Edinburgh refuse/bin collection strike starts this week...

Gards

44 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Guess that one went over the head. I was going to fill your neighbours bins with my rubbish. 

You will probably be too late!

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• frankblack

• Mikey1874

• The Real Maroonblood

• The Mighty Thor

Malinga the Swinga

Good to see Scottish government washing its hands over this and dumping responsibility onto councils. They have money to increase what it hands out but are keeping it for their own purposes.

Sturgeon couldn't give a **** about council workers or Scottish people, she just wants to create division.

18 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Good to see Scottish government washing its hands over this and dumping responsibility onto councils. They have money to increase what it hands out but are keeping it for their own purposes.

Sturgeon couldn't give a **** about council workers or Scottish people, she just wants to create division.

This one isn't down to the Tories - local government is funded by the Scottish Government budget.

Its all very well giving teenagers free bus passes but perhaps you should pay the councils to deliver the services?

Howdy Doody Jambo

The SNP 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 is just the equivalent to the Conservative party in England 

The Real Maroonblood
50 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

:rofl:

manaliveits105
1 hour ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Fair comment 👍

24 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

have you already filled their bins with your extra rubbish?

Tempted - good idea. 👍  I could empty mine and that means by the time these guys decide to get back to work it should be ready.... :whistling:

It is all very Nicola Sturgeon saying councils should offer 5% which she did yesterday.

Firstly I'd say that would be rejected. But the Scottish Government has repeated the UK Government's policy of funds going elsewhere before local government. It's not a good relationship. 

Day 1. 

Parts of central Edinburgh looking dreadful though not abnormal. Unlike my area which got the communal bins emptied yesterday places like Nicholson Square and St Patrick's Square didn't. 

Hannibal Lecter

Communal green bins in our street were emptied on Tuesday, both full to overflowing again already. The black general waste one sitting next to it almost full too, hasn't helped some idiot has dumped 2 household appliances in it.

1 hour ago, Harry Potter said:

Anyone know what % of our council tax goes towards bin uplift, just need a rough estimate to draft in my E-Mail

for a rebate.

Wouldn't surprise me if these ***** charge us extra for landfill and recycling next time as they do for brown bins.

Chancers.

The Real Maroonblood
43 minutes ago, jonesy said:

We have individual wheelie bins, but I pass these communal ones on my way to work and they're always in an absolute state. Folk have absolutely no regards for their environment or their neighbours. 

There's a Chinese takeaway near me that leave their oil-covered cardboard next to a residents' bin, too. And a long-established Indian restaurant that at least does have a commercial waste bin, but they leave it next to some residents' bins, meaning it gets folk chucking loads of crap in it.

When we lived in small-town Catalonia, the communal bins were uplifted every day. Contributed to a bit of civic pride among the residents. 

Surely it’s an offence that these cretins are doing that as there are commercial pick ups.

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, jonesy said:

Undoubtedly. Would have to be caught in the act, I'd imagine, though.

Yes, that the bottom line.

Hannibal Lecter
1 hour ago, jonesy said:

We have individual wheelie bins, but I pass these communal ones on my way to work and they're always in an absolute state. Folk have absolutely no regards for their environment or their neighbours. 

There's a Chinese takeaway near me that leave their oil-covered cardboard next to a residents' bin, too. And a long-established Indian restaurant that at least does have a commercial waste bin, but they leave it next to some residents' bins, meaning it gets folk chucking loads of crap in it.

When we lived in small-town Catalonia, the communal bins were uplifted every day. Contributed to a bit of civic pride among the residents. 

Absolutely spot on. What annoys us the most is that there are plenty others nearby and instead of walking a couple of minutes at most to put rubbish in an emptier bin when ours is full, the amount of people who just either try to squeeze it in or just dump it next to the bin on the street beggars belief. Is it too much to ask for a bit of respect for the neighbourhood you live in?!

We have noticed something similar to your Chinese comment where a local pub seems to be dumping glass bottles etc in the glass recycling bin at the end of our street at weekends.  It is bad enough that after a weekend it is full to the brim with people already dumping stuff next to it when it is full without them adding to it.

4 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Anyone know what % of our council tax goes towards bin uplift, just need a rough estimate to draft in my E-Mail

for a rebate.

Really struggling to find the Edinburgh figure but these are figures from Glasgow which also summarise well the money challenges local government has. 

https://cleanupglasgow.co.uk/where-does-your-council-tax-money-go/

3 hours ago, escobri said:

Anyone know if Midlothian are going on strike? Might have to nip over the border with my rubbish.

