Doctor FinnBarr

The supermarkets are totally at it.

I used to buy this product when it was (regularly) on offer for £4.50.

How on earth is it now £8.45, and who in their right mind would stump up that?

That's Asda Price 👏👏.

Screenshot_20230323_022613_Gallery.jpg

• Replies 794
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• Nucky Thompson

• joondalupjambo

• JudyJudyJudy

5 hours ago, Wee Mikey said:

The supermarkets are totally at it.

I used to buy this product when it was (regularly) on offer for £4.50.

How on earth is it now £8.45, and who in their right mind would stump up that?

That's Asda Price 👏👏.

Screenshot_20230323_022613_Gallery.jpg

Yep…

block of cathedral cheese in Tesco over a fiver. Lurpak over a fiver. 

absolutely mental how they get away with it! 

Portable Badger

Was running low on dishwasher tablets so I put them them on my messages for the next time I was at Sainsbury’s.

While there I noticed a pack of “House 24/7 Dishwasher Tablets x30” for £1-49. I looked round all the usual Fairy, Finish, Ecover, Own Brand products and couldn’t believe I had been paying 23.5p per tablet for my usual ones.  Some wee as high as 42p per tablet. So at 5p per tablet for these megacheap tablets I decided I would try a box.

They have been brilliant    - I have not noticed any difference in cleaning performance. My caveat is that I only have a half-load dishwasher (half the standard size dishwasher) but for me me they have worked a treat and would recommend them.

ArcticJambo
46 minutes ago, speaker said:

Yep…

£5.50 in Asda! They've lost some of their usual suppliers, and have lately been offering their own brand budget version at £4,80 I believe, tastes like rubber, sigh! Last Friday I bit the bullet and got the mature Everyday Essentials (at 5.50) - finally a cheese with a proper taste!  Still £1.70 more expensive, in less than 6 months! They're all at it.

Edited by ArcticJambo

The Real Maroonblood
6 minutes ago, Portable Badger said:

Was running low on dishwasher tablets so I put them them on my messages for the next time I was at Sainsbury’s.

While there I noticed a pack of “House 24/7 Dishwasher Tablets x30” for £1-49. I looked round all the usual Fairy, Finish, Ecover, Own Brand products and couldn’t believe I had been paying 23.5p per tablet for my usual ones.  Some wee as high as 42p per tablet. So at 5p per tablet for these megacheap tablets I decided I would try a box.

They have been brilliant    - I have not noticed any difference in cleaning performance. My caveat is that I only have a half-load dishwasher (half the standard size dishwasher) but for me me they have worked a treat and would recommend them.

We usually buy them when the branded was are on offer.

Obviously worth trying their own brand.

I don’t how some people survive with the general costs rocketing.

ArcticJambo
14 minutes ago, Portable Badger said:

Been on the Asda cheepos for yrs, they work grand! The brands need brought down!

Portable Badger
2 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

Been on the Asda cheepos for yrs, they work grand! The brands need brought down!

👍🏻

7 hours ago, Wee Mikey said:

I'm not sure if cheesy town/city marketing slogans are still a thing ... you know; 'Glasgow's miles better' (with its wee smiles better smiley), or the banal 'Count Me Ed(IN)burgh', but by far the best was:-

'What's it Called? Cumbernauld'

They even had telly adverts.

Ha! Aye I remember it well Mikey. I still say it when the opportunity arises. Most folk have no idea what I’m on about when I do 😂

Never bought branded products unless they where massively discounted for years. The supermarket brands are absolutely fine and often you wouldn’t taste the difference if you blind tested them. 

For example, Aldi cornflakes cost 80p. Kellogg’s are nearly £4. You telling me there is £3.20 in difference for toasted corn? 😂

Tea bags - aldis own make £1.40 for 160 tea bags. Tetley where triple that. 

Heinze ketchup was £4.90 :rofl: scandalous. Over £4 more than aldis own brand. 

it is a no brainier. Even if it doesn’t taste as good the difference in price and taste simply doesn’t add up to what extra your paying. 

I

Edited by AlimOzturk

ArcticJambo

Tea (bags) are probably one of the few branded items I actually purchase. Has to be Tetley.

1 minute ago, ArcticJambo said:

Tea (bags) are probably one of the few branded items I actually purchase. Has to be Tetley.

I do prefer it but I can’t justify the price tag when there is a perfectly decent alternative sitting right next to costing 3/4 times less. 

Branded products might be nailing there own coffins here with their greed. 

Unknown user
5 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Never bought branded products unless they where massively discounted for years. The supermarket brands are absolutely fine and often you wouldn’t taste the difference if you blind tested them. 

