Edinburgh refuse/bin collection strike starts this week...

Gards

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, FFSJohn said:

Disagree. They weren’t forced into thee jobs were they? They know the conditions and pay before they applied? 

You sound like my late mother-in-law.

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• frankblack

• Mikey1874

• The Real Maroonblood

• The Mighty Thor

Was down the grass market and cowgate earlier.

It's a total mess.

Bins overflowing and rubbish all over the place.

Some of the places making a mint from the festival are responsible for loads of the plastic tumblers plastic food cartons etc.

Could they not have organised private hire clean up?

And the flyers that are discarded and handed about needs addressed.

Not a green festival that's for sure.

2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Labour runs Edinburgh, is that right? Why has Anus Sarwar said anything?

Dunno

The thing to say is the SNP Government has effectively cut local government spending for years now. Spends the money on social security and the NHS. 

3 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Dunno

The thing to say is the SNP Government has effectively cut local government spending for years now. Spends the money on social security and the NHS. 

And free bus passes for Neds.

To me its time this was nipped in the bud as waste collection is an essential service and not a political pawn.

I was at my local Tesco yesterday and noticed that the recycling area had barriers fencing it off.

We need to put a stop to the militant unions either at central government level through legislation or have the council change the contracts of workers to non-strike as per the NHS staff.  If that doesn't work then its time to outsource the work to agencies who will not employ union staff.

Have the SNP even come out and explained their position here as the people who control the budgets for the local authorities?  Their silence is deafening - its almost as if they want people to believe its Westminster's fault.

28 minutes ago, frankblack said:

To me its time this was nipped in the bud as waste collection is an essential service and not a political pawn.

I was at my local Tesco yesterday and noticed that the recycling area had barriers fencing it off.

We need to put a stop to the militant unions either at central government level through legislation or have the council change the contracts of workers to non-strike as per the NHS staff.  If that doesn't work then its time to outsource the work to agencies who will not employ union staff.

Have the SNP even come out and explained their position here as the people who control the budgets for the local authorities?  Their silence is deafening - its almost as if they want people to believe its Westminster's fault.

The SNP over the years have said they have increased funding for local government. Apart from more recently when they said there will be a cash freeze for the next 3 years.

The problem with that is costs have gone up. Social care especially. 

Councils are currently having to consider cuts to all services. Over the years refuse is one in particular that has suffered. But more services are facing cuts. Last 5/6 years loads of savings have had to be made. 

The Real Maroonblood
43 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

lol, had ma phree bus pass for 2 years and used it twice, 

I’ve had mine for a long time and use it mostly going to the pub.
🍺🍺🍺

indianajones

Sorry to say it. 

A shitehole becomes a bigger shitehole. Edinburghs been on a massive decline for many years now. 

A shadow of the city I used to know. 

50 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

lol, had ma phree bus pass for 2 years and used it twice, 

I wasn't referring to your end of the age spectrum. :lol:

Now I  think its time to get my dinner and stop offending people for the night....

1 hour ago, frankblack said:

Mon the workers. 

28 minutes ago, Mr Sifter said:

Mon the workers. 

Yeah.  All for those getting off their arse and doing their jobs unlike this lot of scroungers.

Harry Potter
56 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I wasn't referring to your end of the age spectrum. :lol:

Now I  think its time to get my dinner and stop offending people for the night....

Never thought you did Frank, we auld duffers dont take offence🙂.

3 hours ago, frankblack said:

And free bus passes for Neds.

Actually that's not entirely accurate.

A lot of neds find it difficult to access it due to the requirements of passport identification etc.

3 hours ago, FWJ said:

Another eye-opener is how much of it is takeaway food & drink stuff.

Big time.

Outside the three sisters and a nearby take away down cowgate was plastic tumblers and old chippytype boxes.

They make a fair bit .

Get cleaning it.

12 hours ago, frankblack said:

Shouldn't you be packing for the big move Boris?

4 minutes ago, tightrope said:

Shouldn't you be packing for the big move Boris?

Not a tory voter, but have no time for miltant communist unions taking the piss.

I take it this extra money they demand for the potentially short-term cost of living crisis will only be a temporary increase and be taken off as inflation drops?

Edited by frankblack

1 hour ago, Harry Potter said:

wonder if they will lift the extra bin bags outwith the normal bins when they return.

They will be ripped to shreds by gulls and crows long before these lazy *******s get off their arse.

10 hours ago, frankblack said:

Yeah.  All for those getting off their arse and doing their jobs unlike this lot of scroungers.

You sound like a Tory Frank. This group of folk want a fair wage that takes into account the cost of living/inflation, and you label them ‘scroungers’? Just waiting for you to compare their wage to a nurse ffs. Fancy a race to the bottom mate?

Edited by Mr Sifter

The Internet
12 hours ago, frankblack said:

If it's an essential service surely the people doing it should be paid fairly. 

4 minutes ago, Mr Sifter said:

You sound like a Tory Frank. This group of folk want a fair wage that takes into account the cost of living/inflation, and you label them ‘scroungers’? Just waiting for you to compare their wage to a nurse ffs. Fancy a race to the bottom mate?

