*** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***

dazajmbo

3 minutes ago, bazman said:

In one of the recent home games you could see they were trying to get the ball back quickly and made a right arse of it as we ended up with several balls on pitch at same time

When we last played Celtic at home, their orcs kept any ball that came their way only to throw it onto the pitch when we were in procession. Gotta say, they had it down to a tee on Saturday - it worked well for them.

• Replies 39.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RustyRightPeg

• Sooks

• Bazzas right boot

• BackOfTheNet

Tom Hardy’s Dug
15 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Oops dunno what happened there..... anyway - I was watching the Celtic v Rangers game at the weekend and Celtic take their by-kicks, throw-ins, indirect freekicks and (some) corners very, very quickly... they caught out Rangers a few times.

I know we try to do this with free kicks and throw ins, but maybe we should apply it to by kicks also. Get the ball boys/girls well drilled to get the ball to Sir CG asap... it definitely helped Celtic on Saturday.

You don’t need to be an expensive player to do this.

But also you need to ditch old school attitudes that the full back needs to take every thrown in.

Nearest player throws in. Retain possession and move from there.

Why wait 45 seconds for a full back to take the throw when everyone is marked out and the defence is set.

Ball in touch, throw, attack.

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

1 minute ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

You don’t need to be an expensive player to do this.

But also you need to ditch old school attitudes that the full back needs to take every thrown in.

Nearest player throws in. Retain possession and move from there.

Why wait 45 seconds for a full back to take the throw when everyone is marked out and the defence is set.

Ball in touch, throw, attack.

Exactly, don't give the opposition time to regroup/get back into position... just get the ball in play, it may just catch a few teams out.

9 minutes ago, Waterboy said:

image.thumb.png.20be32b1d1d94a62e0379e694d09c530.png

image.png.6b5f294a2889c216c2dd039580ccb991.png

image.png

We're stronger in every single department now.  Couple of injuries and guys still not fully back from injuries just now.

We're gona be A-OK.  Bit of luck (which I wouldn't like to rely on!) and in a few months time we have Beni and Kye back and that'll be massive for us.

Craig

Natty/Smith

Halk

King

Cochrane

McKay

Dev

Grant/Orestis/Pete

Forrest

Shanks

Gino/Humphrys

That ain't bad at all.  The Gino/Humphrys bit maybe needs worked out, but I'm not upset with that team - as I say with Kye and Beni (and eventually Boycie) to come back in.

And before anyone says it I know we don't play 442, but we kinda play a variation of it quite often in what we call 4231.  You could also put Gino wide right and Baz off the front in this team

Tom Hardy’s Dug

The problem with the graph is it doesn’t include Simms. Our most important player from Feb onwards last year.

It also now doesn’t exclude Boyce.

Being honest. It’s bullshit…

11 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

The problem with the graph is it doesn’t include Simms. Our most important player from Feb onwards last year.

Sorry bud but didn't create this with what you wanted to see in mind.  Just a list of our signed players last year vs this year.  No 'bullshit', but thanks for the constructive feedback.

On 04/09/2022 at 11:29, Debut 4 said:

Totally agree.  I think this has been the focal point of conversation in the last 24 hours.

I think most would agree injuries have hampered us all of a sudden but too much tinkering hasn’t helped either. But in these moments I’d have thought a slight change of managerial approach was needed to get these makeshift line ups to produce results?  Generally, I want my Hearts team to be well drilled on working very hard anyway, but it’s more important when you can’t pick your strongest 11.

Yet, the management seem to think players can just come in and fit into a system seamlessly, not considering lack of game time and rhythm a few have.  We see these pedestrian, unimaginative performances all of a sudden. 

Players being too particular on the ball as not to make a mistake, no risk taking, not moving the ball quick enough or bursting a gut in support further up the park.  I want to see more individual intensity in players.  It all seems lacking in anger for me.  

In a nutshell.  We're far too passive.

1 hour ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Exactly, don't give the opposition time to regroup/get back into position... just get the ball in play, it may just catch a few teams out.

It certainly caught Rangers out.

16 hours ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

Awful decision. I dont beleive Craig Gordon is a leader regardless.

Totally agree and the only time I've see him show any emotion, anger call it what you  may, was in the killie game.  And it was directed at the officials not our players.

48 minutes ago, Waterboy said:

image.thumb.png.20be32b1d1d94a62e0379e694d09c530.png

image.png.6b5f294a2889c216c2dd039580ccb991.png

image.png

Was waiting for this. Cheers. On surface looks like we have 5 extra players, but we know some left / came in during the January window. Would like to see how it looks from last day of last season to now.

