Edinburgh refuse/bin collection strike starts this week...

Gards

jack D and coke
3 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I seem to recall or at least I think I recall, right at the start of the North Sea Oil boom, hearing predictions that the UK would be one of the wealthest countries in the world and our standard of living would be amongst the highest in the world.

I'm still waiting.

Our imperial masters have ran the place into the ground jim. 

6F75E768-CD68-49ED-B8DF-598FF9829ADF.jpeg

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• frankblack

• Mikey1874

• The Real Maroonblood

• The Mighty Thor

The Hogfather
On 21/08/2022 at 10:36, FFSJohn said:

Those on strike are a disgrace to the city, the place is a midden.

On 21/08/2022 at 18:56, frankblack said:

To me its time this was nipped in the bud as waste collection is an essential service and not a political pawn.

I was at my local Tesco yesterday and noticed that the recycling area had barriers fencing it off.

We need to put a stop to the militant unions either at central government level through legislation or have the council change the contracts of workers to non-strike as per the NHS staff.  If that doesn't work then its time to outsource the work to agencies who will not employ union staff.

Have the SNP even come out and explained their position here as the people who control the budgets for the local authorities?  Their silence is deafening - its almost as if they want people to believe its Westminster's fault.

Two of the most Tory posts I’ve seen on here. 

The current strike isn’t just for the benefit of binmen, it’s a targeted strike action to increase the offer made to all CEC workers, regardless of their role or responsibility. 

maroonlegions
5 minutes ago, The Hogfather said:

The current strike isn’t just for the benefit of binmen, it’s a targeted strike action to increase the offer made to all CEC workers, regardless of their role or responsibility. 

Tories, eh, NEVER in the real world and its NEVER their fault, always the victims..

The Hogfather
13 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:

Tories, eh, NEVER in the real world and its NEVER their fault, always the victims..

Unless I'm mistaken, COSLA is SNP-led and they've been dragging their heels over the negotiation for months now.

18 minutes ago, The Hogfather said:

Its holding the taxpayers to ransom.

They won't get a permanent wage rise for the cost of living but at best might get a lump sum.

The council has a duty to provide the services to the residents or should step down.

1 minute ago, The Hogfather said:

Unless I'm mistaken, COSLA is SNP-led and they've been dragging their heels over the negotiation for months now.

Yip.  Local authorities funded from Scottish budget at Holyrood.

37 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Maggie spunked most of that keeping millions on the dole in the 80's.

The Hogfather
1 minute ago, frankblack said:

They won't get a permanent wage rise for the cost of living but at best might get a lump sum.

The council has a duty to provide the services to the residents or should step down.

COSLA are the ones holding the taxpayer to ransom as it's their inability to put together an equitable package that has let the situation get to where it has. The council has a duty to both its residents and to the people who provide the services. 

The Real Maroonblood
44 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

What a disgrace these scumbags are.

Ainsley Harriott

Imagine how upset folks will be at next year's council tax bill if the councils bend and give every worker an inflation matched payrise 

Pasquale for King
50 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Indeed, and it will die soon, can’t wait. 

So labour voted with Tories against the 5% payrise , and only wanted to offer 3.5%. just as well the deciding vote at 16/16 was the SNP and it was votes through 17/16. Sarwar you better not go near a picket line or you'll be slapped.

19 minutes ago, The Hogfather said:

COSLA offered 5% , the Tories and labour voted for 3.5% and against 5%. The SNP government have given £140m extra to the council budgets.

4 hours ago, Jeffros Furios said:

I would imagine the wage dispute was also an issue for the previous administration,  and North Lanarkshire and Glasgow bin men are next to strike .

This obsessive  need to blame each other and not deal with the issue is childish .

Someone should ask Angus Robertson what the SNP led council did to deal with the issue . 

****in arseholes .

Offered 5% .

The Hogfather
10 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

So labour voted with Tories against the 5% payrise , and only wanted to offer 3.5%. just as well the deciding vote at 16/16 was the SNP and it was votes through 17/16. Sarwar you better not go near a picket line or you'll be slapped.

The unions voted against the offer, not the Tories or Labour.

5% isn't going to be accepted by the members either.

Edited by The Hogfather

8 minutes ago, The Hogfather said:

The unions voted against the offer, not the Tories or Labour.

