*** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***

dazajmbo

davemclaren
12 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

The next level for me is incrementally increasing the quality of players we sign as we bring in more income.

We haven’t done that this season. we are shopping from the same if not a lower standard than last year. SPL level players (Shankland, Forest, Neilson), token Aussie, and Grant who I like but the most positive noises about him I have read are that he is like Ollie Lee but more mobile (and I liked Ollie Lee)

Even one of our marquee targets - Lee. Is he of a higher standard than the Japanese lad we were after last year? Not obviously from what I can see.

That isn’t an objective measure though.  

• Replies 39.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RustyRightPeg

• Sooks

• Bazzas right boot

• BackOfTheNet

3 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

One perfect example. Are we going for players of better quality than Obafemi this year?

The premise of the question is completely flawed, given we aren't privy to who the club are targeting and this time last year we had no idea we were after Obafemi. :lol:

If we ever were. It was never reported in the media.

Naisys Tackle
1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

As it stands we don’t know if we’ve downgraded. The two players in question have only played two games. Give them a chance. 

Lets be honest, if we had the choice between them both it wouldn't have been Shanks as good as he could be and what a good player he could be for us.

Will 100% give him a massive chance too.  We need more than LS though. 

1 minute ago, Taffin said:

In the same way it's impossible to write someone off after two games, the opposite is also true. It's far too soon to know the quality, or not, of any of our new signings yet.

Sensible post. 

RustyRightPeg
9 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

One perfect example. Are we going for players of better quality than Obafemi this year?

He is probably above us now.

He ripped Scotland a new one during the summer for Ireland. 

Just now, Robbies Tackle said:

Lets be honest, if we had the choice between them both it wouldn't have been Shanks as good as he could be and what a good player he could be for us.

Will 100% give him a massive chance too.  We need more than LS though. 

Absolutely. I’d pick Souttar and Simms as well but Rowles is basically an unknown and Shankland has yet to prove himself in top flight. Doesn’t mean we know how they’ll do, we don’t.  They could turn out better than both Souttar and simms. It’s too early to tell. 

Don’t think it’s any secret we are after another forward and I agree, we do need more up front. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
4 minutes ago, Taffin said:

In the same way it's impossible to write someone off after two games, the opposite is also true. It's far too soon to know the quality, or not, of any of our new signings yet.

The way he took to international football at the deep end, I'm pretty confident, I like what I see. 

6 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Of course if he does so but as it stands we have downgraded up top and in defence. 

We definitely need more bodies even to compliment Shankland.  Especially with all the games we are to play coming up. 

I’m going to judge if we have downgraded up top as the season goes on not after a couple of games.

Of course if he does so but as it stands we have downgraded up top and in defence. 

We definitely need more bodies even to compliment Shankland.  Especially with all the games we are to play coming up. 

I’m going to judge if we have downgraded up top as the season goes on not after a couple of games.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
3 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

He is probably above us now.

He ripped Scotland a new one during the summer for Ireland. 

It's the level though if we can persuade the likes of 

Naisys Tackle
Just now, GinRummy said:

Absolutely. I’d pick Souttar and Simms as well but Rowles is basically an unknown and Shankland has yet to prove himself in top flight. Doesn’t mean we know how they’ll do, we don’t.  They could turn out better than both Souttar and simms. It’s too early to tell. 

Don’t think it’s any secret we are after another forward and I agree, we do need more up front. 

All I agree with mate.  But time and patience to wait and see wont keep us moving forward.  Suppose for a club of our size will need to be the way though. 

Naisys Tackle
1 minute ago, One five said:

Its nothing to do with 2 games its in general terms of a players ability.  

Just now, Robbies Tackle said:

Its nothing to do with 2 games its in general terms of a players ability.  

Fair enough mate we all have different views👍

KyleLafferty

Hearts have signed an International Striker, an international Centre back, an under 23 full back from the premier league. A championship midfielder, an spfl winger who is improving every season. A young centre back with massive potential from a rival in our league. 

Not many clubs will be happy for us to pay a low percentage of wages for a top quality loan, like with Simms last year.

BackOfTheNet
1 hour ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Or we are waiting for a scrag end that is released at the end of the window. Great!

Sometimes it’s all relative. By all accounts last year we were a bawhair from having Michael Obafemi join, and he ended up going to Swansea and had a great season for them. There was a lot of waiting on him, as he was wanting to see if he would play for Southampton on the EFL Cup to see if he had a place, and then wanted to weigh up options. Swansea gazumped us last year, but maybe there’s players in similar positions this year, and it’ll be us (after finishing 3rd rather than newly promoted and qualified for Europe) that would be doing the gazumping.

49 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

Loans are most likely, but there are still quite a few free agents with decent pedigrees and there'll also be players in the last year of their contracts that clubs will most likely be looking to cash in on (Paddy Lane?).

Basically, I think it's a bit early to draw that conclusion. 