For example, Aldi cornflakes cost 80p. Kellogg’s are nearly £4. You telling me there is £3.20 in difference for toasted corn? 😂

Tea bags - aldis own make £1.40 for 160 tea bags. Tetley where triple that. 

Heinze ketchup was £4.90 :rofl: scandalous. Over £4 more than aldis own brand. 

it is a no brainier. Even if it doesn’t taste as good the difference in price and taste simply doesn’t add up to what extra your paying. 

I

And this is why I feel zero guilt about my buckshee Scotland top. £14 to arrive at my door with someone still making money to feed their family.

**** Adidas, how can they possibly justify the other £76?

I also hadn't realised there were only 10,000 official ones made and those have sold out, so it turns out it doesn't even affect sales.

ArcticJambo
3 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

I do prefer it but I can’t justify the price tag when there is a perfectly decent alternative sitting right next to costing 3/4 times less. 

Branded products might be nailing there own coffins here with their greed. 

I hear you but when I break it down over 500 odd bags I'm not fussed over pennies per cup. In my head anyway.

Well, hopefully there's more folks out there that start bringing along a nail to leave beside overpriced packets by companies like Kelloggs, or whomever owns them!

Edited by ArcticJambo

4 minutes ago, Smithee said:

And this is why I feel zero guilt about my buckshee Scotland top. £14 to arrive at my door with someone still making money to feed their family.

I also hadn't realised there were only 10,000 official ones made and those have sold out, so it turns out it doesn't even affect sales.

Wait..a Scotland top is costing £90 😱that’s ****ing outrageous. I get all my football tops from a fake Chinese outlet  (hearts tops excluded obvs) online.  Like you say zero guilt. 

Edited by AlimOzturk

Unknown user
1 minute ago, AlimOzturk said:

Wait..a Scotland top is costing £90 😱that’s ****ing outrageous.

This with a wee coin and whisky miniature, £150!

405ace24d8f43c4eb27705e49446cdb78441a9ac.jpg.786fcddfc91bda9e75b75a4a6e3cabd6.jpg

3 hours ago, speaker said:

Yep…

We're all beginning to sound like auld wifies, so we are ... but with good reason!

A German chum was over recently and he spied the cost of bog-roll. He was so flummoxed that it became a topic of conversation in the pub. He simply couldn't believe it.

My mate who travels abroad regularly for work says that the UK is known as 'Treasure Island'. Little wonder. I'm well aware of different economies and had much fun getting 60 pence beers in Prague not so long ago, but I'm only just back from Madeira - i.e. Portugal - whereby I was astonished when stopping off at a local cafe and getting charged €3.75 for a coffee, a bottle of beer and a cheese & ham toastie. Meanwhile here, Costa charge £4.80 for a bleedin' cappucino! At another cafe-cum-bakers we got a (large) gin & tonic, a bottle of orange juice, a huge slice of tuna quiche, a scrummy home-made wedge of some local sweet delicacy plus a substantial freshly made loaf of bread for less than €10.

Cost of living crisis indeed, but we just seem to put up with it.

periodictabledancer
2 hours ago, Smithee said:

My lad has has bought a replica 1960s Scotland jersey at a fraction of the price Adidas are charging.

I was in Lisbon a couple of weeks ago : A Sporting shirt is 95 Euros. I don't know how the average Potuguese can afford that. 

il Duce McTarkin
2 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

Spending money on cheap alternatives that'll lie at the back of the cupboard because they taste shite and nobody ikes them is a false economy imo.

Edited by Dirk McTarkin

il Duce McTarkin
15 minutes ago, Dirk McTarkin said:

Spending money on cheap hookers that'll lie beneath the back of the patio because they taste shite and nobody likes them is a false economy imo.

7 minutes ago, jonesy said:

:indeed:

:indeed:

4 hours ago, Portable Badger said:

My solution was to perfect my hand-washing technique and haven't used the dishwasher since last October. It's part & parcel of sticking 2 fingers up to Scottish Power and treating their zany prices as a challenge.

Not been on to the associated central heating thread for a while, but I've gone all winter without it being on even once and managed to (with the government £66/month discount) keep my gas & leccy bills at circa £13/month.

It's the only way to be able to do other things like go to away matches (oan the bus using my pass, needless to say).

One small pot of water boiled on the gas hob & a splash of Fairy Liquid does a whole day's dishes nae bother. Rinse with cold water. Been using the dishwasher as a mega drying rack. 😀

My gal calls me her Domestic Deity.

13 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Can remember maybe 40 years ago now that petrol stations in cities were always much cheaper than in the sticks.

Aye, indeed. But, the petrol stations in the sticks gave personal service to the needy traveller.

