*** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***

dazajmbo

BackOfTheNet
15 minutes ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Does Connor Smith count as home grown?

Yes, but as he’s under 21 and has been at Hearts for more than 3 years he doesn’t need to be included in the 25 man squad to be eligible. The only doubts might be if he’s not had a consistent 3 years. Now, I know he’s had his loans, but he may have spent enough time at the club before going out on them. If not, to be eligible to play in Europe he would need to be included in the 25 man squad, yes. Think you’re only allowed one season on loan (in the home grown country) away in a 3 year spell, and he’s had more than that. But not sure if his time between ages of 15-18 for example he would mean he’s eligible to play without registration.

• Replies 39.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RustyRightPeg

• Sooks

• Bazzas right boot

• BackOfTheNet

30 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

He's a much better footballer than Olly Lee and quicker.

This any one who watched him on Sunday could see that

H.M.F.C1874

I know it’s not priority, but with Smith coming off with a feeling of pain yesterday and Atkinson not filling people with a lot of confidence regarding his defensive abilities. I would like to see the club go for Brooke Norton Cuffy on-loan. He has just signed a new deal with arsenal so I imagine he will be loaned out. 

davemclaren
20 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Will try and clarify. We can register a squad of 25. But the rules are we need at least 8 to be considered home grown (trained 3 years in Scotland before a certain age). And we need 4 of them registers to be club grown (trained 3 years at the club before a certain age). Players that fit both criteria can be used for both criteria numbers.

So let’s say our squad is as follows:

1. Craig Gordon [C] (H)

2. Ross Stewart (H)

3. Michael Smith

4. Stephen Kingsley (H)

5. Craig Halkett (H)

6. Peter Haring

7. Beni Baningime

8. Jorge Grant

9. Lawrence Shankland (H)

10. Liam Boyce

11. GMS (H)

12. Nathaniel Atkinson

13. Cammy Devlin

14. Kye Rowles

15. Andy Halliday (H)

16. Alan Forrest (H)

17. Barrie McKay (H)

18. Alex Cochrane

19. Lewis Neilson (H)

20. Toby Sibbick

21. Euan Henderson [C] (H)

22. Josh Ginnelly

Players like Stone, Pollock, McGill and Connor Smith don’t need to be included as they’re young enough and have been at the club long enough.

But as you can see we only have 2 club grown players. (But 11 home grown players) So, therefore, we can only register 23 players to leave 2 spaces vacant for the club grown we cannot fill - unless we put players like Stone or Pollock there that we don’t need to as they’re eligible to play without being registered in that 25 man squad.

So, we can still sign one more and include in the squad without taking anyone else out. But if we’re wanting 3 or 4 in, someone will have to miss out. Obvious next one could be Baningime as he’ll miss all the group games anyway. But after that you’re looking at players that would need to be dropped from the squad and you’ll likely have to hope they’re on their way out as they won’t be a happy presence around if they’re not eligible to play in Europe.

👍

2 hours ago, Batistuta87 said:

Thought he was a dead cert to sign to be honest. I wonder if we've maybe found something better... 

If we have I sincerely hope it is someone who has a bit of pace as we sadly lack that in the middle of our midfield.

Edited by wavydavy

8 minutes ago, Sooks said:

This any one who watched him on Sunday could see that

Olly Lee turned like an oil tanker and was a yard off the pace all the time. 

21 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Watched it again this morning.  He really takes his time on the finish.  Doesn't snatch and actually takes one more step than you might think - that's a guy who knows where everything is.  You here the likes of Ian Wright saying you turn to ice when there's a chance, and that's how it looked.  Everything slows down when he's in front of goal type thing.

Was a brilliant finish.  The finish of a man who will score a lot this season.  I also hadn't realised in real time that he also started the move with Baz

Like others have said, didn't realise how strong and hard working he was either - keep that up, we have a new hero on our hands (all a bit premature I know, but great first impressions)

👍🏻   Spot on 

30 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

We need some serious whelms soon. 

:horse:

Rumour has it that Savage has engineered a straight swap ... Mohammad Salisu for Toby Sibbick. But, I think that we're getting robbed!

