Edinburgh refuse/bin collection strike starts this week...

Gards

dobmisterdobster
2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Have the tories returned us to Victorian times yet? Gardyloo making a come back soon? Lower the working age next? 
Im behind the strikes 100% but you’ve proved your point guys. 

Ask the First Minister to open her cheque book. That's how you stop the strikes 

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• frankblack

• Mikey1874

• The Real Maroonblood

• The Mighty Thor

49 minutes ago, frankblack said:

The money isn't there to give everyone a rise, hence any significant settlement can only be a lump sum.  Even the private sector means test who they awarded those lump sums.

Salary varies significantly between low and high earners - even in the public sector.

The money wasn't there to pay people to stay at home in 2020 and 2021.

Just now, Mikey1874 said:

The money wasn't there to pay people to stay at home in 2020 and 2021.

That money being paid increased the UK's national debt significantly so is actually part of the problem, combined with Russia and complete incompetence and corruption in WM.

1 hour ago, frankblack said:

The money isn't there to give everyone a rise, hence any significant settlement can only be a lump sum.  Even the private sector means test who they awarded those lump sums.

Salary varies significantly between low and high earners - even in the public sector.

The money is there for the loss making vanity trams and the never to be used permanent cycleways so don't talk crap!

1 minute ago, Stuart Lyon said:

The money is there for the loss making vanity trams and the never to be used permanent cycleways so don't talk crap!

Is that money there or is it already spent?  Also, is that money ring fenced notably for the cycleways from Scottish Government funds? (those should be removed immediately, and I voted against them in the consultation that the council ignored).

Pasquale for King
33 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

Ask the First Minister to open her cheque book. That's how you stop the strikes 

What cheque book would that be? Unlike Westminster they can’t find magic money trees when necessary, borrow billions and never pay it back. 

dobmisterdobster
5 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

What cheque book would that be? Unlike Westminster they can’t find magic money trees when necessary, borrow billions and never pay it back. 

COSLA is in charge of local government salaries. The Scottish Government needs to end their petty feud with Edinburgh council just because SNP aren't in power there anymore.

36 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Is that money there or is it already spent?  Also, is that money ring fenced notably for the cycleways from Scottish Government funds? (those should be removed immediately, and I voted against them in the consultation that the council ignored).

I assume the money for the Newhaven section is already there and probably was partly funded by the SG. The CeC I understand have to finance the debt on monies borrowed as per the first phase. The CeC have already announced it intends to spend another £1B to add a second line by 2030 and whether this money is from the CeC or SG i think the money would be better spent on housing/road maintenance, schools, homelessness; all areas where that amount of money could make a significant difference.

4 minutes ago, Stuart Lyon said:

I assume the money for the Newhaven section is already there and probably was partly funded by the SG. The CeC I understand have to finance the debt on monies borrowed as per the first phase. The CeC have already announced it intends to spend another £1B to add a second line by 2030 and whether this money is from the CeC or SG i think the money would be better spent on housing/road maintenance, schools, homelessness; all areas where that amount of money could make a significant difference.

I'm not disagreeing with you there.  I haven't been a fan of the trams and the only place that needs it is the ERI to the city centre.

That thing you do
4 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

Not saying its not the SNP in this example but don't deny the state the UK is in is because of the SNP. The whole of these islands are going down the shitter. Its a failed state. 12 years is too long to keep fleecing the taxpayers. 

We paid for the bankers after the tories deregulated the banking system and there was no protection when the yanks brought down the entire system.

We paid for the failed Covid PPE and all the schemes whilst the tories and their pals swanned off into the sunset with Billions of taxpayers money

We paid and are still paying for Brexit and all that entails with the massive reductions in our economy.

We will be paying BIG when the tories deregulated the energy markets and let 2 men and a dug in a shed run a power utility company. They all went bust and we are paying for that.

We paid, they took, now its time for them to pay us back!

Yep. And thats why strikes, civil disobedience, riots and protests are all but inevitable because this is not just the working classes upset over pay, this is a large swaythe of the country saying enough to an ideology that bails out the mistakes and messes of the banking sector, while creating suffering in the mean time for the masses (including the middle class), deciding a red line has been hit. Failed state is right.

5 hours ago, Stuart Lyon said:

The money for the Newhaven section has been raised by borrowing against future fares, not from CEC or the SG.  It is the hope of the CEC to substantially increase the tram system in Edinburgh.  I daresay the SG will partly fund it (at least) as there is talk of billions being spent in Glasgow on transport - including trams.

Edited by FWJ

5 hours ago, frankblack said:

I'm not disagreeing with you there.  I haven't been a fan of the trams and the only place that needs it is the ERI to the city centre.

As I understand it, that’s the line they’re hoping to build (and up past the W Gen to Granton).

Edited by FWJ

Jambo_jim2001
9 hours ago, jonesy said:

City is starting to smell awful now.

Poor show all round.

Not called "auld reekie" for nowt🧐🧐

1 hour ago, FWJ said:

As I understand it, that’s the line they’re hoping to build (and up past the W Gen to Granton).

I'm talking about the ERI at little france.  Its a nightmare to commute to on public transport.

7 hours ago, frankblack said:

I'm talking about the ERI at little france.  Its a nightmare to commute to on public transport.

Yes, that’s what I meant - a line down there via Cameron Toll (there are plans to redevelop there) and another line from Haymarket up to Granton.

