Doctor FinnBarr

44 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

How it works is, if your unhappy, suggest you take your skillset to another industry. If you stay, that is your decision alone.

Neither myself or many of my colleagues are unhappy in our work bud. You have the wrong end of the stick. 

What's funny is that there are people in here boasting about a 20% pay increase whilst saying elsewhere that others aren't even worth anything 🤦

• Replies 794
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• Nucky Thompson

• joondalupjambo

• JudyJudyJudy

We got a cost of living payment in our wages this month. I got £1250 extra as did all other managers. All other staff got £1650.

41 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Never said it was easy. Alternative is sitting bumping your gums about life being up unfair.

If you aren't happy, take some responsibility on yourself and do something about it.

Then who is going to do all the underpaid jobs? 

33 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

Neither myself or many of my colleagues are unhappy in our work bud. You have the wrong end of the stick. 

What's funny is that there are people in here boasting about a 20% pay increase whilst saying elsewhere that others aren't even worth anything 🤦

Most seem to be reporting around 5%, fair few saying zero - not sure where you saw 20%? 

Edited by Japan Jambo

45 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Union has rejected the pay deal at my job and ultimately the employer has come back and said that’s the best they will offer. So staff will continue striking I suppose. 

Everyone should just go and get another job in a different industry instead of complaining. 

smart.png

10 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Everyone should just go and get another job in a different industry instead of complaining. 

smart.png

Yeah I seen him post that. Stinks of a tory attitude. 

13 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

smart.png

aye if there was jobs in them,  

Malinga the Swinga
36 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

See Malinga's post on p1.

Almost 20%

Works out at 19.6%. Thread asked if employer supporting employees and my one is. That's a good thing I would have thought. Hasn't always been case but they appear to be making real effort just now.

Will we expected to work a bit extra, contribute a bit more, probably but that's a fair ask at current time.

Not my fault if others employers don't value them as much.

Public services different as they have their pension and benefits they won't trade in.

If you aren't happy at your work or believe your underpaid, then do something about it. Retrain, go for promotion, study after work for qualifications because if you don't, someone else will and they'll get the rewards.

Malinga the Swinga
23 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Not Tory attitude, it's a you are responsible for your decisions and actions attitude.

If you want more money, and your work won't or can't give you it, do something about it yourself.

What exactly is the alternative? Sitting on backside bemoaning bad luck or decisions won't help.

Malinga the Swinga
1 hour ago, IronJambo said:

Who said others aren't worth anything? Whose boasting? The thread asked question and I answered it.

You are worth what someone offers you. If it isn't enough for you, go and seek work elsewhere. Life is unfair. Thought you might have realised that by now.

I don't decide who gets paid what. I can decide though to stay, retrain or commit elsewhere if I am not satisfied with my pay. So can you.

Malinga the Swinga
Just now, Ray Gin said:

Struggling with the current cost of living crisis? Just study after work and you might get a promotion a couple of years down the line.

What's wrong with that? If you don't, others will be and they'll get the rewards. You might even 

Look for jobs elsewhere isn't an evil, it's an option.

If you stay where you are, doing the same things as you have done before, are you seriously expecting to start getting loads more pay, especially in public sector. It won't happen unless you are extremely lucky.

4 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

What's wrong with that? If you don't, others will be and they'll get the rewards. You might even 

Look for jobs elsewhere isn't an evil, it's an option.

If you stay where you are, doing the same things as you have done before, are you seriously expecting to start getting loads more pay, especially in public sector. It won't happen unless you are extremely lucky.

What's wrong with that is that there are people who are struggling right now, not 2 years down the line.

There are people with high-level qualifications doing jobs where pay has stagnated for years and what was a decent wage isn't any more.

There is not an abundance of better paid opportunities in the same industry for them to move to.

Edited by Ray Gin

Malinga the Swinga
3 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

What's wrong with that is that there are people who are struggling right now, not 2 years down the line.

There are people with high-level qualifications doing jobs where pay has stagnated for years and what was a decent wage isn't any more.

There is not an abundance of better paid opportunities in the same industry for them to move to.

Okay, carry on doing exactly the same now as previous and see where that takes you. I'd suggest it will get you exactly where you are already, but that's just my opinion.

If no better paid opportunity exists in current industry, does it not make sense to look at different one.

If you don't want to do anything, then I hope your employer is as helpful as mine. Some will be and some won't.

Absolutely no point carrying this on as thread originally asked if employer was helping and when I said mine was, that appeared to be wrong answer and you immediately took hump. It does appear only negative answers will be acceptable therefore I'm out. I'll tell my boss to stop caring from now on as jkb doesn't appreciate it.

