Doctor FinnBarr

doctor jambo
6 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

My mortgage is up £400 per month.

gas and leccy up £200 per

month.

So, yes, I feel for those who cannot make it.

id have to earn an extra £1200 per month just to cover that without the rise in food etc.

Add in the tax rise ( thanks Scotgov) and the relentless drive downwards of living standards is ridiculous

• Replies 794
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• Nucky Thompson

• joondalupjambo

• JudyJudyJudy

That thing you do
2 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

A further increase in interest rates forecast today. 

It's making absolutely no difference to inflation either.

The economic mismanagement of the UK is staggering. 

It wont do much for inflation at 4%

Because to fix it interest rates need to be higher than inflation

12% interest rate would cripple housing.

That leaves trying to have proportionally less shitty inflation by raising rates a bit is whats left.

Consumer inflation in US is down to 5% and rates are just over 4....so in the end with tbis rise there it should work.

UK is donald ducked though and in no small part due to Brexit.

Edited by That thing you do

The Mighty Thor
2 hours ago, That thing you do said:

That leaves trying to have proportionally less shitty inflation by raising rates a bit is whats left.

Consumer inflation in US is down to 5% and rates are just over 4....so in the end with tbis rise there it should work.

It's a blunt instrument that's for sure.

As has been pointed out above it won't impact the apparent systemic greed that makes our goods and services far more expensive than they probably should be. 

The UK is a drowning man that's been thrown an anvil. 

6 hours ago, That thing you do said:

Also 12 % would send repossessions spiralling. 

Uk is ****ed 

Thank goodness I paid off my mortgage two years ago.

15 years of sweat, but worth it in the end.

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, Rousset1 said:

Thank goodness I paid off my mortgage two years ago.

15 years of sweat, but worth it in the end.

👍

I really feel it for people who have a mortgage.

Crap times.

periodictabledancer
4 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

It's a blunt instrument that's for sure.

As has been pointed out above it won't impact the apparent systemic greed that makes our goods and services far more expensive than they probably should be. 

The UK is a drowning man that's been thrown an anvil. 

Every time  I see broadband adverts on TV saying annual increase will be CPI + 3.7% I want to scream. 

But we all have to take a real terms pay cut while the BofE struggles to control inflation by taking even more money out our pockets. 

Diadora Van Basten

I think Interest rate rises have been too quick.

My favourite bottle of wine went up from £7 to £7.70 in August last year.

For twelve months this will be included in inflation as 10%. After twelve months this will be included in inflation figures as 0%.

The Bank of England seem to be looking at the inflation figures each month and saying they’re not moving let’s put them up again but taking my wine example they could put interest rates up to 20% and the inflation on my bottle of wine will still be 10% until August this year.

WorldChampions1902
42 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Pound 1.15 against the Euro though 

onwards and upwards - iron the swimming trunks 😎

Preferably whilst you are in the pool 😎

joondalupjambo

In Denmark last week and food prices in the supermarkets were much lower than I thought they would be but then it clicked Brexit.  Less distance to transport goods and so less overheads.  Clothes as well did not seem that much higher either.  And so based on how much higher everything else was there it was a shock.  Grapes for example worked out at £1.25 a large box, £2.20 in Sainsbury's for a slightly smaller box.  Basic cheese was around a couple of quid whereas Sainsbury;s cheap cheddar is 3 pounds odd.   We really shot ourselves in the foot and the more and more the politicians try to bury the B word you can see why.   It is defo costing us a percentage more or food and no doubt other goods.   That percentage is hard to gauge but common sense says we have more travel costs and more admin costs to get the food here so of course it had to go up.  Boils ma stanes.

joondalupjambo
11 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Makes a change from about five or six years ago when I went to Denmark and even Lidl felt expensive. 

I know I was quite surprised to be honest as I expected prices across the board to be significantly higher.  It maybe that you need to be looking closely in their supermarkets but it just felt that staples seemed much more affordable unlike here where everything is a painful purchase.  Mind you bread in the bakers, beer, cups of coffee and petrol you winced when paying for these 🙂

Edited by joondalupjambo

Nucky Thompson
1 hour ago, joondalupjambo said:

In Denmark last week and food prices in the supermarkets were much lower than I thought they would be but then it clicked Brexit.  Less distance to transport goods and so less overheads.  Clothes as well did not seem that much higher either.  And so based on how much higher everything else was there it was a shock.  Grapes for example worked out at £1.25 a large box, £2.20 in Sainsbury's for a slightly smaller box.  Basic cheese was around a couple of quid whereas Sainsbury;s cheap cheddar is 3 pounds odd.   We really shot ourselves in the foot and the more and more the politicians try to bury the B word you can see why.   It is defo costing us a percentage more or food and no doubt other goods.   That percentage is hard to gauge but common sense says we have more travel costs and more admin costs to get the food here so of course it had to go up.  Boils ma stanes.

