Edinburgh refuse/bin collection strike starts this week...

Gards

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• frankblack

• Mikey1874

• The Real Maroonblood

• The Mighty Thor

As an agency bin lorry driver at Midlothian council it's a really shitty situation to be in as they are in the process of taking strike action. Being agency I've not got a leg to stand on I'll just turn up at work as normal. However I'll need to walk past my best mate on the picket line. Hopefully it doesn't come to that and they came come up with something better than the 2.5% increase.

37 minutes ago, Sir Craig Gordon said:

As an agency bin lorry driver at Midlothian council it's a really shitty situation to be in as they are in the process of taking strike action. Being agency I've not got a leg to stand on I'll just turn up at work as normal. However I'll need to walk past my best mate on the picket line. Hopefully it doesn't come to that and they came come up with something better than the 2.5% increase.

Offer of 3.5% after the additional Scottish Government funding rejected yesterday. 

Edited by Mikey1874

Bins havent been emptied at my dads house for a week. Can't get anymore in the bins and there is shit lying all across the floor.

Seagulls and rats & squirrels having a feast now. 

Does that mean no bins getting emptied for two weeks?

Its Landfill day on Thursday, and I don't know if I should put the bin out as its not full yet.

heartsfc_fan

Was in town on Saturday night and the bins were overflowing. Not a great sight during the festival.

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Was in town on Saturday night and the bins were overflowing. Not a great sight during the festival.

As long as there are cycle lanes everything is okay.

How will anybody tell that they're on strike?

Edinburgh is a stinking midden on the best of days even with full bin pickup service.

This is a comment on the council's lack of investment, not a comment on the workers themselves.

45 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

A few more road closures and needless temporary lights might be required.

The Real Maroonblood
5 minutes ago, escobri said:

Probably.

heartsfc_fan
1 hour ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Ha. True.

And the tram line development keeps continuing.

2 hours ago, frankblack said:

Does that mean no bins getting emptied for two weeks?

Its Landfill day on Thursday, and I don't know if I should put the bin out as its not full yet.

Strike starts Thursday. So if you are every 2 weeks you just miss 1 uplift. 

The Real Maroonblood
56 minutes ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Ha. True.

And the tram line development keeps continuing.

All these recycling places dotted all over Edinburgh will be in a bigger mess. 

1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

Strike starts Thursday. So if you are every 2 weeks you just miss 1 uplift. 

Landfill and recycling are alternative weeks so my landfill is due Thursday meaning it would be four weeks if they don't pick up on Thursday or the next two weeks.

The council have a duty to provide the services we pay for.

Garbage, weeds, rats, fag-ends, take-away wrapping, Gull's, dug shite and Hibernian FC. We continue (with ease) to manage H1b5, but the rest is now woefully out-of-hand.

Edinburgh & the Lothians seemed to be better maintained in the 70's 80's 90's...East Lothian Council is the largest employer in the county. Basic services are diminishing with council tax rising...something ain't right...

3 council Transit vans, 6 bodies to replace a neighbours cracked bathtub (big laddie). Two bodies were working, other four were having Zzzzzz's...f**kin outrageous waste of resources and my C/tax contribution.

Edited by OBE

This will be the workers Lizz Truss was on about. Lazier bunch of ***** you’ll never meet than Edinburgh Bin men. Can’t speak for the other councils but judging by the Glasgow rat scandal recently I’d assume the same. 

Howdy Doody Jambo

Will the clowncil reimburse it's tax payers for reduced services unfulfilled? 

It's only right and would be the proper honest procedure  as the residents may now have to outsource the disposal of rubbish 

Harry Potter
11 hours ago, escobri said:

aye leave Roseburn , thats already in a huge mess, joke. what are they actually doing there, saw a sign for dont overtake

cyclists, have a job in one lane and you need a distance of 1.5 metres , clowns.

been here before

Arent there any freelance surly *******s the council could hire temporarily to leave what were neatly laid out bins, randomly and haphazardly in the middle of pavements, blocking garden gates and providing unwanted obstacle courses for the elderly, disabled, folk with prams, wheelchairs etc?

6 minutes ago, been here before said:

Arent there any freelance surly *******s the council could hire temporarily to leave what were neatly laid out bins, randomly and haphazardly in the middle of pavements, blocking garden gates and providing unwanted obstacle courses for the elderly, disabled, folk with prams, wheelchairs etc?

Couple of things stopping that. Firstly it would cost the council money to do that and secondly but more importantly the private contractor would do the job in half the time without leaving the street like a tornado has just strolled down it. Just isn’t going to happen I’m afraid. 

I’m loathe to miss out on an opportunity to put the boot into the council but isn’t refuge collection centrally funded? Therefore this a Scottish government issue (hence the strikes going on across the country). 