More of a hunch on my part. As I’ve stated in my reply above to THD, there’s definitely circumstances that could mean permanent transfers could still happen (wouldn’t bank on free transfers after the window closes as final registration for European squads comes day after window closes as groups start shortly after). I just can imagine us only loaning from here on in. Which was similar to last year, where last few signings were the likes of Woodburn and Moore. (Devlin as a deadline day signing didn’t really count as he’d effectively been known to be awaiting work permit for almost a month before hand)

millerjames398
51 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Not sure, far too many still be living in the land of make believe here

When its clearly a time for makin our mind up...

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 minute ago, millerjames398 said:

When its clearly a time for makin our mind up...

If only we could speed it up

2 hours ago, Leisham38 said:

After going two up at home to Forest, Newcastle made 5 subs. Anderson remained on the bench. Only one of three outfield players to do so.

You’d expect Newcastle to buy a couple more and they had 4 players out injured.

Surely for his development a loan move would be better. If I was Joe I’d be checking back in this morning

Ben Woodburn made the bench for Liverpool away to Norwich first game of last season.

2 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

If only we could speed it up

be careful or you will have to run for your life

Naisys Tackle
1 minute ago, Faded Seat said:

Ben Woodburn made the bench for Liverpool away to Norwich first game of last season.

He was also pants the season before. 

2 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

He was also pants the season before. 

The guy has been shite since his debut goal v Leeds United failed loan deals. Anyway he made the bench then was loaned out so I wouldn’t rule out Anderson going out on loan just yet . If toon get Maddison Anderson will not even make the match day squad so a loan will most likely be his chance to play football.

Back to 2005
3 minutes ago, Faded Seat said:

The guy has been shite since his debut goal v Leeds United failed loan deals. Anyway he made the bench then was loaned out so I wouldn’t rule out Anderson going out on loan just yet . If toon get Maddison Anderson will not even make the match day squad so a loan will most likely be his chance to play football.

He’s going to gradually fall down the leagues. See he was demoted to sub for PNE at the weekend. 

If we are not able to spend money to make money at the moment we aren’t going to see a much better quality of player than we have.Probably just getting our hopes up with this “next level”mumbo jumbo being spouted around.

43 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

The way he took to international football at the deep end, I'm pretty confident, I like what I see. 

International football isn't much of an indicator for success in the SPFL imo, especially not 1 or 2 competitive games. I thought he did some good things yesterday and some not so good...and the exuberance to blame Sibbick at the goal took heat off him too.

Far too early to tell either way, same as for anyone writing folk off imo.

9 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

He’s going to gradually fall down the leagues. See he was demoted to sub for PNE at the weekend. 

Totally. The kid has the wrong attitude I’ve heard from a couple of Liverpool fans who go home and away. The money and the fame he got from that goal he scored , the hype being next Owen. He will retire early age or go from club to club playing national league football in his late 20s 

Jamboscanbevicius
39 minutes ago, KyleLafferty said:

Hearts have signed an International Striker, an international Centre back, an under 23 full back from the premier league. A championship midfielder, an spfl winger who is improving every season. A young centre back with massive potential from a rival in our league. 

This. We have not done badly at all in the transfer window so far. 

Like most, I am greedy for more and better quality, always. But we must also remember that although we lost Souttar and Simms was out of reach, we are building on a MUCH better base than last summer!

Lord Beni of Gorgie
30 minutes ago, Taffin said:

International football isn't much of an indicator for success in the SPFL imo, especially not 1 or 2 competitive games. I thought he did some good things yesterday and some not so good...and the exuberance to blame Sibbick at the goal took heat off him too.

Far too early to tell either way, same as for anyone writing folk off imo.

Not sure what you are expecting but as good as we can expect. Didn't put a foot wrong for me yesterday. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
51 minutes ago, Barack said:

Don't make me block you two. 

No chance, you will want a piece of the action. 

Back on topic I thought this would be the week, Derby out of the way and before first European game 

Naisys Tackle
48 minutes ago, Faded Seat said:

He couldnt get a game for Blackpool and i was surprised we took him.  Anderson tore a league up last season and Champ sides want him based on that and his ability.  Theres nothing to suggest he will be loaned to Scotland. 

1 hour ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Of course.  But he isn't an improvement on Simms.

He’s our player though - rather than a six month loan. 

I’m sure we will bring in players in next few days or weeks.  Over three weeks of window to go and Savage and team are working hard on deals at the time the market starts to see lots of movement. Patience really is a virtue and I think it will be worth the wait. Been talking to some players for months now and still no definite decision from them. Agents just playing the market makes it tough to get signatures but that changes in next week or two. 

1 hour ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Of course.  But he isn't an improvement on Simms.

9 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

I’m sure we will bring in players in next few days or weeks.  Over three weeks of window to go and Savage and team are working hard on deals at the time the market starts to see lots of movement. Patience really is a virtue and I think it will be worth the wait. Been talking to some players for months now and still no definite decision from them. Agents just playing the market makes it tough to get signatures but that changes in next week or two. 

I’m happy to wait if we are bringing in quality players but it would be nice to get at least one in before Friday 🤞

Naisys Tackle
1 minute ago, CMc said:

Doesnt make him an improvement though.  He is still a very good player and signing. 

