*** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***

dazajmbo

BackOfTheNet
2 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Sorry about this as been mentioned and I can't find it through google somehow - what is the deadline for registering players for our Euro ties?

Friday is the registration date, although I think a final registration can be amended until the day before the tie with up to 3 substitutions in the registration. So we could in theory sign someone on the 17th and register them, but they need to either replace someone else who was registered or take a space that we left vacant. I think.

• Replies 39.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RustyRightPeg

• Sooks

• Bazzas right boot

• BackOfTheNet

1 minute ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Friday is the registration date, although I think a final registration can be amended until the day before the tie with up to 3 substitutions in the registration. So we could in theory sign someone on the 17th and register them, but they need to either replace someone else who was registered or take a space that we left vacant. I think.

Ah OK, thanks for that.

Internet make bigO impatient.  Want signing now.

Rudi cant fail
14 hours ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Other clubs around us have managed

why can’t we?

Maybe because we are going for higher profile targets and potentially missing out on them?

We are 2 thirds of the way through the transfer window and 2 games into the season with quite a bit of important business to do.

RustyRightPeg
15 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

You would hope so, but we thought the same after Wright didn't get a contract and no CB came in.

If we sign no one by Thursday, then it will be closer to the window closing then our last signing. Though could mean things could get busy in those last 3 weeks.

True.

Although things are a bit more pressing now and no matter how you want to gloss it up, we were 30 seconds or so from 6 points out of 6 but even the most confident fan would say we’ve looked significantly short of replacements in both games. 

Hackney Hearts
1 hour ago, Debut 4 said:

We can pick holes all day but trying to get back in defensively while under the counter attack leaves you open to anything.  

Looking back and If we pick faults for a minute, Cochrane really doesn’t bust a gut to get back, kind of caught day dreaming.  Sibbick probably needs to have a half look over his shoulder as most good defenders would, just before the obvious moment the ball is about to come over.   But is simply drawn to watching the ball.  

Uncharacteristically, Halkett commits himself too early, pulls out a challenge but it allows just a wee bit more space for the Hibs player to get the ball over. 

It makes it look like one flaw after another, but that’s football in the heat of the moment. You rely on players to make the right decision but it doesn’t always happen. 

Best analysis I've seen yet.

A number of players could/should have done better. Saying it was entirely down to Sibbick is crazy and just seems like lazy scapegoating. Maybe it stems from his mistake in the semi, but he now gets blamed for everything from the cost of living crisis to global warming.

BackOfTheNet
17 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Ah OK, thanks for that.

Internet make bigO impatient.  Want signing now.

Totally get that. It’s still not been 3 weeks since we signed Shankland (will be on Wednesday), but feels like it’s been 3 months.

Jambo in Bathgate
3 minutes ago, Hackney Hearts said:

A number of players could/should have done better. Saying it was entirely down to Sibbick is crazy and just seems like lazy scapegoating. Maybe it stems from his mistake in the semi, but he now gets blamed for everything from the cost of living crisis to global warming.

Football is a team game. They win, draw or lose together. However, it seems to be the fans way to demand a scapegoat. Sibbick had been playing well. The goal came because the team sat back and didn’t defend in the Hibs half. With a minute to go the ball should have been up at the hibs end and held at the corner flag. 

10 minutes ago, Hackney Hearts said:

I'd also suggest Haring could have been closer to being infront of the Hibs attacker at the initial throw stopping that ball getting to him.  Doesn't make the goal Pete's fault, just a bunch of little glimpses of hope given and hibs scored what in truth was a good goal.

Gutter and the boys should have dealt with it, not sure finger pointing will help anyone and I'm sure it'll be dissected at Riccarton.

34 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Nobody knows if a player is ready until they get the chance, we failed Harry Cochrane massively as we have with others with not helping them progress into first team players. 
Youth players will be helped by playing games again and getting a good level of coaching. He still won’t play them. Atkinson is 23 btw. 

