***Official Celtic v Heart of Midlothian match thread***

Geoff Kilpatrick

3 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

So we should look for better players than the ones we have and who just had our best season for years, got to a cup final, secured group stages European football, sold out season tickets but not a better manager?  

Why do you think we can get better players but not a better manager?  Seems to be a level of hypocrisy among some who always look for us to get better players in but can’t accept we can get a better manager.  Just like we don’t need Haaland or Salah to improve the playing squad we don’t need Pep or Klopp to improve the management side.

Apart from if you buy better players and it doesn't work out it doesn't really have a negative impact, maybe wasted some of your budget.

If you try a new manager and it doesn't work out it can all go to shit very quickly and you don't see European football for many years.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sooks

• Bazzas right boot

• neilnunb

• Fozzyonthefence

Shooter McGavin
3 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

So we should look for better players than the ones we have and who just had our best season for years, got to a cup final, secured group stages European football, sold out season tickets but not a better manager?  

Why do you think we can get better players but not a better manager?  Seems to be a level of hypocrisy among some who always look for us to get better players in but can’t accept we can get a better manager.  Just like we don’t need Haaland or Salah to improve the playing squad we don’t need Pep or Klopp to improve the management side.

I don’t know if you’re new to football or not mate but I’ll carry on this conversation cause it’s quite funny 😂

Okay, who would you replace Neilson with right now? Who’s this better manager you speak of?

stirlingshirejambo
50 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

I know a couple of folk going through,  Where's best place to park? 

I always park just off London Road on the right hand side about 10-15 minute walk from stadium Canmore street or Macduff street just where there’s a space. Quite easy to get away at the end

46 minutes ago, stuart500 said:

No matter how good our team are, they usually have better. We get no breaks from referees and they always seem to up their game against us (being in their eyes mini Huns). It's a tough ask for our players but we can get a reasonable result if we play our best. That might still be a close defeat. 

Tomorrow for me is about taking something from the game. That might not be points but if any of our players show that they can stand up and be counted in the toughest domestic fixture then that's a positive. 

Start with those we want to give this chance to. I'd risk Neilson and push Sibbick into midfield where we are going to need extra defensive cover along with Haring and Cammy.

Maybe upfront get some fresh legs surrounding Shankland. Gino has been reasonable against this mob before and would give us a pacy out ball target if we are being pinned back. Maybe Hendo too to run himself into the ground and leave fresher legs for McKay and Forrest on Thursday.

We have a squad and we need to balance the use of our best resources. 

Thursday is ultimately more important than the usual predictable loss to Sellick. But let's learn something on the way..

If you mess about with the team for a trip to Parkhead your setting up for a 6-0 humiliation. By the time the team finds its feet they’re 3-0 down.

For me the problem is managers (not just Robbie) over thinking these games, there’s no magic formula to get even a point. Just go there play your normal game and see what happens. No one really expects anything but a doing so why panic about it.

Fozzyonthefence
3 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

I don’t know if you’re new to football or not mate but I’ll carry on this conversation cause it’s quite funny 😂

Okay, who would you replace Neilson with right now? Who’s this better manager you speak of?

Who’s all the better players we can afford within budget?  Obviously we can’t replace Neilson because he’s the best manager on the planet right?

Anyway I’m not suggesting we replace Neilson right now, I was just highlighting the irony of your argument.  However, if you don’t think we can get a better manager I’d suggest you’re the one new to football. 

9 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

I agree. We should be looking to upgrade on Joe Savage because that's logical.  I hope we are looking at better benefactors than James Anderson because that's what follows looking for a better backup GK.  We could even look for a better league so we don't need to play shite four times a season. 

Onwards and upwards.

Shooter McGavin
2 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Who’s all the better players we can afford within budget?  Obviously we can’t replace Neilson because he’s the best manager on the planet right?

Anyway I’m not suggesting we replace Neilson right now, I was just highlighting the irony of your argument.  However, if you don’t think we can get a better manager I’d suggest you’re the one new to football. 

