Edinburgh refuse/bin collection strike starts this week...

Gards

Just now, AlimOzturk said:

I was the bin men I wouldn’t be putting much effort into the job I was doing. Put it that way 

Just a normal day then. Shouldn’t be too difficult to pull off. 

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• frankblack

• Mikey1874

• The Real Maroonblood

• The Mighty Thor

Harry Potter
11 hours ago, The Maroon Pound said:

All council tax payer's should now be entitled to a rebate! 

should but wont happen, cast strapped, not got a pot to piss in, tram fiasco overbudget.

1 hour ago, AlimOzturk said:

I was the bin men I wouldn’t be putting much effort into the job I was doing. Put it that way 

Rolling a bin ten yards to a truck and then back again. Do anything less than that and you're not actually doing your job.

On 28/08/2022 at 23:32, Der Kaiser said:

They need to sort out the pay dispute with the bin men very quickly.....

.....so they can sort out the impending pay dispute with us teachers. 

:kirk:

Surely the first thing teachers should do is work to rule.

9-5 Mon to fri and that's it.

It would soon have an impact.

2 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

5 ? 😂

2 minutes ago, Dazo said:

5 ? 😂

:)

I have no idea but surely there are contracted hours...stick to them.

It's called 'quiet quitting' apparently.

8 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Rolling a bin ten yards to a truck and then back again. Do anything less than that and you're not actually doing your job.

They haven’t been doing it for 8 days and the place went to shit that quickly. So before you decry their job as “just rolling a bin ten yards” I would probably think about what life would be like without folk doing that job. 

I would suggest there is far more to it than above. But there you go. 

2 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

:)

I have no idea but surely there are contracted hours...stick to them.

It's called 'quiet quitting' apparently.

I’d be surprised if it was set hours to be honest, a teacher will be along shortly. I’m sure the unions will guide them on the correct course of action. 🙄

Howdy Doody Jambo
1 minute ago, Ray Gin said:

Average working week for teachers: 49.5 hours.

**** that :lol: 

Is that to make up for the 2 years they sat in their homes doing hee haw during the pandemic and now only work from home for 20 hour's a week sticking gold stars onto jotters 

Just now, The Maroon Pound said:

Is that to make up for the 2 years they sat in their homes doing hee haw during the pandemic and now only work from home for 20 hour's a week sticking gold stars onto jotters 

:facepalm:

they were literally told to stay at home. It wasn’t a choice 😂

but you knew that. 

1 minute ago, The Maroon Pound said:

They work 12.5 hours a week more than I do, putting up with other people's brats 5 days a week. More power to them.

40 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

But the contracted hours (quick google, i'll admit) is 1265 per year so that averages out at 28 hours per week for a 45 week working year.

Seems like it's the split of work between term/non-term that is the issue?

3 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

I'm in by 7:30ish

Leave between 5 and 5:30 at the moment.

I spent Sunday night preparing resources in my living room as had to give up non contact time to help challenging behaviour in class.

I know there are lazy teachers. I work beside some. I know I'm not one of them. Plus side is I have lost 9 lbs (100% genuine) since start of term....just a combination of hard work, stress and skipping lunches. 

3 hours ago, The Maroon Pound said:

I didnt get to do that. I supported vulnerable kids in school on a part time basis to help them and their families.

Then one of them broke my leg.

Then I sat on my arse for 3 months.

Only thing I'm missing is a feckin cape

😁

Howdy Doody Jambo
14 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

I didnt get to do that. I supported vulnerable kids in school on a part time basis to help them and their families.

Then one of them broke my leg.

Then I sat on my arse for 3 months.

Only thing I'm missing is a feckin cape

😁

A kid broke your leg in class? FFS I hope you have a compensation claim that's crazy 

7 minutes ago, The Maroon Pound said:

A kid broke your leg in class? FFS I hope you have a compensation claim that's crazy 

I teach Additional Needs Kids. 100% not the kids fault.....more just bad luck.

40 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

I'm in by 7:30ish

Leave between 5 and 5:30 at the moment.

I spent Sunday night preparing resources in my living room as had to give up non contact time to help challenging behaviour in class.

I know there are lazy teachers. I work beside some. I know I'm not one of them. Plus side is I have lost 9 lbs (100% genuine) since start of term....just a combination of hard work, stress and skipping lunches. 