I know Atkinson is 23, ages with Henderson (22) and Cochrane (22). 

The White Cockade

Shankland looks a great signing 

Not the player some led us to believe was unfit and sits in 18 yard box waiting for the ball

Strong, aggressive, gets back to support and a real goalscorer

Delighted so far

Obviously need another forward as backup and a decent defender 

As for tactics we can all see that we have great attacking options and still a bit fragile at the back so hopefully Robbie can commit to an aggressive positive formation as we will score the goals to win games 

Grant is a creative and positive midfielder so hope he’s only playing DM due to injuries

34 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

You would hope so, but we thought the same after Wright didn't get a contract and no CB came in.

If we sign no one by Thursday, then it will be closer to the window closing then our last signing. Though could mean things could get busy in those last 3 weeks.

Difference is I don't think Wright was ever getting a contract as he isn't the level/type of CB we're after. I think we were doing him a favour after pulling out of the deal last year. 

AllyjamboDerbyshire
35 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Had a feeling Davenport would be a 'no'. We rarely seem to offer deals to those on trial? Hey ho...NEXT!

I never get too enthusiastic over a player on trial unless they are of a reasonably high, and known, quality and just need to prove their fitness and desire to play. Someone like (only saying this name as he's been mentioned quite often on JKB) Andy Carroll, who, if he remained relatively injury free, would undoubtedly bring something positive to the team. Davenport had no such pedigree to get the whelms rising and there's no disappointment for me that he's not signing. I expect, though, that past regimes would have offered him a deal just to make it look like they were building a squad.

H.M.F.C1874
Just now, H.M.F.C1874 said:

Giancarlo Gallifuoco

I sincerely hope this is a wind up, I seen it on Twitter and thought I’d post it. 

davemclaren
40 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

So leaving a vacant space or two might tell us something. 🥸

The loan market has served us well in the past few seasons, surely something we are looking at?? Premier League clubs will be getting closer to knowing what they are doing for the new season, squad wise, hopefully a couple of deals to be done there.

15 minutes ago, H.M.F.C1874 said:

I sincerely hope this is a wind up, I seen it on Twitter and thought I’d post it. 

Wouldn't think he would be of the required standard.

Feel like we need some pace up top still. If we had someone who was quick and could carry the ball when Boyce tired yesterday I think we could have stretched them more and probably held out instead of sitting back like we did.

3 minutes ago, E3OBE said:

The loan market has served us well in the past few seasons, surely something we are looking at?? Premier League clubs will be getting closer to knowing what they are doing for the new season, squad wise, hopefully a couple of deals to be done there.

I would imagine, with zero insight, that we have a couple of dudes we want to get in if we can on perms (Korean lad for example) but have backups in the loan market should we not manage. 

Guess same applies to loan market it a way, if Elliot Anderson came on to the market cos Newcastle signed someone in his position, I'd think we'd jump at the chance.  Either way, no doubt we'll have had conversations with a couple of contacts at Everton and the likes to sound out loans should we need them.

I wonder how much importance the club see in having new faces for the Zurich games.  As it happens, if Dev and Kingsley are back, I think we look strong anyway, so perhaps can be patient.  More patient than I'm capable of anyway.

28 minutes ago, The White Cockade said:

Shankland looks a great signing 

Not the player some led us to believe was unfit and sits in 18 yard box waiting for the ball

Strong, aggressive, gets back to support and a real goalscorer

Delighted so far

Obviously need another forward as backup and a decent defender 

As for tactics we can all see that we have great attacking options and still a bit fragile at the back so hopefully Robbie can commit to an aggressive positive formation as we will score the goals to win games 

Grant is a creative and positive midfielder so hope he’s only playing DM due to injuries

The way he took the goal was a delight. If there is such a thing, it was a proper centre forward’s goal imo.  

Immediate hunger to make something of a lovely ball, knew how to hold off the defender and steered the ball goalwards coolly.  

