*** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***

dazajmbo

loveofthegame

For me it’s all about improving on last season’s starting xi and obviously adding depth to the squad given the 8 extra games between august and November. 

So far it’s difficult to argue we’ve improved our actual best starting 11 at all, albeit I’ve high hopes for Rowles in particular (but hard to say he’s going to currently be in Souttar’s league). 

goalkeeper- Ok impossible to improve no1 but still got the same suspect backup 

defence- hopefully cochrane and atkinson get even better this year but as said above, Rowles will have to be some player to strengthen us from souttar. Still, not particularly concerned I think we’re strong at the back in all areas.

midfield- we’ve lost Bene until Xmas from last years strongest team and added little (assuming Grant will play further forward).

wide men/10s - keeping boyce and adding forrest and grant means we’re hopefully going to have more depth than last season but feel we still need at least 1 more.

strikers- we’re currently far weaker having lost Simms and to a far lesser degree, woodburn

End of June report card- not worried yet but still a lot to do, particularly up front. Ideally I’d hope we’ll add a backup keeper (I suspect we won’t…), centre mid, attacking mid and 2-3 strikers.  

• Replies 39.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RustyRightPeg

• Sooks

• Bazzas right boot

• BackOfTheNet

15 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

That opens up a gap over Aberdeen and Hibs. It does nothing to address the issue. If Celtic are in Champions League and Rangers get to the later stages of the Europa League the gap becomes bigger. We really need incredible recruitment or an incredible batch of academy players to make the holy grail a reality ...

Or a determined squad of players with a winning mentality. 

Mr Elwood P
1 minute ago, jr ewing said:

Or a determined squad of players with a winning mentality. 

The Old Firm have that plus the millions to buy players who are actually better at football though. 

32 minutes ago, innerjambo said:

From finishing 3rd every season, and getting to the Europa group stages. And then eventually, doing a Leicester 😎

Leicester did a Leicester in part because all the usual challengers had relatively/very poor seasons. Even then, Spurs and Arsenal both had chances to catch them and win in but both Hibsed it

If were going to win the league we’ll need the OF to be in transition or just have a poor season and we’ll have to be right on it almost every game. Lose more than 3 or 4 and you’re not winning the SPFL ordinarily

The Future's Maroon
5 hours ago, Korky said:

Don’t we still owe Budge around 3m?

Ask the provy guy who comes weekly as I’m positive you know who I mean 😉 

1 hour ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Where are we going to get the funds from? Celtic have Champions League money ...

I really don't get this attitude. Yes Rangers and Celtic have a budget that's multiple times our own but we don't have to play them 38 times a season. We already showed last season that we are able to take points off them, that tally will only improve as we strengthen the squad.

If we get to the stage where we can regularly go to places like Pittodrie, McDiarmid Park and Fir Park and win, we'll be right up there at the end of the season.

I think our best chance of ever winning a league which still has the old firm in it would be in a 16 or 18 team league where we'd only play them twice. Playing them 4 times a season means it is so difficult to get the better of them. We'd really need to win both home games and pick up at least a point away from home against both of them and as others have said massively improve our away performances so we go to places like Dingwall, Motherwell, Perth and Aberdeen and consistently bring home 3 points at each visit.  While our away performance did improve we still dropped too many points away from home to mount any real challenge.  I think we dropped 22 points against non old firm teams away from home last season, which if we genuinely believe we can close the gap needs to be realistically around 5 or 6 to gey us close plus we dropped 11 at home too. Again we need that to be down to 3 or 4 max to give us a chance. That's 33 points which went missing last season plus we took 1 out of 12 against Rangers and 3 against Celtic. We finished 32 points behind Celtic so had we win against everyone else home and away we would have won the league. Is this realistic though? Probably not but definitely room for improvement. A big turnaround would be required to be honest especially as everyone else will be strengthening their teams year on year too.

Bazzas right boot
6 hours ago, Korky said:

Don’t we still owe Budge around 3m?

We owe her a lot more than that, in terms of finance I don't know. 

Whatever the amount, She's not demanding it back next week tho. 