A $14M signing who coins in the best part of our entire squad. Check out this fine example of what a top EPL player has in his locker. He's totally unaware of what's behind him and instead of a 'dummy' he turns it into his own net with aplomb. Apprioximately 2:10 on this clip:-

Overpaid? Never!!!

Screenshot_20220808-133104_Chrome.jpg

3 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Olly Lee turned like an oil tanker and was a yard off the pace all the time. 

Yip ………. Never seen him pull off those wee turns to keep the ball like Jorge was doing on Sunday 

Central Belt 1874
30 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Yep I can see that.  Bit quicker and more physical though I'd say.  Hope his set pieces improve!

Away from finger pointing at individuals and subs and all that, my biggest disappointment in our performance was probably our set plays.  In the semi, final and this derby, our dead balls have been woeful.  So important in big games like this not to just give the ball back time and again having earnt a set piece in a good position and we seemt to do it constantly.  Not sure if it's poor delivery, guys in the middle not doing what they're supposed to, lack of prep or a combo of all, but it's something missing in our game.   Not a lot wrong with our play at the moment in truth, but get this sorted please!!

There was not much wrong with his corners.... most of them went to the penalty spot. Looked like our players were expecting them to always be in a different area, yet almost all his corners went to the exact same place. 

More work required at training between the players and Grant. 

2 minutes ago, Central Belt 1874 said:

There was not much wrong with his corners.... most of them went to the penalty spot. Looked like our players were expecting them to always be in a different area, yet almost all his corners went to the exact same place. 

More work required at training between the players and Grant. 

Aye as I say, not clear to me what's wrong, but it def ain't right!!  Semis, finals, derbies, set pieces can be huge, and we've not so much as threatened once in any of those games (excluding Kingsley's goal in semi obvs but I mean ball in to the box type set pieces)

No issue taking a look at a player and deciding not to offer a contract. Based on the highlights of Rangers v Kilmarnock I'd say Wright was nowhere near the level required. Davenport hasn't really played anywhere near enough football over the past 2 seasons. 

We definitely need to do some further business. In and out. 

4 hours ago, BackOfTheNet said:

He was evidently knackered and they were coming at us full pelt as they were encouraged to do. There’s about four players alone you can point the finger at in or around the box at the goal, but we should never have gotten to 90+5 with only a slender lead in the first place is my point. The game was there to be won and we blew it, on more than one occasion. I understand why their goal will be scrutinised more, but there’s multiple points in the second half where either we should’ve been at least 2-0 up or we could’ve changed things correctly to have more of a share of the ball and not be defending that slender lead so deep for so long. No one player should be made a scapegoat for yesterday.

Agree completely.  I do think Halkett was biggest culprit at their goal and spoiled a pretty perfect afternoon for him. And me.  Yes, lots of other opps to finish them off but you don’t expect one of your senior players to make an error like that. 

1 hour ago, RS86 said:

Feel like we need some pace up top still. If we had someone who was quick and could carry the ball when Boyce tired yesterday I think we could have stretched them more and probably held out instead of sitting back like we did.

That could have been Grant if he hadn’t started as a holding mid. Think he is much more valuable playing up front 

1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

He's a much better footballer than Olly Lee and quicker.

Definitely.

gorgieheart
2 hours ago, JamboAl said:

We have already signed 6 plus your 4=10 with presumably a new keeper to come as well.

That's a new team.

Doesn't seem much diferent from the previous regime's (and I quote) "scattergun approach".

you also chose to ignore the .....can see some leaving.... !

:muggy:

1 minute ago, gorgieheart said:

you also chose to ignore the .....can see some leaving.... !

:muggy:

Yes, but if you compare like with like, some left in the past also.

Did you choose to ignore that?

2 hours ago, JamboAl said:

We have already signed 6 plus your 4=10 with presumably a new keeper to come as well.

That's a new team.

Doesn't seem much diferent from the previous regime's (and I quote) "scattergun approach".

Reads as though you may yearn for the days of Levein & co.

Libertarian
18 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Agree completely.  I do think Halkett was biggest culprit at their goal and spoiled a pretty perfect afternoon for him. And me.  Yes, lots of other opps to finish them off but you don’t expect one of your senior players to make an error like that. 

