• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sooks

• Wee Mikey

• been here before

• This is My Story Podcast

kingantti1874

Problem is.  We don’t just turn up and sing.  When I was in my teens i was a tad mad at the footy. I don’t think a leg t shame with a voice .. now - I’m quiet as a mouse. 

Well done to the young lads. 100% behind them 

Hilarious thread packed with younger ‘ultra’ fans posing as old geezers to justify pitching folk out of their seats.

’I’m 95 and have always wanted to sit beside a drummer and jump up and down’!

46 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Need to just move them.

Offer them seats, if not - bye bye.

I imagine the club will be a little bit more pragmatic than this. 

Byyy The Light
1 minute ago, the posh bit said:

I imagine the club will be a little bit more pragmatic than this. 

They can just stay. If they don’t like it they can move the following season

jamboinglasgow

I would agree with others and welcome an ultra group at Tynecastle. I think they have demonstrated that they can be trusted and are doing it the right way with the club so should be applauded. The attempts a few years back was sadly ruined by a group singing sectarian songs and acting like ****s. This new group seem to be ones who are doing it as it should be, a group of fans who just want to sing for 90 mins, looking all the time for new songs and giving themselves an identity.

I think if they get a section of the Gorgie stand, then if the club give season ticket holders in that area plenty of notice, and look to help move them, then I think that things will bne done right. You always get some grumbling but its not like the club wouldn't have been accommodating.

Have missed a few games at Tynecastle this season due to commitments but was blown away at the Motherwell match with an atmosphere that is rare outside of an Old Firm/Derby match where we are winning. If an Ultra group can help maintain that or even enhance it then it should be welcomed.

The only word of caution is the danger of ultra groups are ones who believe their own hype and believe they are the real supporters of the club, above everyone else so are the ones who the club must answer to and whose demands must be met. You see that with the Green Brigade as well as groups on the continent.  

I'm watching almost entirely from afar but when I heard about this coming round again, it brought to mind the teens that organized something 8-10 years ago. At that time it seemed to be a lot of wind-up merchants who were intent on reviving the sectarian songs and being neds—there was an incident stealing a steward's hat I think and running around with it. IIRC that group got partially banned from the ground and the rest of them dissipated. Or maybe the ones who weren't formed the core of this group?

At any rate, every time I've seen video or seen anything about the current Gorgie, it seems they're far more about singing songs about the club rather than about sectarian conflict and seem to be having a lovely, goofy, rauckus time. As it should be.

10 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Need to just move them.

Offer them seats, if not - bye bye.

Pretty much,

”this is the plan for next season, as compensation for moving then have a seat with a better view for the same price, if that doesn’t work then sorry but tough”

Bazzas right boot
13 minutes ago, boag1874 said:

Pretty much,

”this is the plan for next season, as compensation for moving then have a seat with a better view for the same price, if that doesn’t work then sorry but tough”

Yip.

Bazzas right boot
10 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

Problem is.  We don’t just turn up and sing.  When I was in my teens i was a tad mad at the footy. I don’t think a leg t shame with a voice .. now - I’m quiet as a mouse. 

Well done to the young lads. 100% behind them 

Tbf, we can't just turn up and sing anymore due to the allocated seats, back in the terracing days you could shuffle along to the corner if you fancied a sing song or if you couldnae be arsed stand in another section or have a seat on the luxurious benches.

Very modern of them to leave out the Gorgie Boys, very inclusive :)  A different world we live in and I love that there's a good bit of movement to group the boys together.  I just hope (and expect) that they will always look after each other.

There's huge excitement in our house as there's a hoodie arriving from the first batch, far too small for me thankfully.

11 hours ago, Byyy The Light said:

They can just stay. If they don’t like it they can move the following season

Pretty much this. I'm sure they'd be asking the club to move within 2-3 games.

Or they'll join in :lol:

queensferryjambo

I am all for the Ultras making a bit of noise in the ground.