Joe Savage is the one to ask for that info buddy, I’m sure he’ll have a pool of players he’s currently tracking.

He isn’t the best manager on the planet,

but he does have a higher win % than every single Hearts manager in history except George Burley and Peter Houston (1 game, 1 win).

So he’s arguably in the top 2 managers in our history, has taken us to cup finals, we’ve just sold out season tickets for the first time in 16 years, our first European football for 6 years plus the bonus of guaranteed group stages, we made a very healthy amount of money last year that may very well allow us to pull away from everyone in the league except the OF.

But aye, a new manager is certainly a top priority and I’m sure we’re looking for a replacement as we speak 😂 

I hope as you read all of that, it dawns on you how silly you sound.

You did also stated, and I quote, “we can get a better manager” so I’m still waiting to hear who this better manager is.

Would definitely rest Shankland and Mckay plus  leave out Kingsley and Smith for this one,on the flip side I would definitely start Ginelly GMS and Halliday  

12 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

If you mess about with the team for a trip to Parkhead your setting up for a 6-0 humiliation. By the time the team finds its feet they’re 3-0 down.

For me the problem is managers (not just Robbie) over thinking these games, there’s no magic formula to get even a point. Just go there play your normal game and see what happens. No one really expects anything but a doing so why panic about it.

Personally I'd happily take a 6 nil defeat tomorrow if it meant beating Zurich on Thursday. Of course,great if we can win both, but realistically that's a long shot.

Big dilemma for Robbie is playing and tiring out all our best players tomorrow and reducing our chances on Thursday. 

Three points for a win tomorrow or group stage Europa League for a win on Thursday. We can recover from a defeat in the league tomorrow and still finish 3rd. If we lose Thursday we are out the EL but have the consolation of EC. 

It's actually a pretty good position to be in but being greedy I want EL group this season and hopefully some better signings to boost our chances in future visits to Darkheid. 

2 minutes ago, ramrod said:

Would definitely rest Shankland and Mckay plus  leave out Kingsley and Smith for this one,on the flip side I would definitely start Ginelly GMS and Halliday  

The very definition of lambs to the slaughter….

Just now, NB GIN said:

Gordon

Smith Kingsley Rowles Cochrane 

Sibbick Haring 

Forrest Boyce mackay 

Shanks 

Or devlin ? 

Fozzyonthefence
7 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Joe Savage is the one to ask for that info buddy, I’m sure he’ll have a pool of players he’s currently tracking.

but he does have a higher win % than every single Hearts manager in history except George Burley and Peter Houston (1 game, 1 win).

So he’s arguably in the top 2 managers in our history, has taken us to cup finals, we’ve just sold out season tickets for the first time in 16 years, our first European football for 6 years plus the bonus of guaranteed group stages, we made a very healthy amount of money last year that may very well allow us to pull away from everyone in the league except the OF.

But aye, a new manager is certainly a top priority and I’m sure we’re looking for a replacement as we speak 😂 

You did also stated, and I quote, “we can get a better manager” so I’m still waiting to hear who this better manager is.

You want better players but aren’t prepared to name any, hiding behind the other people’s job to do that yet when someone suggests there might be better managers out there you demand they name who should replace him.  You don’t understand irony do you?🤣🤣

And as for suggesting a manager who hasn’t won a single major trophy might be one our top two managers in our history you’re really not doing yourself any favours there!  

11 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

The very definition of lambs to the slaughter….

We are ****ed tomorrow anyway m8, they are in shit hot form and will muller us full team or not .

12 minutes ago, stuart500 said:

Personally I'd happily take a 6 nil defeat tomorrow if it meant beating Zurich on Thursday. Of course,great if we can win both, but realistically that's a long shot.

Big dilemma for Robbie is playing and tiring out all our best players tomorrow and reducing our chances on Thursday. 

Three points for a win tomorrow or group stage Europa League for a win on Thursday. We can recover from a defeat in the league tomorrow and still finish 3rd. If we lose Thursday we are out the EL but have the consolation of EC. 

