonable with their salary demands, the money simply isn’t there….

Cough* Network Rail CEO annual salary of £588,000 before bonuses, Royal Mail CEO annual salary £596,000 before bonuses Cough*

But aye, there’s just no money to pay the workers a fair wage apparently 😂

Not every nurse or postie wants a better job though and not all of them are struggling or unhappy. Not everyone has ambitions to go further, people become working age or change jobs. Your point  about everyone moving up is a nonsense. Can we also stop pretending these people are being exploited or confirm you don’t know what the word means. They are well paid, they do deserve a fair rise but circumstances for some at the moment mean it’s tough. 

Ceo wages mean nothing in the grand scheme of things, it’s very weird when they get chucked about. The responsibility and pressure in such roles is on a different planet to what most of us go through. The market decides what  these people get paid to have a go at individuals salaries is pathetic. 

Let’s see what happens to prices if we just pay everyone what they want. 

henrysmithsgloves
1 hour ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Good idea, whose do we use as maximum?

You🤣🤣 seriously though why do some qualify for minimum or living wage🤔

Jambof3tornado
7 hours ago, theshed said:

Not up to date regards this but can I ask what you’s are being offered if you don’t mind? Was it 5%? 

Was the teachers 7% and NHS 5% 

No one wants to strike but good luck cause unless you’s strike they will offer you as little as possible 

I'm a lower band than the wife so it was 9.3% for me but 6% for her. My offer is decent but still below inflation,hers is a P take. 

The Mighty Thor
6 hours ago, Dazo said:

What is weird is the frowned about attitude of asking people to better themselves or the situation they find themselves in. Of course it isn’t impossible for everyone but **** me we should encourage anyone to get a better job or education/qualifications which will improve their pay prospects. 

Maybe we should have a budget that kind of like supports the strivers by giving the bankers tax cuts or something.

We could call it something like 'trickle down economics'?

Guys like you and Malinger could get right behind it from your tax haven in Berwick. No?

"get a bettur joab"

:vrface:
Not everybody can be middle management or work in a certain sector.
There aren't enough of those jobs to go around.
Someone has to do the entry level jobs, so those jobs must pay enough to be viable. 
In that past, they haven't been, which is why the UK had to bring in immigrants to do them in stints a few months at a time. 
Because nobody living full time in the UK can afford to live on the shite wages these jobs pay.
So stop peddling the myth that people are only in financial trouble because they haven't worked hard enough or changed jobs or been promoted.
The real world doesn't work that way.
Get the min wage up to £15 an hour.

Malinga the Swinga
19 minutes ago, Cade said:

"get a bettur joab"

Someone has to do the entry level jobs, so those jobs must pay enough to be viable. 
In that past, they haven't been, which is why the UK had to bring in immigrants to do them in stints a few months at a time. 
Because nobody living full time in the UK can afford to live on the shite wages these jobs pay.
So stop peddling the myth that people are only in financial trouble because they haven't worked hard enough or changed jobs or been promoted.

Complete pie in the sky. The real world doesn't work line that. No chance of minimum wage going up to £15. You'd either bankrupt small businesses or else they'd be forced to get rid of most of their workers.

The Real Maroonblood
25 minutes ago, Cade said:

"get a bettur joab"

Perish the thought business owners having less profit.

How would they cope.

They would be suicidal.

Shooter McGavin
3 hours ago, Dazo said:

Not every nurse or postie wants a better job though and not all of them are struggling or unhappy. Not everyone has ambitions to go further, people become working age or change jobs. Your point  about everyone moving up is a nonsense. Can we also stop pretending these people are being exploited or confirm you don’t know what the word means. They are well paid, they do deserve a fair rise but circumstances for some at the moment mean it’s tough. 

Ceo wages mean nothing in the grand scheme of things, it’s very weird when they get chucked about. The responsibility and pressure in such roles is on a different planet to what most of us go through. The market decides what  these people get paid to have a go at individuals salaries is pathetic. 

Let’s see what happens to prices if we just pay everyone what they want. 

Aye you’re right Dazo, not every nurse or postie wants better pay or working conditions, they’re all happy as larry right now. Aye and you’re right they’re not being exploited, they’re just on strike for a laugh eh.

