Doctor FinnBarr

3 minutes ago, Central Belt 1874 said:

Not that I eat it.. kids do, but we have just switched from Heinz tomato sauce £3.50 to Hellmans £1.25. 

Kids not bothered with the difference in taste. 

Always make homemade soup over tins. Price of tinned soup is just laughable.

Got the same one in my cupboard.  I can't taste the £2.25 difference either so it's staying 🤣

• Replies 794
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• Nucky Thompson

• joondalupjambo

• JudyJudyJudy

That thing you do
17 minutes ago, BlueRiver said:

Got the same one in my cupboard.  I can't taste the £2.25 difference either so it's staying 🤣

My wife makes all our sauces (salsas)by hand by cooking tomato onion garlic in a pan and then blending it. 100% better than either of those processed options.

Edited by That thing you do

6 minutes ago, That thing you do said:

My wife makes all our sauces (salsas)by hand by cooking tomato onion garlic in a pan and then blending it. 100% better than either of those processed options.

That all it takes? I've been meaning to give it a bash for ages but never do. 

Definitely will in fact. Maybe throw a chilli in as well! 

That thing you do
4 minutes ago, BlueRiver said:

That all it takes? I've been meaning to give it a bash for ages but never do. 

Definitely will in fact. Maybe throw a chilli in as well! 

It is. She also adds chiles as well on occasion. You can put other veggies in as well as well as a bit of vinegar.

Experiment and enjoy!

1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

It's the price of cans of soup that I can't get my head around, almost doubled.

I've had a soup maker for ages and it's far cheaper making your own tomato soup

A couple of tins of chopped tomatoes, a ham stock cube and half a carton of fresh cream added at the end

Lovely 

We switched from Heinz to shops own brand yonks ago, but even that is going up in price, 60p-65p compared to Heinz at £1 and more or £1.40 out of my local co-op........£1.40 for a tin of soup, not a chance of me ever paying that.

In fact don't buy any Heinz products anymore, be that beans, ketchup or whatever, they are all too expensive nowadays.

1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

We switched from Heinz to shops own brand yonks ago, but even that is going up in price, 60p-65p compared to Heinz at £1 and more or £1.40 out of my local co-op........£1.40 for a tin of soup, not a chance of me ever paying that.

In fact don't buy any Heinz products anymore, be that beans, ketchup or whatever, they are all too expensive nowadays.

Yup. I've moved away from branded beans aswell.

The Tesco own ones for like 45p odd aren't bad. Better than spending well over double for the brand.

Nucky Thompson
22 minutes ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Yup. I've moved away from branded beans aswell.

The Tesco own ones for like 45p odd aren't bad. Better than spending well over double for the brand.

Shop own brands have increased the most

The supermarkets where prices are rising the most revealed - and how to find the best deals | The Sun

The price increases in Tesco are ridiculous. 

I reckon when my fixed rate mortgage ends my life will be £6-700 a month more expensive than it used to be, just to do the same things (+£300 on mortgage is the estimate, +£150 on gas and electric is already in place, plus food, petrol etc.). 

What a time to be alive😀

Just hope interest rate calms down a bit and fuel too. 

Hannibal Lecter
On 06/12/2022 at 19:38, ArcticJambo said:

Saw unleaded at £1.49.9 today, Esso, north end of Arbroath.

Where I am unleaded has been at 147.9p for the last few days at the local Esso station. They have consistently been lower than anywhere else locally for months, up until this morning they were 10p a lite cheaper than Asda who have now lowered to 151.9p, still 4p a litre dearer.

2 minutes ago, Hannibal Lecter said:

Where I am unleaded has been at 147.9p for the last few days at the local Esso station. They have consistently been lower than anywhere else locally for months, up until this morning they were 10p a lite cheaper than Asda who have now lowered to 151.9p, still 4p a litre dearer.

These big supermarkets like Asda and Tesco are a disgrace althought the Morrisons on the A90 north out of Dundee has consitently been lower than anything I've seen at Asda or Tesco over the past months. Ripping the piss!

The Mighty Thor
9 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

Is Carlisle on mainland europe?