The young team / fans tried the singing section stuff years (2014 to 2017ish?) back and to be honest they failed for quite a few reasons. They failed because they sang songs the rest of the crowd didn't know. They failed because during games when there was a good atmosphere already and fans were already singing they started singing their songs. They failed because they kept setting off smoke bombs in areas where people couldn't be arsed with it or when it didn't exactly add atmosphere (4-0 down to Livingston away in the last 2 minutes is a great example). They failed because they were obnoxious at away games to other Hearts fans. They failed due to sectarian and racist songs outside and inside the ground. The biggest thing they failed at though was they could not take one single solitary piece of good advice especially from Hearts the club. 

Fast forward to now from what I have seen they people giving it a go now are a bit more savvy and are a lot better at trying to create an atmosphere so good luck to them. They seem better organised and have embraced bigger numbers as well by doing the pre-match walks or parades. I would also say it doesn't seem as 'forced' or false atmosphere as years back when it was tried. Fans just seem a bit more onboard possibly a lot to do with a pile of excellent away European matches getting the fans together.

Good luck to them anyway, we all want to see Hearts do well and a good atmosphere in the ground.

On 20/11/2022 at 11:18, Colonel Kurtz said:

I was sitting outside the Polwart when the ST Johnsone ults came in all dressed in black.

I honestly thought they were a fringe axt and asked one of them what the name of the show was

I remember the old pie stand  it was like Rourkes Drift when we played Celtic but we stood our ground in the main.

Eventually sheer weight of numbers forced us out to what became the shed

THere as even a few in clockwork uniform black crombie and bleached 501s

Leter om Mr Sifter was prominent

Good luvk to the young boys

That brought back a few memories - the butcher's apron guy, and the Clockwork Orange boiler suits..  I hope they have a blast, and I see it as a significant thing that has happened over the summer, along with and tied into getting into Europe again.  Keep it up.

I think the demand to be part of this will be surprisingly high, it will be difficult for the club but if they could free up the bottom 3 sections of the lower Gorgie stand then it could potentially grow into something big. It isn’t going to be a bunch of teens jumping about for the Snapchat videos, this group from what I hear seems intent on making Tynecastle’s atmosphere better.

A lot of work for the club but think they’ll need to:

1. Ask all current ST holders at end of season if they are unable to renew/if they want to be part of it.
2. From these released seats, offer them up to current ST holders in lower Gorgie for no extra cost.

3. Collate the reference numbers of those wanting involved and allocate lower Gorgie seats to them.

It’s not impossible but no harm in the club trying.

I personally can’t see enough wanting to move to accommodate unfortunately. Maybe a further incentive would be required.

The Hogfather
7 minutes ago, Gorgie_Rules said:

I think the demand to be part of this will be surprisingly high, it will be difficult for the club but if they could free up the bottom 3 sections of the lower Gorgie stand then it could potentially grow into something big. It isn’t going to be a bunch of teens jumping about for the Snapchat videos, this group from what I hear seems intent on making Tynecastle’s atmosphere better.

A lot of work for the club but think they’ll need to:

1. Ask all current ST holders at end of season if they are unable to renew/if they want to be part of it.
2. From these released seats, offer them up to current ST holders in lower Gorgie for no extra cost.

3. Collate the reference numbers of those wanting involved and allocate lower Gorgie seats to them.

It’s not impossible but no harm in the club trying.

I personally can’t see enough wanting to move to accommodate unfortunately. Maybe a further incentive would be required.

Realistically though the final decision lies with Hearts. If those in charge decide to hold those seats for those who register an interest then there's not much anyone can say/do. It's their house, they can decide what furniture anyone sits in.

Shooter McGavin
9 minutes ago, The Hogfather said:

Realistically though the final decision lies with Hearts. If those in charge decide to hold those seats for those who register an interest then there's not much anyone can say/do. It's their house, they can decide what furniture anyone sits in.

I agree, people are saying they’d be disappointed if they were forced to move to a better seat for the same price they’re paying at the minute, I just don’t understand that.

I’d be more disappointed if the younger generation of Hearts fans coming through had their progressive, exciting project, which would ultimately lift the atmosphere and create a general buzz around the place, was binned cause folk have an “emotional attachment” to a seat.