We are  financially better of than last season, quite a bit. 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, innerjambo said:

From finishing 3rd every season, and getting to the Europa group stages. And then eventually, doing a Leicester 😎

Us getting the better of the OF over a season would eclipse the achievement of Leicester by a distance. 

15 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Us getting the better of the OF over a season would eclipse the achievement of Leicester by a distance. 

Leicester won the Premier League with a wage bill one third of the highest wage bill in the league (£80m compared to Manchester United's £241m), which is much closer than the gulf between us and the Firm.

If we can keep a consistent squad and get into Europe consistently, then sponsorship, prize money, inflated player sales, etc could maybe get us into that long-shot range.

Even then, you'd just about need signings like Beni to become the norm, with a few more established signings added on top of that. (Which is probably what some of us are expecting from Savage given his track record so far)

Mr Elwood P
1 hour ago, andrew said:

I really don't get this attitude. Yes Rangers and Celtic have a budget that's multiple times our own but we don't have to play them 38 times a season. We already showed last season that we are able to take points off them, that tally will only improve as we strengthen the squad.

If we get to the stage where we can regularly go to places like Pittodrie, McDiarmid Park and Fir Park and win, we'll be right up there at the end of the season.

We dropped 9 points against Celtic and 11 points against Rangers. We were knocked out of the League Cup by Celtic and the Scottish Cup by Rangers. Our head to head record is vitally important to our success over a season. They're at a completely different level. If we spend £1-2m on Simms it would groundbreaking for us as a club. Rangers and Celtic regularly spend double or treble that on players.  As mentioned we need impeccable recruitment and an excellent batch of academy players to have a 'Leicester' season.

The Black Prince
11 hours ago, Rick Sanchez said:

Football Manager type wishlist that would guarantee third.

Cedric Kipre

Dylan Levitt or Connor Ronan

Marco Tilio

Ellis Simms

Lawrence Skankland

Splash the cash.

Has there really been speculation or news about Tilio or is that just a wish list?

Really exciting young attacking player who (like Rowles) recently made his senior NT debut. Fast, skilful, intelligent, scores goals - can play wide or centrally. He's part of the CFG though (at Melbourne City) and their business model is all about development for profit. You might get him on loan to develop his career but for outright purchase... they'd probably want more than Hearts would pay for someone unknown outside Europe (is my guess). Seriously good player though.

1 hour ago, Mr Elwood P said:

We dropped 9 points against Celtic and 11 points against Rangers. We were knocked out of the League Cup by Celtic and the Scottish Cup by Rangers. Our head to head record is vitally important to our success over a season. They're at a completely different level. If we spend £1-2m on Simms it would groundbreaking for us as a club. Rangers and Celtic regularly spend double or treble that on players.  As mentioned we need impeccable recruitment and an excellent batch of academy players to have a 'Leicester' season.

Sorry to be repetitive but to challenge r and c we need other clubs taking points off them as well.  My worry is that won't happen enough.  It rarely does.

Finlay James
1 hour ago, Kiwidoug said:

Jude Bellingham is available for £103,000,000.  19 years old.

If we register an interest and unsettle him, he’ll hand in a transfer request and demand a move to the famous.  Straight swap for Mceneff should cover the fee.

i wish jj was my dad
7 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

Smith and Sibbick do seem like the immediate answer at right back, with Neilson in the mix too.

All a downgrade from Souttar obviously…

It would take a stroke of genius to upgrade on Soapy with our budget tbh but I think we have plenty of decent cover at the back now so we might not actually be any weaker given his injuries.  

Transfers alone will not allow us to win the league. 

Using Leicester as an example is a false equivalence. 

The EPL is less rigged in favour of a preferred outcome than our league. 

The Tv money, prize money, gate money, split and 4 game format are all barriers. Some to most of them would need to go. 

The first three are finance related. Leicester wildly outperformed their budget due to brilliant scouting and maximising the value of their squad with good tactical decisions. 