I've genuinely no idea of the point you're not making. 

The farmers greeting about the current situation are harvesting the crop of their own stupidity or, if you were being charitable, gullibility. 

The UKs food security rests in the hands of those same people. 

That's going to end well. 

Just now, The Mighty Thor said:

I've genuinely no idea of the point you're not making. 

The farmers greeting about the current situation are harvesting the crop of their own stupidity or, if you were being charitable, gullibility. 

The UKs food security rests in the hands of those same people. 

That's going to end well. 

You replied to a comment about poultry feed coming from europe, most of the egg farms around here buy their feed from a mill in Carlise not europe.

The Mighty Thor
6 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

You replied to a comment about poultry feed coming from europe, most of the egg farms around here buy their feed from a mill in Carlise not europe.

That's fantastic for the hens, farmers and good burghers of Carlisle.

I take it all the raw ingredients for said feed, the parts and materials to service the mill and the bags/sacks etc all come from Carlisle and not Europe?

Shouldn't we be turning that around and becoming more self-reliant, no? Isn't hat what the racists from Sunderland voted for?

1 minute ago, The Mighty Thor said:

That's fantastic for the hens, farmers and good burghers of Carlisle.

I take it all the raw ingredients for said feed, the parts and materials to service the mill and the bags/sacks etc all come from Carlisle and not Europe?

The wheat is mostly sourced from the UK, a lot fish meal comes from South America, Maize from the UK and USA, the feed comes in bulk and blown into hoppers on site so no bags or sacks needed.

Doctor FinnBarr
2 hours ago, ArcticJambo said:

Shouldn't we be turning that around and becoming more self-reliant, no? Isn't hat what the racists from Sunderland voted for?

What did they vote for?

The Mighty Thor
8 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

The wheat is mostly sourced from the UK, a lot fish meal comes from South America, Maize from the UK and USA, the feed comes in bulk and blown into hoppers on site so no bags or sacks needed.

Sound. 

So your 'made in Carlisle' chicken feed is really an ensemble of goods from the 4 corners and therefore exposed to the self imposed economic sanctions? 

We got there in the end 👍

1 hour ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Sound. 

So your 'made in Carlisle' chicken feed is really an ensemble of goods from the 4 corners and therefore exposed to the self imposed economic sanctions? 

We got there in the end 👍

No, it's made in Carlisle from mostly UK sourced produce, and not from Europe as you alluded to, you could see that from my post.

I knew you'd get ther in the end👍

Nucky Thompson

Got my bill for 5th November to 5th December.

£165 electricity and £50 gas.

I use gas for heating, hot water and cooker hobs and everything else is electricity.

I've hardly had the heating on so the gas is fair enough, but what the feck am I doing with all the electricity?

I'm always making sure that I turn things off when I'm not in the room etc

The Mighty Thor
1 hour ago, Dawnrazor said:

No, it's made in Carlisle from mostly UK sourced produce, and not from Europe as you alluded to, you could see that from my post.

I knew you'd get ther in the end👍

Meanwhile you actually listed the carlisle based ingredients from the Cumbrian parishes of er.......... America and South America?

So your mostly right and mostly wrong. 

When you see it you'll see it. 

23 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Meanwhile you actually listed the carlisle based ingredients from the Cumbrian parishes of er.......... America and South America?

So your mostly right and mostly wrong. 

When you see it you'll see it. 

You really don't like being wrong do you🤣

I said the feed is made in Carlisle because that's where it's made, I listed ingredients used to make the feed, I said "mostly from the UK". Wheat is grown in the UK and is used in the feed, Maize is grown in the UK and used in the feed, fish meal can come from South America but can also come from Scotland and Ireland and is used in the feed. The UK still farms and produces food.

You'll see it when you see it👍

Nucky Thompson
1 minute ago, Dawnrazor said:

I said the feed is made in Carlisle because that's where it's made, I listed ingredients used to make the feed, I said "mostly from the UK". Wheat is grown in the UK and is used in the feed, Maize is grown in the UK and used in the feed, fish meal can come from South America but can also come from Scotland and Ireland and is used in the feed. The UK still farms and produces food.