He couldnt get a game for Blackpool and i was surprised we took him.  Anderson tore a league up last season and Champ sides want him based on that and his ability.  Theres nothing to suggest he will be loaned to Scotland. 

You weren't impressed by the Woodburn signing at the time then? He was playing games in pre-season for Liverpool, receiving plenty of positive comments in the media from the management and getting on the bench in the early EPL games. His stock might not be as high as Anderson's, but there wasn't much to suggest he would be likely to come here either.

29 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Not sure what you are expecting but as good as we can expect. Didn't put a foot wrong for me yesterday. 

I'm not really expecting anything, which is sort of my point. He's a young(ish) guy who's played at a lower level. Might be a gem, might be awful, might be average. It'll take at least 10-15 games to really know which certainly encouraging signs though, but that's all it is so far.

He could have done better at the goal and I felt he should have been tighter to the Youan for the header in the first half that Gordon made the save from. Also did a lot of good stuff and looked comfy on the ball and playing it out. I'm not going to rule him out, or big him up off so little minutes though, he deserves time to settle either way and find his rhythm and groove. 

You seem to be insinuating that I expect more. I don't, I just recognise that just as you can't make snap negative judgements, you can't really make snap positive ones when it comes to players with no track record in your league or at a higher level.

In the same way you get people continuing to call good players crap when they've gone on to clearly be good, you also get people ardently refusing to accept they over-egged someone early doors. Just don't see the point in making that call based on so few games.

Edited by Taffin

34 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

This. The overreaction to yesterday is crazy. 

Naisys Tackle
16 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

You weren't impressed by the Woodburn signing at the time then? He was playing games in pre-season for Liverpool, receiving plenty of positive comments in the media from the management and getting on the bench in the early EPL games. His stock might not be as high as Anderson's, but there wasn't much to suggest he would be likely to come here either.

16 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

No.  Based on him not getting a game for Blackpool.  I didnt think he would hack it up here. 

Simms yes as he tore it up there.  Anderson done the same last season at Bristol. 

RustyRightPeg
45 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

This place does amaze me and I’m going to have to learn to appreciate others see things differently but I agree with you. 

9 minutes ago, karipidis said:

This. The overreaction to yesterday is crazy. 

A derby is a derby and form goes out of the window.

1 minute ago, Robbies Tackle said:

No.  Based on him not getting a game for Blackpool.  I didnt think he would hack it up here. 

Simms yes as he tore it up there.  Anderson done the same last season at Bristol. 

TBH that was a trap as I've already checked and you said it was the most excited you'd been about an attacking signing for years. :lol:

FWIW I was sceptical about Woodburn because of his previous loan spells. My point is that the hype about Anderson is mostly based on the same stuff: pre-season games and soundbites from his manager. A good spell in League 2 is promising, but it's also League 2.

He could easily go to the Championship and struggle. I agree that's his most likely destination, but Hearts will also be a step up from where he was last season and might be in a position to offer more game time.

Naisys Tackle
5 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

TBH that was a trap as I've already checked and you said it was the most excited you'd been about an attacking signing for years. :lol:

FWIW I was sceptical about Woodburn because of his previous loan spells. My point is that the hype about Anderson is mostly based on the same stuff: pre-season games and soundbites from his manager. A good spell in League 2 is promising, but it's also League 2.

He could easily go to the Championship and struggle. I agree that's his most likely destination, but Hearts will also be a step up from where he was last season and might be in a position to offer more game time.

I did on Woodburn?  Wow its known I talk tripe anyway :lol: 

Cool about the rest, its a waiting game I suppose.  Just need a bit patience. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug
3 hours ago, Vlad Magic said:

Our transfer budget this season is no different to last years.

Hence why we are signing players of similar budget and “funnily enough”ability to last year.

Our budget next season will be healthier.

I don’t believe our budget is the same this year as last - pretty stupid if it is.

I think that our squad is at about the same level as it was a year ago. Not noticeably worse but not better, either.

Everyone is frustrated because we wanted a couple of ‘big’ signings, a statement of intent to consolidate our hold on 3rd. Although I have high hopes for Shankland, he still has it all to prove at SPL level and wasn’t a signing to get everyone excited.

Hopefully we will see a couple of signings in the next fortnight, but I’m a bit worried. Partly that although I’m sure we are targeting quality, I suspect we are going for players we are unlikely to get and getting rejected, without sufficient backup options available. Partly because our first European game is in 10 days and I don’t think the squad is ready. I also think that the players we get in late in the window are more likely to be loan deals (not necessarily, but more likely) and I would prefer permanent deals.

Edited by Doc Rob

john thomas
2 hours ago, Faded Seat said:

Totally. The kid has the wrong attitude I’ve heard from a couple of Liverpool fans who go home and away. The money and the fame he got from that goal he scored , the hype being next Owen. He will retire early age or go from club to club playing national league football in his late 20s 

So you think a 'couple of Liverpool fans who go home and away' have some kind of detailed knowledge ?

Have you read any of the thousands of moronic posts on here from fans who go 'home and away' ?

• davemclaren changed the title to *** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***