27 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

I agree, people are saying they’d be disappointed if they were forced to move to a better seat for the same price they’re paying at the minute, I just don’t understand that.

I’d be more disappointed if the younger generation of Hearts fans coming through had their progressive, exciting project, which would ultimately lift the atmosphere and create a general buzz around the place, was binned cause folk have an “emotional attachment” to a seat.

Not sure how you can guarantee them all a 'better' seat given the home end is sold out ( apart from a few sections in the School End ).  Better is also down to personal opinion.  

Has the club indicated any such section will be lower Gorgie?

Interesting times. 

Bazzas right boot
34 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

It epyld be shite and create a further divide amongst the fan base.

This is a good thing. 

Shooter McGavin
2 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Not sure how you can guarantee them all a 'better' seat given the home end is sold out ( apart from a few sections in the School End ).  Better is also down to personal opinion.  

Has the club indicated any such section will be lower Gorgie?

Interesting times. 

I reckon the club will do it on a one in/one out basis, so I don’t suspect that’ll be an issue. Could even be a direct swap with the person who’s seat you’re taking.

I’m suggesting they’ll likely get better seats as it seems the majority of folk up for the move are in upper G & N which are considered “gold” sections, whereas isn’t lower Gorgie all bronze and silver, hence why they’re cheaper as the view isn’t as good?

I think the Gorgie stand is the desired area, I’m sure the lads from the “This Is My Story” podcast suggested that. Everything else is just speculation at this point.

23 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

I reckon the club will do it on a one in/one out basis, so I don’t suspect that’ll be an issue. Could even be a direct swap with the person who’s seat you’re taking.

I’m suggesting they’ll likely get better seats as it seems the majority of folk up for the move are in upper G & N which are considered “gold” sections, whereas isn’t lower Gorgie all bronze and silver, hence why they’re cheaper as the view isn’t as good?

I think the Gorgie stand is the desired area, I’m sure the lads from the “This Is My Story” podcast suggested that. Everything else is just speculation at this point.

It gets trickier where people sit with groups of family/friends. Also, Is the club expected to continue to charge them silver prices even though they may get moved to gold, or even platinum, seats? Conversely will those moving from platinum/gold to silver in the Gorgie continue to be charged thise prices or will the club absorb the reduced income?

Quite a few things for the club to work through I think if this is the preferred solution. 

Huge fan of them but two things I don't like: 

Gorgie Ultras - why call yourself ultras? Why not just call yourself 'The Gorgie' or something totally original, calling yourself ultras defeats the point, people should know you are ultras without having to tell everyone. It's just not a very good name. There's so many things you could call yourself. 

Logo - looks absolutely pish. Outdated and cheap. A smiley face with a bucket hat. Why.

Apart from that, the atmosphere and songs are brilliant. Just needs a bit of a rework and it would be phenomenal. 

Shooter McGavin
7 hours ago, davemclaren said:

It gets trickier where people sit with groups of family/friends. Also, Is the club expected to continue to charge them silver prices even though they may get moved to gold, or even platinum, seats? Conversely will those moving from platinum/gold to silver in the Gorgie continue to be charged thise prices or will the club absorb the reduced income?

Quite a few things for the club to work through I think if this is the preferred solution. 

I reckon folk who are being shifted from lower Gorgie, if that is indeed the preferred section, will be offered the seats that have been free’d up in G & N at the same price they’re on at the minute, as a kind of incentive to be open to the change. Folk looking to move from G & N may need to pay the same as they’re on at the minute, so like you say the club isn’t losing money.

Then thereafter, everybody pays in accordance with what section they’re in.

Ultimately, the club should be pulling out all the stops to make sure this happens, and overcome any wee obstacles along the way, as we can’t go back to Tynecastle being a borefest every week.

1 hour ago, Sertse said:

Gorgie Ultras - why call yourself ultras? Why not just call yourself 'The Gorgie' or something totally original, calling yourself ultras defeats the point, people should know you are ultras without having to tell everyone. It's just not a very good name. There's so many things you could call yourself. 