There's no point mate. Like you say he's never wrong :biggrin2:

Whit aboot the European bags and Scoatish power that rur stealing likesy 

joondalupjambo
1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I use gas for heating, hot water and cooker hobs and everything else is electricity.

I've hardly had the heating on so the gas is fair enough, but what the feck am I doing with all the electricity?

Actual readings or an estimated bill, sure it will be the former but just in case.

We are the same hardly used gas but leccy much higher.  Mind you were are at home all day, most days.  However we were only £62 ex vat for it plus the standing charges so about £70 in total.

Your cost does seem pretty high if everything is getting switched off.  If you have a smart meter worth while having a look at that to see when the costs are highest during the day and check the house and devices for what is making it tick over.  Assuming you have a smart meter.

You have not left the jacuzzi on have you😂😂👍

Edited by joondalupjambo

7 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

How can he be wrong when’s he’s always right ? Thor way or the highway. You’ll see it when you see it, although I think you’ve just seen it  😂

3 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Aye, I should've twigged he was taking shite when he thought egg farms have their feed delivered in bags or sacks🤣🤣

Nucky Thompson
6 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

Actual readings or an estimated bill, sure it will be the former but just in case.

We are the same hardly used gas but leccy much higher.  Mind you were are at home all day, most days.

That's the actual readings.

My work is kind of seasonal, so I'll be at home a bit more in the Winter.

Was looking at the smart meter this morning and it went from 9p an hour to £3.12 when the wife jumped in the shower.

The Mighty Thor

26 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

You're almost there. Made in Carlisle from ingredients from various places, other than Carlisle.

21 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Whit aboot the European bags and Scoatish power that rur stealing likesy 

Nucky when compared to the utter tam kite you post, then aye i'm seldom wrong. 

21 minutes ago, Dazo said:

How can he be wrong when’s he’s always right ? Thor way or the highway. You’ll see it when you see it, although I think you’ve just seen it  😂

Morning Dazo!

Nothing original for me to dissemble today?

You're almost there. Made in Carlisle from ingredients from various places, other than Carlisle......

So made in Carlise then, well done, I knew you'd get there in the end👍

joondalupjambo
17 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

That's the actual readings.

My work is kind of seasonal, so I'll be at home a bit more in the Winter.

Was looking at the smart meter this morning and it went from 9p an hour to £3.12 when the wife jumped in the shower.

Yeah that is about right and as long as it is a quick shower then it will be not that much.  Problem is if you have a leccy leak you will need to just keep randomly checking.  Good luck.

4 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

You're almost there. Made in Carlisle from ingredients from various places, other than Carlisle.

Nucky when compared to the utter tam kite you post, then aye i'm seldom wrong. 

Morning Dazo!

Nothing original for me to dissemble today?

Snow stopped play Thor, slow morning. 

Just now, Dazo said:

Snow stopped play Thor, slow morning. 

Unbelievable isn't he, has a 'mare on a subject he obviously knows nothing about (egg fams - feed - bags and sacks!!) knows fine well he's got things wrong but doesn't have the sense to learn a lesson or at least stop replying and making a bigger erse of himself!!! Thinks nothing is grown around a feed mill by farmers to supply the mill so they can make feed!!!!

That thing you do
32 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

We are the same hardly used gas but leccy much higher.  Mind you were are at home all day, most days.  However we were only £62 ex vat for it plus the standing charges so about £70 in total.

Your cost does seem pretty high if everything is getting switched off.  If you have a smart meter worth while having a look at that to see when the costs are highest during the day and check the house and devices for what is making it tick over.  Assuming you have a smart meter.

You have not left the jacuzzi on have you😂😂👍

We have a jacuzzi

Love Mexican bills. £23 a month even with AC and soothing bubbles.

8 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

Yeah that is about right and as long as it is a quick shower then it will be not that much.  Problem is if you have a leccy leak you will need to just keep randomly checking.  Good luck.

Over £3 to have a shower ? No way ? 

