*** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***

dazajmbo

Just now, Phil D. Corners said:

Good news. 

Im trying to keep my welms in check, but Savage is getting me very excited. 

If we sign Ronan Simms and Shankland added to what we have already then we will probably have our best squad since 2005 

• Replies 39.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RustyRightPeg

• Sooks

• Bazzas right boot

• BackOfTheNet

Guess The Crowd
9 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

A tad pedantic, but Halkett to return later this month - says Barry at 6.30pm on June 30th….,  

TyphoonJambo

Talking to a guy at the friendly this afternoon who has been watching the training sessions. He had a good conversation with Savage who reckons Simms no more than a 30% chance of signing

TyphoonJambo
7 minutes ago, Sooks said:

If we sign Ronan Simms and Shankland added to what we have already then we will probably have our best squad since 2005 

100%

6 minutes ago, TypoonJambo said:

Talking to a guy at the friendly this afternoon who has been watching the training sessions. He had a good conversation with Savage who reckons Simms no more than a 30% chance of signing

You just know the Simms saga is going to go to the last minute of the window.

7 minutes ago, TypoonJambo said:

Would Savage say if it was a done deal though? Cards close to chest etc 

jamboinglasgow
Just now, franko1874 said:

Yeah, I agree (though not saying we are close to a deal) but it suits him to downplay the chances of getting Simms (or any signing) till its done as he could think its 90% certain, tell people that, then it falls through and people get angry saying "you said he was coming."

TyphoonJambo
2 minutes ago, franko1874 said:

Ah, the good old double bluff eh!!!

27 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Bamderson at it again - title and subtitle make it sound like we’ve signed him

10 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

Dave Cormack seemed pretty smugly confident about signing Ronan on Twitter 🤔

It’s sign him just to run it in that silly wee yanks face 

indianajones
11 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

Dave Cormack seemed pretty smugly confident about signing Ronan on Twitter 🤔

They might yet but it wont change the fact that Dave Cormack is a total mooth piece. 

Glad we dont have anyone like him/ron anywhere near our club. 

Watt-Zeefuik
8 hours ago, Martin_T said:

It really isn't.

When Leicester won the league in 2016, their wage bill ratio to the 'big 6' was around 1:2/2.5. So roughly around half of what say Liverpool spend on wages.

For comparison Rangers and Celtic currently spend around 8x the budgets of the next biggest clubs Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen. And around 14x the likes of Motherwell.

La Liga is possibly a bit more relevant, but even then Real Madrid have around 4x the budget of Atletico, which is still around half the deficit in Scotland.

This is of course not accounting for Rangers and Celtic's capacity to spend several million on transfer fees each year, whereas the next biggest spend is typically a few hundred thousand at most.

Hearts or any other non 'Old Firm' team winning the league in those circumstances, really would be one of the greatest footballing miracles in history.

From the latest public figures from the Global Sport Salary Survey are from the 2019-2020 season, yes, 8x is about right for a Celtic:Hearts ratio, however on a per-player salary basis, the Rangers:Hearts ratio is about 4.6. Normally I'd say a Rangers have a much bigger squad which stretches that a bit, but this was in 2019-2020 when we had a fairly bloated squad, so the difference won't be as much as it is today. (I don't trust either fully, but on both Wikipedia and TransferMrkt's squad listings, our squad list is longer than Rangers.)

image.thumb.png.5a69bccc6f94484a420598bbf3992442.png

The GSSS doesn't include total wage bills for every team, but in their explanatory text they do include Rangers as having a wage bill of £34.5m and Celtic's as £59m. I can't find any estimates of Hearts' wage bill, but Football League FC estimates Aberdeen's at around £9m from 2020-2021 (https://footballleaguefc.com/aberdeen-fc-player-wages/ ) That's based on around £15m in turnover, which has been our recent non-pandemic turnover without European football, so our wage bill may also be around £8-9m. Again, that puts Celtic at around 7.5x our wages and Rangers at around 4x our wages.

Further, that's without our European revenue. We're obviously being wisely cautious with a one year tranche, but we've all discussed how this is probably an additional £5m in revenue this season, and that's not counting income from Hickey. If we could get European football more often than not, we can close the multiplier on Rangers to close to 3x, and now we're getting into Atletico territory, and certainly better than Lille:PSG ratios.

UECL group stages, if we can qualify for them regularly, change everything.

1 hour ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Are they? How do you know that? Absolutely shocking if thats for real

EIA. Exercise Induced Asthma. Estimated 30% of elite footballers have it. Let's say some are sceptical...

