***Official Celtic v Heart of Midlothian match thread***

Geoff Kilpatrick

Tom Hardy’s Dug
48 minutes ago, The Black Prince said:

I'm only new to watching Hearts (because I loved Kye Rowles at my club - CCM - and am interested to watch his career), but I'm a tad mystified as to what Neilson has done to have so many wanting him out. 

Genuine question - not trying to wind anyone up.

From my position of comparative ignorance and looking in objectively - strikes me he's done pretty well, just on the numbers. He's still young too so will be learning.

Managing a non-OF team in the SPL must be one of the hardest jobs there is, but if Hearts (or anyone else) is ever to combat the resources of the Glasgow teams it has to start with the manager - not least as any good emerging player will simply be bought by the OF or down south. It's the manager who creates the team culture and system that brings everyone up on the same rising tide.

If the team seem happy playing together then I'd suggest that's a damn good start. 

As for today, others have already said it: RN has a very tough assignment balancing the needs of the team (and fans) over the next two matches. I for one would always play my best possible team - mainly because I think that's the best way to build the harmony and culture that contributes to general improvement - not just this week but forever. 

Welcome to Hearts/JKB.

Its a parallel universe at times!

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sooks

• Bazzas right boot

• neilnunb

• Fozzyonthefence

Geoff Kilpatrick
1 hour ago, The Black Prince said:

I'm only new to watching Hearts (because I loved Kye Rowles at my club - CCM - and am interested to watch his career), but I'm a tad mystified as to what Neilson has done to have so many wanting him out. 

From my position of comparative ignorance and looking in objectively - strikes me he's done pretty well, just on the numbers. He's still young too so will be learning.

Managing a non-OF team in the SPL must be one of the hardest jobs there is, but if Hearts (or anyone else) is ever to combat the resources of the Glasgow teams it has to start with the manager - not least as any good emerging player will simply be bought by the OF or down south. It's the manager who creates the team culture and system that brings everyone up on the same rising tide.

If the team seem happy playing together then I'd suggest that's a damn good start. 

As for today, others have already said it: RN has a very tough assignment balancing the needs of the team (and fans) over the next two matches. I for one would always play my best possible team - mainly because I think that's the best way to build the harmony and culture that contributes to general improvement - not just this week but forever. 

Neilson managed us to our worst result in our history when we lost to Brora Rangers in the cup. The fact he survived that shows how much credit he needed to rebuild with the support after that.

Wonder if they'll continue the charitable tradition of throwing money at Hearts players in one corner of the ground?

I'm all for it.  Helps to reduce the wage gap.

I'll sleep through most of it but hope to waken to a scoreline of Celtic 0, Hearts 2.

My favourite was waking to the headine, Hibs Relegated, courtesy of Hamilton.

Beattie sinks Celtic was another beauty.

Watt-Zeefuik

It's been a long time since I expected less out of a Hearts match. That said, we're long overdue for a win at Parkhead. Maybe tomorrow's the day.

44 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

It's been a long time since I expected less out of a Hearts match. That said, we're long overdue for a win at Parkhead. Maybe tomorrow's the day.

Thing is, it’s only the fans really who think this is a foregone conclusion barely worth fretting about. I’m sure we’ll send our strongest team out trying 100% to get something. If we don’t (and I expect us to get beat, possibly by a margin) the league table doesn’t look as pretty as it should but it’s more down to chucking 2 points away at ER.

But the reality is that Thursday is a far more important one off game and as long as we keep performing against the ‘lesser’ teams and tucking them away most times, there is little or no long term damage if we get beastied.

Edited by JimmyCant

We all know what will probably happen. 

However I don't think we will see big changes like some are predicting.

Strongest team every match and go out to win. If the game runs away them you rest your McKays and shanklands etc

Might see neilson but I'd say that's due to an enforced change from the halkett situation.

Rocky jamboa

Although Thursday is a massive game, we should still be going out for it on Sunday. If professional footballers can't play 2 competitive games in a week then there's something wrong!

