***Official Celtic v Heart of Midlothian match thread***

Geoff Kilpatrick

My first letter on the forum. My dad was Hearts fan but I grew up in the Hamburg area supporting St. Pauli. Hope for a good game tomorrow, no winner is what I hope for.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sooks

• Bazzas right boot

• neilnunb

• Fozzyonthefence

Heartsmad1874
18 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Both sides of the weakened team talk has merit but it would be cheating the fans who pay to watch our best team try to beat THEM. Always feel we should take one game at a time and field our best players. The exception to the rule is a nothing game before a cup final etc. 

Exactly. £35 to watch us accept defeat before a balls been kicked would be a real kick in the stains to the fans who go including myself.

4 minutes ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

Exactly. £35 to watch us accept defeat before a balls been kicked would be a real kick in the stains to the fans who go including myself.

If you think we are getting anything out of the game you are seriously deluded.

Heartsmad1874
Just now, frankblack said:

I never once said i did think we would get anything out the game.

I said i'd be disappointed if the team sheet has given up on it before the balls been kicked, they are two entirely different things if you actually use your brain and think about it.

I've been to Celtic Park many a time and seen us take some hammerings and wouldn't be surprised if its the same again tomorrow.

4 minutes ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

I never once said i did think we would get anything out the game.

I said i'd be disappointed if the team sheet has given up on it before the balls been kicked, they are two entirely different things if you actually use your brain and think about it.

I've been to Celtic Park many a time and seen us take some hammerings and wouldn't be surprised if its the same again tomorrow.

Given our injuries I've written off tomorrow and Thursday is the priority.  There is more at stake in Thursday's game.

Dosn't matter what we do with the team tomorrow, because they are nowhere near good enough.

8 minutes ago, frankblack said:

"Think" no, but hope for and passionately desire unquestionably.

Shooter McGavin

This Celtic squad we’re up against tomorrow is worth about £100 million,

please for the love of **** can the pantwetters stay away from here tomorrow.

There will be people on here who think if we just “turn up and have a go” we’ll horse them…

I’d be quite happy to come out of this game with zero injuries, regardless of the result.

I expect us to get pumped every time we go there (sadly my expectations are met more often than not) with a full strength team. I'd expect changes with Thu in mind (and Halkett being injured). If we keep it within 3 I'd be amazed. But if we win Thu tomorrow's result will soon be forgotten 

Just now, Shooter McGavin said:

This Celtic squad we’re up against tomorrow is worth about £100 million,

please for the love of **** can the pantwetters stay away from here tomorrow.

There will be people on here who think if we just “turn up and have a go” we’ll horse them…

I’d be quite happy to come out of this game with zero injuries, regardless of the result.

The Neilson haters will have their slavers ready to launch once the first Celtic goal goes in.

Ex member of the SaS
12 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Did you think Hibs would get anything out of the huns game? Yes, the chances of winning against either bigot team is slim, but we have beaten them before and will again. It all depends on the manager and players having the belief to get stuck in. Yes they have far better players but as I posted in another thread application belief and passion can overcome even the best teams.

Shooter McGavin
2 minutes ago, frankblack said:

The Neilson haters will have their slavers ready to launch once the first Celtic goal goes in.

100%

They’ll be waiting for it.

2 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Did you think Hibs would get anything out of the huns game? Yes, the chances of winning against either bigot team is slim, but we have beaten them before and will again. It all depends on the manager and players having the belief to get stuck in. Yes they have far better players but as I posted in another thread application belief and passion can overcome even the best teams.

I'd fancy our chances tomorrow of getting something if Celtic went down to 9 men as well.

No, belief and passion doesn't get you past the best teams when your own squad isn't good enough.

Ex member of the SaS

Many on here think I am a Robbie hater, I am not, though I do believe there are better managers out there we should be looking at. Do I think we will win tomorrow? No I don't but I do want to see our manager and players get stuck in and at least try. Will I wet my pants NO but I will be annoyed if we lay down to them.

Ex member of the SaS
Just now, frankblack said:

I'd fancy our chances tomorrow of getting something if Celtic went down to 9 men as well.

No, belief and passion doesn't get you past the best teams when your own squad isn't good enough.