Edited by Wilson

Ronan is the signing that excites me the most - we are desperately needing midfield creativity.  It allows us to seamlessly move to 4-4-2 should we need to when 3 at the back is not working and will hopefully produce more goals.

Phil D. Corners
33 minutes ago, Sooks said:

If that all comes off I’ll be very impressed. 

Just now, Rods said:

If we don’t get Simms which would be disappointing . I reckon Joe will have something up his sleeve. 

He is the Paul Daniels of recruitment.

Say “yes Joe”!!!

Midloth_Iain
2 minutes ago, Mr Sifter said:

Can someone please post up this latest Barry Anderson article on Ronan? I can’t see it on the EN site as I’m not an uber fan 🙄

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/hearts-confirm-connor-ronan-move-as-they-prepare-more-signings-3752235

The Edinburgh club are keen on a loan or permanent transfer for Ronan but won’t pay a potential £500,000 fee for a player under contract until 2024. They must wait until Wolves decide whether to keep the player for the season ahead, with Aberdeen also keen to bring him back to Scotland.

“He obviously did very well at St Mirren last year. He is one of a number of guys we are looking at right at the moment. He is a Wolves player and it will come down to what they want to do,” said Neilson following Thursday’s 4-0 friendly win over Europa FC in Spain.

“We still need to add more to the squad. We had 17 outfield players here today so we need to get more. Up front, at the back, midfield, everywhere. We just need to add a bit more and a bit more.”

Australian internationalists Kye Rowles and Nathaniel Atkinson will join Hearts next Thursday, July 7, after being given an extended summer break. Captain Craig Gordon is being eased gently back into games and will miss upcoming friendlies against East Fife and Spartans.

“We go back now and we are playing Tuesday, Wednesday, Saturday. Some young ones will come in to join the squad as well so I’m looking forward to it,” said Neilson.

“Craig won’t be involved on Tuesday or Wednesday. His first game will be the Bonnyrigg game, just to give him a bit of extra time. He could have stayed off with the Australian boys but he wanted to come train and be here.”

Alan Forrest scored twice, with Euan Henderson and Gary Mackay-Steven also claiming goals against Europa. “It was the first pre-season game, nobody got injured and everybody got through it so I’m pleased. We got the new guys integrated into the squad and the fitness levels went up so it’s been a great trip,” said Neilson after seven days in southern Spain.

“I was delighted with Alan. He improved at Ayr and Livingston and hopefully he will get better here as well.He gives you pace and directness.”

Craig Halkett is due to return to action later this month as he recovers from surgery on his ankle last month.

6 minutes ago, Mr Sifter said:

Can someone please post up this latest Barry Anderson article on Ronan? I can’t see it on the EN site as I’m not an uber fan 🙄

Delete

Captured by @Midloth_Iain above
Edited by DETTY29

5 hours ago, Leisham38 said:

You’d be a terrible at a Hearts quiz night. 

Unless he was the quizmaster

Dont think Neilson would talk about Ronan in the press unless there was a good chance he will be joining us, suspect this one could be as good as done

1 hour ago, Sooks said:

Good feeling about him I hope he signs

With better players around him (as opposed to the dross at st liedown) he could be a star. 

51 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

From the latest public figures from the Global Sport Salary Survey are from the 2019-2020 season, yes, 8x is about right for a Celtic:Hearts ratio, however on a per-player salary basis, the Rangers:Hearts ratio is about 4.6. Normally I'd say a Rangers have a much bigger squad which stretches that a bit, but this was in 2019-2020 when we had a fairly bloated squad, so the difference won't be as much as it is today. (I don't trust either fully, but on both Wikipedia and TransferMrkt's squad listings, our squad list is longer than Rangers.)

image.thumb.png.5a69bccc6f94484a420598bbf3992442.png

The GSSS doesn't include total wage bills for every team, but in their explanatory text they do include Rangers as having a wage bill of £34.5m and Celtic's as £59m. I can't find any estimates of Hearts' wage bill, but Football League FC estimates Aberdeen's at around £9m from 2020-2021 (https://footballleaguefc.com/aberdeen-fc-player-wages/ ) That's based on around £15m in turnover, which has been our recent non-pandemic turnover without European football, so our wage bill may also be around £8-9m. Again, that puts Celtic at around 7.5x our wages and Rangers at around 4x our wages.