5% isn't going to be accepted by the members either.

They won't get offered more in a permanent rise.  The unions are taking the piss.

The Hogfather

They won't get offered more in a permanent rise.  The unions are taking the piss.

Unions are doing their best to look after their members. 5% is an insult when inflation is up in double figures.

32 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I don't really get your constant takes about permanent pay rises for cost of living increases. 

Inflation (ie a period in which prices are rising) is already double digits and forecast to go a high as 18% next year. I haven't seen any forecasts predicting deflation (ie a period of falling prices). 

Even if you believe Team Transitory and inflation does fall there still will be inflation - ie prices will still rise but at a lower rate. 

As far as I can tell the workers are only asking for their pay to keep up with cost of living. Without a pay rise or falling prices in the future they are effectively taking a permanent pay cut. Why should they accept a permanent reduction in their spending power? 

Pasquale for King
10 minutes ago, dtgj said:

I don't really get your constant takes about permanent pay rises for cost of living increases. 

Inflation (ie a period in which prices are rising) is already double digits and forecast to go a high as 18% next year. I haven't seen any forecasts predicting deflation (ie a period of falling prices). 

Even if you believe Team Transitory and inflation does fall there still will be inflation - ie prices will still rise but at a lower rate. 

As far as I can tell the workers are only asking for their pay to keep up with cost of living. Without a pay rise or falling prices in the future they are effectively taking a permanent pay cut. Why should they accept a permanent reduction in their spending power? 

Spot on, when executives are getting a 39% average pay rise. 
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/business/2022/aug/22/average-pay-ftse-100-chiefs-jumps

Edited by Pasquale for King
Link

The Real Maroonblood
18 minutes ago, dtgj said:

Fair comment. 

52 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Imagine how upset folks will be at next year's council tax bill if the councils bend and give every worker an inflation matched payrise 

There is another option they; they abandon vanity projects like the loss making trams and the never to be used fixed cycleways. 

47 minutes ago, The Hogfather said:

Unions are doing their best to look after their members. 5% is an insult when inflation is up in double figures.

Blackmail of the council tax payers by withholding the services paid for two weeks minimum is spiteful.  Many of those won't be getting any rise yet still have to pay their wages for sitting on their arses.

What they will have to accept is a small permanent rise possibly with an adhoc payment for lower paid staff.

The Hogfather
4 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Blackmail of the council tax payers by withholding the services paid for two weeks minimum is spiteful.  Many of those won't be getting any rise yet still have to pay their wages for sitting on their arses.

What they will have to accept is a small permanent rise possibly with an adhoc payment for lower paid staff.

COSLA had every chance to put forward an equitable solution when the last pay deal was put forward, which they didn't take. Sadly you'll have to face up to the fact that people having enough money to see them through the worst cost of living crisis in living memory is more important than your bins being collected. Sorry.

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

COSLA offered 5% , the Tories and labour voted for 3.5% and against 5%. The SNP government have given £140m extra to the council budgets.

Which equates to 3 5%.

30 minutes ago, The Hogfather said:

COSLA had every chance to put forward an equitable solution when the last pay deal was put forward, which they didn't take. Sadly you'll have to face up to the fact that people having enough money to see them through the worst cost of living crisis in living memory is more important than your bins being collected. Sorry.

The militant unions may hold out for 15-25% but they ain't getting a permanent rise.

They will have to accept an adhoc payment for lower paid staff only.  Otherwise everyone will want the same and inflation will keep rising, and these clowns will be back on strike again for 45%.

The Hogfather

The militant unions may hold out for 15-25% but they ain't getting a permanent rise.

They will have to accept an adhoc payment for lower paid staff only.  Otherwise everyone will want the same and inflation will keep rising, and these clowns will be back on strike again for 45%.

No idea why you've such a grievance against working class people being well paid for the work they do. What was in those bins that you needed disposed of so badly?

2 hours ago, The Hogfather said:

The bottom line is they offered 2%. They didn't at that stage ask for more money. Presumably with Sturgeon asking for an offer of 5% to be made it would have been given.

I think 5% would have been accepted. But 3 months later with things getting worse I think it will be rejected. 