Jeffros Furios
1 minute ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Okay, carry on doing exactly the same now as previous and see where that takes you. I'd suggest it will get you exactly where you are already, but that's just my opinion.

If no better paid opportunity exists in current industry, does it not make sense to look at different one.

If you don't want to do anything, then I hope your employer is as helpful as mine. Some will be and some won't.

Absolutely no point carrying this on as thread originally asked if employer was helping and when I said mine was, that appeared to be wrong answer and you immediately took hump. It does appear only negative answers will be acceptable therefore I'm out. I'll tell my boss to stop caring from now on as jkb doesn't appreciate it.

Grow up ya old slavering oaf ... biggest bore on the forum away and tell yer boss that ! 

25 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Who said others aren't worth anything? Whose boasting? The thread asked question and I answered it.

You are worth what someone offers you. If it isn't enough for you, go and seek work elsewhere. Life is unfair. Thought you might have realised that by now.

I don't decide who gets paid what. I can decide though to stay, retrain or commit elsewhere if I am not satisfied with my pay. So can you.

You make a lot of assumptions here. I for one don't plan on waiting until I'm old to retire. As an aside, you sound like a school teacher with your bad advice. Nobody ever got rich by employment, and certainly not by working "harder". 

8 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

You're just upset that it's showed you up.

39 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Not Tory attitude, it's a you are responsible for your decisions and actions attitude.

If you want more money, and your work won't or can't give you it, do something about it yourself.

What exactly is the alternative? Sitting on backside bemoaning bad luck or decisions won't help.

Had a friend who moaned to me that I

” easy “ job and good pay.  “ alright for some” he said . Told him it wasn’t  “ easy 

“ to get this position . It took hard work and study ( years ) to get where I was plus a post graduate certificate too ( further increased my wage ) . Nothing of  any value comes easy . 

26 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

You seem to have assumed that I'm talking from a personal viewpoint. I like my job and am reasonably happy with my pay, even if I have had an effective pay cut due to the massive hike in inflation. I took the hump at you telling people to get get another job, not at your employer giving you a raise.

Edited by Ray Gin

joondalupjambo

All the olk on here saying that are getting extra from their employer is that via PAYE?

Is that extra income not all taxable then?

So for example if you said that you got 400 quid then roughly, is that not 320 after tax, roughly and just an example to highlight that you are actually getting less in your hand that the total given.  Obviously all depends on individual earnings.

Not that this is not good, getting someting from your employer but the point is the Government gets some extra as well.

The Hogfather
50 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Almost 20%

Works out at 19.6%. Thread asked if employer supporting employees and my one is. That's a good thing I would have thought. Hasn't always been case but they appear to be making real effort just now.

Will we expected to work a bit extra, contribute a bit more, probably but that's a fair ask at current time.

Not my fault if others employers don't value them as much.

Public services different as they have their pension and benefits they won't trade in.

If you aren't happy at your work or believe your underpaid, then do something about it. Retrain, go for promotion, study after work for qualifications because if you don't, someone else will and they'll get the rewards.

"Underpaid? Why not use your meagre salary to pay for qualifications or go for promotions that might not even exist."

:laugh: 

Jambof3tornado

Both the wife and I are nhs staff and are happy to strike if humza keeps ripping the piss with his offers.

No help from our employers so far......

Lord Montpelier
14 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Both the wife and I are nhs staff and are happy to strike if humza keeps ripping the piss with his offers.

Humza has been ripping the piss (and a decent salary) out of Scotland for a few years, he won't change. Never seen him defended by anyone, even the most fervent Nationalists on this forum. 

36 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

You have every right to strike.  

10 hours ago, Negan said:

I'm based back up here in Scotland and only have a few weeks left. The clock is ticking. Iv only done 7 years so don't qualify for a pension unfortunately. At the age of 31 I should really know what I want to be doing with my life but I really don't.

Police or fire brigade? bud

2 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

Buskers have a union. :24_shocked:

::troll::

10 hours ago, John Findlay said:

There is a vast amount of ex servicemen out there, who are in positions of influence, shall we say, one of them will give you a job. Old Boys network bloody absolutely. Don't give up hope, go out there and grab it.

I think it's shocking the way we treat our ex military. Houses and jobs should be supplied for the Men and Women when they leave. Just my opinion.

4 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

How it works is, if your unhappy, suggest you take your skillset to another industry. If you stay, that is your decision alone.

What are you talking about. Wanting a pay rise doesn't mean folk are unhappy doing their job, they'd like to paid a fair wage.

1 hour ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Just retrain as a Bank CEO. Problem solved.