You’re also right on the CEO wages thing, what was I thinking bringing a CEO’s wage into a debate involving their direct employees? I mean why is that relevant at all…

It certainly was pathetic of me bringing individuals wages into a debate about the cost of living crisis, I was way off the mark with that. I mean what have wages and the cost of living crisis got to do with each other?

Psychedelicropcircle

Minimum wage. As an example I sometimes go into subway at break time. As close as you can find to a human zombie is walking around in a daze asking wot I’d like in my salad box. The body language says it all & im thinking if this sloth is here 40 hours he’s earning north of £400 net.  I find myself thinking minimum wage minimum effort.

The railway industry can’t have 10% but the MW is going up by that in April. I guess that’s because it’s out the business pocket & not the government’s. Mixed messages from the tories about high wage Britain. 

Unemployment benefits in 20/21: £1.23 billion
Business subsidies in 20/21: £120.1 billion

It's a political choice.

It always has been.

Never, ever let them tell you that something is unaffordable. It's gobshite.

The Mighty Thor
10 minutes ago, Cade said:

It's a political choice.

It always has been.

Aye but ma taxes ur payin fur lazy fat folk will mobiles and a flat screen telly likesy 😂

6 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Aye but ma taxes ur payin fur lazy fat folk will mobiles and a flat screen telly likesy 😂

Fat lazy RICH folk with mobiles and a flat screen telly, aye......

Malinga the Swinga

Not every business is making millions. Some are struggling to survive but no, on here, it's businesses can afford it and they should up minimum wage.

All that will happen is the business will either get rid of staff they have and people will become unemployed, or they'll close business down and again, people will lose their job.

There must be some small business owners on here but they'll be scared to speak as they'll be accused of being billionaire Tories.

On 28/11/2022 at 11:52, skinnybob72 said:

The 5% in July isn’t a payrise - it’s converting part of your bonus entitlement (not guaranteed I know) into basic salary. 

Yes but it stays as part of your salary going forward 

So effectively its increasing my salary to an amount way more than previous and I get this until I retire *

* which could be next June 🤣

mrmarkus1981_1
9 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Not every business is making millions. Some are struggling to survive but no, on here, it's businesses can afford it and they should up minimum wage.

All that will happen is the business will either get rid of staff they have and people will become unemployed, or they'll close business down and again, people will lose their job.

There must be some small business owners on here but they'll be scared to speak as they'll be accused of being billionaire Tories.

Hiya 👏

13 hours ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Aye you’re right Dazo, not every nurse or postie wants better pay or working conditions, they’re all happy as larry right now. Aye and you’re right they’re not being exploited, they’re just on strike for a laugh eh.

You’re also right on the CEO wages thing, what was I thinking bringing a CEO’s wage into a debate involving their direct employees? I mean why is that relevant at all…

It certainly was pathetic of me bringing individuals wages into a debate about the cost of living crisis, I was way off the mark with that. I mean what have wages and the cost of living crisis got to do with each other?

There is no point arguing with bitter individuals( Thor aside) who blame other people for the predicament they find themselves in. 

9 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

EasyJet holiday bookings up - what cost of living crisis ? 

correct, some are flying all over the shoap, tbh still lots on the breadline, maybe electric planes would help the planet ,

want us all to drive electric , but we know where the problem is.

Just now, Harry Potter said:

correct, some are flying all over the shoap, tbh still lots on the breadline, maybe electric planes would help the planet ,

want us all to drive electric , but we know where the problem is.

Probably cheaper to sit in Spain for a fortnight, than heat your home for two weeks.

Shooter McGavin
3 minutes ago, Dazo said:

There is no point arguing with bitter individuals( Thor aside) who blame other people for the predicament they find themselves in. 

No, there’s no point arguing with people who just go full 180 on everything you’re saying, and it’s clear that any further data backed arguments I presented to you, you’d just continue to go full 180 on them whilst offering very little in the way of explanation or reasoning.

If Kickback has taught me anything, it’s that I’ve got absolutely nothing to gain from an exchange like that.

See Taffin as an example of someone worthy of discussing things with, he’s capable of presenting compelling arguments that challenge your position, and he’s capable of doing so by bringing relevant info and reasoning to the table, other than close ended statements that are expected to be taken at face value.

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Probably cheaper to sit in Spain for a fortnight, than heat your home for two weeks.

I’m in Tenerife at the moment 

£90 return so your no far wrong 

13 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

If businesses owners can’t afford to run a business paying fair wages they should just take their skill set to another industry and start another business. 