21 minutes ago, H.M.F.C1874 said:

Comes from a guy on Twitter posting fake evening news links. His first tweet was yesterday.:lol:

BackOfTheNet
20 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

So leaving a vacant space or two might tell us something. 🥸

Maybe, maybe not. We only have Gordon and Henderson that fit the club grown criteria that would need to be registered. All the others at the club that fit the club grown are young enough to be included in the ‘B Team’ registration which has no limit in numbers. So we’ll likely have two vacant spots regardless. The way it works is we have to have 4 club grown and 8 homegrown. Gordon and Henderson count for both types, so we need to have 6 home grown and 2 club grown. If we can’t, and the likelihood is we can’t on the club grown unless we include youngsters we don’t need to, then we have to leave enough vacant spaces to compensate.

So, we’ll likely only register a squad of 23 and leave 2 vacant spaces. But if we sign someone then we can’t just include them in the vacant spot (unless they were considered club grown, like a MacDonald/Paterson type) and we’d have to de-register someone to register the new signing, still leaving two vacant spots. Tricky.

Pasquale for King
7 minutes ago, Chaps said:

Jorge Grant has shades of Olly Lee about him.

Yeah he does actually, but much quicker thankfully. 

davemclaren
Just now, BackOfTheNet said:

Maybe, maybe not. We only have Gordon and Henderson that fit the club grown criteria that would need to be registered. All the others at the club that fit the club grown are young enough to be included in the ‘B Team’ registration which has no limit in numbers. So we’ll likely have two vacant spots regardless. The way it works is we have to have 4 club grown and 8 homegrown. Gordon and Henderson count for both types, so we need to have 6 home grown and 2 club grown. If we can’t, and the likelihood is we can’t on the club grown unless we include youngsters we don’t need to, then we have to leave enough vacant spaces to compensate.

So, we’ll likely only register a squad of 23 and leave 2 vacant spaces. But if we sign someone then we can’t just include them in the vacant spot (unless they were considered club grown, like a MacDonald/Paterson type) and we’d have to de-register someone to register the new signing, still leaving two vacant spots. Tricky.

Thanks for the ‘clarification’. 🥸

jambo_4_eva
1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

It’s the managers job to help them be good enough, he doesn’t improve players. Every other team in the league introduces youngsters into their team, even the uglies. We had Gordon and Kirk I think in the league last season, which is frankly a disgrace and we will only play them if we are struggling. He constantly plays players out of position when there’s no need for it instead of youngsters. 
We are harsh on youngsters no doubt, whilst allowing bog standard mature pros like Halliday away with murder, I don’t though. Sibbick doesn’t seem to have any confidence just now but again that’s down to the manager to instill it in his players. 

I'm lost, tell me one hearts manager in last 22 years that developed all this youth. Its called keeping your job. If they're good enough they make the squad. Have one of the youngest squads in the league but that doesn't fit your narrative. Remind you also it takes years to develop youth. Most of young players you mentioned were  brought from levein as director of football days. 

davemclaren
Just now, BackOfTheNet said:

About clear as mud isn’t it? :lol:

I’ve read it twice and still not convinced I fully understand it. 😄

11 minutes ago, Chaps said:

He's a much better footballer than Olly Lee and quicker.

heartsfc_fan
8 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Does Connor Smith count as home grown?

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, jambo_4_eva said:

I'm lost, tell me one hearts manager in last 22 years that developed all this youth. Its called keeping your job. If they're good enough they make the squad. Have one of the youngest squads in the league but that doesn't fit your narrative. Remind you also it takes years to develop youth. Most of young players you mentioned were  brought from levein as director of football days. 

Every other team in the league has introduced youngsters into their team season after season, we haven’t since we came out of administration. Budge admitted that not helping our youngsters progress was a problem that needed sorted, it’s part of being a football club. 
Every manager has developed youngsters, even Stendel got a tune out of Lewis Moore, Andy Irving and Euan Henderson.  
Seeing as you mentioned them would Levein constantly sticking by a right back that couldn’t pass or cross, scored two goals in ten years, played a better right back on the left to accommodate this limited player count for you? If anyone should know how a manager has to deal with youngsters and give them a chance it’s our manager.  