The Mighty Thor
1 minute ago, Dawnrazor said:

Unbelievable isn't he, has a 'mare on a subject he obviously knows nothing about (egg fams - feed - bags and sacks!!) knows fine well he's got things wrong but doesn't have the sense to learn a lesson or at least stop replying and making a bigger erse of himself!!! Thinks nothing is grown around a feed mill by farmers to supply the mill so they can make feed!!!!

'He' doesn't need to know anything about egg farms or chicken feed. 'He' understands how 21st century manufacturing & global supply chains work. 

'He' knows fine well that not all the ingredients for the chicken feed will come from around the mill, hence the feed producer's exposure to the economic sanctions imposed by Brexit on the materials and ingredients that don't come from 'around the mill'.

3 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Thor is entrenched and blinded by hatred. Basically the independence hallmark. Makes a lot of good points though but never concedes an inch and would rather insult then admit he’s wrong. Quite endearing really. 😊

'He' doesn't need to know anything about egg farms or chicken feed. 'He' understands how 21st century manufacturing & global supply chains work. 

'He' knows fine well that not all the ingredients for the chicken feed will come from around the mill, hence the feed producer's exposure to the economic sanctions imposed by Brexit on the materials and ingredients that don't come from 'around the mill'.

He does need to know about egg farms and feed or else he makes a tit of himself thinking feed for them comes in bags.

He pretends he knows about "manufacturing and global supplies" but doesn't know farmers grow stuff to supply people who run other businesses. 

He tried to say the my local egg farms relies totally on "Europe" for feed ingredients and "bags and sacks" but when pointed out that they don't throws his toys out of his pram and starts twisting words and muddying the waters to try and hide the fact he's made a tit of himself and HATES  being wrong.

When you're in a hole Thor, stop digging👍

8 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Thor is entrenched and blinded by hatred. Basically the independence hallmark. Makes a lot of good points though but never concedes an inch and would rather insult then admit he’s wrong. Quite endearing really. 😊

He does make some decent points at times, but he's come unstuck on agricultural points as he know feck all about it, see above, he could do with learning a bit about, not from Google but from closer to the ground, he won't come over as a clown as much on the subject then.

2 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

He does make some decent points at times, but he's come unstuck on agricultural points as he know feck all about it, see above, he could do with learning a bit about, not from Google but from closer to the ground, he won't come over as a clown as much on the subject then.

Absolutely. As an expert in this sometimes it’s just better to back out quietly hoping no one noticed you’re out your depth. 😊

20 minutes ago, Dazo said:

You’re aren’t in the shower for a hour so no not £3 a shower. 😂

Yes he never concedes when he makes an error , unlike me , and often 😂

The Mighty Thor
7 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

He does need to know about egg farms and feed or else he makes a tit of himself thinking feed for them comes in bags.

He pretends he knows about "manufacturing and global supplies" but doesn't know farmers grow stuff to supply people who run other businesses. 

He tried to say the my local egg farms relies totally on "Europe" for feed ingredients and "bags and sacks" but when pointed out that they don't throws his toys out of his pram and starts twisting words and muddying the waters to try and hide the fact he's made a tit of himself and HATES  being wrong.

When you're in a hole Thor, stop digging👍

There's a lot of reaching in that post. A hell of a lot. 

6 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Absolutely. As an expert in this sometimes it’s just better to back out quietly hoping no one noticed you’re out your depth. 😊

That’s a great strategy 😂

There's a lot of reaching in that post. A hell of a lot. 

Well if anyone would know about "reaching" in a post Thor it would be you, now I'll leave you to nurse your bruised ego, I've obviously hit a nerve👍

2 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Detached, semi-detached, terraced or flat?

Detached? It's you. Semi, terraced or flat, chap your neighbours door, if he/she answers scantily clad, then they've tapped into your supply...:D

Electricity, £70 more than me.

The Mighty Thor
5 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Well if anyone would know about "reaching" in a post Thor it would be you, now I'll leave you to nurse your bruised ego, I've obviously hit a nerve👍

Your knowledge of chicken pellets exceeds your knowledge of what bruises an ego or hits a nerve. 👍

Seen this a couple of weeks back, if there's not that much of a difference in taste, then save some cash and grab the cheaper stuff...