The Hogfather
Just now, Mikey1874 said:

The bottom line is they offered 2%. They didn't at that stage ask for more money. Presumably with Sturgeon asking for an offer of 5% to be made it would have been given.

I think 5% would have been accepted. But 3 months later with things getting worse I think it will be rejected. 

They offered 2% then took any further discussions off the agenda when it was rejected. They've made a right cock of these negotiations and it's no surprise the unions aren't having any of their nonsense.

55 minutes ago, frankblack said:

They won't be paid for the days they are on strike.

4 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

They won't be paid for the days they are on strike.

Apparently you get £70 a day from the union while in strike.

Just now, Sir Craig Gordon said:

Apparently you get £70 a day from the union while in strike.

Their own money then. Not the money of the payers of council tax.

23 minutes ago, The Hogfather said:

They offered 2% then took any further discussions off the agenda when it was rejected. They've made a right cock of these negotiations and it's no surprise the unions aren't having any of their nonsense.

If they had offered 5% on 1st of April we wouldn’t be in this mess 

The Hogfather
9 minutes ago, theshed said:

If they had offered 5% on 1st of April we wouldn’t be in this mess 

For the sake of the workforce, I'm glad they didn't. Because 5% is paltry compared to the cost of living crisis.

That thing you do
9 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

And COSLA funded by Scottish government through grants so she's wrong.

True but its run independently of government though at arms length so she cant get involved/intervene. Or shouldn't.

Ainsley Harriott
2 hours ago, Stuart Lyon said:

There is another option they; they abandon vanity projects like the loss making trams and the never to be used fixed cycleways. 

,👍

The Mighty Thor
4 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

What happened in 1979 🤔

Malinga the Swinga
46 minutes ago, That thing you do said:

True but its run independently of government though at arms length so she cant get involved/intervene. Or shouldn't.

As are energy companies but she is demanding Westminster intervene/get involved.

Classic double standards from someone whose neck is made of brass.

jack D and coke
3 minutes ago, graygo said:

I’ve seen plenty posts on social media blaming things like the trams for the binmen strike etc. 

Its similar to the covid thing for me I just want this stuff sorted in Edinburgh with no point scoring. 
Nobody is right or wrong just get together and try sort it out. For **** sake. 
There needs to be some effort to stop people littering too. 
I struggle to think of something sort of trivial that boils my water more than people chucking their shit about. 

2 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

I’ve seen plenty posts on social media blaming things like the trams for the binmen strike etc. 

Its similar to the covid thing for me I just want this stuff sorted in Edinburgh with no point scoring. 
Nobody is right or wrong just get together and try sort it out. For **** sake. 
There needs to be some effort to stop people littering too. 
I struggle to think of something sort of trivial that boils my water more than people chucking their shit about. 

That wasn't point scoring mate, that was righting a wrong, a wrong that few jumped on board with.

jack D and coke
Just now, graygo said:

That wasn't point scoring mate, that was righting a wrong, a wrong that few jumped on board with.

I didn’t mean that to come over that way bud I wasn’t having a pop at all apologies. 
I just meant I’d like it sorted asap 👍🏼

I was in the city centre today (Princes' Street, Royal Mile, George the IV Bridge...) and it truly was abysmal.

Filth spewing out around every bin and, at a bus stop on G the IV B, rats. 🐀 

6 hours ago, graygo said:

I assume people are talking about the cost to get the trams up and running rather than their operational performance. Regardless their operational profit in 2018 as per that article isn’t really relevant for todays council budgets. 

John Findlay
1 hour ago, Stuart Lyon said:

don't think the article you quoted takes account of everything.I

Trams.png

And it's back over the net to Graygo

Surely the 'rubbish piling up' is at least partly down to selfish, ignorant arseholes who cannot be bothered to take their shite home with them?

I'm not trying to defend the council, government or whomever else might be deemed to be responsible but, FFS, if a bin is crammed to overflowing...don't try and pack something more in or leave your cardboard coffee cup teetering on the top.

7 hours ago, martoon said:

I was in the city centre today (Princes' Street, Royal Mile, George the IV Bridge...) and it truly was abysmal.

Filth spewing out around every bin and, at a bus stop on G the IV B, rats. 🐀 

Hopefully that will go around city chambers, so those arseholes might be forced to act.