Doctor FinnBarr

9 minutes ago, Masonic said:

nae good

there is some places u can help such as welfare fund from ur local council or the eat well £30 vouchers i also understand there are charities that can give £50 towards energy if yours is about to run out.

I believe he is seeing a benefits advisor from the citizens advice. I have told him he needs to claim everything he is entitled to and not feel a single ounce of remorse doing so. 

His problem and it would be the same for myself, is he has never had to go through this before. Always worked. 

I don’t even think he has a chance to grieve the poor guy. 

• Replies 794
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• Nucky Thompson

• joondalupjambo

• JudyJudyJudy

1 minute ago, AlimOzturk said:

I believe he is seeing a benefits advisor from the citizens advice. I have told him he needs to claim everything he is entitled to and not feel a single ounce of remorse doing so. 

His problem and it would be the same for myself, is he has never had to go through this before. Always worked. 

if he can get a welfare rights advisor they can do most of it for him

The Real Maroonblood
17 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

It is brutal. He is understandably suffering depression and pretty much living a day to day existence. No future planning, no ability to change his current situation by working until the the youngest goes to nursery full

time next year. By that point he will be able to hopefully get back to some semblance of  comfort by working. 

This nonsense spewed that people

on benefits are somehow living some sort of grandiose life above those who work is dangerously false. It is a tactic spewed by the middle class and rich to keep the attention on the poor and away from their greedy wealth accumulation and tax dodging. 

Sickens me watching working class folk perpetuate this myth. 

Sadly the minority abuse it and the majority get classed the same.

The Mighty Thor
35 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Sadly the minority abuse it and the majority get classed the same.

Always worth posting this for context.

c1a3bcfc-9d76-49bc-83c2-e8553264a56d-e1507813422879.thumb.png.0ec7c17cc692a72660473042e5a422be.png

Nucky Thompson
1 hour ago, AlimOzturk said:

Got a pal who has sole custody of two kids. He’s in a right state financially to the point I had to throw him some cash just so he didn’t have to starve himself to feed his kids. He is using food banks as well. 

Not sure wtf your mate is getting but from what I have seen it isn’t the norm. 

Fwiw he is in this situation after his wife died from cancer and he had to quit his job to look after the kids due to no child care. 

They were comfortable before. 

I know all situations are different.

The social work are involved with the boy I know because the mother was a junkie.

They seem to be able to get him all sorts of help and grants etc.

He's always boasting about getting this, that and the next thing

Unknown user
1 hour ago, AlimOzturk said:

It is brutal. He is understandably suffering depression and pretty much living a day to day existence. No future planning, no ability to change his current situation by working until the the youngest goes to nursery full

time next year. By that point he will be able to hopefully get back to some semblance of  comfort by working. 

on benefits are somehow living some sort of grandiose life above those who work is dangerously false. It is a tactic spewed by the middle class and rich to keep the attention on the poor and away from their greedy wealth accumulation and tax dodging. 

This, I know a number of people who are struggling to live the most basic of lives

henrysmithsgloves
14 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I know all situations are different.

The social work are involved with the boy I know because the mother was a junkie.

They seem to be able to get him all sorts of help and grants etc.

He's always boasting about getting this, that and the next thing

I had a stroke in January,not one **** has  offered help..I I'm still paralyzed down the right side. Tried cab when I got out of hospital at end of February, still waiting on them phoning back. Think I will start taking smack,might get help🤬🤬

WorldChampions1902
19 hours ago, Smithee said:

Imagine being on universal credit with just over £4k a year to survive on.

Don’t tell 30p Lee. More grist to his warped, “mill”.

On 02/04/2023 at 19:18, joondalupjambo said:

👍👍

We have a Minister who is responsible for regulating the markets.  Ms Coffey.  Think she is away on holiday 😄😄

You are right why alienate the masses?  I just cannot get my head round other than for the reasons I noted above.

So the regulation will only be on Champers, habanos, karaoke gear and lard. 

3 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

Got a pal who has sole custody of two kids. He’s in a right state financially to the point I had to throw him some cash just so he didn’t have to starve himself to feed his kids. He is using food banks as well. 

Fwiw he is in this situation after his wife died from cancer and he had to quit his job to look after the kids due to no child care. 

I'd be happy to chuck him a £50 gift card for Primark. Maybe help with some kids clothing. At their age they go through a rack.

PM me if you want 👍

22 hours ago, C Moon said:

I think he is a nice toaster.