Pasquale for King
6 minutes ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Does Connor Smith count as home grown?

Yeah he and Pollock will

make up the quota unless we resign someone that came through our academy. 

Pasquale for King
10 minutes ago, brux said:

😂😂 all right all right, mixed him hip with Henderson 

Easy done 👍🏽

24 minutes ago, Chaps said:

Yep I can see that.  Bit quicker and more physical though I'd say.  Hope his set pieces improve!

Away from finger pointing at individuals and subs and all that, my biggest disappointment in our performance was probably our set plays.  In the semi, final and this derby, our dead balls have been woeful.  So important in big games like this not to just give the ball back time and again having earnt a set piece in a good position and we seemt to do it constantly.  Not sure if it's poor delivery, guys in the middle not doing what they're supposed to, lack of prep or a combo of all, but it's something missing in our game.   Not a lot wrong with our play at the moment in truth, but get this sorted please!!

BackOfTheNet
Just now, davemclaren said:

I’ve read it twice and still not convinced I fully understand it. 😄

Will try and clarify. We can register a squad of 25. But the rules are we need at least 8 to be considered home grown (trained 3 years in Scotland before a certain age). And we need 4 of them registers to be club grown (trained 3 years at the club before a certain age). Players that fit both criteria can be used for both criteria numbers.

So let’s say our squad is as follows:

1. Craig Gordon [C] (H)

2. Ross Stewart (H)

3. Michael Smith

4. Stephen Kingsley (H)

5. Craig Halkett (H)

6. Peter Haring

7. Beni Baningime

8. Jorge Grant

9. Lawrence Shankland (H)

10. Liam Boyce

11. GMS (H)

12. Nathaniel Atkinson

13. Cammy Devlin

14. Kye Rowles

15. Andy Halliday (H)

16. Alan Forrest (H)

17. Barrie McKay (H)

18. Alex Cochrane

19. Lewis Neilson (H)

20. Toby Sibbick

21. Euan Henderson [C] (H)

22. Josh Ginnelly

Players like Stone, Pollock, McGill and Connor Smith don’t need to be included as they’re young enough and have been at the club long enough.

But as you can see we only have 2 club grown players. (But 11 home grown players) So, therefore, we can only register 23 players to leave 2 spaces vacant for the club grown we cannot fill - unless we put players like Stone or Pollock there that we don’t need to as they’re eligible to play without being registered in that 25 man squad.

So, we can still sign one more and include in the squad without taking anyone else out. But if we’re wanting 3 or 4 in, someone will have to miss out. Obvious next one could be Baningime as he’ll miss all the group games anyway. But after that you’re looking at players that would need to be dropped from the squad and you’ll likely have to hope they’re on their way out as they won’t be a happy presence around if they’re not eligible to play in Europe.

29 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

The way he took the goal was a delight. If there is such a thing, it was a proper centre forward’s goal imo.  

Immediate hunger to make something of a lovely ball, knew how to hold off the defender and steered the ball goalwards coolly.  

Watched it again this morning.  He really takes his time on the finish.  Doesn't snatch and actually takes one more step than you might think - that's a guy who knows where everything is.  You here the likes of Ian Wright saying you turn to ice when there's a chance, and that's how it looked.  Everything slows down when he's in front of goal type thing.

Was a brilliant finish.  The finish of a man who will score a lot this season.  I also hadn't realised in real time that he also started the move with Baz

Like others have said, didn't realise how strong and hard working he was either - keep that up, we have a new hero on our hands (all a bit premature I know, but great first impressions)

BackOfTheNet
16 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

FTFY

Christ, but gets around. What on earth has went on there. He just joined Edinburgh and he’s off again?

• davemclaren changed the title to *** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***