Logo - looks absolutely pish. Outdated and cheap. A smiley face with a bucket hat. Why.

Apart from that, the atmosphere and songs are brilliant. Just needs a bit of a rework and it would be phenomenal. 

Disagree on the logo . Much better than the usual skull or twat in a balaclava ect, or a bulldog that looks lifted straight from Georgetown 

Maybe just my age but the smiley face feels nicely retro like when I was a teenager in the 90s and most of this sort of football culture and fashion was starting out 

18 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

I reckon folk who are being shifted from lower Gorgie, if that is indeed the preferred section, will be offered the seats that have been free’d up in G & N at the same price they’re on at the minute, as a kind of incentive to be open to the change. Folk looking to move from G & N may need to pay the same as they’re on at the minute, so like you say the club isn’t losing money.

Then thereafter, everybody pays in accordance with what section they’re in.

Ultimately, the club should be pulling out all the stops to make sure this happens, and overcome any wee obstacles along the way, as we can’t go back to Tynecastle being a borefest every week.

Time will tell how it works in practice, assuming that the club are going ahead with it.  

On 21/11/2022 at 07:49, Bazzas right boot said:

Tbf, we can't just turn up and sing anymore due to the allocated seats, back in the terracing days you could shuffle along to the corner if you fancied a sing song or if you couldnae be arsed stand in another section or have a seat on the luxurious benches.

Used to shuffle between the gorgie end and the roseburn(school end) back in the 70s , wee stop in the shed at times, 

we need a singing section, get the atmosphere livened up.

The Hogfather
10 hours ago, Shooter McGavin said:

In a time where younger fans are more interested in English and foreign teams and less interested in going to the football, groups like this go a long way to enticing the younger generation along. I certainly hope this isn't derailed by some moaning faced idiots attachment to a bit of plastic on hinges.

luckyBatistuta
3 hours ago, Sertse said:

2 hours ago, Sooks said:

Disagree on the logo . Much better than the usual skull or twat in a balaclava ect, or a bulldog that looks lifted straight from Georgetown 

Maybe just my age but the smiley face feels nicely retro like when I was a teenager in the 90s and most of this sort of football culture and fashion was starting out 

I quite like it too. Does have a wee fun retro feel to it. My boys both want one, they think they’re smart. Don’t know why so many folks are so down on the slightest of things these days.

Just now, luckyBatistuta said:

I quite like it too. Does have a wee fun retro feel to it. My boys both want one, they think they’re smart. Don’t know why so many folks are so down on the slightest of things these days.

We are a thoroughly miserable fan base 😄 

Even smiles trigger us 

I wish they weren't called Ultras. That has a bad rep from other places. Glad to see the behaviour from Gorgie is much better than that.

Haven't liked previous groups with their inappropriate songs and chants. Glad to see that is not the case now.

Personally, I can't stand drums at games, but I'll live with it. Please get a drummer though!

All the best.

I think a big problem with asking people to move will be groups. I sit in a group of 16 and it took us a fair few seasons to get everyone together.  In the top of the gorgie so doesn't look like we would be asked to move anyway.  It would be great if in time the entire gorgie was full of like minded singing types. We might even end up with some madman with a loudspeaker.

All for it as long as they behave and do not sing the songs we cannot sing anymore.  

13 minutes ago, jambali said:

I wish they weren't called Ultras. That has a bad rep from other places. Glad to see the behaviour from Gorgie is much better than that.

Haven't liked previous groups with their inappropriate songs and chants. Glad to see that is not the case now.

Personally, I can't stand drums at games, but I'll live with it. Please get a drummer though!

All the best.

Exactly why I don't like the 'ultras' name. Terrible rep from people who have no interest in football. If the Scottish government decides to 'crack down' on football fans as they love to do, it'll be clubs with 'ultras' who call themselves ultras in the name in the firing line first.

I saw a thing on the news recently saying football fans are more prone to committing violence because loads of them are on class A drugs, not kidding.