The Last two issues were one Leicester did not have to face. They won the league playing most games as a counter attack team. They were hard to beat at home and invited the opponents in to them then broke when away from home. They managed to win the league behaving like a cup side.

As mentioned, the traditionally strong teams were in rebuilding phases - despite this, I don’t see Leicester winning if they have to play the top six another two times each. 

Look at 2005 for us. We were doing a Leicester. But we had to play Celtic four times. And eventually the confirmation bias from the ref tipped a tight game their way and we lost our momentum. 

Leicester did not have that challenge. 

We need great scouting and some rule changes. 

Edited by CMc

6 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

As of 30th June 2020 we were due her £2.1m of which none was due to be repaid in the following 12 months 

1 hour ago, CMc said:

The Tv money, prize money, gate money, split and 4 game format are all barriers. Some to most of them would need to go. 

The first three are finance related. Leicester wildly outperformed their budget due to brilliant scouting and maximising the value of their squad with good tactical decisions. 

The Last two issues were one Leicester did not have to face. They won the league playing most games as a counter attack team. They were hard to beat at home and invited the opponents in to them then broke when away from home. They managed to win the league behaving like a cup side.

As mentioned, the traditionally strong teams were in rebuilding phases - despite this, I don’t see Leicester winning if they have to play the top six another two times each. 

Look at 2005 for us. We were doing a Leicester. But we had to play Celtic four times. And eventually the confirmation bias from the ref tipped a tight game their way and we lost our momentum. 

This is the reality 

Shanghai Hearts
1 hour ago, CMc said:

On 13/03/2022 at 09:07, Thomaso said:

Thought Halliday did well last night. Got stuck in and as usual gave 100% for the team.

He was also the victim of a shocking tackle in the second half that Madden missed.

Yep the 4 games a season make it nigh on impossible and will remain this way unfortunately. However, I can hope of the stars aligning once in my lifetime and we are heading in the right direction.

Great points👍

Nookie Bear
6 hours ago, number-16 said:

Leicester won the Premier League with a wage bill one third of the highest wage bill in the league (£80m compared to Manchester United's £241m), which is much closer than the gulf between us and the Firm.

If we can keep a consistent squad and get into Europe consistently, then sponsorship, prize money, inflated player sales, etc could maybe get us into that long-shot range.

Even then, you'd just about need signings like Beni to become the norm, with a few more established signings added on top of that. (Which is probably what some of us are expecting from Savage given his track record so far)

They were also able to turn down Arsenal’s bid for Vardy and offer him an improved contract to stay whereas we lost our prized asset for nothing to rangers. 

It would take a massive change for us to get that close to the OF. An outrageously fortunate summer of recruitment coupled with ban equally poor one from either OF. 

7 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

We owe her / Bidco £3m, there's an agreement in place to commence monthly instalments no later than 1/11/22 and repay over no more than 24 months.

The Wrinkly Ninja
9 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

Boyle would be a no brainer but never happening

Thankfully we have our quota of 3 Australian players already 😬

Bazzas right boot
21 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

They were also able to turn down Arsenal’s bid for Vardy and offer him an improved contract to stay whereas we lost our prized asset for nothing to rangers. 

It would take a massive change for us to get that close to the OF. An outrageously fortunate summer of recruitment coupled with ban equally poor one from either OF. 

This is the hard part. 

We'd need to be able to keep our best players. 

For another team to win the league it would mean that both OF teams have failed massively at the same time. 

The Black Prince
31 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Didn't that happen after they won the league?

I seem to remember that being a perfect storm of the usual top teams constantly drawing with each other or dropping points to teams in the bottom handful, while Leicester just kept marching on.

Could be wrong but I also seem to remember Arsenal doing the double over Leicester that year, but finishing second.

I was absolutely overjoyed for all the die hards who got odds of 5000 - 1 at the start of the season. Would have been some life changing wins.

We have zero chance of ever winning the league when we have to play OF 4x each. Anyway, thought this was a transfers thread. 🤨

Edited by Gorgieshed

Nookie Bear
21 minutes ago, The Black Prince said:

Didn't that happen after they won the league?

