***Official Celtic v Heart of Midlothian match thread***

Geoff Kilpatrick

1 hour ago, cheetah said:

Strongest team every game or what's the ******* point in it all.

My feeling exactly. Last thing we want to do is get a proper embarrassing result (which might happen anyway)! But folk suggesting Stewart in goals are off their rocker. We need to retain possession so much better and be aware of players running off of us. We really have nothing to lose as everyone expects an easy home win so might as well go out and try and play a bit.  

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sooks

• Bazzas right boot

• neilnunb

• Fozzyonthefence

Chillidigits
18 hours ago, Bauld said:

Show up. 

Remove pants.

Bend over.

Head home with an arse like a burst wind sock.

I'm just imagining them actually doing that and can hardly stop laughing. On live tv as well. Eleven sore and tender back doors after 90 minutes two water breaks and injury time but for the onlookers, unmatched entertainment.

12 minutes ago, Marvin said:

1-1 is not an unrealistic probability even against 12 men. 

Can I have your dealers number?

That must be some really good shit.

Hungry hippo
2 hours ago, PapaShango said:

My feeling exactly. Last thing we want to do is get a proper embarrassing result (which might happen anyway)! But folk suggesting Stewart in goals are off their rocker. We need to retain possession so much better and be aware of players running off of us. We really have nothing to lose as everyone expects an easy home win so might as well go out and try and play a bit.  

Definitely wouldn't play Stewart or a load of kids but rotating a bit is in the interest of the team. People like Halliday and Gino will be desperate for a game so could be assets in the side rather than weaken us. 

A bit of freshness should help for both games - not that I fancy our chances at Parkhead regardless of the lineup.

12 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

You mention 2,  others mentioned stone and Pollock. 

It won't happen anyway,  we'll play a strong team and try to do our best. 

It's the 4th league game of the season,  fitness should not be an issue and we have 5 subs. 

this

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Up against it big style. Requires a season best just to remain respectable. 

Not sure how we will cope with the inevitable whirlwind after a hard Thursday night 

Our big games are Zurich, St Johnstone then the LC against Killie. This game is irrelevant.

Gordon 

Sibbick (RB)

Neilson 

Rowles

Cochrane 

Gino

Halliday 

Haring

GMS

Grant

Boyce

For me out of that team only Gordon and Rowles would start on Thursday.

But I'm just a numpty on my third Budvar.

Don’t turn up…keep our players for Thursday and take a 3-0 defeat.

That defence will get torn a new one and it could be 4 or 5 by the hour mark.

12 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

Don’t turn up…keep our players for Thursday and take a 3-0 defeat.

That defence will get torn a new one and it could be 4 or 5 by the hour mark.

I can't even be arsed with it. You already know what we're walking into. I'd try Neilson in at CB and Sibbick in place of Haring. 

Allowayjambo1874

Halliday, GMS & Ginelly have had hardly any game time so they should come in, also agree that it might be a chance to play Sibbick in midfield almost a free hit for him.

22 hours ago, jonesy said:

Play your best team every match. If someone gets injured or suspended, then that's a chance for someone else to step up. Football can and should be fecking simple. Give it your best shot and if the other team is better or get the bounce of the ball then shake their hands and walk off with your head held high. 

Going into any other game there’s not much concern, but v Celtic or any other of similar quality, we start to look short on options.  

Right away we know we have defensive concerns.  In midfield, you could say the same if we consider we are right off the back of a Thursday night game and the threat of fatigue. 

I know the whole, “we’re taking our time” thing regards signings but having known the fixture list for some time, probably thinking we’d start the first three league games well, and then have Celtic right after our first euro tie, I thought there’d be more haste and determination to get players in ahead of Sunday seeing the ambition is to challenge.  

The midfield needs help, it needs options. We’ve got plenty ahead of them upfront and wide (arguably you could say we need another forward) but you’ve got one ball player in Grant.  

1 hour ago, Daveandal said:

Our big games are Zurich, St Johnstone then the LC against Killie. This game is irrelevant.

Gordon 

Sibbick (RB)

Neilson 

Rowles

Cochrane 

Gino

Halliday 

Haring

GMS

Grant

Boyce

For me out of that team only Gordon and Rowles would start on Thursday.

But I'm just a numpty on my third Budvar.

Cheers mate.