I'm not a tory but have no time for militant communist unions.

They are well paid for the work they do.

Why should they get a huge permanent rise for a potentially short-term inflation problem, which will just increase inflation?  

What makes them so special?

Edited by frankblack

We can't let these miltant communist unions hold our paid for public services to ransom.

If this continues its time to outsource the work.

1 minute ago, frankblack said:

I'm not a tory but have no time for militant communist unions.

They are well paid for the work they do.

Why should they get a huge permanent rise for a potentially short-term inflation problem, which will just increase inflation?  

What makes them so special?

Plenty money floating about Frank, absolute fortunes mate. Just all in the wrong hands, that’s all. Wages have (for some) been stagnant for years now, yet inflation continues to grow, why? It can’t be due to these massive increases people are seeing in their pay packets can it, given that no one is seeing any rises!! 

These folk don’t think they’re special Frank. Not any more special than the firefighters, railway workers, posties etc that are also fighting for a fair wage. Council workers are just another group that have had enough of being shafted. They’re not even askin for the world either, they’re currently contemplating a 5% offer…when inflation is currently in double figures. 

What’s militant about that?

Harry Potter
17 minutes ago, Mr Sifter said:

im sure they earn more than min wage.

15 minutes ago, The Internet said:

If it's an essential service surely the people doing it should be paid fairly. 

Any idea what they get paid p.a. / per hour?

6 minutes ago, Mr Sifter said:

Plenty money floating about Frank, absolute fortunes mate. Just all in the wrong hands, that’s all. Wages have (for some) been stagnant for years now, yet inflation continues to grow, why? It can’t be due to these massive increases people are seeing in their pay packets can it, given that no one is seeing any rises!! 

These folk don’t think they’re special Frank. Not any more special than the firefighters, railway workers, posties etc that are also fighting for a fair wage. Council workers are just another group that have had enough of being shafted. They’re not even askin for the world either, they’re currently contemplating a 5% offer…when inflation is currently in double figures. 

What’s militant about that?

Everyone bar the energy companies and oil and gas suppliers are in the same boat.

While there may be money floating about its not in other places bar Tory donors pockets.  We are all getting shafted and it won't stop until the energy companies are capped fairly.

Harry Potter
5 minutes ago, frankblack said:

At least £25k I saw somewhere.

wow, not bad,

Edited by Harry Potter

2 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Everyone bar the energy companies and oil and gas suppliers are in the same boat.

While there may be money floating about its not in other places bar Tory donors pockets.  We are all getting shafted and it won't stop until the energy companies are capped fairly.

True. Almost sounds like you’ve come full circle though Frank. You admit we are all getting shafted…yet those that are fighting back are ‘scroungers’? 

Jeffros Furios
40 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Not a tory voter, but have no time for miltant communist unions taking the piss.

I take it this extra money they demand for the potentially short-term cost of living crisis will only be a temporary increase and be taken off as inflation drops?

:cornette:

14 minutes ago, Mr Sifter said:

True. Almost sounds like you’ve come full circle though Frank. You admit we are all getting shafted…yet those that are fighting back are ‘scroungers’? 

Who are you fighting bar the general public?  Neither the Scottish Government nor Westminster is interested.

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

Saw two bin lorries in Gorgie today, lovely sight to be honest 😆

Warm fuzzy feeling.

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Warm fuzzy feeling.

It was and I realised it was a rat pissing on my feet 😜

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Good luck to anyone that is on strike due to this utterly incompetent U.K. government. 

This.

Jeffros Furios

The binmen earn less than the national wage in an expensive city and we have posters claiming

they earn a decent wage .

Some sections of society really are up thier own arse . 

The Internet
1 hour ago, frankblack said:

They are.

Maybe by your narrow parameters, and possibly going off inaccurate figures you've seen somewhere, but if they feel they aren't then they should have the right to fight for better shouldn't they? As you say they provide an extremely essential service. 

9 minutes ago, Jeffros Furios said:

The binmen earn less than the national wage in an expensive city and we have posters claiming

They earn less than £9.50 an hour (NLW as of 04/22), working for the council? Are you sure?

Jeffros Furios
Just now, ArcticJambo said:

They earn less than £9.50 an hour (NLW as of 04/22), working for the council? Are you sure?

They earn less than the average wage  which is approx  £25,000 a year .

Can't be certain of exact figures but £21 to £24k a year for a guy with a family isn't a good wage .

4 minutes ago, Jeffros Furios said:

Can't be certain of exact figures but £21 to £24k a year for a guy with a family isn't a good wage .

No, not great, would probably require a frugal existence best supplemented by a second income of sorts.

20 minutes ago, Jeffros Furios said:

Is that the entry level wage?

You rate the salary only against one single income breadwinner in a family.  What about for those without a family or with multiple incomes in the household?

37 minutes ago, Jeffros Furios said:

I read yesterday some are on £10.50 an hour and the pay rise they were offered worked out at £2.50 a day more 

No wonder they are on strike