Are you sure you were calculating the exchange rate properly :whistling:

8.5 to the £

Cost of Living in Denmark. Prices in Denmark. Updated May 2023 (numbeo.com)

joondalupjambo
9 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Are you sure you were calculating the exchange rate properly :whistling:

8.5 to the £

Cost of Living in Denmark. Prices in Denmark. Updated May 2023 (numbeo.com)

Aye think so.  I used 8DKK to the pound which is more or less what I got.  As I said I was surprised that so many supermarket items were lower, really surprised.  Perhaps it was only on certain things as I said but I did check staples.

5 hours ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

:laugh:

Greedy Jambo

Just got paid!

When's pay day?

Honestly man, if i didn't own my own place, i'd be on the streets right now. 

Big shout out to the CMS. 

On 11/05/2023 at 18:22, WorldChampions1902 said:

:yas: :yas: :yas: 

On 11/05/2023 at 17:35, joondalupjambo said:

Not sure how Brexit and transport costs would make a difference to the price of basic cheese, cheddar was made in the UK before Brexit and still is.

joondalupjambo
6 hours ago, graygo said:

Not sure how Brexit and transport costs would make a difference to the price of basic cheese, cheddar was made in the UK before Brexit and still is.

Sorry to qualify it.  Only talking about products made in the Euro areas, I should have said that. They would have additional costs attached to them before being sold in the UK post Brexit.  

Edited by joondalupjambo

Bargains to be had on Continental websites if can be arsed to dig. Buying bulk hasn't incurred any transport or Continental/GB cross border charges...5 O'clock-Knock may still happen mind.

Lower priced pods were shipped from Denmark. Dry ridden again here in GB.

Screenshot (33).png

Screenshot (34).png

Edited by OBE

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
9 minutes ago, OBE said:

Bargains to be had on European websites if can be arsed to dig. Buying bulk hasn't incurred any transport or EU/GB cross border charges...5 O'clock-Knock may still happen mind.

Lower priced pods were shipped from Denmark. Dry ridden again here in GB.

Screenshot (33).png

Screenshot (34).png

So Denmark is cheaper. Wonder if they got the exchange rate correct? 🤔

2 minutes ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

So Denmark is cheaper. Wonder if they got the exchange rate correct? 🤔

Just checked, Denmark ain't in the EU...:biggrin:

We should start buying all our shit from Denmark...:thumbsup:

Edited by OBE

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
Just now, OBE said:

Just checked, Denmark ain't in the EU...:biggrin:

It is. It's not in the Eurozone, though.

1 minute ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

It is. It's not in the Eurozone, though.

Need a cheap coffee...all over the shop this morning...thanks

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
5 minutes ago, OBE said:

Need a cheap coffee...all over the shop this morning...thanks

👍Imagine how cheap our coffee would be if we were in the EU?

manaliveits105
On 13/05/2023 at 20:55, Wee Mikey said:

Popped into Asda on the way back from the match and spotted this.

Someone is having a laugh?

Screenshot_20230513_204433_Gallery.jpg

38 Still game ideas | still game, british comedy, jack and victor

Edited by manaliveits105

39 minutes ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

👍Imagine how cheap our coffee would be if we were in the EU?

When we were in the EU, I never managed to purchase (GB site) these coffee pods for less than £3.50, I'll take that all day long...

Diadora Van Basten

I saw a video on YouTube yesterday talking about why UK inflation is higher than anywhere else. 

They said that 1/3 of inflation is due to energy prices and that whilst the price of Gas has fallen back to pre invasion prices our energy market is so broken than the fall in energy prices has not been passed on and has been used to pay for the energy companies that went bust.

If so then raising interest rates won’t help as we are playing against a stacked debt meaning energy companies get richer and we get poorer.

The Real Maroonblood
15 minutes ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

I saw a video on YouTube yesterday talking about why UK inflation is higher than anywhere else. 

They said that 1/3 of inflation is due to energy prices and that whilst the price of Gas has fallen back to pre invasion prices our energy market is so broken than the fall in energy prices has not been passed on and has been used to pay for the energy companies that went bust.

If so then raising interest rates won’t help as we are playing against a stacked debt meaning energy companies get richer and we get poorer.

The UK Government are doing nothing about it.

What a a surprise.

Millionaire Ann Widdecombe tells folk not to buy food or formula if you can't afford it. 

I can't stand that trout. 