Strike dates for other councils are 26-29 August and 7-10 September. 

Don't know for definite if this includes Midlothian. To take action individual councils had to get 50% of members voting which is the new anti-union law. Edinburgh UNISON representing most council workers didn't reach that so can't strike. 

Shanks said no

Place a slab or two in your bin, works as a compactor, particularly effective for the garden bin. 

Just remember to remove them when putting in the street. 

Ballots take time. Especially with all the anti union rules they need to follow. They can't just bring them in for a show of hands. 

Any ballot will unlikely change the Edinburgh bin strike. Result not till early September I'd think. 

17 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Ballots take time. Especially with all the anti union rules they need to follow. They can't just bring them in for a show of hands. 

Any ballot will unlikely change the Edinburgh bin strike. Result not till early September I'd think. 

Surely in this day and age this can all be done quicker and online?  Seems ridiculous we now have to wait for a paper based ballot taking weeks?

The Real Maroonblood
20 minutes ago, Gards said:

Surely in this day and age this can all be done quicker and online?  Seems ridiculous we now have to wait for a paper based ballot taking weeks?

I agree.

20 minutes ago, Gards said:

i would doubt it was a paper ballot but it will depend on what contact details the union have for their members. they might only have a postal address for them but on that they could give them a unique code that they could vote on their website. also we are still in summer so some of their members might be on holiday and they might need to have it open for longer to catch those people

37 minutes ago, Gards said:

It will be online. But still needs to be organised. Give people time to vote too. Think it's a least 2 weeks.

If 5% had been offered originally likely accepted. Not so sure now. 

If Union (GMB) leadership is happy with the offer it could suspend the strike. 

Edited by Mikey1874

10 hours ago, Gards said:

Dunno if this applies to Scottish Unions 🤷‍♂️ 

26 minutes ago, Mr Sifter said:

Dunno if this applies to Scottish Unions 🤷‍♂️ 

i'm in england and my pay ballot is open just now and is electronic

Driving into work this morning really was an eye opener with the streets deserted you get to see how much rubbish is on the streets. 
Not sure when Edinburgh’s street cleaners are back at work but will take till Christmas to clean up the mess that’s there this morning 

Unknown user
7 minutes ago, FFSJohn said:

Those on strike are a disgrace to the city, the place is a midden. 

Nah, the working man's had enough of being an afterthought, good on him.

Support him before you need his support.

1 minute ago, Smithee said:

Nah, the working man's had enough of being an afterthought, good on him.

Support him before you need his support.

Disagree. They weren’t forced into thee jobs were they? They know the conditions and pay before they applied? 

Unknown user
1 minute ago, FFSJohn said:

Disagree. They weren’t forced into thee jobs were they? They know the conditions and pay before they applied? 

Yeah, and they balance that against what their lives cost, what their aspirations are, etc.

And that balance has changed massively.

21 minutes ago, FFSJohn said:

Aren’t they entitled to fair pay? 

23 minutes ago, FFSJohn said:

Think I will bite 

Them not getting a pay rise is the disgrace 

Clown of an OP doesn’t understand inflation or cost of living crisis. Going by his other posts on threads it sounds like he is detached from reality a bit anyway. 

24 minutes ago, FFSJohn said:

Actually the opposite is true.  Nobody is ever informed that their future pay will rise at half the rate of inflation.

Simply put, the bin men and women have the council by the bollocks. I hope they squeeze every last penny out of them. 

They have the money for their vanity projects such as the teams, LEZ and SFP so they can find the money to pay the people

who keep the city clean fairly. 

Wrong. They agreed to a wage that was suitable at the time when the cost of living was lower. Considering inflation and the energy costs nowadays a pay increase to match it is only fair. 

1 hour ago, kila said:

Clown of an OP doesn’t understand inflation or cost of living crisis. Going by his other posts on threads it sounds like he is detached from reality a bit anyway. 

Eh? I'm the OP and didn't make any statement regarding inflation or cost of living - just highlighting the strike was going to happen.

What's that about?

5 minutes ago, Gards said:

Eh? I'm the OP and didn't make any statement regarding inflation or cost of living - just highlighting the strike was going to happen.

What's that about?

This was posted on a different thread which was merged with this one. 

Carl Fredrickson
5 minutes ago, Gards said:

What's that about?

I think someone else started another thread and it was merged. I think the poster was referring to the OP of the other thread who was being a bit of an erse.