A minor spelling error considering the keys are next to each other but still, get it right. :P  

:( Awful situation, poor fella. 

Shooter McGavin

100% agree.

Notice how it’s always people that work that peddle that myth too, if being on benefits leads to a better life, then why aren’t they doing it?

It’s just such a silly argument.

1 hour ago, Pap said:

I'd be happy to chuck him a £50 gift card for Primark. Maybe help with some kids clothing. At their age they go through a rack.

PM me if you want 👍

Appreciate the kind offer however I really don’t want to start down that road. Hard enough to get him to take money from myself  so i doubt he would even accept the kind offers like this. 

thanks a lot though. 

Just now, AlimOzturk said:

Appreciate the kind offer however I really don’t want to start down that road. Hard enough to get him to take money from myself  so i doubt he would even accept the kind offers like this. 

thanks a lot though. 

No probs, mate 👍

The Jazz Emu
On 02/04/2023 at 23:41, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Its just sooo wrong to assume gender, Mr/Mrs Jones could be an "it", might be a toaster for all I know.

23 hours ago, C Moon said:

I think he is a nice toaster.

58 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

A minor spelling error considering the keys are next to each other but still, get it right. :P  

I think you’ll find that it was the Saunders boy that made the error, and that it was me who played on it.  👍

13 minutes ago, C Moon said:

I think you’ll find that it was the Saunders boy that made the error, and that it was me who played on it.  👍

Fair play. :D

Doctor FinnBarr
1 hour ago, C Moon said:

48 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

Fair play. :D

No, toaster was meant.

il Duce McTarkin
14 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

Sakes man. What a hell of a thing for your mate and the wee ones to go through.

Folk should take their heads out of their collective arses and pay attention to stories and situations like this.

What kind of society do we actually want to live in?

It shouldn't be the kind that tolerates TMT's graph below.

12 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Always worth posting this for context.

c1a3bcfc-9d76-49bc-83c2-e8553264a56d-e1507813422879.thumb.png.0ec7c17cc692a72660473042e5a422be.png

:seething:

On 05/04/2023 at 16:38, AlimOzturk said:

Genuinely feel for your mate Alim. I lost my wife very suddenly and unexpectedly to cancer 2021. We have 2 children together too. If it hadn't been for insurance and my work being supportive with my hours, we would've been in the same boat. I have my mum to help with childcare thankfully but she ain't getting any younger and the kids are still young (4 and 8) so I need to look at mid to long term alternatives.  Your mate could quite easily have been me and stories like his make me mad. The system is shit. It seems to almost punish decent folk who want to work but can't,  or punish folk on low incomes. Like others have said, there's plenty folk out there living a decent standard of living either fully on benefits or getting lots of bolt ons for various ailments etc. Often they seem to get the brand new council or housing association properties too whilst the more deserving folk get offered the crumbling properties riddled with damp. 

• 4 weeks later...

Why does it take months for lowering prices to hit our pockets, but minutes for rising prices to wipe us out. 

"Oh, we bought this fuel at higher prices, so we have to pass it on". They never seen to have bought anything when it was going cheap.

Tommy Brown

BBC reporting that US Central Bank expecting to raise interest rates 0.25% to 5%.

No doubt BoE will follow suit.

1 hour ago, Tommy Brown said:

BBC reporting that US Central Bank expecting to raise interest rates 0.25% to 5%.

No doubt BoE will follow suit.

They are at it if they put interest rates up again 

indianajones
10 hours ago, theshed said:

They are at it if they put interest rates up again 

Didnt Rishi promise it would drop?

Psychedelicropcircle
3 minutes ago, indianajones said:

Didnt Rishi promise it would drop?

Rishi (Britain’s richest PM) has his doe invested in the US. That should say everything about brexit Britain.

That's my site coming to a halt. No idea when it will start up again. 

Interest rates, Inflation and the cost of everything. But hey, big business is making billions and the top table of government don't give a shit about us.

That thing you do

Scotland got Broad shoulders of UK but £0

Norway....

Wonder if this helps in current crisis?

img_1_1683317675108.jpg

Sainsbury's dropping prices of own bread and butter. Hopefully it's a starter for a price war.

Captain Sausage

So sick of this inflation. It’s just hammering us at the moment. Gone from super comfy to watching every penny that comes in and goes out now. 

No more luxury spending like takeaways and we now do a weekly shop at Aldi with no other food purchases through the week. 

