Edinburgh refuse/bin collection strike starts this week...

Gards

Jeffros Furios
5 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Is that the entry level wage?

You rate the salary only against one single income breadwinner in a family.  What about for those without a family or with multiple incomes in the household?

Plenty of them  will be the only household wage ,  

Do you earn less than the average wage ? 

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• frankblack

• Mikey1874

• The Real Maroonblood

• The Mighty Thor

Couldn't help but notice that all of the street bins in and around the Colinton area appear to be freshly emptied and that most others in the more.. eh.. artisan areas appear to be awaiting attention.  ;)

23 minutes ago, Jeffros Furios said:

Plenty of them  will be the only household wage ,  

Do you earn less than the average wage ? 

Tbf you are losing the argument due to using average wage. Use the national living wage rather than average and your point will come across better. The reason why I say this is it is an average so people will earn under the average and it will be skewed by people on massive salaries. From what you have posted you want them raised to the average salary in the UK fyi the latest figures I found was £38.6k if we assume they are on £25k just now that is an increase of almost 55% to give them the average wage. If you give them that the average wage will then increase and it will be a constantly moving target and then others such as nurses will want (and deserve) it.

Fyi the national living wage as of April 2022 is 9.50 per hour or just under £20k per year. A rough estimate from me assuming 10% inflation would increase to £10.45 per hour or £22k per year. These assume 40 hours per week and 52 weeks. Also the rough estimate by myself was to increase the national living wage by 10%.

FYI I believe people need suitable raises to deal with the increased cost of living to help them but when arguing the point you need to choose a more suitable argument.

6 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Couldn't help but notice that all of the street bins in and around the Colinton area appear to be freshly emptied and that most others in the more.. eh.. artisan areas appear to be awaiting attention.  ;)

That wouldn't be the areas the councillors live in would it?

Jeffros Furios
28 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

Tbf you are losing the argument due to using average wage. Use the national living wage rather than average and your point will come across better. The reason why I say this is it is an average so people will earn under the average and it will be skewed by people on massive salaries. From what you have posted you want them raised to the average salary in the UK fyi the latest figures I found was £38.6k if we assume they are on £25k just now that is an increase of almost 55% to give them the average wage. If you give them that the average wage will then increase and it will be a constantly moving target and then others such as nurses will want (and deserve) it.

Fyi the national living wage as of April 2022 is 9.50 per hour or just under £20k per year. A rough estimate from me assuming 10% inflation would increase to £10.45 per hour or £22k per year. These assume 40 hours per week and 52 weeks. Also the rough estimate by myself was to increase the national living wage by 10%.

FYI I believe people need suitable raises to deal with the increased cost of living to help them but when arguing the point you need to choose a more suitable argument.

The point I'm making is £21 or £22k is a pretty shite wage and if your the only earner in the family you are going to struggle .

Harry Potter
1 hour ago, Jeffros Furios said:

They earn less than the average wage  which is approx  £25,000 a year .

Can't be certain of exact figures but £21 to £24k a year for a guy with a family isn't a good wage .

Min wage is 19760 a year based on a 40 hr week.

Edited by Harry Potter

2 hours ago, frankblack said:

Everyone bar the energy companies and oil and gas suppliers are in the same boat.

While there may be money floating about its not in other places bar Tory donors pockets.  We are all getting shafted and it won't stop until the energy companies are capped fairly.

10% pay increases across financial sector 

22 hours ago, Ked said:

Was down the grass market and cowgate earlier.

It's a total mess.

Bins overflowing and rubbish all over the place.

Some of the places making a mint from the festival are responsible for loads of the plastic tumblers plastic food cartons etc.

Could they not have organised private hire clean up?

And the flyers that are discarded and handed about needs addressed.

Not a green festival that's for sure.

So were BBC breakfast news this morning, bins overflowing, bin bags laying about as well, wasn't a great look for Edinburgh, especially as national UK wide and international viewers would have seen the state that the place is in.

See the Evening News were accused of lifting bin bags out a large communal bin and onto the street and bursting a few open to get a photo.

2 hours ago, milky_26 said:

Good post.

Cost of living and salary rises are different issues.

Some employers like mine are paying one off lump sums to lower paid staff.

1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

10% pay increases across financial sector 

I think that is debatable.  Most were getting only up to a few percent where I am.

Edited by frankblack

14 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Good post.

Cost of living and salary rises are different issues.

Some employers like mine are paying one off lump sums to lower paid staff.

Not really.  Certainly not for most people.  The cost of living and the individual's level of income to pay for the cost of living are inextricably connected.  I'm not even sure how these things could be different issues.

Your income falls behind inflation = a real terms income reduction = less ability to meet the cost of living.

11 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Facts 

Average salary no doubt, and given the wide disparity in pay between top and bottom earners that number may be misleading depending on how they sampled the data.

5 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Not really.  Certainly not for most people.  The cost of living and the individual's level of income to pay for the cost of living are inextricably connected.  I'm not even sure how these things could be different issues.

Your income falls behind inflation = a real terms income reduction = less ability to meet the cost of living.

Perhaps I could have phrased it better.  The solutions are different given the (hopefully) short term inflation problem.

Paying more than a position is worth can mean that a person finds they won't get that salary in a similar position if they left.  Also it might not be sustainable and jobs go.

Edited by frankblack

2 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Perhaps I could have phrased it better.  The solutions are different given the (hopefully) short term inflation problem.

Agreed.  I agree with what you mentioned about non-consolidated awards.  That's not something that unions normally like but,  in these circumstances,  they may have a useful place.  