Jambof3tornado
1 hour ago, Lord Montpelier said:

Humza has been ripping the piss (and a decent salary) out of Scotland for a few years, he won't change. Never seen him defended by anyone, even the most fervent Nationalists on this forum. 

Correct!

Jambof3tornado
1 hour ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

You have every right to strike.  

Irony is in my RAF days I covered the firemans strike!! 

Never ever thought I'd see the day I had to strike. Incredible times.

1 minute ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Irony is in my RAF days I covered the firemans strike!! 

Never ever thought I'd see the day I had to strike. Incredible times.

Needs must . It’s the only thing we. An affect change by . ( striking ) 

Jambof3tornado
38 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I think it's shocking the way we treat our ex military. Houses and jobs should be supplied for the Men and Women when they leave. Just my opinion.

Nah,having left after 16 years I think they prepare you as well as can be. There should be a fall back plan in place for those that struggle to adapt,maybe it was easier for me being married,plus just as I left the wife qualified as a mental health staff nurse. It was a smoother transition than they make it out to be.

Obviously I knew I was heading for the ambo service so had a direction and purpose but I do understand why so many struggle. My RAF career involved working with explosives etc so not exactly easily transferable but plenty of my other skills made a difference.

7 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Nah,having left after 16 years I think they prepare you as well as can be. There should be a fall back plan in place for those that struggle to adapt,maybe it was easier for me being married,plus just as I left the wife qualified as a mental health staff nurse. It was a smoother transition than they make it out to be.

Obviously I knew I was heading for the ambo service so had a direction and purpose but I do understand why so many struggle. My RAF career involved working with explosives etc so not exactly easily transferable but plenty of my other skills made a difference.

Thank you for your service. 👍

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Buskers have a union. :24_shocked:

::troll::

We actually do 😂 kinda. 

nah I have a “proper”  job these days. 

Jambof3tornado
40 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Thank you for your service. 👍

It was fun to begin with haha, and I've a preserved pension sitting waiting for me to hit 60,not huge but its not one I paid anything into so its a big bonus. Given my retirement age for state pension is age 67, the RAF one is a bonus to be fair.

2 hours ago, Hmfc1965 said:

Teacher aye?

Indeed.

I got really close to the gathering of teachers at the parliament but went and ate my body weight in chicken wings with my sons instead.

:greggy:

It's going to depend what industry you're in. The level of support companies will be able to offer their employees will depend on what they need to buy to do business.

If you're in the financial services and the likes, there's a good chance of getting some help. If you're having to buy things to operate, construction, manufacturing and agriculture?

Much less likely. 

17 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

The more thay people realise that their job owes them nothing, and likewise they owe their job nothing (outside of the agreed contract both ways) the happier people would be, imo.

You work to live, and if you want more money to live with you can ask for it, or look elsewhere. I'd do step 1 first, then do step 2 as a preference.

Should it be different? Possibly/probably, but it's not so there's not much to be gained by trying to fight it.

Edited by Taffin

Shooter McGavin

I’d personally rather live in a world where teachers, transport workers, mail workers, nurses etc are paid a fair wage, that allows them to live comfortably and afford food for the massive contribution they make to my life and society in general.

I don’t understand how people have this perverse desire to see other people struggle and be worrying about their existence constantly.

Weird right wing s***hole this country is.

”I’m on benefits at the moment due to illness”

”Get a job you scrounging git!”

”I’m a nurse who’s working 50 hour weeks and relies on foodbanks”

”Aye well after your 12.5 hour shifts on an empty stomach with no breaks, maybe you should get off your a*** and study to find a better job you lazy git!”

16 hours ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Not up to date regards this but can I ask what you’s are being offered if you don’t mind? Was it 5%? 

Was the teachers 7% and NHS 5% 

No one wants to strike but good luck cause unless you’s strike they will offer you as little as possible 

36 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

I’d personally rather live in a world where teachers, transport workers, mail workers, nurses etc are paid a fair wage, that allows them to live comfortably and afford food for the massive contribution they make to my life and society in general.

I don’t understand how people have this perverse desire to see other people struggle and be worrying about their existence constantly.

”Aye well after your 12.5 hour shifts on an empty stomach with no breaks, maybe you should get off your a*** and study to find a better job you lazy git!”

Undoubtedly a lot do think like that, but equally some are just being realistic about the best way to get more money. If you're remunerated less than the market rate, then access the market to get more money elsewhere. You're more likely to get what you're after doing that. 

Some jobs just don't come with good salaries attached. Public sector jobs sadly for a large portion of that, we need society to realise the value those roles provide first and foremost to ensure paying them well is a high enough priority. How you change that? I'm not so sure.