Captain Lithuania

Agree with them leaving the city centre in a mess but to leave folk out in residential areas with this shite is a poor show. I live in a flat, and have to share a bin with 7 other flats, even if I take it easy on the amount I put in the bin it doesn’t make a difference. 

When my bin is full I usually take all the bags to the dump. It's quite easy, you could hire a local van and man crew to do it.

Edited by ri Alban

Just now, ri Alban said:

When my bin is full I usually take all the bags to the dump. It's quite easy, you could hire a local van and man crew to do it.

Some dumps don't accept commercial vehicles, I can't take anything to the local one in my Land Rover, I can take the exact same stuff in the wifes car though.

2 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Some dumps don't accept commercial vehicles, I can't take anything to the local one in my Land Rover, I can take the exact same stuff in the wifes car though.

3 journeys? :D

3 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

There are white van men with a licence to dump.

1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

3 journeys? :D

I've done that, had the wife in the Land Rover a few hudred yards away and me taking it in in her car!

1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

Handy that if you can use them.

Just now, Dawnrazor said:

I've done that, had the wife in the Land Rover a few hudred yards away and me taking it in in her car!

👍 Needs must. Some folk need to make more of an effort.

Doctor FinnBarr
4 hours ago, ri Alban said:

So, we pay council tax for services provided (which includes bins) but you reckon we should pay a white van man from our own pockets?

They need to sort out the pay dispute with the bin men very quickly.....

.....so they can sort out the impending pay dispute with us teachers. 

:kirk:

5 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

So, we pay council tax for services provided (which includes bins) but you reckon we should pay a white van man from our own pockets?

I don't reckon anything. But the bin people come round how often? I take my stuff to the dump myself.  Or I suggested you could pay someone with a van about 20 quid if it bothers you so much. I pay NI, but if I had the money I'd go private, just to ease the work of the NHS. 

10 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

When I used my van, i used just fill in the Renfrewshire waste permit, go to the dump, let them inspect the bags and hey presto. 3 journeys allowed. You must have the same system or similar. No?

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

When I used my van, i used just fill in the Renfrewshire waste permit, go to the dump, let them inspect the bags and hey presto. 3 journeys allowed. You must have the same system or similar. No?

My two local ones say it's "domestic waste olny" I don't have to fill in a form, you just turn up, but you're not allowed in in a commercial vehicle as they then say this is commercial waste, I might be able to fill in a form for commercial waste but haven't looked into it, I might have to soon.

5 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

My two local ones say it's "domestic waste olny" I don't have to fill in a form, you just turn up, but you're not allowed in in a commercial vehicle as they then say this is commercial waste, I might be able to fill in a form for commercial waste but haven't looked into it, I might have to soon.

Get online, we had that pish . We had to bung them, then this appeared and they hate it(wardens). I put everything into see through bags.  A wee flash of my driving licence to show proof of address and the van was in. No business materials, tho, it was only my bins. Waste, garden or recycling. 

I have skips on site for my roofing waste, segregated as well 👍

Edited by ri Alban

The Real Maroonblood
8 hours ago, Der Kaiser said:

They need to sort out the pay dispute with the bin men very quickly.....

.....so they can sort out the impending pay dispute with us teachers. 

:kirk:

Good luck.

Howdy Doody Jambo
14 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Just to be clear Nicola hasn't phoned up a private contractor this week.

Long standing private contract. 

She probably keeps all her rubbish in house 

manaliveits105

Pay deal 5% to be turned down as the £1925 flat rate is only temporary for 2 years and doesn't help lowest paid long term

Scottish Government should sort it out now or resign 

Streets might get cleared but by time next strike next week many people will not have had their grey bins emptied for a month minimum at least by time catch up comes and streets will build up again next week

Time for one to go abroad till this matter is resolved :smoking:

The Mighty Thor
53 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Excellent.

Hopefully somewhere with no Internet?

Don't rush back😘

manaliveits105
30 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Excellent.

Hopefully somewhere with no Internet?

Don't rush back😘

Nae luck 🙂

The Mighty Thor
1 minute ago, manaliveits105 said:

Nae luck 🙂

Is the place you usually go?

Where you try to ingratiate yourself with real English people, who actually just view you as their token sweaty.

1 hour ago, manaliveits105 said:

Pay deal 5% to be turned down as the £1925 flat rate is only temporary for 2 years and doesn't help lowest paid long term

Scottish Government should sort it out now or resign 

Streets might get cleared but by time next strike next week many people will not have had their grey bins emptied for a month minimum at least by time catch up comes and streets will build up again next week

How long is it you are overseas?

Dusk_Till_Dawn

The beautiful binmen of Leeds emptied my wheelie bin today. I stood at the window and saluted them as, on time and with typical professionalism, they completed the job emphatically.

Joking aside, hopefully this strike continues to cause carnage. Michelle Mone wanks £200m out of the government’s testicles and it’s all fine and dandy. But can’t be giving the binmen a decent rise, oh no.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
23 minutes ago, The Maroon Pound said:

All council tax payer's should now be entitled to a rebate! 

Ha ha, dream on :lol:

dobmisterdobster
2 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Is the place you usually go?

Where you try to ingratiate yourself with real English people, who actually just view you as their token sweaty.

You are a strange person.

So after 8 days without pay - and no payrise so far - the binmen go back to work in the morning to clean up the worst mess the city has seen in years?