54 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Going into any other game there’s not much concern, but v Celtic or any other of similar quality, we start to look short on options.  

Right away we know we have defensive concerns.  In midfield, you could say the same if we consider we are right off the back of a Thursday night game and the threat of fatigue. 

I know the whole, “we’re taking our time” thing regards signings but having known the fixture list for some time, probably thinking we’d start the first three league games well, and then have Celtic right after our first euro tie, I thought there’d be more haste and determination to get players in ahead of Sunday seeing the ambition is to challenge.  

The midfield needs help, it needs options. We’ve got plenty ahead of them upfront and wide (arguably you could say we need another forward) but you’ve got one ball player in Grant.  

Spot on. Come on Jo.

Probably controversial but we get feck all in Glasgow. Play the B team and focus on Thursday🤣 Don't see the point risking injury

Celtic will do what they always do. They'll come out of the traps at 100MPH and try to have the game wrapped up by half time. We'll struggle with the pace of their front men, and even if we manage to get to half time without conceding, they have a whole raft of subs who are equally as good and fast as the starters that they'll bring on after an hour.  They won't lose many domestic games this season, especially at the potato bowl.  I'm not being negative, I'm just a realist 

Quite sad how little I care about playing Celtic away. Especially in the current circumstances sandwiched between 2 crucial European ties.

Would love to get a result and of course I don't want to take a tanking, but ultimately couldn't give a shit. Won't even attempt to watch it on a stream. 

3-0 Celtic.

28 minutes ago, Firefox said:

Celtic will do what they always do. They'll come out of the traps at 100MPH and try to have the game wrapped up by half time. We'll struggle with the pace of their front men, and even if we manage to get to half time without conceding, they have a whole raft of subs who are equally as good and fast as the starters that they'll bring on after an hour.  They won't lose many domestic games this season, especially at the potato bowl.  I'm not being negative, I'm just a realist 

I will suggest that the score will be 5-0 or even worse if Sibbick and Atkinson play.

Aussie Jambo

5-4-1 - so all out defending the first 45 minutes. We all know Smeltics tactics now hit em hard & fast first half and score as many goals as possible then sit back on it.

We then need to reshape 5-3-2 second half and go for it. 

Realistically Dark Heed is a shite of a place for any away team but if you have a go it’s not. I’m saying 1-1 if we can contain them and don’t give any players time on the ball. 

Mon the JTs. Heeds up after Thursday. 

Edited by Aussie Jambo
Nae specks and typos.

Aussie Jambo

Follow on from above..

But.. make sure to keep all our best players out of this for Thursday. 

Play everyone else in our squad bar Gordon. 

Never been less excited about a game in my life feels like some thing we just need to get out the way before getting back to the real business

Eight times a ****ing season we have to **** about with this nonsense 

kingantti1874
18 hours ago, cheetah said:

Strongest team every game or what's the ******* point in it all.

thats not how you manage a foot ball team  to get the best results when you’ve got 60 odd fixtures. Unless you want us crippled by injuries come February and Burnt out 

56 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

thats not how you manage a foot ball team  to get the best results when you’ve got 60 odd fixtures. Unless you want us crippled by injuries come February and Burnt out 

I am not the manager, I am a fan, I want to see the best team on the park every time we play, I want us to win or at least try.

All roads lead to Gorgie

I think the fringe players like Halliday, Ginnely, GMS will start and with the incentive in front of them to impress ourselves (Halliday) and possibly others in G and GMS cases I hope we try to get something. I can't see less than a 3-0 defeat though. 

kingantti1874
14 minutes ago, cheetah said:

I am not the manager, I am a fan, I want to see the best team on the park every time we play, I want us to win or at least try.

But your approach will see us lose more than we would otherwise.

I'd like to see some of the folk pushing for first team start get the chance against the arse cheek this weekend. They are I certified, play well, start against Zurich. And a shot across those who assume they start regardless. 

I'm no manager, but I think there is a decent bit of logic there. (As long as Stewart isn't in goal based on this)

31 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

But your approach will see us lose more than we would otherwise.

good job I'm not in charge then

13 hours ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Up against it big style. Requires a season best just to remain respectable. 