So can you explain how we have won in the past? 

2 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

So can you explain how we have won in the past? 

We haven't won there in 14 years, and wins were always extremely rare.  When we last did we had better players who we can't afford now.

Different Class

If anyone's swithering about attending this - I just picked up an OAP concession ticket from the ticket office (£19) and the ticket is identical to an adult one with the full price (£32) on it :pleased: 

13 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Many on here think I am a Robbie hater, I am not, though I do believe there are better managers out there we should be looking at. Do I think we will win tomorrow? No I don't but I do want to see our manager and players get stuck in and at least try. Will I wet my pants NO but I will be annoyed if we lay down to them.

But some people think that being soundly beaten by a much better team is lying down or shitting pants.

22 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

We never have and never will lie down to Celtic 🥴 

Shooter McGavin
47 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

After one of our better seasons in recent times, reaching a cup final, guaranteeing group stage European football, securing a lot of money in the process which could help us pull away from 4th, 5th, 6th etc and then selling out season tickets for the first time since 2006,

and you think we should be looking at other managers 😂

Who are these other managers you think we should be looking at? Pep? Ancelotti?

Rudi Hates Hibees

Anyone know if I could get tickets tomorrow at the club shop? It’s open 10-4 according to online but it says ticket office isn’t open. 

Percival King
5 hours ago, Bull's-eye said:

Fans bored, players bored, managers bored, TV company's bored, investment non existent.

Yes, let leave it as is ☹️☹️☹️

I'm not bored by Scottish football (never have been) and it would appear there are thousands of Hearts supporters who feel the same given the demand for tickets. That's not to say it can't be improved, unfortunately Scottish football tends not to be innovative or quick or open to change.

Fxxx the SPFL
1 hour ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

Good on you bud I hope we get something but history dictates we won’t I’d rather play some of the fringe players Thursday is the most important game for us for years 

The Treasurer
1 hour ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Who would you suggest to replace Robbie. 

Not having a go, genuine question as I'm curious 

Bazzas right boot
16 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

After one of our better seasons in recent times, reaching a cup final, guaranteeing group stage European football, securing a lot of money in the process which could help us pull away from 4th, 5th, 6th etc and then selling out season tickets for the first time since 2006,

In the past 

Robinson 

Wright 

Ross 

Martindale 

Neil

Mcann

Hartley 

Where all mentioned :phface:

Edited by Bazzas right boot

4-1 to them, we always shite it through there, it really is the worst away venue for me, as most likely it's a pumping waiting to happen. 

No bothered tbh I hope we take players off early to keep them fresh for our game against Zurich.

Our record at Celtic Park is truly horrific, worse than St Johnstone, Aberdeen, indeed almost ALL the teams currently in the SPFL - must be due at least a draw sometime soon? Probably not tomorrow though!

Captain Sausage

Difficult one. Feel like Robbie is damned if he does, damned if he doesn’t. 

Start a full strength XI and lose, get someone injured, etc - he will be slaughtered for not thinking about Zurich. 

Start a reserve XI and he’ll be slagged for shitting it against Celtic. 

Personally, I’d play the full strength team. This side needs to learn to go to big grounds, play a strong host and come away with more than a 3-0 defeat. If we can’t do it against Celtic, we certainly won’t be able to against a large number of Europa League sides. 

Bazzas right boot
10 minutes ago, Holtie said:

Our record at Celtic Park is truly horrific, worse than St Johnstone, Aberdeen, indeed almost ALL the teams currently in the SPFL - must be due at least a draw sometime soon? Probably not tomorrow though!

Without checking,  although still poor our home record must be one of the better ones. 

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, Captain Sausage said:

Start a full strength XI and lose, get someone injured, etc - he will be slaughtered for not thinking about Zurich. 

Personally, I’d play the full strength team. This side needs to learn to go to big grounds, play a strong host and come away with more than a 3-0 defeat. If we can’t do it against Celtic, we certainly won’t be able to against a large number of Europa League sides. 

Yip. 

The players will also want to play in these games. 

4 minutes ago, Captain Sausage said:

Pretty much agree with all that. Full strength, although anyone with a niggle or a wee knock should be benched. 