It's actually a pretty good position to be in but being greedy I want EL group this season and hopefully some better signings to boost our chances in future visits to Darkheid. 

I not disagreeing with you, I think it’s a dilemma for him. He knows as we do a weakened team gets hammered, a weakened team with experimental positions gets humiliated. But Thursday matters the most so can he deal with a hammering in the hope we get through Thursday, what if we lose both? I guess that’s why he’s the manager but I don’t envy his choices tomorrow.

5 minutes ago, ramrod said:

We are ****ed tomorrow anyway m8, they are in shit hot form and will muller us full team or not .

They might have an off day 😂

3 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

I not disagreeing with you, I think it’s a dilemma for him. He knows as we do a weakened team gets hammered, a weakened team with experimental positions gets humiliated. But Thursday matters the most so can he deal with a hammering in the hope we get through Thursday, what if we lose both? I guess that’s why he’s the manager but I don’t envy his choices tomorrow.

Fair enough Rudy. We could quite easily lose both games. I think we still have a lot of work to do in strengthening the squad where we have enough quality to compete in all the competitions. We have come a long way since being chucked out the top league but work very much in progress. 

Hopefully we can take something tomorrow even if it's just learning something about the depth of our squad and where we must improve.

Shooter McGavin
21 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

You want better players but aren’t prepared to name any, hiding behind the other people’s job to do that yet when someone suggests there might be better managers out there you demand they name who should replace him.  You don’t understand irony do you?🤣🤣

And as for suggesting a manager who hasn’t won a single major trophy might be one our top two managers in our history you’re really not doing yourself any favours there!  

You asked me if I think we should be looking at better players, I said yes.

“Yes I think we should be looking at better players” does not translate to “I know a bunch of players we should sign”

You stated that “we can get a better manager” I’ve asked you who this better manager is, and you can’t produce one.

He’s got the 2nd highest win % ffs 😂, at this rate he could win the Europa and you’d still be going “Think we can do better but I’m not going to bother finding out who better is” 

Just tedious, mate.

Edited by Shooter McGavin

12 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

They might have an off day 😂

Well Rangers did today , they were horrendous so you never know, in all serious though we are miles away from them atm, absolutely hate these games in Glasgow, they are always up for it against us unfortunately. 

1 hour ago, Poseidon said:

The sh**house is in a sh**hole . wouldn't leave a car within about 3miles of the place

Seaside Dave
1 hour ago, Poseidon said:

Stick it through the front door and give the keys to boy at the desk 

Edited by Seaside Dave
Miswording

Jambof3tornado

Thursday is more important than tomorrow. Defeatist or realist I'm not sure.

Rest any with niggles and try not to concede in the 1st ten minutes!!

The longer it stays celtic nil the more frustrating it'll be for them.

Pity other teams seem to have a bit of a go from time to time.

13 minutes ago, ramrod said:

Well Rangers did today , they were horrendous so you never know, in all serious though we are miles away from them atm, absolutely hate these games in Glasgow, they are always up for it against us unfortunately. 

No way are Celtic getting two men sent off…..

Fozzyonthefence
2 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

You asked me if I think we should be looking at better players, I said yes.

“Yes I think we should be looking at better players” does not translate to “I know a bunch of players we should sign”

You stated that “we can get a better manager” I’ve asked you who this better manager is, and you can’t produce one.

He’s got the 2nd highest win % ffs 😂, at this rate he could win the Europa and you’d still be going “Think we can do better but I’m not going to bother finding out who better is” 

Just tedious, mate.

You expect me to say what managers would be better when you’re not prepared to name the better players?!   The very fact that you’re suggesting we should be looking for better players obviously means you think there are better players out there. 

Anyway, as surprising as this may be, it’s not my job to come up with a list of alternative, available and affordable managers, especially when there is no vacancy at present.  We have a team of people to do this and I’m sure they’ll have a list of names when the time comes, some we will have heard of, some probably not and probably some surprises too.  How many people had Neilson as the best available manager to replace Locke?  You were probably disappointed when we appointed him first time round?