Not sure how we will cope with the inevitable whirlwind after a hard Thursday night 

Concerned how a doing might affect morale for Thursday 

10 minutes ago, Muppetboy said:

Concerned how a doing might affect morale for Thursday 

Thursday will take care if itself regardless of the result tomorrow in my opinion 

Bazzas right boot

Best team for the game,  best effort. 

That is what we'll do. 

If they players can't handle 3 games now in August then we shouldn't have signed them in the first place. 

We'll also need to defend set pieces better, I noticed  Zurich had too many free headers on Thurs. 

Edited by Bazzas right boot

11 hours ago, Firefox said:

Yes, their tactic seems to be to bring on 2-3 subs who will repeat the whirlwind start against already tiring opponents.

For me, the key to navigating and surviving these games is to retain possession and if it’s lost, work harder than them to win it back.

If our players allow themselves to be rattled and panicked and constantly concede possession, it’s going to be a long 90 mins.

Edited by PortyBeach

I'd like us to start with the formation we ended with in Switzerland. I'm certain we'd cause Celtic more problems than we usually do with containment 

I'm not saying "have a go" but the change and introduction of Forrest and Boyce stemmed the attacking flow of Zurich immediately. We also caused them some alarm which we hadn't done since the first 25.

If the outcome is the same, Celtic 3/4 Hearts 0, then we're no worse off. 

Gordon

Smith

Cochrane 

Rowles

Kingsley

Devlin

Halliday

McKay 

Forrest

Boyce

Shankland 

3 hours ago, Sooks said:

Never been less excited about a game in my life feels like some thing we just need to get out the way before getting back to the real business

Eight times a ****ing season we have to **** about with this nonsense 

Nailed it 👍

5 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

Nailed it 👍

It’s just totally tedious to be honest you build up a bit of momentum and get going then every few weeks there they are and you have to get a confidence sapping defeat from a team with ten times your resources 

I cant believe there are fans who like a small league because we play these teams more often ………….. masochists

21 minutes ago, Sooks said:

It’s just totally tedious to be honest you build up a bit of momentum and get going then every few weeks there they are and you have to get a confidence sapping defeat from a team with ten times your resources 

I cant believe there are fans who like a small league because we play these teams more often ………….. masochists

Fans bored, players bored, managers bored, TV company's bored, investment non existent.

Yes, let leave it as is ☹️☹️☹️

1 minute ago, Bull's-eye said:

Fans bored, players bored, managers bored, TV company's bored, investment non existent.

Yes, let leave it as is ☹️☹️☹️

It gives the clowns on BBC Scotland some thing to squeal with delight about as a ten million rated international skins some jobber from Lanarkshire or the like for the umpteenth time on the way to scoring their fifth ………….. utterly utterly tedious

pettigrewsstylist
19 hours ago, Marvin said:

1-1 is not an unrealistic probability even against 12 men. 

Crack pipe.

pettigrewsstylist
16 hours ago, sassenach said:

This is where I am. Just focus on the next game and try to win it.

We do, sometimes, get a result in Glasgow. Imagine the atmosphere on Thursday if we take something from Celtic.

Furthermore, for those advocating a weakened team to just roll over and get hammered, what if we end up losing a league position on goal difference?

Is that likely?

How about Gordon Shankland or Mackay stretchered off?

ScandinavianJambo

Going out with a week team is not good for morale. We need to field a strong team and give it our best. Even if unlikely, if we can nick a point I would be delighted. 

The Treasurer

There will be changes tomorrow, purely to freshen up the team or give players a rest. 

Not because we're throwing in the towel 

pettigrewsstylist
1 hour ago, sassenach said:

Injuries are part of the game, always have been.  Call me old fashioned, but I believe that the best available team should be fielded for every game.

What if we get hammered 6-0 at Celtic, still lose against Zurich, and miss out on a Euro spot for next season on goal difference?

You can guarantee that if we were playing Hibs tomorrow nobody would be advocating a weakened team. I'd get as much satisfaction from a result against Celtic as I would against Hibs.  I want to see us at least try, which requires a strong team.

We can beat hibs and we can beat Zurich at Tynie. No comparison.

Edited by pettigrewsstylist

Ex member of the SaS

Both sides of the weakened team talk has merit but it would be cheating the fans who pay to watch our best team try to beat THEM. Always feel we should take one game at a time and field our best players. The exception to the rule is a nothing game before a cup final etc.