Doctor FinnBarr

Doctor FinnBarr

I worked throughout the pandemic and my company rewarded every employee with about £200 each.

Now with the cost of living so high they have given us £50 to our instore accounts this month, £125 next month and £50 January plus a 30% discount on "own brand" products til March. Everything helps I suppose but our Xmas dinner in the staff canteen has been cancelled as it'll cost too much!

Anyhow, any other employee getting help from employers?

• Replies 794
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• Nucky Thompson

• joondalupjambo

• JudyJudyJudy

I got about an 8.5% rise last year that I was surprised about.  Looking forward with mainly amusement to see what the company-wide rise will be this year.  I suspect it wont be more than 5%.  There's another employee who is counting on at least 10% or he's off.  The interesting thing is that he's a valuable employee who the company will be well aware of how problematic his departure would be.  Should be interesting to see if frugality gets the better of them.  I'm similar but have no intention of jumping ship.  It's way to nichey to give up.

1 minute ago, Victorian said:

I got about an 8.5% rise last year that I was surprised about.  Looking forward with mainly amusement to see what the company-wide rise will be this year.  I suspect it wont be more than 5%.  There's another employee who is counting on at least 10% or he's off.  The interesting thing is that he's a valuable employee who the company will be well aware of how problematic his departure would be.  Should be interesting to see if frugality gets the better of them.  I'm similar but have no intention of jumping ship.  It's way to nichey to give up.

I got a surprise 4.5% pay rise last week after my annual one in April only being 2%. If the next few months go well I’m promised around 8% in April. This is more to do with there being a skills shortage since lockdown finished and experienced skilled staff being rewarded fairly so they stay. Ironically wages across the industry are down for new people entering it. 

1 minute ago, Tazio said:

I got a surprise 4.5% pay rise last week after my annual one in April only being 2%. If the next few months go well I’m promised around 8% in April. This is more to do with there being a skills shortage since lockdown finished and experienced skilled staff being rewarded fairly so they stay. Ironically wages across the industry are down for new people entering it. 

Smart employers know the value of retaining skills and experience.  

I work for virgin media and they have given every employee earning under £35k basic wage, cost of living payments.

£400 in October, £400 in January, then £100 a month for 6 months. 

As pensioner, l have watched what l thought was a comfortable existence with about £500 excess every month to change to a deficit of at least £200 which does not include our LPG payment . There is no danger this is substantial in the long term. 

I leave the navy in December and I have no job lined up and no income after that. I did have something but it fell through and it's proper effed me. I'm really not looking forward to the new year :(

Malinga the Swinga

They have. I'm as cynical as next man but they've stepped up big time this year. Between now and next summer I reckon I'm in for almost 20% pay rise, which is pretty damn good.

It's a one off, I know they can't do again next year, but I do appreciate it this time round.

henrysmithsgloves
17 minutes ago, Negan said:

I leave the navy in December and I have no job lined up and no income after that. I did have something but it fell through and it's proper effed me. I'm really not looking forward to the new year :(

https://jointforcealba.co.uk/

Doctor FinnBarr
2 hours ago, Victorian said:

Smart employers know the value of retaining skills and experience.  

If my employer starts 10 tomorrow (in my depot) we'll be left with maybe 4 or 5 by Friday. Management have lost the plot.

PS, instore money has come from head office, nowt to do with local managers who are too busy promoting their Polish "bidey ins".

3 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

What is mate? You might need to expand yer answer a wee bit.

The support my employers have given me and my colleagues, obviously? 

Dennis Reynolds

Absolutely nothing which is why I'm off in the new year. It's a shame as I enjoy the work and have a great manager/team but there's better out there. They seem completely oblivious as to why staff retention is an issue in parts of the business.

Doctor FinnBarr
1 minute ago, the posh bit said:

The support my employers have given me and my colleagues, obviously? 

What support have they given you?

Captain Lithuania

3.5%. Not really happy with it. Understand some are even more unlucky and haven’t received anything. 

Been a definite noticeable increase in the last couple weeks at how expensive stuff is. 

The sad fact is even the good pay pay rises on here are nothing like the true cost of inflation. I work on very basic things to observe the increase in prices. More expensive things seems pretty constant in price, like a bottle of wine has increased a little bit. But cheaper things have increased more. As an example I buy a 2l bottle of Pepsi a week. It was £2 in the summer, it’s £2.40 now. Mr Kipling mini Battenberg's we’re about £1.40, they’re now over £2. Daft things but something I notice. 

henrysmithsgloves
Just now, Negan said:

Appreciate that mate, only problem is I was in the Warfare branch and I have accumulated absolutely no qualifications being in the Navy so I can't apply for 99% of these jobs :(

Can assist yourself I believe to gain experience, qualifications and life in civvy street. If not will point you in right direction. If your experience is movement of units/assets...think transport manager...see what I'm getting at,without getting into too much specifics...good luck mate 👍👍

I work for Lloyds Banking Group

£500 cost of living payment in Dec 

£1000 last Aug 

Pay rise of a minimum of 5% in April 23 with another pay rise of another 5% minimum in July 23.