Neilson has a good record, I’m not disputing that, nor am I suggesting this is the time to get rid.  However, I don’t feel the need to use a load of statistics from a couple of seasons in the lower divisions as some sort of comfort blanket but bash on if you need that. 

Fwiw I think we can always do better whether it’s players or managers but you seem resigned to only the possibility of better players.  I find that strange.  

You’re right though, it is tedious, so back on track - another Glasgow pumping on the cards tomorrow unfortunately with more than likely the usual overly cautious approach.  Won’t define our season though. 

It’s not a whinge but the agonising over what the team should be shows our lack of depth and how long it takes to build that depth.

There’s not even a couple of emerging young players you’d be happy to see start because they don’t get minutes for experience.  

I actually think we have a few permutations for upfront and wide, the concern is defence and midfield.  

33 minutes ago, stuart500 said:

Fair enough Rudy. We could quite easily lose both games. I think we still have a lot of work to do in strengthening the squad where we have enough quality to compete in all the competitions. We have come a long way since being chucked out the top league but work very much in progress. 

Hopefully we can take something tomorrow even if it's just learning something about the depth of our squad and where we must improve.

It’s a different topic but the recruitment hasn’t yet filled the gaps we need even for this season, time left  I suppose. Anyway here’s hoping we get a surprise tomorrow.

Hectormasson
1 hour ago, Rudy T said:

just hope we can get to the stage we can play the arse cheeks 4 times instead of 8 times a season, always a chance when we play them fewer times, too often 8 times, fans be sick of the  defeats,  look forward to playing them if it was less, prob never happen though,🇶🇦🇶🇦🇶🇦🇶🇦🇶🇦🇶🇦🇶🇦🇶🇦

26 minutes ago, ramrod said:

I think Celtic are miles ahead of Rangers as well, albeit on the limited amount I’ve seen of them both. Rangers were far from impressive today with 11 men obviously after that they’ve got little choice but to sit in and do what they could. Hibs seem to be celebrating but filp that and if you went two men down against the OF youd do well not to lose another 3.

Fozzyonthefence
6 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

I think Celtic are miles ahead of Rangers as well, albeit on the limited amount I’ve seen of them both. Rangers were far from impressive today with 11 men obviously after that they’ve got little choice but to sit in and do what they could. Hibs seem to be celebrating but filp that and if you went two men down against the OF youd do well not to lose another 3.

I didn’t see it - were they celebrating winning 2-2 today against 9 men?

will-i-am-a-jambo
1 hour ago, Shooter McGavin said:

The Robbie oot brigade are a funny lot. They don't like him but when pushed to ask for a better replacement they can't think of one and cite 'its no ma joab to find wan!'

2 minutes ago, will-i-am-a-jambo said:

The Robbie oot brigade are a funny lot. They don't like him but when pushed to ask for a better replacement they can't think of one and cite 'its no ma joab to find wan!'

Wasn’t that long ago we’d apparently made a mistake letting Jack Ross go to Hibs!!

will-i-am-a-jambo
1 minute ago, Leisham38 said:

Wasn’t that long ago we’d apparently made a mistake letting Jack Ross go to Hibs!!

Exactly, some were even wanting Tommy Wright!

2 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

Ginnelly starting.  McKay rested.

I hope.  Maybe even Forrest for Shankland.

good shouts. I reckon Mackay may well be rested. For me Ginelly plays 100% to get some minutes 

18 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

I didn’t see it - were they celebrating winning 2-2 today against 9 men?