Shooter McGavin
1 hour ago, sac said:

Any estimate of potential numbers for this section/s at present?

The group has over 3,000 followers on twitter, and whilst I’m not suggesting that translates to 3,000 people will be up for it, I do think that indicates it’ll be a lot bigger than folk think.

Reckon they could easily get the full lower Gorgie end for a start. That would be circa 900.

1 hour ago, sac said:

Any estimate of potential numbers for this section/s at present?

Not sure on the numbers but know from twitter they had a survey out to see who would be interested in being involved and they have met with the club since so assume the findings were presented to the club. With it being early days and 3,000 odd followers on twitter already I think the club will be surprised at the demand, which is going to make it even harder to allocate seats/sections.

Will take a bit of a radical shake up, perhaps the club could poll current ST holders to get their thoughts then lean on the findings if majority are in favour to shift people about.

Shooter McGavin
45 minutes ago, Sertse said:

Exactly why I don't like the 'ultras' name. Terrible rep from people who have no interest in football. If the Scottish government decides to 'crack down' on football fans as they love to do, it'll be clubs with 'ultras' who call themselves ultras in the name in the firing line first.

I saw a thing on the news recently saying football fans are more prone to committing violence because loads of them are on class A drugs, not kidding.

If people aren’t educated on the subject, then they can think what they want.

I think you’ve got a fairly extreme outlook on what “ultras” are all about. And with regards to the last point of your post, if you think Hearts creating a singing section is going to turn out like a scene from Narcos then I’m not sure what to tell you 😂

Just a bit hysterical towards the end there.

Just now, Shooter McGavin said:

If people aren’t educated on the subject, then they can think what they want.

I think you’ve got a fairly extreme outlook on what “ultras” are all about. And with regards to the last point of your post, if you think Hearts creating a singing section is going to turn out like a scene from Narcos then I’m not sure what to tell you 😂

Just a bit hysterical towards the end there.

Mate where did I say that's what I believe? I'm saying that's what the average person is told that's what a football fan is by the news and they tell them ultras are all extremely violent casuals and think the terms are interchangeable.

I'd prefer we were called 'Gorgie Terror' and had a skull as the logo than Gorgie Ultras purely because of the negative attention it attracts

Shooter McGavin
5 minutes ago, Sertse said:

Mate where did I say that's what I believe? I'm saying that's what the average person is told that's what a football fan is by the news and they tell them ultras are all extremely violent casuals and think the terms are interchangeable.

I'd prefer we were called 'Gorgie Terror' and had a skull as the logo than Gorgie Ultras purely because of the negative attention it attracts

That’s fair enough, I misunderstood your post.

Again, what the average person thinks is of no concern. Anybody with an ounce of knowledge knows what the “ultra” culture is all about. Football fans in general get a bad rep, doesn’t stop us from supporting our team and going to games though.

I personally don’t mind the “ultras” in the name as I know it doesn’t have negative connotations.

To me “Gorgie Terror” seems more aggresive.

”Gorgie Ultras” is just fine 👍🏻

Edited by Shooter McGavin

All roads lead to Gorgie

I think we will have to make the STs in the Roseburn include the derbies, hibs won't give us less tickets for games at fester because they couldn't sell enough themselves to make up the shortfall. Those moved from the Gorgie could be offered seats there at a reduced rate for a season to make it attractive for them to move.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 minute ago, Barack said:

The Gorgie Skull ****ers.

Much more neutral.

Just another way of saying Gorgie Rules for more Scrabble points 🤷‍♂️

Just now, Barack said:

Can just imagine the foreign police reaction, when & if Hearts are back abroad

"Who are we playing?"

"Hearts. From Scotland."

"What's their Ultra scene like?".

"They call themselves..."The Gorgie Terror".

"Hmm. Sounds scary. We'll have to just kick the shit out of them instead."

:lol:

That's exactly how it would go 🤣Was going for an extreme example there but you can see how strongly I feel about the ultras name! The government is fully out for football fans and I want them to keep away from us as much as possible.

• davemclaren changed the title to The Hearts Ultras ( merged )