1 hour ago, LochcarronJambo said:

We wont lie down against septic scum, but i have the fear it could be a heavy defeat

So do I but I also have the hope we will win.

6 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Pretty much agree with all that. Full strength, although anyone with a niggle or a wee knock should be benched. 

Yip. 

portobellojambo1
35 minutes ago, Captain Sausage said:

I'm going through tomorrow and I expect us to lose, sad to say but I get disappointed when we draw any game, never mind lose. I could see it going the same way as Thursday, i.e. we could get ahead early on, bur then surrender the middle of the park start playing deeper and go behind by letting them dictate how the game will be played.

Edited by portobellojambo1

I assume tomorrow willbbe a back 5, cochrane and natty are young enough to be playing 2 ganes a week.   

I would like to see gino start,   Try and counter attack with some pace.

I dont have an issue playing against better teams and sitting deep, but we need to counter with pace and a plan, even against zurach the issue wasnt the set up but the lack of options when we win the ball back

south morocco

It’s a difficult one. The financial carrot of having a stronger side on Thursday and it’s consequences against an away tie we normally don’t win will have been discussed internally I’m sure. Personally I’d hope we are putting more eggs into Thursdays basket.

My team would be 

Gordon

Smith  Rowles  Kingsley

Atkinson                         Halliday

Devlin Haring Grant

Ginnelly Boyce 

Pretty strong team but rest McKay, Shankland and Cochrane.

Solid defence with Smith in for Sibbick. Assuming Halkett is out.

Celtic will have most of the ball so it is basically 8 defensive players behind the ball.

Boyce in for his ability to hold it up and Ginnelly for his pace. Counter attacks with pace against Celtic are our best hope of a goal or getting one of their defenders sent off.

Arthur Morgan

Honestly, in a game we are 99% certain to get beat, we may as well just go for it. Honestly don't see the point in trying to keep it tight and sitting off them, it never works.

7 minutes ago, Arthur Morgan said:

Honestly, in a game we are 99% certain to get beat, we may as well just go for it. Honestly don't see the point in trying to keep it tight and sitting off them, it never works.

Absolute certainty this will be our approach. 

No matter how good our team are, they usually have better. We get no breaks from referees and they always seem to up their game against us (being in their eyes mini Huns). It's a tough ask for our players but we can get a reasonable result if we play our best. That might still be a close defeat. 

Tomorrow for me is about taking something from the game. That might not be points but if any of our players show that they can stand up and be counted in the toughest domestic fixture then that's a positive. 

Start with those we want to give this chance to. I'd risk Neilson and push Sibbick into midfield where we are going to need extra defensive cover along with Haring and Cammy.

Maybe upfront get some fresh legs surrounding Shankland. Gino has been reasonable against this mob before and would give us a pacy out ball target if we are being pinned back. Maybe Hendo too to run himself into the ground and leave fresher legs for McKay and Forrest on Thursday.

We have a squad and we need to balance the use of our best resources. 

Thursday is ultimately more important than the usual predictable loss to Sellick. But let's learn something on the way..

Just now, Captain Sausage said:

Brilliant post and you should be looking to win every game full strength team ALWAYS WHEN THERE IS SOMETHING AT STAKE.

4 hours ago, Pauli-Pauli said:

My first letter on the forum. My dad was Hearts fan but I grew up in the Hamburg area supporting St. Pauli. Hope for a good game tomorrow, no winner is what I hope for.

A draw would be a decent result, for sure.

Welcome to the madhouse 😊

Fozzyonthefence
2 hours ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Do you think we should be looking at better players?

Shooter McGavin
5 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Do you think we should be looking at better players?

Yes.

And the reason for your question?

Fozzyonthefence
3 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Yes.

And the reason for your question?

So we should look for better players than the ones we have and who just had our best season for years, got to a cup final, secured group stages European football, sold out season tickets but not a better manager?  

Why do you think we can get better players but not a better manager?  Seems to be a level of hypocrisy among some who always look for us to get better players in but can’t accept we can get a better manager.  Just like we don’t need Haaland or Salah to improve the playing squad we don’t need Pep or Klopp to improve the management side.