I seem to remember that being a perfect storm of the usual top teams constantly drawing with each other or dropping points to teams in the bottom handful, while Leicester just kept marching on.

Could be wrong but I also seem to remember Arsenal doing the double over Leicester that year, but finishing second.

I was absolutely overjoyed for all the die hards who got odds of 5000 - 1 at the start of the season. Would have been some life changing wins.

You could be right, and they also managed to keep Mahrez for another couple of years so they could build on the league win with some Champions League money. 

And yes, 5000-1. 

What odds are we this season?

RustyRightPeg
3 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

You could be right, and they also managed to keep Mahrez for another couple of years so they could build on the league win with some Champions League money. 

And yes, 5000-1. 

God knows but bookies shat themselves after this and started offering maximum odds for that type of bet 

Leicester was a one off unbelievable achievement but I think Atletico Madrid is a more reasonable comparison for us. Defeating 2 giants on a smaller budget. 

Obviously easier said that done. I think we're miles off it just now and I'd be happy with 3rd place for the next 3/4 seasons then it'd be time to try kick on if possible. 

JamboAndrew
9 minutes ago, Ari Gold said:

Leicester was a one off unbelievable achievement but I think Atletico Madrid is a more reasonable comparison for us. Defeating 2 giants on a smaller budget. 

Obviously easier said that done. I think we're miles off it just now and I'd be happy with 3rd place for the next 3/4 seasons then it'd be time to try kick on if possible. 

Totally agree. A run of 3rd place finishes and a few cups over the next 5 years would be both realistic, and a great achievement. If we can do that, then we need one year where we get lucky with the old firm having a bad year at the same time, and us having an exceptional one.

Jambo in Bathgate
9 hours ago, andrew said:

The problem is that we require other teams to beat those two regularly as well. Playing in a 12 team league with 4 fixtures each season against them isn’t helpful either. 

Edited by Jambo in Bathgate
Word addition

RustyRightPeg
14 minutes ago, Ari Gold said:

Athletico signed a 19 year old 2 years ago for €120M 😂 they also have a brand new 65,000 seater stadium we’re nothing like them in any sense. If anything we’re like Stuttgart winning the Bundesliga 15 odd year ago

kingantti1874
14 minutes ago, Ari Gold said:

Athletico who spent £100million on felix? Sighed Suarez.  

proportionally, their wage bill is far closer to Madrid and Barca than ours is to the old firm 

I do agree though, we have to be brave and get much closer. 

23 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

And yes, 5000-1. 

We’re 80-1 with betfair. 

I always find it amusing when those that are saying we should be challenging the Old Firm use the Leicester example. 

Something widely regarded as one of the greatest sporting achievements in history - and yet it was still more likely than Hearts doing the same in the current climate.  As has been pointed out, Leicester's budget was around a third the size of the biggest teams.  The gap between us and the OF is at least double, possibly triple that.

Italian Lambretta
4 minutes ago, Waterboy said:

I always find it amusing when those that are saying we should be challenging the Old Firm use the Leicester example. 

Something widely regarded as one of the greatest sporting achievements in history - and yet it was still more likely than Hearts doing the same in the current climate.  As has been pointed out, Leicester's budget was around a third the size of the biggest teams.  The gap between us and the OF is at least double, possibly triple that.

We will never win the league because the weegie mafia won't allow it. End off.

Now could we get back to the transfer discussion. More attacking players please.

I reckon the "replace Souttar is essential" rhetoric is a bit OTT.

Yes, he was a very good player but even at Hearts last season if was Halkett's return from injuries that saw our form improve when Souttar was still out. ...

I would say though he defended like a ******* in the cup final and put in a great performance but I still think the "need to replace Souttar" mantra is not only unnecessary but as many people have said unrealstic.

The best we can do in this respect IMO is bring in somebody who will develop within the next year or so to be "the next Souttar". We may already have that defender in Rowles or Neilson.

I have only seen two other players in the mould of Souttar in my lifetime of supporting Hearts - Levein and Weir. So these players are the exception rather than the rule in general.