Wages rises are permanent and compound.  Non-consolidated awards do not compound and do not represent a permanent inflationary pressure.  

5 hours ago, frankblack said:

Not a tory voter, but have no time for miltant communist unions taking the piss.

I take it this extra money they demand for the potentially short-term cost of living crisis will only be a temporary increase and be taken off as inflation drops?

I would say no, mainly because pay rises in the public sector have not kept up with inflation for the last 10 to 15 years.

The Real Maroonblood
8 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Just seen pictures of the rubbish on the news, it's grim looking.

The news is always rubbish these days.

3 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

The news is always rubbish these days.

Boom Boom!!!

But you're not wrong.

JudyJudyJudy
4 hours ago, Victorian said:

Ditto Merchiston 

Harry Potter
4 hours ago, Armageddon said:

See the Evening News were accused of lifting bin bags out a large communal bin and onto the street and bursting a few open to get a photo.

surely not 😮.

3 hours ago, Victorian said:

Agreed.  I agree with what you mentioned about non-consolidated awards.  That's not something that unions normally like but,  in these circumstances,  they may have a useful place.  

Wages rises are permanent and compound.  Non-consolidated awards do not compound and do not represent a permanent inflationary pressure.  

Is there any subject your not an expert in ?

manaliveits105

Heard a union rep on radio saying their claim is for a flat £3k pa which if you are on £22k would be 14% - how reasonable 

1 minute ago, Ked said:

The most alarming thing about it all is the mess after 1 night.

Is it justifiable ?

The waste is incredible.

Day 5 today 

On 19/08/2022 at 12:18, escobri said:

Anyone know if Midlothian are going on strike? Might have to nip over the border with my rubbish.

Signs up at stobhill tip, midlothian residents only. Proof of address needed to tip.

9 minutes ago, Ked said:

Last clean up in the old town was Saturday morning I thought?

Strike started last Thursday. Ends next Tuesday morning. 

But they didn't do everything before the strike. Parts of centre already really bad before Thursday. 

Edited by Mikey1874

10 minutes ago, Sir Craig Gordon said:

Signs up at stobhill tip, midlothian residents only. Proof of address needed to tip.

Dump it over the fence at the Edinburgh tip.

Howdy Doody Jambo
2 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

Heard a union rep on radio saying their claim is for a flat £3k pa which if you are on £22k would be 14% - how reasonable 

Well these MSPs get £65,000 plus per annum for dishing out constant rubbish £25,000 is peanuts, bining it

Edited by The Maroon Pound

manaliveits105

The snp administration are underfunding the councils so they can squander money on Ferguson Marine , Indy refs . Freebie bribes and such like then blame the UK Government 

buck stops with the snp administration 

The Mighty Thor
7 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

The snp administration are underfunding the councils so they can squander money on Ferguson Marine , Indy refs . Freebie bribes and such like then blame the UK Government 

buck stops with the snp administration 

It's not an SNP council old chap. 

It's the legacy parties asleep at the wheel. 

1 hour ago, Sir Craig Gordon said:

Can't speak for Stobhill but a similar sign has been on display at Wallyford and Macmerry tips for as long as I can remember.

2 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

It's not an SNP council old chap. 

It's the legacy parties asleep at the wheel. 

To be fair he never said it was. To be even more fair his whole argument can be aimed at the Tory UK government.

Malinga the Swinga
2 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

😂😂 where do you get that from?!

My brother works in that sector and he got rise of 2.7%. His colleagues offered between 2-4% in one of UK's biggest banks.

Their competitors all offered roughly the same.

It's a made up figure plucked from sky.

Just now, graygo said:

To be fair he never said it was. To be even more fair his whole argument can be aimed at the Tory UK government.

11 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

The Tory UK government are underfunding the SNP administration so they can squander money on HS2, Brexit, Freebie bribes, dodgy contracts for mates and such like then blame everyone and anyone.

Buck stops with the Tory government.

Told you.

heartsfc_fan
1 hour ago, Sir Craig Gordon said:

They never check.

Lived up this way for a while and I've never been asked for proof of address.

I've even occasionally used the Craigmiller tip and thats Edinburgh. Never been asked there either.

Doctor FinnBarr
13 hours ago, frankblack said:

Not a tory voter, but have no time for miltant communist unions taking the piss.

I take it this extra money they demand for the potentially short-term cost of living crisis will only be a temporary increase and be taken off as inflation drops?

"Potentially short term", "inflation dropping? Are you taking the piss Frank?

dobmisterdobster

When there was a bin strike in Birmingham. Volunteers stepped in to fix the situation. In Edinburgh, people are happy to live in their own waste.

3 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

"Potentially short term", "inflation dropping? Are you taking the piss Frank?

No.  Just repeating what experts are saying.  Solve the problem with energy companies and things begin to rebalance.

To solve that requires emptying the tory liars and their donors.  They are ****ing us all over.

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

When there was a bin strike in Birmingham. Volunteers stepped in to fix the situation. In Edinburgh, people are happy to live in their own waste.

Organise one then instead of greetin on here.

12 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

My brother works in that sector and he got rise of 2.7%. His colleagues offered between 2-4% in one of UK's biggest banks.

Their competitors all offered roughly the same.

It's a made up figure plucked from sky.

I got either 2.5% or 3% this year. All pay rises done on a matrix based on current salary, with the max being 3.5% I think - the most generous they've been in at least a decade. Exception to that being those at the bottom 3 bands who were guaranteed at least a £1k rise. Even for the lowest paid of those that would work out at less than 5%.

I can assure Mikey that there are no 10% payrises 'across financial services'.