Dual career professional couple with good jobs and 2 kids. The remortgage really crushed us (500pcm extra) and lack of pay rises means things are now pretty uncomfortable. 

I can only imagine the struggle this is putting on people who were right before this whole thing kicked off. 

JudyJudyJudy
4 hours ago, Captain Sausage said:

So sick of this inflation. It’s just hammering us at the moment. Gone from super comfy to watching every penny that comes in and goes out now. 

No more luxury spending like takeaways and we now do a weekly shop at Aldi with no other food purchases through the week. 

Dual career professional couple with good jobs and 2 kids. The remortgage really crushed us (500pcm extra) and lack of pay rises means things are now pretty uncomfortable. 

I can only imagine the struggle this is putting on people who were right before this whole thing kicked off. 

Sorry to hear this . Hope things improve 👍

JudyJudyJudy

Everytime I’m in the local sainsburys there’s always something going up

in price . Always . I literally gasp at times at the increases . Where are eggs ? 

5 hours ago, Captain Sausage said:

Your mortgage has went up £500 a month due to the interest rates going up?? 

1 hour ago, theshed said:

Your mortgage has went up £500 a month due to the interest rates going up?? 

May have just came off a low fixed interest deal...remember them..?:huh:

Edited by OBE

Harry Potter
6 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Sainsbury's dropping prices of own bread and butter. Hopefully it's a starter for a price war.

Hopefully toilet rolls and pasta will follow, 😏.

Central Belt 1874
6 hours ago, Captain Sausage said:

I'm in a similar situation as you. Execpt I've an extra child and our mortgage is 'only' going up next month by around £250-300 per month. 

Add the food price increases, energy, and all the other things and we are going to be an extra £550 - £600 more a month from this time in 2022. 

I'm not joking when I say Tesco is completely unaffordable for our weekly shop as a family now. 

I could save a fortune, if I could be arsed doing a weekly shop. But I just go every day and buy so much shite. 

Dennis Reynolds

My fixed price deal for energy is up at the end of the month 😒 I've already been paying more in so the rise shouldn't be as big a shock but I was hopeful prices would've fallen by now. I've certainly started looking at my outgoings though and there's a few luxurys heading for the chopping block as we have another bairn to feed now. 

Psychedelicropcircle

I’ve gained another years no claims & my car insurance has gone from 550 to 800+

***** 🤬

Nucky Thompson
3 minutes ago, Psychedelicropcircle said:

I’ve gained another years no claims & my car insurance has gone from 550 to 800+

***** 🤬

My van insurance was only £20 dearer than last year but I gained breakdown cover from the RAC on the policy

I had to change provider right enough.

It's still fairly easy to get deals on things like insurance if you shop around 

The Real Maroonblood
8 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Never stick with the same insurer year on year. You will get fleeced.

I agree particularly car insurance. 

Yet I've stayed with same home insurance company for a few years and it's continually decreased every year.

Rudi Hates Hibees
7 hours ago, OBE said:

May have just came off a low fixed interest deal...remember them..?:huh:

Yip, went from 1.7% to 4.04% on my remortgage last month... 😪

That thing you do
13 hours ago, Central Belt 1874 said:

I'm in a similar situation as you. Execpt I've an extra child and our mortgage is 'only' going up next month by around £250-300 per month. 

Add the food price increases, energy, and all the other things and we are going to be an extra £550 - £600 more a month from this time in 2022. 

I'm not joking when I say Tesco is completely unaffordable for our weekly shop as a family now. 

I feel for you as any breathing space for UK households is just about gone. Absorbing £600 a month is a tall order.

The Mighty Thor

A further increase in interest rates forecast today. 

It's making absolutely no difference to inflation either.

The economic mismanagement of the UK is staggering. 

14 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

All new build housing development will come to a standstill.

skinnybob72
2 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

How will increasing interest rates help reduce inflation when it’s being driven by profiteering and rampant corporate greed? 

Dennis Reynolds
1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

All new build housing development will come to a standstill.

There's a load of sites near me that have slowed down considerably. Not anywhere near as many folk on site as a few weeks ago. Poor guy that's set up a roll van nearby is shitting it. 

doctor jambo
19 hours ago, Central Belt 1874 said:

My mortgage is up £400 per month.

gas and leccy up £200 per

month.

So, yes, I feel for those who cannot make it.

id have to earn an extra £1200 per month just to cover that without the rise in food etc.