God knows what the chat will be when Gordon retires as we will never be able to afford to "replace Gordon"...

Edited by Jammy T

kingantti1874
5 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

Yes, he was a very good player but even at Hearts last season if was Halkett's return from injuries that saw our form improve when Souttar was still out. ...

I would say though he defended like a ******* in the cup final and put in a great performance but I still think the "need to replace Souttar" mantra is not only unnecessary but as many people have said unrealstic.

The best we can do in this respect IMO is bring in somebody who will develop within the next year or so to be "the next Souttar". We may already have that defender in Rowles or Neilson.

I have only seen two other players in the mould of Souttar in my lifetime of supporting Hearts - Levein and Weir. So these players are the exception rather than the rule in general.

God knows what the chat will be when Gordon retires as we will never be able to afford to "replace Gordon"...

employ the guys and gals who cloned the sheep

2 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

You're totally right.  We need an RCB.  We also already have Sibbick and Smith and now Neilson.  Are any of them man for man better than Souttar right at this moment?  No (or yes while Souttar is injured is a valid point).

But what we need to do is replace Souttar in a much wider sense, not like for like.  We've brought in Rowles who looks very good.  If we go back 4, him and Halks in the middle, we have a righty and a lefty, which is always good.  We needed to play Cochrane a bit at LCB last season - he did fine but we won't need to do that again.  It also means, we have an extra option at LB/LWB as Kingsley more freed to be our first choice there.  Less Halliday, which improves us imo.

We need to look at the squad, not just great guy left, replace with great guy.

Souttar was/is a very very good player.  I'm a big fan of him as a player (tho as a hun I now wish him all the misery in the world).  They don't grow on trees.

Do we have another RCB at the club we trust to be our number 1 starter??  Not sure.  I have faith Sibbick will grow in to it, but do we trust him right now?  I think that's part of the issue.  Also with Halks and Rowles both being big proper and pretty athletic defenders, Smith at RCB works for me if he stays fit.  He's great there and would link well with Natty at RWB.  ALSOOOOO perhaps we play 3 at back much less this season.  I think with the players we're signing, it's looking more 4231 - we're talking a lot about number 10s which is less of a thing in the 343 shape.

lost in space
1 hour ago, RobNox said:

We owe her / Bidco £3m, there's an agreement in place to commence monthly instalments no later than 1/11/22 and repay over no more than 24 months.

I didnt know that.  At £125K each month, for 24 months - FoH instalments will cover it.  After that we can pay 1 player £30k a week.  JKB should have a poll and decide who we are going to sign.

What could possibly go wrong??

mickycameron98
20 hours ago, RustyRightPeg said:

A mate of mine who is usually quite reliable has text me saying 

ES  

make of that what you will. 

He was also on the home kit release prior to it happening, feel free to go back and check but I posted first that it would be 2pm that day.

Don’t shoot messenger. 

I see Aberdeens new striker has come out and said he wants to be the number 1 striker in Scotland.

Hope our new striker has the same ambitions 

Unknown user

IIRC we'd agreed terms with that Joe Wright from Doncaster last year but he got injured at the end of the season.

Surely we'll be signing him if he's fit enough now too, I have in mind he was training with us.

1 hour ago, Bazzas right boot said:

This is the hard part. 

We'd need to be able to keep our best players. 

For another team to win the league it would mean that both OF teams have failed massively at the same time. 

Yep very difficult. In terms of keeping our best players, I think we have done very well to retain the squad for next season. I think losing Souttar on a free was a bit of an anomaly due to injuries etc. 

10 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

That's an absolute shocker of a price.

In what way? Think it should be longer than 80-1

56 minutes ago, Ari Gold said:

Ron?

37 minutes ago, naeclue said:

We’re 80-1 with betfair. 

bookies stealing from punters even offering odds for any team outside the old firm is offensive. its been rigged by them since murray took over rangers and fixed the voting system, shouldn't be allowed to offer up any odds in fixed fight period

57 minutes ago, Ari Gold said:

Hearts fans would still moan about Simeones style..

• davemclaren changed the title to *** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***