Strongest team every match.  In limited overs cricket there is a bowler being adopted whose function is to limit the last overs scoring  of the opposition.  They accept their role and train for it.

Josh Ginnelly is like a close out bowler in cricket or baseball whose role in to come on for a short blast at the end to tie down the opposition defensively.  Does not have energy for 90 min but lethal over a much shorter period of play.  

GMS now being adopted in a similar role from about 60 min.

WaikatoJambo
5 hours ago, The Black Prince said:

From my position of comparative ignorance and looking in objectively - strikes me he's done pretty well, just on the numbers. He's still young too so will be ...

There are people who won't move on from giving up a 2-0 lead over Hibs in the cup and people who won't move on from the Brora result.  Personally I think he has done better than expected, bar a few embarassments and is a big improvement on The Ian Cathro Experiment and Levein Mark II. Nobody is perfect. 

Watt-Zeefuik
3 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

Thing is, it’s only the fans really who think this is a foregone conclusion barely worth fretting about. I’m sure we’ll send our strongest team out trying 100% to get something. If we don’t (and I expect us to get beat, possibly by a margin) the league table doesn’t look as pretty as it should but it’s more down to chucking 2 points away at ER.

But the reality is that Thursday is a far more important one off game and as long as we keep performing against the ‘lesser’ teams and tucking them away most times, there is little or no long term damage if we get beastied.

That's it for me. I want to win at Parkhead, obviously. But the prize of staying fresh for Thursday is so great.  From one angle it seems like a heroic, exhausting exertion by our best players is likely to result in a 2-0 defeat, while a bus-parking exhibition of a 5-4-1 built strictly around discipline shape and our secondary players is likely to result in a 2-0 defeat.

I won't be mad at Robbie if he goes for either one. But we've got a winnable game at Tynecastle worth millions. Another loss at Parkhead is just noise.

17 hours ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

Crack pipe.

:laugh: Well I wanted to be optimistic. Knowing it could be a sore one today, maybe we should bring in some fringe players in and rest some for Thursday. 

I think we are in for a tough time. We haven’t won in 25 games at Parkhead what with dodgy refs and their wage bill being 10x more. Today I think will be 3 goals between us minimum but I would love it if we beat them or even knicked a point. Halket a huge miss. 

mickycameron98

It's going to be a sore one today. There's no hiding away from it. All you can ask for is to put a performance in, keep the heads and then focus on the big one on Thursday.

Morning Jambos.  I'm off to the scratcher soon after a superb roast dinner.

Whatever happens, we'll still be us and they'll still be them.  A sectarian, hatred filled club which continues to rely on their equally sectarian, hatred filled rivals for their purpose in life.

Only Hearts.

Portable Badger
6 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Neilson managed us to our worst result in our history when we lost to Brora Rangers in the cup. The fact he survived that shows how much credit he needed to rebuild with the support after that.

Were you advocating Liverpool sack Klopp after they were utterly destroyed 7-0 by shitty Aston Villa a couple of seasons back?

6 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

He's a German Dhim, dad has done a poor job letting him support FC Anarchy and the vicTims.

What a horrible thought …….. can you imagine the disappointment 

The Celtic and St Pauli thing makes me laugh any way because I have no idea about St Paulis credentials but Celtic are a globalised capitalist right wing leaning company owned by Tories 😄 

Francis Albert
25 minutes ago, Portable Badger said:

Were you advocating Liverpool sack Klopp after they were utterly destroyed 7-0 by shitty Aston Villa a couple of seasons back?

Aston Villa ... The Brora Rangers of English football?

Geoff Kilpatrick
29 minutes ago, Portable Badger said:

I always want Liverpool to do stupid things but then I am far from being a fan of the Mickeys.

Portable Badger
1 minute ago, Francis Albert said:

Liverpool were embarrassing that evening and the score line was completely Shan.

The Brora result has an abject humiliation and the performance was atrocious. Was I happy. - no friggin chance. Did it deserve to be a sackable offence?  No chance.   Every team has a complete shitstorm every so often/ out of the blue.  I just wish some people would move on from it that’s all.