Obviously, don’t you know you get 3 points at Easter Road for a last minute equaliser😀

Perhaps it’s alcohol induced but it hasn’t escaped my notice that a win tomorrow puts us joint top of the league. Just saying🧐

We were poor defensively on Thursday they had numerous chances but CG and poor finishing kept us in the tie. Unfortunately Celtic won’t be as accommodating tomorrow, I can’t see anything other than a 4 or 5 goal hammering. Halket is a huge loss plus you would expect others to be rested. If he rests Craig it will be carnage I’m afraid but let’s hope we’re all wrong and we do well….🤞

Pasquale for King
11 minutes ago, Dsjambo said:

We were poor defensively on Thursday they had numerous chances but CG and poor finishing kept us in the tie. Unfortunately Celtic won’t be as accommodating tomorrow, I can’t see anything other than a 4 or 5 goal hammering. Halket is a huge loss plus you would expect others to be rested. If he rests Craig it will be carnage I’m afraid but let’s hope we’re all wrong and we do well….🤞

He simply can’t rest Gordon or it could be double figures. 

7 hours ago, Pauli-Pauli said:

My first letter on the forum. My dad was Hearts fan but I grew up in the Hamburg area supporting St. Pauli. Hope for a good game tomorrow, no winner is what I hope for.

Pardon me my friend , I have obviously picked you up wrong …………. why are you hoping we do not win ?

I have definitely picked you up wrongly I think as I have had a few sooks tonight but it read as though you want a draw because your dad supports Hearts but as a St Pauli supporter you quite like Celtic

I look forward to looking like a total idiot for mis understanding your post 😄 

pettigrewsstylist
16 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

He simply can’t rest Gordon or it could be double figures. 

In which case we need to sign a goalkeeper and get rid.

On 19/08/2022 at 01:12, Bongo 1874 said:

Gordon

Smith  Neilson Kingsley Cochrane 

Sibbick 

Haring      Devlin 

Forrest                           Ginnelly

Henderson 

This is the team i would go with Celtic will start fast all high tempo. 

Being difficult to break down and offering counter attacking breaks is what Robbie will try, this also allows us to bring on Boyce, Shankland, Mckay, fresh and later on in game. 

Pasquale for King
20 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

In which case we need to sign a goalkeeper and get rid.

I think most of us agree on that. 

The Black Prince

I'm only new to watching Hearts (because I loved Kye Rowles at my club - CCM - and am interested to watch his career), but I'm a tad mystified as to what Neilson has done to have so many wanting him out. 

Genuine question - not trying to wind anyone up.

From my position of comparative ignorance and looking in objectively - strikes me he's done pretty well, just on the numbers. He's still young too so will be learning.

Managing a non-OF team in the SPL must be one of the hardest jobs there is, but if Hearts (or anyone else) is ever to combat the resources of the Glasgow teams it has to start with the manager - not least as any good emerging player will simply be bought by the OF or down south. It's the manager who creates the team culture and system that brings everyone up on the same rising tide.

If the team seem happy playing together then I'd suggest that's a damn good start. 

As for today, others have already said it: RN has a very tough assignment balancing the needs of the team (and fans) over the next two matches. I for one would always play my best possible team - mainly because I think that's the best way to build the harmony and culture that contributes to general improvement - not just this week but forever. 

It's looking like a defeat.   You just never know!    Might get a surprise result.    1-0 close match or a 1-1.

Gordon 

Sibbick Kingsley Rowles 

Smith Devlin Haring Cochrane 

Grant Shankland McKay

Or

Gordon

Smith Kingsley Rowles Cochrane 

Devlin Haring 

Forrest Grant McKay

Shankland

I'd prefer the 4231 for this match.   Not to have a go, just to counter balance their formation.    The midfield needs filled rather than worry about the flanks. 

Edited by HMFC01

Doctor FinnBarr
1 hour ago, Sooks said:

Pardon me my friend , I have obviously picked you up wrong …………. why are you hoping we do not win ?

I have definitely picked you up wrongly I think as I have had a few sooks tonight but it read as though you want a draw because your dad supports Hearts but as a St Pauli supporter you quite like Celtic

I look forward to looking like a total idiot for mis understanding your post 😄 

He's a German Dhim, dad has done a poor job letting him support FC Anarchy and the vicTims.