Further, that's without our European revenue. We're obviously being wisely cautious with a one year tranche, but we've all discussed how this is probably an additional £5m in revenue this season, and that's not counting income from Hickey. If we could get European football more often than not, we can close the multiplier on Rangers to close to 3x, and now we're getting into Atletico territory, and certainly better than Lille:PSG ratios.

UECL group stages, if we can qualify for them regularly, change everything.

Rangers and Celtic's wage bills have/will further expand given in Celtic's case, guaranteed CL income in the coming season and Rangers potential CL income, in addition to their European income from last season.

It wouldn't surprise me if both operate with budgets even greater multiples in the coming season.

Rick Sanchez
6 minutes ago, 19/05/2012 said:

Dont think Neilson would talk about Ronan in the press unless there was a good chance he will be joining us, suspect this one could be as good as done

He's certainly not a done deal to Aberdeen anyway. Hopefully he's up for a look about before he chooses.

No brainer decision.

Rogue Daddy
1 hour ago, Halliphax said:

Bamderson at it again - title and subtitle make it sound like we’ve signed him

Know what you mean… that’s why I posted it! Got a bit excited! Not bad news though. 

sandylejambo

saw the Banderson thing and fell for the click bate, I hate the thought of me being responsible for delaying their demise.

15 minutes ago, 19/05/2012 said:

That or a smokescreen for another target are my thoughts

1 hour ago, Led Tasso said:

Ronan Ronan Ronan,

Keep them signings rollin'

No strikers at the moment

Rawhide!

YeeeHaaawwww!!!

Watt-Zeefuik
16 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

Rangers and Celtic's wage bills have/will further expand given in Celtic's case, guaranteed CL income in the coming season and Rangers potential CL income, in addition to their European income from last season.

It wouldn't surprise me if both operate with budgets even greater multiples in the coming season.

Celtic have had CL group stage and even knockout round income occasionally over the past decade. It hasn't fundamentally altered the dynamics of the SPFL before and it won't this year. The year before that 2019-20 season both clubs made the Europa group stages and Celtic made the round of 32.

If either club starts locking up the CL group stages every season, then there's a chance for one of them to pull away from the other. Both clubs have routinely struggled to get through the CL playoff rounds on their own. At the very least, if we qualify for regular group stages, we'll close the gap on one of the cheeks, even if the other pulls away.

Edited by Led Tasso

1 hour ago, Rudy T said:

You just know the Simms saga is going to go to the last minute of the window.

We can’t afford to let it.

Hungry hippo

I'd be very surprised if Shankland doesn't sign reading between the lines of everything that's been reported. Pretty sure his current team are happy to offload and I think he wants to come to Hearts so will just be a matter of negotiating a fee.

Simms and Ronan seem less certain but clearly trying for them both of them also.

Edited by Hungry hippo

1 minute ago, Agentjambo said:

We can’t afford to let it.

So what’s the cut off point do you think, we need two strikers and if we had two lined up as good as Simms or at least one would we even bother pursuing simms at this stage?

jamboinglasgow

I think the evening news is overblowing it with the headline. It seems to read as Robbie is asked about Ronan, and he says they would like to sign him but Wolves need to decide what they want to do. Pretty much the same as it has been for weeks.

2 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

So what’s the cut off point do you think, we need two strikers and if we had two lined up as good as Simms or at least one would we even bother pursuing simms at this stage?

I’d have hoped to have had all our forward players signed before the end of the window,that’s all I’m saying.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
2 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

I think the evening news is overblowing it with the headline. It seems to read as Robbie is asked about Ronan, and he says they would like to sign him but Wolves need to decide what they want to do. Pretty much the same as it has been for weeks.

Still surprised he made the comment waiting for Wolves to make a decision. Definitely implied that there's contact 

Give it an hour someone will be along claiming to be ITK and Ronan is a done deal, then disappear or leave a few 👍👍or 😉😉

LarrysRightFoot

Think Ronan would be a good acquisition. I’d like to see us move for Levitt but can’t see signing both. 

6 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

I’d have hoped to have had all our forward players signed before the end of the window,that’s all I’m saying.

I think we all do but it’s a quandary with Simms if there’s a chance do we hold off on other signings or so we say to him and Everton decide by X date or it’s a non starter🤷‍♂️

Lord Beni of Gorgie
3 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

Need striker in before start of the season. Week before or earlier preferably.

At least one, still 3 weeks, Beni arrived only a few days before, Ellis on day of a game. Players of their quality can still make an impact just prior to a game, in a perfect world they'd have a full pre season with us

• davemclaren changed the title to *** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***