Unfortunately with Boyce and Baningime out for lengthy periods our overall squad number that’s eligible to play majority of the games this season is slightly smaller. Still think with the nature of our congested fixtures we needed a few more - but must say the overall quality has definitely improved. Which makes the recent form all the more mind boggling.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
12 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Was waiting for this. Cheers. On surface looks like we have 5 extra players, but we know some left / came in during the January window. Would like to see how it looks from last day of last season to now.

Unfortunately with Boyce and Baningime out for lengthy periods our overall squad number that’s eligible to play majority of the games this season is slightly smaller. Still think with the nature of our congested fixtures we needed a few more - but must say the overall quality has definitely improved. Which makes the recent form all the more mind boggling.

Yep. Not meaning to attack the author but it isn’t accurate. Sorry.

scott herbertson

We did have quite a few players out for fairly lengthy spells last season - Bene, Souttar, Halkett, Smith, Devlin  and Haring come to mind - Haring played the most games (31 of the 38) the others all under 30 and as low as 20 (Michael Smith), Beni 24, Devlin 25 etc

21 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

Yep, agree with these 2 points.   We need a playing style based on speed of passing and teaching players to have foresight & awareness to  help the guy with the ball and make quick decisions about passing or shooting.

I was very impressed with the way  Alkmaar played -  even in the the 1-0 defeat at Tannadice, their movement to  give the  guy with the ball  some  short-pass  options meant that the opposition had to work hard to try to get the ball back.  All the while  moving steadily up the pitch.  Proper teamwork.

👍🏻   It can be done. We have some good players in possession. We kind of saw a snippet of it in the Zurich game at Tynie.  But it doesn’t seem second nature, more in the moment and too sporadic. 

The Treasurer
51 minutes ago, Waterboy said:

Sorry bud but didn't create this with what you wanted to see in mind.  Just a list of our signed players last year vs this year.  No 'bullshit', but thanks for the constructive feedback.

Looking at those two lists I think the loss of Simms and Souttar weakens the squad but it is balanced out to a certain extent with Rowles and Shankland. 

The one I'm not so sure about being an upgrade is Grant replacing Mceneff. 

14 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

It's not a comparison of available players, it's a comparison of the first team squad on X date vs Y date, it's about as accurate as you're going to get. Jordan Roberts had already gone by 5th Sept. though so he shouldn't be included in last season's list. 

If you want it to take injuries into account then it should apply to both seasons - Souttar and Smith both missed games in September last year, should they be taken out? Beni missed 14 league games last season, should he be included on either side? Can't just tailor it to suit your opinion. 

33 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

We did have quite a few players out for fairly lengthy spells last season - Bene, Souttar, Halkett, Smith, Devlin  and Haring come to mind - Haring played the most games (31 of the 38) the others all under 30 and as low as 20 (Michael Smith), Beni 24, Devlin 25 etc

True, but no many out all at the same time. And didn’t have two games a week for several weeks as there was no Europe or World Cup that means we have to play half a season before before the break up in November. I imagine if we had that list would be longer.

49 minutes ago, Jamboross said:

It's not a comparison of available players, it's a comparison of the first team squad on X date vs Y date, it's about as accurate as you're going to get. Jordan Roberts had already gone by 5th Sept. though so he shouldn't be included in last season's list. 

If you want it to take injuries into account then it should apply to both seasons - Souttar and Smith both missed games in September last year, should they be taken out? Beni missed 14 league games last season, should he be included on either side? Can't just tailor it to suit your opinion. 

Cheers bud. Don't know how he's not understanding.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Its not mind boggling, too much smoke blown up their arse and they think they can stroll through these games, which to be fair, neither of the cheeks seem to do at Livingston either

The upside of a careful transfer policy is that we don't need a clear-out every 18 months like we did for several years running, with loads of poor signings soaking up wages. We've had the odd one that didn't work like McEneff or Gnando but for the most part the big signings at the beginning of the Championship season are still at Tynecastle making good contributions.

The downside is that it takes much longer to get each signing in because we're not grabbing at the first player who looks like he might be a fit.

As long as we have one or two McKay or Kingsley level signings coming in, I'll happily take that tradeoff, even if it means we're in a bit of shit at the moment. That said, if none come in or they're huddies, we have a very serious problem for the fall.

August Landmesser
1 hour ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

It is accurate as it compares the squad at the end of the 2021 summer window with the squad at the end of the 2022 summer window. Why are you having such a hard time comprehending that?

I assume/hope Waterboy will be doing similar with the January window 

scott herbertson
54 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

True, but no many out all at the same time. And didn’t have two games a week for several weeks as there was no Europe or World Cup that means we have to play half a season before before the break up in November. I imagine if we had that list would be longer.

Agreed. That is an unexpected problem which by definition the management team didn't expect or plan for.

Looking at the squad i was surprised they didn't add another centre back and I still thin we are light on central forwards though I expect that's just me 'living in the past' re formations and positions

I'm not in the know (used to be sadly) but a parent at my laddies game this weekend with friends at Tynie says Gordon has been approached/spoken with by an English Premiership club about a goalkeeping coach position.