There are always extreme scenarios and whilst nurses are undoubtedly completely overworked the average nurse gets 33k and a starting salary of 27k. It's really not how you're painting it above in regards to foodbanks etc imo. 

1 hour ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Lovely couple of made up scenarios to suit a pile of shite. 

Who are these people that have a desire to see others struggle ? I mean real people not the fictional ones in your head. 

What is weird is the frowned about attitude of asking people to better themselves or the situation they find themselves in. Of course it isn’t impossible for everyone but **** me we should encourage anyone to get a better job or education/qualifications which will improve their pay prospects. 

Things are tough at the moment, that doesn’t automatically mean staff are paid unfairly. Absolutely people should get a fair rise but some of the numbers getting chucked about are unsustainable unless they are willing to give a little back to their employers. A lot of people also really need to look at their outgoings especially in this must have world we live in these days. 

19 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

You seem to have assumed that I'm talking from a personal viewpoint. I like my job and am reasonably happy with my pay, even if I have had an effective pay cut due to the massive hike in inflation. I took the hump at you telling people to get get another job, not at your employer giving you a raise.

He's so Tory he doesn't even see it.

People like that can only see individuals - not earning enough? Get a better job. 

Completely unable to process the concept that a large percentage of people work for poverty wages in this country, and that it simply isn't possible for them all to get better jobs.

Who's going to do the shite, underpaid, jobs if that happens?

These people are ghouls man.

Shooter McGavin
44 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Lovely couple of made up scenarios to suit a pile of shite. 

Who are these people that have a desire to see others struggle ? I mean real people not the fictional ones in your head. 

What is weird is the frowned about attitude of asking people to better themselves or the situation they find themselves in. Of course it isn’t impossible for everyone but **** me we should encourage anyone to get a better job or education/qualifications which will improve their pay prospects. 

Things are tough at the moment, that doesn’t automatically mean staff are paid unfairly. Absolutely people should get a fair rise but some of the numbers getting chucked about are unsustainable unless they are willing to give a little back to their employers. A lot of people also really need to look at their outgoings especially in this must have world we live in these days. 

Can I ask what scenarios you believe I’ve made up?

Perhaps the people bemoaning and vilifying workers who are striking or are going on strike, right wing rags stirring up their moronic readers by calling Mick Lynch “Grinch” etc.

Okay, if every nurse, transport worker, mail worker etc got a “better job” or more education/qualifications, then who fills those vacant positions they’d be leaving? Do they get handed down to the next batch of people who are ready to get exploited?

Aye you’re right, times are tough and people are just being unreasonable with their salary demands, the money simply isn’t there….

Cough* Network Rail CEO annual salary of £588,000 before bonuses, Royal Mail CEO annual salary £596,000 before bonuses Cough*

But aye, there’s just no money to pay the workers a fair wage apparently 😂

Edited by Shooter McGavin

It doesn't sound like we'll be getting an awful lot this year upon fishing for a heads up on the annual review.  Disappointing,  but not a cause for upset for me.  The other employee I mentioned will be livid though.  Goodbye from him I guess.

The stupid thing is that they'll need to pay a new guy the same rate as they would pay the highly experienced,  skilled guy.  Same pay - nowhere near the same productivity / quality of work.  Plus the jeopardy of a succession of short term occupancy in the position.

The practicality is to give him a bit more.  Not an awful lot tbh.  Keep the skills,  experience,  productivity,  continuity.  

Otherwise astute people can be a bit thick sometimes.

2 hours ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Can I ask what scenarios you believe I’ve made up?

Perhaps the people bemoaning and vilifying workers who are striking or are going on strike, right wing rags stirring up their moronic readers by calling Mick Lynch “Grinch” etc.

Okay, if every nurse, transport worker, mail worker etc got a “better job” or more education/qualifications, then who fills those vacant positions they’d be leaving? Do they get handed down to the next batch of people who are ready to get exploited?

Aye you’re right, times are tough and people are just being unreasonable with their salary demands, the money simply isn’t there….

Cough* Network Rail CEO annual salary of £588,000 before bonuses, Royal Mail CEO annual salary £596,000 before bonuses Cough*

But aye, there’s just no money to pay the workers a fair wage apparently 😂

Say the RM CEO took a pay cut to 100k

You've now got £496k to distribute between c.150,000 employees. An extra couple of quid per annum is hardly going to make much difference to their situation is it?

You point in bold is very pertinent though and the real problem imo. That said (and I don't know the avg salary of a mail worker) the avg and starting salary for nurses, transport workers and teachers isn't bad. It's broadly in line with what I'm paid, and I don't live a glamorous life, but it's a good life.

Edited by Taffin