I really don't like to point the finger at individual players, but Sibbick should have been much tighter to Boyle. Sibbick seemed to lose sight of Boyle and gave him much too much space for their equaliser. Sibbick is a young player and hopefully he will have learned something yesterday.

gorgieheart
Just now, JamboAl said:

Yes, but if you compare like with like, some left in the past also.

Did you choose to ignore that?

Cant ignore something you didnt say..chum !

Jog on and have a keyboard battle with somebody else

1 minute ago, Libertarian said:

I really don't like to point the finger at individual players, but Sibbick should have been much tighter to Boyle. Sibbick seemed to lose sight of Boyle and gave him much too much space for their equaliser. Sibbick is a young player and hopefully he will have learned something yesterday.

Boyle was playing on their right side, Sibbick was playing on our right!  If any players should have been tighter to Boyle it should have been Rowles, Cochrane, Haring, and Halkett before Sibbick.  If the cross had gone right across the goals to one of their players at back post would Sibbick have been at fault because he was trying to close down Boyle?   Seems Sibbick is the fall guy on here regardless of who makes the mistakes. At the goal he had actually noticed the space Boyle was given and was trying to close him down. 

43 minutes ago, H.M.F.C1874 said:

I know it’s not priority, but with Smith coming off with a feeling of pain yesterday and Atkinson not filling people with a lot of confidence regarding his defensive abilities. I would like to see the club go for Brooke Norton Cuffy on-loan. He has just signed a new deal with arsenal so I imagine he will be loaned out. 

Championship club bound I think. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug
4 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Boyle was playing on their right side, Sibbick was playing on our right!  If any players should have been tighter to Boyle it should have been Rowles, Cochrane, Haring, and Halkett before Sibbick.  If the cross had gone right across the goals to one of their players at back post would Sibbick have been at fault because he was trying to close down Boyle?   Seems Sibbick is the fall guy on here regardless of who makes the mistakes. At the goal he had actually noticed the space Boyle was given and was trying to close him down. 

I agree with this. Haven’t had the motivation to watch it again but two of our right sided defenders ended up defending our left hand side.

Halkett (if on his own side) would probably have slid in with his natural leading leg but maybe didn’t feel as confident tackling on his “wrong” side.

The main question is how did our defenders all end up out of position. Rowles seemed to end up outside the box and AWOL when it got to the cross and shot.

Lee could strike a ball and scored the odd winning goal for us. Grant looking OK so far but prone to making a clumsy challenge.

Tom Hardy’s Dug

This is why at least 3 quality signings (still to come) is so important for us. I hope recruitment is properly focussed on this as our current squad isn’t near strong enough to drive home the advantage:

From @TurnoverSPFL on twitter 

“The introduction of the Conference League, combined with our rising national coefficient, has profound consequences for the SPFL.

If Hearts can finish 3rd two seasons on the bounce then an unbridgeable financial chasm opens between them and Hibs, Aberdeen and Dundee Utd. “

Naisys Tackle
5 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

This is why at least 3 quality signings (still to come) is so important for us. I hope recruitment is properly focussed on this as our current squad isn’t near strong enough to drive home the advantage:

From @TurnoverSPFL on twitter 

“The introduction of the Conference League, combined with our rising national coefficient, has profound consequences for the SPFL.

If Hearts can finish 3rd two seasons on the bounce then an unbridgeable financial chasm opens between them and Hibs, Aberdeen and Dundee Utd. “

Unless of course if one fluke the Scottish or make the groups too. 

Finishing 3rd two,three seasons on the trot would be some achievement though.  Very rarely ever happens. 

9 minutes ago, Carter said:

Reads as though you may yearn for the days of Levein & co.

Not really.

I think we have done much better with signings, as we should have, considering the more professional and costlier resourced approach of this regime.

However we, me included, should not get carried away and it should be remembered that the more new players we sign, the less chance we have of progressing the academy players.  There is a balance to be struck as otherwise there is liittle point in having an academy.

BackOfTheNet
16 minutes ago, One five said:

After today 23 days until the door slams shut on this transfer window , just saying 🤷‍♂️

We’ll be averaging over a signing a week between now and the window closing according to some 👀 

Naisys Tackle
1 minute ago, JamboAl said:

Not really.

I think we have done much better with signings, as we should have, considering the more professional and costlier resourced approach of this regime.