2 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Nor our best defender, Souttar.

2 hours ago, Waterboy said:

Exactly and very use full it is too

Hackney Hearts
10 minutes ago, tcjambo said:

Nor our best defender, Souttar.

Not sure about that. One of our top 3 defenders, yes.

Our best out-and-out defender was Halkett (we missed him more than Souttar when he was absent).

And best going forward was Kingsley. 

1 hour ago, scott herbertson said:

Agreed. That is an unexpected problem which by definition the management team didn't expect or plan for.

Looking at the squad i was surprised they didn't add another centre back and I still thin we are light on central forwards though I expect that's just me 'living in the past' re formations and positions

We’re short on at least one centre forward, for me also a forward that can play along a front three interchangeably as well as an attaching midfielder and possibly a centre back as you say.

Surely we can't really question a few 100k per year building up the women's team? This is the future of all sport ie fully inclusive sporting clubs. Football is a long way behind compared to a lot of sports.

I'd also say our men's 1st team squad is now baselined across all positions to allow us to compete against our closest competitors with roughly 2 players of a reasonably equal standard in all positions. This will allow us to focus on 2-3 additions in future windows of a higher standard.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Couple of high profile ones today, these guys need to make up their minds soon, I think it kind of proves, it is really about the money, LIV golf really demonstrates amply people will play any old shite if the money is right 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
17 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Not too fussed now. Think we've enough for the league. It was Europe we needed extra quality for imo.

Getting back into third is extremely important for the longer term 

19 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Getting back into third is extremely important for the longer term 

Yeh I think we've got enough for 3rd. We're there or thereabout to last year. Stronger in some places, weaker in others. Barring a disaster I think we're okay.

Probably best to focus on getting the best out of what we have now. I can’t imagine there are free agents of sufficient quality ready to hit ground running at this stage.

5 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

The upside of a careful transfer policy is that we don't need a clear-out every 18 months like we did for several years running, with loads of poor signings soaking up wages. We've had the odd one that didn't work like McEneff or Gnando but for the most part the big signings at the beginning of the Championship season are still at Tynecastle making good contributions.

The downside is that it takes much longer to get each signing in because we're not grabbing at the first player who looks like he might be a fit.

As long as we have one or two McKay or Kingsley level signings coming in, I'll happily take that tradeoff, even if it means we're in a bit of shit at the moment. That said, if none come in or they're huddies, we have a very serious problem for the fall.

A very good post imo. Sums up exactly how I see it. Hopefully one or two free agent transfers to come. A striker and a central defender would do, but I'd take Snodgrass as well.

1 hour ago, Sertse said:

Working hard on signing players when we should be training and planning tactics for the European game ……….. will this disgracefulness ever end 

7 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

It is 100% accurate. It’s factual. it lists the squad on the 5th of September in 21 and 22. 

You are doing a bit of a strawman by claiming it shows relative squad strength when it has never purported to be that. It is just the players on the books. 

You mention Simms who signed in January? That will be shown on that graphic comparing January to January. 

You want the graphic to compare to six months ago? Cool. That’s not what it shows though.  doesn’t mean it is not accurate. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug
1 minute ago, CMc said:

It is 100% accurate. It’s factual. it lists the squad on the 5th of September in 21 and 22. 

You are doing a bit of a strawman by claiming it shows relative squad strength when it has never purported to be that. It is just the players on the books. 

You mention Simms who signed in January? That will be shown on that graphic comparing January to January. 

You want the graphic to compare to six months ago? Cool. That’s not what it shows though.  doesn’t mean it is not accurate. 

Ok. My point is it doesn’t show our strongest squad last season compared with our squad now:

to that extent it’s useless and pointless.

You might as well put the 2005/06 squad up.

It’s the epitome of an apples and pears comparison.

7 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

You are meaning to attack the author but you are not able to do a good job at it because every thing he has included in his post is totally accurate

You are just a bit put out because his entirely accurate post does not back up your plethora of posts recently where you are just repeating the same whiny points over and over again 

Bazzas right boot
6 hours ago, Waterboy said:

Cheers bud. Don't know how he's not understanding.

Imagine arguing against  a definitive list of actual players because it doesn't suit your agenda.

Unbelievable tbh.

1 minute ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Imagine arguing against  a definitive list of actual players because it doesn't suit your agenda.

Unbelievable tbh.

Yes but why should some one post a factual list about some thing when it does not back up my completely different point that I am determined to post over and over and over and over and over again until I pass out ?

SaughtonJambo

Looking at the free agent market couple players that would improve us in Europe;

eli dasa, rb

matej vydra, st

Massimo luongo, cm

Izzy Brown, cam

andre wisdom, rb/cb

• davemclaren changed the title to *** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***