Will be a minor inconvenience if my bin doesn’t get collected.  Fully support the bin workers and their strike action, just get them paid what they deserve.

1 hour ago, Zico said:

I’m loathe to miss out on an opportunity to put the boot into the council but isn’t refuge collection centrally funded? Therefore this a Scottish government issue (hence the strikes going on across the country). 

Local Government is funded mostly by central Government. Plus council tax and other revenue mostly charges. 

But its responsibility of councils. Unite has chosen publicity due to the festival. So doing a 12 day strike in Edinburgh. Other councils bin men striking for 5 days. 

43 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Local Government is funded mostly by central Government. Plus council tax and other revenue mostly charges. 

But its responsibility of councils. Unite has chosen publicity due to the festival. So doing a 12 day strike in Edinburgh. Other councils bin men striking for 5 days. 

Cheers. Back to slagging off the council then - useless *****, pavements and roads are a disgrace, they’re only bothered about tourists etc. 

They should get the 5% being asked for,  councils have cut costs, cut staff to bare minimums and now the staff want paid for the extra work and stress being taken on.  The scottish government provided extra funding to go towards these payrises yet cosla are sitting at 2.5% and then made a late 3.5% offer that was also rejected.

Government and councils openly talk about cost of living crisis, support for staff and citizens, yet they wont lead by example and provide the staff a fair % increase which starts to then put pressure on the private sector to do the same

Hannibal Lecter

Takes just a few days for our communal bins to fill and start to overflow. God knows what state the street is going to be in with rubbish by the end of this.

Dennis Reynolds
48 minutes ago, Hannibal Lecter said:

Takes just a few days for our communal bins to fill and start to overflow. God knows what state the street is going to be in with rubbish by the end of this.

Same. Not enough bins but the council won't supply more as it will apparently encourage more going to landfill. Doesn't make sense though as the recycling is the exact same! It just means they're coming out more often to empty them though as they get reported as overflowing.

The Real Maroonblood
26 minutes ago, Pap said:

Had a private refuse & recycle bin for a while now. Only a tenner a week. Saves hassle.

£500.00 a year.

Quite a lot but if you can afford it crack on. 

32 minutes ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

Same. Not enough bins but the council won't supply more as it will apparently encourage more going to landfill. Doesn't make sense though as the recycling is the exact same! It just means they're coming out more often to empty them though as they get reported as overflowing.

It doesn't go to a land fill anymore. It gets burnt at the big waste plant at millerhill.

Edited by Sir Craig Gordon

8 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

£500.00 a year.

Quite a lot but if you can afford it crack on. 

Folk spend £30pw / £1440 per year on bevvy. Quite a lot. I dont.

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Pap said:

Priorities.

👍

6 hours ago, Gorgie Spiv said:

They should get the 5% being asked for,  councils have cut costs, cut staff to bare minimums and now the staff want paid for the extra work and stress being taken on.  The scottish government provided extra funding to go towards these payrises yet cosla are sitting at 2.5% and then made a late 3.5% offer that was also rejected.

Government and councils openly talk about cost of living crisis, support for staff and citizens, yet they wont lead by example and provide the staff a fair % increase which starts to then put pressure on the private sector to do the same

And don't forget these lads and lasses worked throught Covid. Deserve the 5% as far as I'm concerned.

been here before
2 hours ago, Pap said:

If you spent 30 sheets a week on bevvy then you'd get more value for your tenner a week thanks to the empties you'd have to throw out.

Win/win.

24 minutes ago, been here before said:

If you spent 30 sheets a week on bevvy then you'd get more value for your tenner a week thanks to the empties you'd have to throw out.

Win/win.

I'm no paying for a private bottle collection as well 😎

Considering how empty the shelves were in Sainsbury at Cameron Toll at 5pm tonight, I won't be worrying about having much rubbish to put in the bins for the next 2 weeks.

Edited by DETTY29

Doctor FinnBarr
4 hours ago, jonesy said:

How do you fit them in the wheelie bins...?

Have you never visited Cairnpapple to see how neolithic man buried their dead?

Half my street had all their bins out last night optimistically.

Funnily enough as I work from home I've not heard the sound of any bin lorries this morning... 🤔

What will happen if you leave your bin on the street is if its not full then someone will fill it and you will have to take it back in full with no space for your future rubbish.

2 hours ago, frankblack said:

Half my street had all their bins out last night optimistically.

Funnily enough as I work from home I've not heard the sound of any bin lorries this morning... 🤔

What will happen if you leave your bin on the street is if its not full then someone will fill it and you will have to take it back in full with no space for your future rubbish.

What is the name of your street Franck ? 

36 minutes ago, frankblack said:

What difference does it make?

Guess that one went over the head. I was going to fill your neighbours bins with my rubbish.