7 hours ago, The Black Prince said:

Just a moronic element in our support who will not take to him. 

Pasquale for King

If he does play one up front today make it Ginnelly, but don’t play him in the middle v two CHs behind and a DM in front, play him wide so they have to split to mark him and play decent balls in behind for him.

Or go crazy and play two with Henderson or GMS both keeping their width and stretching them in behind. 
Surely that’s better than doing the same old thing and getting pumped anyway?

5 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

The league really wouldn’t look that bad, a point off 3rd having played Celtic and Hibs away from home. Beat St Johnstone next week and will likely be upto 3rd with a decent run of league fixtures to come. 

Pasquale for King
7 hours ago, The Black Prince said:

It’s a long story for another day, there are many threads on here that will explain it well though. 

BackOfTheNet

I’m just glad it’s not on TV or available for easy subscription. I’m not one for the illegal streams (the dodgy ads and crap quality the main reasons) so I’ll be giving it a miss. As even if I was watching, I suspect it would be through my fingers.

22 minutes ago, Portable Badger said:

Liverpool were embarrassing that evening and the score line was completely Shan.

The Brora result has an abject humiliation and the performance was atrocious. Was I happy. - no friggin chance. Did it deserve to be a sackable offence?  No chance.   Every team has a complete shitstorm every so often/ out of the blue.  I just wish some people would move on from it that’s all.

Don’t want to labour old points but the Brora result wasn’t out of the blue. 

Francis Albert

I can understand the view that it is worth to some extent sacrificing the Celtic game because there is more at stake on Thursday. But I hope this attitude does not prevail for other games while we are in Europe.

It is noticeable that participation in Europe especially when  extended over a few games is usually accompanied by a slump in the league. Our first relegation was in the Lokomotiv Leipzig season. We slipped from second the previous season to 6th in the Bayern Munich season. Aside from players carrying an injury we should play a full strength side. A better result than usual at Parkhead would be a boost for Thursday, a thrashing a downer.

(In any event how much is really at stake on Thursday? Europa League vs Europa Conference.)

Best side we can get together - a cricket score against them will do us no good for the season nor for Thursday

17 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

I can understand the view that it is worth to some extent sacrificing the Celtic game because there is more at stake on Thursday. But I hope this attitude does not prevail for other games while we are in Europe.

It is noticeable that participation in Europe especially when  extended over a few games is usually accompanied by a slump in the league. Our first relegation was in the Lokomotiv Leipzig season. We slipped from second the previous season to 6th in the Bayern Munich season. Aside from players carrying an injury we should play a full strength side. A better result than usual at Parkhead would be a boost for Thursday, a thrashing a downer.

(In any event how much is really at stake on Thursday? Europa League vs Europa Conference.)

No point in all the shouting from the top about eventually challenging if we are to sub-consciously concede today.  

Thing is, I don’t think we will or are going to. Neilson will put a strong team out, that’s my feeling.  Thursday is a big night for the occasion but let’s not overhype it either.  A smart shuffle of the pack over the next few days can keep us competitive in both games.  Would love nothing more than to shock this shower today.  

I hope we see it that way.  

8 hours ago, The Black Prince said:

Robbie has and is one of the greatest Hearts managers of all time. His record is unbelievable. 

Some of our stranger posters seem to want to shoot us in the foot constantly buy sacking people who make us successful. Be that Robbie, Ann and even now Savage (if you are saying our recruitment is slow you are having a go at Savage)

People claim its due to Brora, Hibs, defensive football, poor record in Glasgow, bad subs etc.

The narrative will change to suit the argument.

Today, depending on what he does,it will be to many changes, not enough changes, to defensive, to open left us exposed.

I posted this at the time but at the home St Mirren game last year a guy a few seats along was genuinely furious when we scored... as he had been having a go at Robbie. 

They are a tiny but vocal minority though.