There's a running-gag BBC Alba FUNC sketch that brings back memories:-

31 minutes ago, Wee Mikey said:

My solution was to perfect my hand-washing technique and haven't used the dishwasher since last October. It's part & parcel of sticking 2 fingers up to Scottish Power and treating their zany prices as a challenge.

Not been on to the associated central heating thread for a while, but I've gone all winter without it being on even once and managed to (with the government £66/month discount) keep my gas & leccy bills at circa £13/month.

It's the only way to be able to do other things like go to away matches (oan the bus using my pass, needless to say).

One small pot of water boiled on the gas hob & a splash of Fairy Liquid does a whole day's dishes nae bother. Rinse with cold water. Been using the dishwasher as a mega drying rack. 😀

£13 a month?? Thats wild. 

11 minutes ago, Jambomuzz said:

44 minutes ago, Wee Mikey said:

How can you go all winter without any heating on? 

18 minutes ago, theshed said:

Canaries for the last 6...

3 minutes ago, Jambomuzz said:

£13 a month?? Thats wild. 

Child of the 60's. Grew up in virtual poverty in a damp 1 bedroom hovel down Piersfield way and we were always being told to switch off lights etc.

That kind of up-bringing gives a person steel, so it does! 🤣

The rag & bone man coming around like something out of Steptoe & Son, and only one family in the entire street who owned a car are abiding memories!

Shifting the mattress into the living room, and having a decent duvet plus a hot babe to cuddle has been my 'central heating' this winter.

Funnily enough, it's been a 'balmy' 16 to 18 degrees with nae heating on. But, I've made good use of solar gain by using my noodle.

22 minutes ago, theshed said:

By being resourceful, of course. 😎

25 minutes ago, OBE said:

Canaries for the last 6...

I wish!!!

Madeira for only one week; but it was blissful being able to exist in 20⁰s with a cooling sea breeze.

Being an auld retired git has certain advantages.

Mind you, I was temporarily grumpy about missing the away trip to Aberdeen. But, all things considered, I won out BIG time ... and a fellow Jambo got my ticket for free and sufferred on my behalf.

Whilst the faithful Jambos were suffering in the Granite City, I was here ... but I have my ticket for Rugby Park and am hoping for a glorious victory.

❤️❤️G❤️

Screenshot_20230323_144503_Gallery.jpg

Edited by Wee Mikey

3 minutes ago, Wee Mikey said:

I wish!!!

Madeira for only one week; but it was blissfull being able to exist in 20⁰s with a cooling sea breeze.

Being an auld retired git has certain advantages.

Mind you, I was temporarily grumpy about missing the away trip to Aberdeen. But, all things considered, I won out BIG time ... and a fellow Jambo got my ticket for free and sufferred on my behalf.

Whilst the faithful Jambos were suffering in the Granite City, I was here ... but I have my ticket for Rugby Park and am hoping for a glorious victory.

❤️❤️G❤️

Screenshot_20230323_144503_Gallery.jpg

Good for you...:thumb:

57 minutes ago, theshed said:

By being stoic. I'm a total wimp, by the way, but I have fortitude ... I like to term it 'Fiftitide' ... think of it as a sort of turbo-charged 'fortitude'. Mind you, at my age, I should copyright the term 'sixtitude'. 😎

Edited by Wee Mikey

Jambo-Jimbo
1 hour ago, Wee Mikey said:

The rag & bone man coming around like something out of Steptoe & Son, and only one family in the entire street who owned a car are abiding memories!

Indeed it was, right down to the horse & cart. :laugh:

Need to try and remember to mention the 'Rag & Bone Man' next time I see the Grandkids, they won't have a clue WTF I'm talking about, mind VHS video tapes had them looking at me like I was talking in a foreign language.

2 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Indeed it was, right down to the horse & cart. :laugh:

Need to try and remember to mention the 'Rag & Bone Man' next time I see the Grandkids, they won't have a clue WTF I'm talking about, mind VHS video tapes had them looking at me like I was talking in a foreign language.

The rag & bone man used to collect any old clothes & what-not in exchange for a balloon on a stick. 😀

Anyhoo, I have some fantastic genuine hard-copy promo material for VHS stuff in my archives which would make your grandkids think that you were winding them up, and well remember hiring from Granada.

I even remember circa '84 getting a VHS repair man to come and do maintenance from the shop in Peebles!

Here's an example of what tourists used to cart around on holiday (the smart-phone generation would be non-plussed)...

And here's an advert from when families really did rent their colour sets from Granada:-

Edited by Wee Mikey

Jambo-Jimbo
12 minutes ago, Wee Mikey said:

The rag & bone man used to collect any old clothes & what-not in exchange for a balloon on a stick. 😀

Anyhoo, I have some fantastic genuine hard-copy promo material for VHS stuff in my archives which would make your grandkids think that you were winding them up, and well remember hiring from Granada.