However we, me included, should not get carried away and it should be remembered that the more new players we sign, the less chance we have of progressing the academy players.  There is a balance to be struck as otherwise there is liittle point in having an academy.

The academy will become successful when there becomes players good enough to play at the level we are at and not play just for the sake of it because they have came through the academy.  Same goes for most teams apart from those that are dependent on developing players from the academy to play at mid/lower table football. 

5 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

We’ll be averaging over a signing a week between now and the window closing according to some 👀 

😎

32 minutes ago, gorgieheart said:

Cant ignore something you didnt say..chum !

Jog on and have a keyboard battle with somebody else

No, but someone as intelligent as you would have seen the obvious.

Now you can jog on to your heart's content

13 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Not really.

Frank McAvoy has been in role for less than 6 months. Seems to have brought in a few players from other clubs (few from Rangers). Academy does need to start producing players who can come in and add to what we've got. I remember Levein saying by bringing through our own players we could develop a quality of player that would be beyond our reach in the transfer market. There has been precious little sign of anything remotely close. 

We're now in ninth year of the Budge era. Reasonable to expect the Academy to start delivering soon ir questions will inevitably be asked as to the viability. 

Edited by Carter

Tom Hardy’s Dug

One thing that is really noticeable from our first two games.

Pace.

We dont really have any. County did and were unlucky not to benefit. Hibs did but didn’t use it properly.

We've spoken about getting pace in attack for two years now…

Lord Beni of Gorgie
10 minutes ago, Carter said:

Frank McAvoy has been in role for less than 6 months. Seems to have brought in a few players from other clubs (few from Rangers). Academy does need to start producing players who can come in and add to what we've got. I remember Levein saying by bringing through our own players we could develop a quality of player that would be beyond our reach in the transfer market. There has been precious little sign of anything remotely close. 

We're now in ninth year of the Budge era. Reasonable to expect the Academy to start delivering soon ir questions will inevitably be asked as to the viability. 

I think you answered the question in final sentence, in your first sentence to be honest

4 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Pace.

We dont really have any. County did and were unlucky not to benefit. Hibs did but didn’t use it properly.

Gino was meant to solve this but blows hot and cold too much. Thought Charles cook or hungbo would be an option 

7 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

I think you answered the question in final sentence, in your first sentence to be honest

I guess so. Seems the previous management didn't really properly get to grips with the Academy. 

McAvoy is seemingly well respected. Seems notable he is picking guys up around 17/18 who've failed to make it at Rangers. These lads must have talent to have got to where they did at clubs of that stature. 

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo if Devenport and Seung-Woo not happening (or the latter unlikely), what's our next rumour....!?!?!?!

gorgieheart
40 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

No, but someone as intelligent as you would have seen the obvious.

Now you can jog on to your heart's content

tiresome !

gorgieheart
30 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Pace.

Agreed, seems a certain lethargy in the final 3rd and we dont have the tools to fix it....yet

22 hours ago, KyleLafferty said:

How can people say Grant, Forrest and Shankland haven’t improved our squad? It’s been said a million times that we aren’t spending all the money we got from Europe, and it will be spread out over the years so we can keep building. There is also 3 weeks left of the window.

Cause they expect us to be splashing out millions on players.I honestly don't know where they think we are getting these players they think we should have for the wages we can pay it's bonkers.

jamboinglasgow
15 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo if Devenport and Seung-Woo not happening (or the latter unlikely), what's our next rumour....!?!?!?!

Every day, hour, minute and second we are closer to our next signing.....sadly that next signing is in the January window 😛 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 minute ago, vegas-voss said:

Cause they expect us to be splashing out millions on players.I honestly don't know where they think we are getting these players they think we should have for the wages we can pay it's bonkers.

I think the truth is somewhere in between. None of these guys have played at a higher level, but doesn't mean to say they can not or will not improve the squad. However I remain very optimistic our spend on the ones in to date, will be more than matched by 2 or 3 bits of quality. To be fair I think Rowles is the best of the 3 Australian signings and by a good bit, looks a proper player to me. Couple more of his ilk in midfield and up top, is what we are after, playmaker and speedster up front.

2 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Every day, hour, minute and second we are closer to our next signing.....sadly that next signing is in the January window 😛 

Not funny!

• davemclaren changed the title to *** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***