6 minutes ago, gjcc said:

If businesses owners can’t afford to run a business paying fair wages they should just take their skill set to another industry and start another business. 

That's what I do, just do a re-start every 2 years, lay off all the staff for next to nothing, bump the revenue and move onto the next project. 

42 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

That's what I do, just do a re-start every 2 years, lay off all the staff for next to nothing, bump the revenue and move onto the next project. 

That’s good of you. It allows the staff to just go get a better paid job. 

(For avoidance of doubt I’m being facetious in reference to the poster I quoted stating that people not happy with their pay should just get new jobs.) 

Malinga the Swinga
21 minutes ago, gjcc said:

That’s good of you. It allows the staff to just go get a better paid job. 

(For avoidance of doubt I’m being facetious in reference to the poster I quoted stating that people not happy with their pay should just get new jobs.) 

For avoidance of doubt, I recognised that. 

Just taken another paycut.

Our staff have been given 5% and Scotgov have reimbursed that, but we have to cover the superann and higher employers contributions out of practice funds that reduces our 4.5% to about 2%.

With rising energy bills and running costs it means we get just over 1%.

Jambof3tornado
2 hours ago, doctor jambo said:

Our staff have been given 5% and Scotgov have reimbursed that, but we have to cover the superann and higher employers contributions out of practice funds that reduces our 4.5% to about 2%.

Thats not great...at all!!!

The Hogfather
21 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

It's ok, those people can just retrain for a management position somewhere else.

2 hours ago, doctor jambo said:

Could you not use your skill set to get another job? Maybe become a celebrity?

In all seriousness, that’s a complete joke.  Wages being eroded all over the shop under the guise of “wage rises”. 

Malinga the Swinga
33 minutes ago, The Hogfather said:

It's ok, those people can just retrain for a management position somewhere else.

Well done on repeating comment from gjcc earlier and above. His was amusing and original. Yours was neither. You should put more effort in next time or try another message board elsewhere.

The Hogfather
3 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Well done on repeating comment from gjcc earlier and above. His was amusing and original. Yours was neither. You should put more effort in next time or try another message board elsewhere.

If gjcc feels the need to pull me up for plagiarising his comment, he's free to do so. You may dry your eyes :) 

3 minutes ago, The Hogfather said:

If gjcc feels the need to pull me up for plagiarising his comment, he's free to do so. You may dry your eyes :) 

£10 donation to FoH and I will not pursue this further. 

The Hogfather
2 minutes ago, gjcc said:

£10 donation to FoH and I will not pursue this further. 

And what do we do about the clear emotional distress this has caused Jacob Rees-Mogg? Shall I alert the Samaritans?

Jeffros Furios
21 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Get a job ya boring fart 😴 

John Gentleman
On 30/11/2022 at 07:43, Cade said:

It's a political choice.

It always has been.

You're right. Corporate welfare is a curse. We've been gaslighted into believing it's in our best interests. Bullshit, the lot of it.

Shooter McGavin

I see that yesterdays rent freeze announcement has landlords worried that they won’t be able to afford their portfolio of properties…

They are petrified at the thought of getting an actual job 😂

I've just been to a railway station (Berwick-upon-Tweed) and was gob-smacked at what they were charging in their machines.

e.g. £2.20 for a bottle of water, £2.50 for a wee Coke, and £1.20 for a tiny packet of crisps.

Meanwhile, the Costa franchise there are charging £3.40 for a small latte or cappucino.

Anyone paying that must be minted.

Screenshot_20221204-203047_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20221204-203055_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20221204-203109_Gallery.jpg

Jeffros Furios
16 minutes ago, Wee Mikey said:

I've just been to a railway station (Berwick-upon-Tweed) and was gob-smacked at what they were charging in their machines.

e.g. £2.20 for a bottle of water, £2.50 for a wee Coke, and £1.20 for a tiny packet of crisps.

Meanwhile, the Costa franchise there are charging £3.40 for a small latte or cappucino.

Anyone paying that must be minted.

Screenshot_20221204-203047_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20221204-203055_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20221204-203109_Gallery.jpg

It's always been overpriced wee baws ..

14 minutes ago, Jeffros Furios said:

It's always been overpriced wee baws ..

Ma baws shrunk even more at the very sight!!!

Just as well that I'd packed a picnic. 😎