I even remember circa '84 getting a VHS repair man to come and do maintenance from the shop in Peebles!

Here's an example of what tourists used to cart around on holiday (the smart-phone generation would be non-plussed)...

And here's an advert from when families really did rent their colour sets from Granada:-

Slot TV from British Relay was ours.

Shop in Peebles, can't remember the name, but was the shop painted light blue, around about half-way along the right hand side on the high street (going towards the main church at the end of the high street) that used to be an electronic shop.

joondalupjambo
25 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Shop in Peebles, can't remember the name, but was the shop painted light blue, around about half-way along the right hand side on the high street (going towards the main church at the end of the high street) that used to be an electronic shop.

My mum was manageress of the British Relay shop that was opposite the Odeon in Edinburgh way back when.  Slot TV's and pay as you go rental was the way back then.  Folk used to come into her shop each week with their rental books, get them stamped and pay the weekly fee.  My treat was to work with her on a Saturday then head over to the pictures when she shut the shop for the day, happy times.

Edited by joondalupjambo

25 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

R Edwards? His brother had a shop in Penicuik.

1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Remember Veitch's? It was like a mini version of Grace Bros. from 'Are You Being Served'. The sort of place where they'd measure you up and enquire as to 'which way do you hang, sir'? 🤣

Edited by Wee Mikey

ArcticJambo
21 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Got diesel for 1.49 a litre at Costco

Shell garage in Galashiels on the Peebles Road was 149.9 diesel and 143.9 for unleaded when I filled up this afternoon.

mrmarkus1981_1

£1.64 a litre in Shell Haddington yesterday. Filled up on my way home, thankfully I don't need to go into the office 5 days a week or my diesel would be at least £400 a month!!!

10 hours ago, ArcticJambo said:

Shell garage in Galashiels on the Peebles Road was 149.9 diesel and 143.9 for unleaded when I filled up this afternoon.

Shell are generally 1.66 or there about in Edinburgh, so I’d like to hear the reasoning for that difference. 

The Mighty Thor
16 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Got diesel for 1.49 a litre at Costco

You feel like you've won a watch 😂

It's still overpriced but hey 1.49 is better than 1.64 at my local Asda

2 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Times are that tough even my money plant died this week. 

Many folk like me, have worked hard to get into a good income, then every time you get yourself happy, shit like this come about and puts you back to square one. Sometimes I think to masel, what's the point.

Jambo-Jimbo
16 hours ago, ArcticJambo said:

That garage was cheaper than Asda was a while back, it was telling as there was very few people at Asda but always plenty at the Shell garage, until Asda lower their prices.

25 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

You feel like you've won a watch 😂

It's still overpriced but hey 1.49 is better than 1.64 at my local Asda

Costco is premium diesel as well ,Shell at seafield was 1.959 for premium recently

Jambo-Jimbo
5 hours ago, Dazo said:

Shell are generally 1.66 or there about in Edinburgh, so I’d like to hear the reasoning for that difference. 

The cost of living in the city is higher to start with, but so are the wages more often than not, that then fuels higher price increases and round and round we go.

Wasn't always the case, I can remember it being the other way round and plenty of people would fill up in Edinburgh then go home to the Borders.

I can remember the garages which we would often fill up at, the garage at Mortonhall Crematorium, the other one out by Hillend, they were always way significantly cheaper than out our way.

Jambo-Jimbo
22 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Many folk like me, have worked hard to get into a good income, then every time you get yourself happy, shit like this come about and puts you back to square one. Sometimes I think to masel, what's the point.

Yip, been there quite a few times myself, just when you seem to be getting on, something happens often not your fault either which knocks you back down again.

And everytime I just pick myself up dust myself down and carry on, refusing ever to be beaten.

46 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

The cost of living in the city is higher to start with, but so are the wages more often than not, that then fuels higher price increases and round and round we go.

Wasn't always the case, I can remember it being the other way round and plenty of people would fill up in Edinburgh then go home to the Borders.

I can remember the garages which we would often fill up at, the garage at Mortonhall Crematorium, the other one out by Hillend, they were always way significantly cheaper than out our way.

I doubt those things impact the price difference between 2 shell garages to be honest or they always would have. 

Yip, been there quite a few times myself, just when you seem to be getting on, something happens often not your fault either which knocks you back down again.

And everytime I just pick myself up dust myself down and carry on, refusing ever to be beaten.

It's soul destroying at times.

Wasn't even that long ago!  I mind when I was wee, my parents would always fill the car up in Edinburgh when we were up visiting my grandparents, because the cost of petrol in the Borders was extortionate* in comparison.

*Late 90's, early 00's, so what, around 75p a litre was extortionate.  Sigh...