I wouldn't say it's lazy to work the hours you are paid for.

Just feel there is a very effective way for teachers to get their message across before going on strike?

50 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

I wouldn't say it's lazy to work the hours you are paid for.

Just feel there is a very effective way for teachers to get their message across before going on strike?

I would actually agree with that this. I wouldn’t be working a single extra hour without being suitably compensated for it. Why are teachers expected to do free work out with school hours? 

**** that for a laugh. 

Edited by AlimOzturk

5 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

I admire teachers a lot, they are great but I have always believed they are in teaching because they couldn't cope anywhere else. 

They have core teaching hours and a half day each week out of the classroom for prep. 

I couldn't do it, though i think if forced to I could do a 40hr week comfortably and be on top. Any teacher struggling after that has issues with their own time management.

19 minutes ago, Mysterion said:

I admire teachers a lot, they are great but I have always believed they are in teaching because they couldn't cope anywhere else. 

They have core teaching hours and a half day each week out of the classroom for prep. 

I couldn't do it, though i think if forced to I could do a 40hr week comfortably and be on top. Any teacher struggling after that has issues with their own time management.

I know I couldn't cope with a classroom full of kids. I'd go on a Michael Douglas in Falling Down style rampage within a fortnight.

46 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

I would actually agree with that this. I wouldn’t be working a single extra hour without being suitably compensated for it. Why are teachers expected to do free work out with school hours? 

**** that for a laugh. 

When I did my teacher training our tutor, who was amazing, told us all that if we wanted to be teachers then expect to work late, expect to work weekends, expect to give up evenings for all manner of reasons. She didnt recommend it for folk wanting 9-5 Mon to Friday. 

I'll be honest...when I taught secondary mainstream when you have taught a whole years course then doing it again the following year is a breeze. You know your lessons, homework, tests etc. Its just about updating stuff or looking at ways to improve lessons or even jazz them up a bit (Particularly for last thing on a Thursday which I still believe is the worst lesson). 

Cant say the same of ASN teaching. I can plan a day but ultimately my days can be so fluid. Kids moods, sleep patterns, changes to medication, change in routines such as a different bus driver that day, kids being noisy from another class.......the list goes on and on.....can all vastly change how the day pans out. Also I have to manage a team unlike mainstream.....I have to timetable breaks, lunch breaks,  who is with what kid at what time.

My current teaching job is much harder than my previous mainstream secondary job.....still prefer it though.

Malinga the Swinga

I see those delightful refuse collection staff back striking again from next week. That'll make it 6 weeks since they could be bothered picking up my day to fay garbage which is about of a pain.

I didn't have much sympathy before this and have less now for the workshy lazy *******s.

Just sack the ****ing lot of them and get private sector staff to pick up the slack. They'll manage job in half the time anyway.

7 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

I see those delightful refuse collection staff back striking again from next week. That'll make it 6 weeks since they could be bothered picking up my day to fay garbage which is about of a pain.

I didn't have much sympathy before this and have less now for the workshy lazy *******s.

Just sack the ****ing lot of them and get private sector staff to pick up the slack. They'll manage job in half the time anyway.

These clowns are too thick to see they are getting royally shafted by their union.

How much money in wages are they prepared to lose for at best a moderate gain?

These union reps meanwhile will still be getting their fat salaries out of the contributions.

manaliveits105

The Scottish Government have been happy for this obscene situation to develop and as usual say it’s really WM fault - it’s not the buck stops with the SG and the shafting of local councils - our bins and health are just collateral damage in their strive for their holy grail 

They seem to find money down the back of the sofa for essentials such as referendums and foreign embassies though 

The Mighty Thor
49 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

37 minutes ago, frankblack said:

These clowns are too thick to see they are getting royally shafted by their union.

How much money in wages are they prepared to lose for at best a moderate gain?

These union reps meanwhile will still be getting their fat salaries out of the contributions.

14 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

The Scottish Government have been happy for this obscene situation to develop and as usual say it’s really WM fault - it’s not the buck stops with the SG and the shafting of local councils - our bins and health are just collateral damage in their strive for their holy grail 

They seem to find money down the back of the sofa for essentials such as referendums and foreign embassies though 

The GB News boys have rocked up. 

Power to the people comrades!

