Edinburgh refuse/bin collection strike starts this week...

Gards

Out of interest who do the striking bin men think will have to clean up the mess when they go back to work? 🤔

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• frankblack

• Mikey1874

• The Real Maroonblood

• The Mighty Thor

4 minutes ago, skinnybob72 said:

Out of interest who do the striking bin men think will have to clean up the mess when they go back to work? 🤔

They usually get overtime to do it. 

2 hours ago, dobmisterdobster said:

When there was a bin strike in Birmingham. Volunteers stepped in to fix the situation. In Edinburgh, people are happy to live in their own waste.

Happened in the 70s. Crap period, and a good time to emigrate.

2 hours ago, dobmisterdobster said:

When there was a bin strike in Birmingham. Volunteers stepped in to fix the situation. In Edinburgh, people are happy to live in their own waste.

Gardiloo 

Jambo 4 Ever
1 hour ago, skinnybob72 said:

Are there bin women too?

never really see any 

JudyJudyJudy
3 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Are there bin women too?

never really see any 

Yes there are.  I was in a pub last week and there was a scaffy in there drinking after her shift.  She looked like she had stepped off the set of “ prisoner cell block h” rough as like …

JudyJudyJudy

I think there will be some agreement very quickly as the state of Edinburgh city centre today , dearie god . 

3 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

I think there will be some agreement very quickly as the state of Edinburgh city centre today , dearie god . 

Our council don't seem to care.

What will these arseholes in City Chambers do if days after they end this they vote for another strike?

I will be writing to my councillor asking for a rebate on my council tax for services not provided.

8 hours ago, heartsfc_fan said:

They never check.

Lived up this way for a while and I've never been asked for proof of address.

I've even occasionally used the Craigmiller tip and thats Edinburgh. Never been asked there either.

The signs have only just went up.

Malinga the Swinga

Heard our FM on radio this morning state that up to COSLA to sort out to his issue as nothing to do with Scottish government.

Her next sentence was to demand Westminster take action over energy companies.

She doesn't appear to have any sense of irony.

jack D and coke

I can’t remember being so pissed off about anything for a while. Litter one of my biggest hates in the world..

:seething:

Disgusting state of affairs from everyone involved they should all hang their head in shame. 
A mate of mine works for them and was telling me the union guy was shouting and balling the other week at the meeting how he wanted rats biting the tourists, rats biting the politicians etc. Now im all for them getting a better deal at work but how does anyone with that kind of thinking get into a position like that? 

Edited by jack D and coke

The Mighty Thor
37 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Heard our FM on radio this morning state that up to COSLA to sort out to his issue as nothing to do with Scottish government.

It's quite straight forward. 

Allow me.

Councils collect the bins. Not Nicola Sturgeon.

Energy duty rates, VAT etc is reserved to Westminster.

There you go. It's quite easy really.

7 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

It's quite straight forward. 

Allow me.

Councils collect the bins. Not Nicola Sturgeon.

Energy duty rates, VAT etc is reserved to Westminster.

There you go. It's quite easy really.

80% funding of councils comes from Scottish Government.

That's the SNP Government.

At least 20% of budget cut by Scottish Government in last few years. 

Its quite straightforward.

Edited by Mikey1874

I drive through the city centre several times a day and its a total shithole now :lol:

Just shows how essential a job these guys and girls have, get them paid what they deserve. 

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, jonesy said:

Indeed. A special thank-you to all those morons who have continued to throw litter out at this time.

Speed up the climate change, please; humans are a bloody shambles.

:spoton:

Harry Potter
8 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Yes there are.  I was in a pub last week and there was a scaffy in there drinking after her shift.  She looked like she had stepped off the set of “ prisoner cell block h” rough as like …

An environmental technition is more the term these days bud, scaffy, thats a blast from the past😏.

manaliveits105
3 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

SNP seem to be goading the unions to target SNP run areas.

Nothing to do with the snp Holyrood administration cutting council funding 

of course :facepalm:

That thing you do
1 hour ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Energy is reserved so...?????

Shes right

13 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

I saw countless tweets by SNP and Green politicians and supporters blaming Labour for Edinburgh yesterday.

Curious strategy. But the replies including Independence supporters show most people understand the situation. 

13 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Edinburgh Council got increased funding this year.

Nothing to do with the Westminster government inflicting a cost of living crisis and record levels of inflation of course. :facepalm: 

The Real Maroonblood
43 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

I can’t remember being so pissed off about anything for a while. Litter one of my biggest hates in the world..

:seething:

Disgusting state of affairs from everyone involved they should all hang their head in shame. 
A mate of mine works for them and was telling me the union guy was shouting and balling the other week at the meeting how he wanted rats biting the tourists, rats biting the politicians etc. Now im all for them getting a better deal att work but how does anyone with that kind of thinking get into a position like that? 

The union rep is obviously in the wrong job.

Utter clown.

Ainsley Harriott
24 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Those baby boxes and bus passes ain't going to pay for themselves 

12 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Edinburgh Council got increased funding this year.

Nothing to do with the Westminster government inflicting a cost of living crisis and record levels of inflation of course. :facepalm: 

All taken up by social care pressures. Edinburgh Council is currently making cuts. 

Made around £200 million cuts last 10 years. 