8 hours ago, The Black Prince said:

Neilson has the best record of any Hearts manager in the last 40 years, with the exception of one who was sacked unbeaten after 10 games.  If you judged him selectively (like against just Hibs and the OF) then I doubt he'd be near the top.  He's never won at Easter Road.

The negativity about him stemmed from the fact he worked under Craig Levein in his first stint and Levein is often seen as his "mentor".  Levein also brought him through as a player.  They are not really similar in many ways though, one would play youngsters at the drop of a hat, the other rarely does.

He had our worst result in Europe in his first spell as boss, and our worst Scottish cup result ever in his current spell.  Others try to blame him for Hibs winning the cup, and a whole load of even more farcical/far-fetched stuff. 

You also have those who are never happy, and who also see the game on a higher level than everyone else (including those at the club).  

1 hour ago, Francis Albert said:

To be fair, was it not Brora that Villa knocked out in the QF on their way to winning the European Cup?

Edit - Ignore that, it was Dinamo Kiev.

Robbie has to balance the supporters expectations, on one hand we have the supporters that want us to win no matter who's playing, there's quite a lot of us and we've been getting all the joy lately. Then there's the other lot who are desperate for failure and want Robbie out the door, games like today give Robbie the chance to appease the crayon munchers without doing much harm. 

A Celtic win today unfortunately, but it will give some supporters a bit of joy in what's been a torrid few seasons for them.  😉

pettigrewsstylist
1 hour ago, Kiwidoug said:

Morning Jambos.  I'm off to the scratcher soon after a superb roast dinner.

Whatever happens, we'll still be us and they'll still be them.  A sectarian, hatred filled club which continues to rely on their equally sectarian, hatred filled rivals for their purpose in life.

Only Hearts.

Amen.

22 minutes ago, Daveandal said:

I posted this at the time but at the home St Mirren game last year a guy a few seats along was genuinely furious when we scored... as he had been having a go at Robbie. 

That 👆 is funny. I can just picture the scene! 😁

Mind you, I was once in the home end at Parkhead behind the goals and went out of my way to hurl pelters at John Hartson when he missed a sitter against us. I called him all the names under the sun with total impunity (apologies to all bald, fat, useless, leek-munching tw*ts with heids like thruppeny bits).

Maybe your boy was an undercover St Mirren fan giving Robbie pelters and was genuinely gutted when we scored.

An early start for me today.

In my half-sleep this morning, I had a vision of Hearts winning 2-0 today.

God, I hope it's true!  :flagwave:

25 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

Robbie has to balance the supporters expectations, on one hand we have the supporters that want us to win no matter who's playing, there's quite a lot of us and we've been getting all the joy lately. Then there's the other lot who are desperate for failure and want Robbie out the door, games like today give Robbie the chance to appease the crayon munchers without doing much harm. 

A Celtic win today unfortunately, but it will give some supporters a bit of joy in what's been a torrid few seasons for them.  😉

Robbie Neilson’s one remaining black mark for me is that he isn’t tactically brave enough a lot of the time. Big games in particular. However today isn’t a big game in comparison to Thursday so he gets a free pass to do what he thinks will leave us in the best position for that game.

Thursday is massive. He’ll be under scrutiny tactically. Every Hearts manager should be scrutinised. It’s not a bad thing. 

Shooter McGavin

I think we’ll get beat today, convincingly.

And I’ll probably steer clear of this thread to avoid all the weirdos who think we’re 2008-12 Barcelona and that you can win literally every single game if you “just have a go!”

That Celtic squad is worth about £100 million ffs…

What worried me on Thursday was not the result, we are still well in the tie, it was how disorganised we became as a unit and how unfit some players looked. Those issues are linked, one affects the other, and needs dealt with. We all have opinions of our best line-up, but we have a squad and a strong team will be fielded. That is not the concern. I want us to look like the  decent team we should be, and that is not just down players. The most important game is the one in front of us, and then Thursday.