Pretty chuffed with their help tbh 

Brought back working Saturdays to up my wages. No golf comps, so I play Sunday when it's playable. I'm bringing a very good wage but it's still a struggle. Possibly my fault, in part, but Diesel, gas and electric prices are a fecking scandal, which could be sorted at a drop of a hat, if they wanted. 

Edited by ri Alban

8 hours ago, Negan said:

You not done enough time to qualify for a pension straight off?

No idea where you live, but apply for anything and everything, even jobs you think you are not qualifies or suited for.

If you get one you don't like, stick with it for the money, until something better comes along, which it will.

If you are in Pompey the Forces Emoyment agency was in Tipner Road, if its still there, it is definitely worth paying them a visit.

4 hours ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

Can assist yourself I believe to gain experience, qualifications and life in civvy street. If not will point you in right direction. If your experience is movement of units/assets...think transport manager...see what I'm getting at,without getting into too much specifics...good luck mate 👍👍

Cheers mate will certainly look into it, send a few emails! 

27 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

You not done enough time to qualify for a pension straight off?

No idea where you live, but apply for anything and everything, even jobs you think you are not qualifies or suited for.

If you get one you don't like, stick with it for the money, until something better comes along, which it will.

If you are in Pompey the Forces Emoyment agency was in Tipner Road, if its still there, it is definitely worth paying them a visit.

I'm based back up here in Scotland and only have a few weeks left. The clock is ticking. Iv only done 7 years so don't qualify for a pension unfortunately. At the age of 31 I should really know what I want to be doing with my life but I really don't.

Edited by Negan

8 minutes ago, Negan said:

I'm based back up here in Scotland and only have a few weeks left. The clock is ticking. Iv only done 7 years so don't qualify for a pension unfortunately. At the age of 31 I should really know what I want to be doing with my life but I really don't.

There is a vast amount of ex servicemen out there, who are in positions of influence, shall we say, one of them will give you a job. Old Boys network bloody absolutely. Don't give up hope, go out there and grab it.

1 hour ago, the posh bit said:

Mind your own business. 

Maybe don't post about it on a public forum if you want people to mind their own business.

11 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

I worked throughout the pandemic and my company rewarded every employee with about £200 each.

Now with the cost of living so high they have given us £50 to our instore accounts this month, £125 next month and £50 January plus a 30% discount on "own brand" products til March. Everything helps I suppose but our Xmas dinner in the staff canteen has been cancelled as it'll cost too much!

Anyhow, any other employee getting help from employers?

Yer having a laugh, help, nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

We got a 9% pay rise iirc over 2 years 🤣. No other help though despite record profits. My wages were always used for my car and luxury things like nights away, holidays etc. Now I'm having to give the wife money for bills and holidays etc aren't going to happen.

6 hours ago, PTBCAL said:

I work for Lloyds Banking Group

£500 cost of living payment in Dec 

£1000 last Aug 

Pay rise of a minimum of 5% in April 23 with another pay rise of another 5% minimum in July 23.

Pretty chuffed with their help tbh 

The 5% in July isn’t a payrise - it’s converting part of your bonus entitlement (not guaranteed I know) into basic salary. 

Nope. We got a pay rise that coincided with the pandemic which had been fought tooth and nail for years, and got crucified by the public for it. Rumours that a further pay rise is being negotiated but I've not heard much about it or a time line for getting it.

I work for a government department. I don't know if that will surprise many or not that we've had **** all help.

The Hogfather
5 minutes ago, Locky said:

Nope. We got a pay rise that coincided with the pandemic which had been fought tooth and nail for years, and got crucified by the public for it. Rumours that a further pay rise is being negotiated but I've not heard much about it or a time line for getting it.

I work for a government department. I don't know if that will surprise many or not that we've had **** all help.

Similar here. Ended up with around 8.7% which will be backdated to April and that was only after strike action. Others will get a lower percentage due to the way the rise was structured. Apart from that, we've had **** all support beyond articles on the intranet about saving money.

15 hours ago, Jambomuzz said:

I work for virgin media and they have given every employee earning under £35k basic wage, cost of living payments.

£400 in October, £400 in January, then £100 a month for 6 months. 

Sky done the same but with 2x£1k payments to everyone up to the pay grade below me, rest of us so called higher earners free financial tips to help instead 🙄

Malinga the Swinga
8 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

Still on 2019's salary yet my employer continues to ask for more. It's not how it works is it?

How it works is, if your unhappy, suggest you take your skillset to another industry. If you stay, that is your decision alone.

15 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

How it works is, if your unhappy, suggest you take your skillset to another industry. If you stay, that is your decision alone.

Easy as that, aye? Want more money? Just stroll in to a new job in a different industry. Brilliant.

Union has rejected the pay deal at my job and ultimately the employer has come back and said that’s the best they will offer. So staff will continue striking I suppose. 

Malinga the Swinga
15 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Easy as that, aye? Want more money? Just stroll in to a new job in a different industry. Brilliant.

Never said it was easy. Alternative is sitting bumping your gums about life being up unfair.

If you aren't happy, take some responsibility on yourself and do something about it.