Edited by Mikey1874

The Mighty Thor
35 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Nothing to do with the WM Government filleting out public services (including the Block Grant) during 12 years of austerity, of course :tlj:

The Mighty Thor
11 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Those baby boxes and bus passes ain't going to pay for themselves 

Those PPE contracts ain't going to pay for themselves. 

5 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Nothing to do with the WM Government filleting out public services (including the Block Grant) during 12 years of austerity, of course :tlj:

One thing not sure if everyone is aware.

David Cameron protected the Scottish budgets leading up to the Independence Referendum in 2014.

So when local government budgets were hammered in England with big cuts after 2010, Scotland didn't have that. 

Been catching up with the cuts since then but still not as bad here as England. 

The whole country is hopelessly underfunded but what do you expect after free market capitalism is allowed to rape & pillage the living **** out of the economy to the point of complete breakdown?  That the ruling gang sustains it's existence by raking in enormous donations in exchange for deregulating,  looking the other way,  conditioning the wealthy to the notion that tax is something for the poor to pay.

Edited by Victorian

18 minutes ago, Victorian said:

The whole country is hopelessly underfunded but what do you expect after free market capitalism is allowed to rape & pillage the living **** out of the economy to the point of complete breakdown?  That the ruling gang sustains it's existence by raking in enormous donations in exchange for deregulating,  looking the other way,  conditioning the wealthy to the notion that tax is something for the poor to pay.

And a lack of vision 

1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

And a lack of vision 

Think of all the useless PPE the Tories could have bought with that money. 

:wonga:

Malinga the Swinga
1 hour ago, That thing you do said:

Energy is reserved so...?????

Shes right

And COSLA funded by Scottish government through grants so she's wrong.

The Mighty Thor
8 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

And COSLA funded by Scottish government through grants so she's wrong.

So to summarise;

the local authorities receive the money from the SG, who don't tell them how to spend it?

And Energy is reserved to Westminster?

Cool.

The Mighty Thor
20 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

And a lack of vision 

Aye but we've got nuclear bombs. How'd you like them apples.

JudyJudyJudy
2 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

An environmental technition is more the term these days bud, scaffy, thats a blast from the past😏.

Oh I saw the word in an article the other day , as you say a blast from the past ! I’m not that old 😂

Howdy Doody Jambo

This has been turned into a political game between Edinburgh clowncil and the Scottish government we can't cope with the day job SNP/invisibleGreens on this matter while the council workers are pawns in this shambles pay the price and the tax payer goes without services living with trash up to their ankles and next week will be up to our necks 

I saw a rat scamper between overloaded communal large bins last night outside the central hall, they must be everywhere now, it's all self interest yet again from those with too much power and egos and definitely not for the good of the people on the street 

1 hour ago, The Maroon Pound said:

This has been turned into a political game between Edinburgh clowncil and the Scottish government we can't cope with the day job SNP/invisibleGreens on this matter while the council workers are pawns in this shambles pay the price and the tax payer goes without services living with trash up to their ankles and next week will be up to our necks 

I saw a rat scamper between overloaded communal large bins last night outside the central hall, they must be everywhere now, it's all self interest yet again from those with too much power and egos and definitely not for the good of the people on the street 

This reads like it was written by Chris (Simpsons Artist) on Facebook

2 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

And a lack of vision 

I seem to recall or at least I think I recall, right at the start of the North Sea Oil boom, hearing predictions that the UK would be one of the wealthest countries in the world and our standard of living would be amongst the highest in the world.

I'm still waiting.

2 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I seem to recall or at least I think I recall, right at the start of the North Sea Oil boom, hearing predictions that the UK would be one of the wealthest countries in the world and our standard of living would be amongst the highest in the world.

I'm still waiting.

You’re right, I think they said gas would be so cheap it would hardly be worthwhile putting meters in!

Jeffros Furios

I would imagine the wage dispute was also an issue for the previous administration,  and North Lanarkshire and Glasgow bin men are next to strike .

This obsessive  need to blame each other and not deal with the issue is childish .

Someone should ask Angus Robertson what the SNP led council did to deal with the issue . 

****in arseholes .

4 minutes ago, buzz said:

You’re right, I think they said gas would be so cheap it would hardly be worthwhile putting meters in!

Did think I remembered hearing these sort of things, I was only a laddie then (late 60's early 70's) but can remember thinking what a wonderful future and country Britain was going to be because of oil & gas.

Harry Potter
2 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Oh I saw the word in an article the other day , as you say a blast from the past ! I’m not that old 😂

i am lol. 

9 hours ago, frankblack said:

Our council don't seem to care.

What will these arseholes in City Chambers do if days after they end this they vote for another strike?

I will be writing to my councillor asking for a rebate on my council tax for services not provided.

This.

JudyJudyJudy
15 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

i am lol. 

I never state my age 😂😎 however I’m old enough to have been at dens park 1986 ! However my age then ! 

Harry Potter
5 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

I never state my age 😂😎 however I’m old enough to have been at dens park 1986 ! However my age then ! 

Was there in my Ford Capri, nightmare that day , so i was at least 17 ha ha.

JudyJudyJudy
10 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Was there in my Ford Capri, nightmare that day , so i was at least 17 ha ha.

Well the train journey back to Edinburgh was awful , tears everywhere 

7 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

Is it close to 15 years in power in Holyrood now but responsible for absolutely **** all that goes wrong it seems? 

1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

With the 5% offer rejected for now, strikes go ahead tomorrow in SNP controlled council areas.

I look forward to Angus Robertson’s tweet about those councils…