2 hours ago, Valois No1 said:

I think we are in for a tough time. We haven’t won in 25 games at Parkhead what with dodgy refs and their wage bill being 10x more. Today I think will be 3 goals between us minimum but I would love it if we beat them or even knicked a point. Halket a huge miss. 

55 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

No point in all the shouting from the top about eventually challenging if we are to sub-consciously concede today.  

Thing is, I don’t think we will or are going to. Neilson will put a strong team out, that’s my feeling.  Thursday is a big night for the occasion but let’s not overhype it either.  A smart shuffle of the pack over the next few days can keep us competitive in both games.  Would love nothing more than to shock this shower today.  

I hope we see it that way.  

Agree with this. Strong team today and let Thursday take care of itself. I suspect they’ll have too much for us, but like it or not a lot of our bigger players are going to have to get used to playing twice a week.

Being able to run a load of miles will be just as important as what we do with the ball today. Youngest freshest legs today please. 

20 minutes ago, Morgan said:

An early start for me today.

In my half-sleep this morning, I had a vision of Hearts winning 2-0 today.

God, I hope it's true!  :flagwave:

Especially for you, Morgan:-

Ps ... I once woke up on the morning of a big game having dreamed of me being picked for the team and scoring a penalty ... so much so that I almost injured myself lashing out under the duvet.

We lost that day. 😁

Finlay James
8 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Sorry to piss on your parade but it was the players who lost the match, Neilson wasn’t on the pitch.  Also, it was a freak result at a time we were at the beginning of a major rebuild.

Neilson has completely changed the personnel and culture of the club and we are only going to go from strength to strength with him as head coach.  He has more that rebuilt his credit with the support.

27 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Robbie Neilson’s one remaining black mark for me is that he isn’t tactically brave enough a lot of the time. Big games in particular. However today isn’t a big game in comparison to Thursday so he gets a free pass to do what he thinks will leave us in the best position for that game.

Thursday is massive. He’ll be under scrutiny tactically. Every Hearts manager should be scrutinised. It’s not a bad thing. 

Aye, but there's scrutiny and then there's the level of 'scrutiny' which is unhealthy.

I once witnessed an auld bloke in the old main stand right behind the dug-out leaning over and yelling his lungs out at our then manager. I honestly feared for his well-being as his face was 10 shades darker than a Belisha Beacon, such was his rage.

4 minutes ago, The Black Prince said:

I have twice pulled a quad muscle shooting at goal in my sleep. 

.... but ... did you score? 😁

Fozzyonthefence
2 minutes ago, Finlay James said:

Sorry to piss on your parade but it was the players who lost the match, Neilson wasn’t on the pitch.  Also, it was a freak result at a time we were at the beginning of a major rebuild.

Neilson has completely changed the personnel and culture of the club and we are only going to go from strength to strength with him as head coach.  He has more that rebuilt his credit with the support.

So when we lose it’s the players that lose but when we win it’s Neilson that wins - am I doing this right?!  If only some on here backed the players as much as they back the manager.

Bazzas right boot
31 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Scrutiny is a bad thing when it's carried out by slavers and idiots and it is used as a reason to hide a personal dislike for our manager. 

It's also bad when it's the only thing a person does and they get all emotional and angry about it every day or week and it stops them enjoying the good things about Hearts. 

30 minutes ago, Skacelsid said:

What worried me on Thursday was not the result, we are still well in the tie, it was how disorganised we became as a unit and how unfit some players looked. Those issues are linked, one affects the other, and needs dealt with. We all have opinions of our best line-up, but we have a squad and a strong team will be fielded. That is not the concern. I want us to look like the  decent team we should be, and that is not just down players. The most important game is the one in front of us, and then Thursday.

Yeah I’d say that’s fair enough mate. 
Here’s one for everyone. Would you take a win today and a loss on Thursday or a loss today and a win and qualify on Thursday. 

I think I’d like a win today knowing we have the back up option for Europe. My thinking is that getting third again this year will guarantee good revenue again at the end of the season. 

Cherry on the cake is to win both HHGH