Edited by ri Alban

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Millionaire Ann Widdecombe tells folk not to buy food or formula if you can't afford it. 

I can't stand that trout. 

Unfortunately that decrepit, vile old bag can afford food. 

9 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

Unfortunately that decrepit, vile old bag can afford food. 

She's always been horrible, yet for some reason folk supported her on strictly. Go figure. That reminds, I used to say don't figure. Sorry just a topic on another thread. 😆

joondalupjambo
On 16/05/2023 at 08:02, OBE said:

When we were in the EU, I never managed to purchase (GB site) these coffee pods for less than £3.50, I'll take that all day long...

They might be selling us coffee pods for next to feck all but when I was over there last week or so it was circa a fiver for a cup of coffee in a cafe, more in certain tourist traps. Mind you when you hear folk in Costa here asking for a double shot, oat milk, large coffee it must be that as well😄

Edited by joondalupjambo

13 hours ago, joondalupjambo said:

They might be selling us coffee pods for next to feck all but when I was over there last week or so it was circa a fiver for a cup of coffee in a cafe, more in certain tourist traps. Mind you when you hear folk in Costa here asking for a double shot, oat milk, large coffee it must be that as well😄

You were a tourist, tourists get shafted everywhere they go, if they don't spear the arse out the joint prior to travel...:detective:

Edited by OBE

joondalupjambo

John Allen Chairman of Tesco a few months back challenged food producers for hiking prices unnecessarily and also said a windfall tax on energy companies was the way forward.  Controversial statements.

Roll forward a few months and he is resigning over inappropriate behaviour claims.

Hmmm.

35 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

John Allen Chairman of Tesco a few months back challenged food producers for hiking prices unnecessarily and also said a windfall tax on energy companies was the way forward.  Controversial statements.

Roll forward a few months and he is resigning over inappropriate behaviour claims.

Hmmm.

Supermarket boss asking for a windfall tax on energy companies ? Top level Deflection right there. 

joondalupjambo
Just now, Dazo said:

Supermarket boss asking for a windfall tax on energy companies ? Top level Deflection right there. 

Also funny how these has just been announced a few days after Rishi's all solving Food Summit.  

I was pricing some of the cheap goodies, yesterday. A mince round ,which used to be a quid is £1.50. Tesco own brand stuff has doubled, like the soup and dog food. Kitchen roll up about 40p. Then there's the ginger. Coca-cola isn't leaving the shelf and the water is up a few bob anaw. Bread and milk is scandalous. The only stuff not overly priced compared to the last year or two is fags and bevvy. Even the big bars of galaxy and dairy milk are up from a quid to £1.50. 

I bought stuff for a fry, and I near choked on the cost of it. Some folk are gonnae struggle and may even top themselves, if this keeps going, with rent/mortgage, fuel and energy costs on top. But hey, Damien Green used to swim in shite, so we can all swim in shite.

I must say, you canne beat a piping hot mince round. Feed the 5000 for a quid, sorry 30 bob.: 😋

3 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I must say, you canne beat a piping hot mince round. Feed the 5000 for a quid, sorry 30 bob.: 😋

Do like a cheeky mince round with mashed tatties and beans every now and then as a treat.  

6 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

Do like a cheeky mince round with mashed tatties and beans every now and then as a treat.  

😋😋😋

My own take on this is that astronomical energy hikes to the factories producing all foods in UK from tinned foods to cheese etc is probably responsible for the majority of increases. Meanwhile, the UK government stand back and don't intervene unlike, their French counterparts who nationalised EDF. Also, the Scottish government's answer is to hike taxes again for anyone on more than 43k a year. Whilst 43k a year is obviously a decent salary and above the national average, if you've a single income of 43k a year, your a lot worse off than 2 folk earning 20k a year each. Point I'm making is that, the SNP seem to think anyone earning over 43k a year is living the high life and that certainly is not always the case. The joke of it all is that the 51% of Scots tax payers earning 28k or under may well be 'better off' than their English counterparts, but to the tune of £20 a year. Hardly life changing comfort zones they are in! I've got my tin hat on ready for the Aye, but we get phree prescripshuns and phree edumacation and that, likesy, ken wot a mean?! 🙈🙈

4 hours ago, Gundermann said:

This Lib Dem member calls it a 'Cost of Leaving' crisis and questions why his own pisspoor leader, Ed Davey, isn't opposing Brexit.

https://mastodon.scot/@lorddarcy/110396218799961808

Mhairi black refers to it as a cost of greed crisis. She absolutely nails it as far as I'm concerned, and I'm no SNP fanboy. 

https://fb.watch/kDNVAhbtQ3/