1 hour ago, The Mighty Thor said:

The GB News boys have rocked up. 

Power to the people comrades!

:cornette:

Welcome back to the 1970s with the Nats.

Miltant Marxism at its worst.

Nucky Thompson
48 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Wheelie bin and food waste emptied today. 

Well done the bin men.

Has it got to the stage that we're congratulating them for doing their jobs :cornette:

The Real Maroonblood
19 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Has it got to the stage that we're congratulating them for doing their jobs :cornette:

:clap:

The Real Maroonblood
4 minutes ago, PTBCAL said:

Bin collected yesterday 

Wished then luck in their struggle for fair pay and conditions 

👊

This.

Dennis Reynolds

My bins got emptied the day before the strike and got emptied yesterday. Clearly a bin worker in my block. Small victories.

Howdy Doody Jambo

Exciting stuff getting your bins empty eve, you can only jump up and doon on it so many time's before the neighbours think you're a plank 

The Mighty Thor
9 hours ago, frankblack said:

:cornette:

Welcome back to the 1970s with the Nats.

Miltant Marxism at its worst.

The 'Nats' haven't taken the economic conditions to 1970s levels.

Workers, especially those clearing up your mess, looking for a living wage should be supported. 

manaliveits105
3 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

The 'Nats' haven't taken the economic conditions to 1970s levels.

Workers, especially those clearing up your mess, looking for a living wage should be supported. 

Scottish Government are responsible for the local council workers 

The Mighty Thor
1 minute ago, manaliveits105 said:

Scottish Government are responsible for the local council workers 

The Conservative government are responsible for fiscal policy, energy, inflation. 

COSLA haven't put the UK  back in the 1970s 

1 hour ago, The Mighty Thor said:

The Conservative government are responsible for fiscal policy, energy, inflation. 

COSLA haven't put the UK  back in the 1970s 

The Scottish Government are responsible for Scotland's budget.

COSLA is just a quango set up by the Scottish government but in essence is relatively powerless here, and hence John Swinney has had to step into negotiations.

9 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Anyone ITK if there’s any signs of agreement? 

Good question.

The 'offer' albeit Unite said it needed clarified is much better than the original 2% offer. A current sticking point is part of the offer is a one off payment not added to salary. 

But Unite and GMB have rejected it while Unison is consulting members. 

17 minutes ago, Stuart Lyon said:

One off payments only benefit the employer as they save on NI, pension and overtime rates!

The main demand is to increase lower paid pay long term and a one off payment doesn't do that.

As I've said though if this offer had been made at the start around February/ March it would have been accepted then. 

Edited by Mikey1874

The Mighty Thor
2 hours ago, frankblack said:

The Scottish Government are responsible for Scotland's budget.

COSLA is just a quango set up by the Scottish government but in essence is relatively powerless here, and hence John Swinney has had to step into negotiations.

The Scottish Government is not responsible for, nor able to mitigate, the cost of living crisis which is driving workers such as bin men to feel that they have to strike to get a wage that they can survive on. 

11 hours ago, The Maroon Pound said:

Exciting stuff getting your bins empty eve, you can only jump up and doon on it so many time's before the neighbours think you're a plank 

Surprised the whole street wasn't out clapping.

24 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

The Scottish Government is not responsible for, nor able to mitigate, the cost of living crisis which is driving workers such as bin men to feel that they have to strike to get a wage that they can survive on. 

Actually that isn't correct.

The Scottish Government has a pot of money to allocate and part of that is local government.  The Scottish Government sets its own budget and chooses its spending priorities with that money.

13 hours ago, Sooperstar said:

Does this mean they will empty them both into one refuse lorry thereby mixing landfill with recyclable waste or will 2 lorries visit on the same day. If the former why isn't this done all the time?

The Mighty Thor
56 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Actually that isn't correct.

The Scottish Government has a pot of money to allocate and part of that is local government.  The Scottish Government sets its own budget and chooses its spending priorities with that money.

No that is correct.

The SG don't set UK fiscal policy or control the levers of the UK economy. The WM government do and they're failing abysmally at it.

Furthermore the current inflation means that the SG's block grant that it uses to set its budgets is currently worth 11% less thanks to the inflationary policies of the WM government and could potentially be worth 18% or 22% less. 

So.... the SG are effectively weeing in the wind.