• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RustyRightPeg

• Sooks

• Bazzas right boot

• BackOfTheNet

35 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Those rants about not signing quickly enough remind of the thread last season after the Inverness League cup game calling Joe Savage an idiot, saying we have not signed enough players and that meant we hadn't scored enough against Inverness to be seeded for the League cup last 16. We then sign 1 player and beat Celtic a week later, and sign 4 more players in a month, go on to finish 3rd, get to the final of the Scottish cup and have a great season.

Just because you are quick signing players doesn't mean they are the best players you can get. Look at Hibs who have signed almost 10 players and I dont think there is any I am jealous of them signing.

:spoton:

H1b5 have signed a cluster of sh1te, I'm more than happy for us to wait until the last day of the window if it means we will bring in quality over quantity.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
52 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

I don't think Halkett played RCB even once last season and he's never looked as comfortable when dragged wide. He's already in a role perfectly suited to his abilities and he was one of our best players last season. There's not a chance we're moving him to accommodate Rowles.

Thankfully it's already been confirmed we want an RCB.

When Souttar brought the ball out of defence surely Halkett moved to RCB to cover him?

Also when Halkett came back from injury we played 4-2-3-1 his first few games back where he played on the right.

1 hour ago, soonbe110 said:

Halkett could easily play RCB 

Maybe now I suppose. He’s much improved as a defender

2 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

I think its clear that we have completed phase 1 of our recruitment (think someone said this earlier.) We move onto phase 2 which I reckon will be the exciting one but will take time. I dont think we will announce any first team signings for 2 or 3 weeks at least. Then it will pick up. So now is the time to relax in regards to tracking transfer news.

I can see a few signings for the B and U18s over the next few weeks though.

But at least we are going to have quite a few matches in the meantime so should break things up.

Shankland will sign in this phase 

1 hour ago, soonbe110 said:

Halkett could easily play RCB 

I've thought Halks has turned into a bit of a colossus as middle of a back 3, but better than that, he's looking solid in a back 4 too. So no doubt he could! Especially if Kingsley and Rowles are both deserving of a starting place (in a back 3)

RustyRightPeg
1 hour ago, Ari Gold said:

Halkett should not be moved from the centre of a back 3

Agreed.

File this in the same category as Kingsley. Why would we move players out of a position they thrive in. 

davemclaren
57 minutes ago, flecktimus said:

I am very well thanks Iain. By the way i sold the Glenbank in May, but it played its part. We need to have a pint before a game this season.

I remember my visit to the Glenbank in support of the club during those difficult times. 😄 We had a great wee break in Jedburgh. I assume that’s you retired now. Hope you are well. 

10 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

When Souttar brought the ball out of defence surely Halkett moved to RCB to cover him?

Also when Halkett came back from injury we played 4-2-3-1 his first few games back where he played on the right.

Not the same thing really. When a full-back makes an overlapping run, do they become a winger? If a midfielder runs beyond the striker, does that mean they've played up front?

I was responding to posts talking about moving him to RCB in a 3 rather than a 4.

CloustonHMFC
3 hours ago, innerjambo said:

Tell me in detail why that's an upgrade on the standard of player we currently have?

It’s not about massive upgrades in one go, that just isn’t feasible or justifiable. It’s about incremental upgrades and building our club and squad up. That’s exactly what we’re doing. No need to squander a load of cash and then potentially be stuck with a bunch of high earners and not the same income coming in. 

1 hour ago, flecktimus said:

I am very well thanks Iain. By the way i sold the Glenbank in May, but it played its part. We need to have a pint before a game this season.

Look forward to that. The Glenbank started the FoH Roadshow juggernaut so will always be fondly remembered.

davemclaren
4 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

You get what you pay for tbf.

Usually, but everyone needs to cut their cloth accordingly. 

kingantti1874
5 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Usually, but everyone needs to cut their cloth accordingly. 

between the prize money, ST money. European money and the jockey money we will probably earn not a kick in the arse of £8million more than last season. 

strike while the iron is hot. Buy the best we can and secure that income again

time to speculate 

1 hour ago, CloustonHMFC said:

It’s not about massive upgrades in one go, that just isn’t feasible or justifiable. It’s about incremental upgrades and building our club and squad up. That’s exactly what we’re doing. No need to squander a load of cash and then potentially be stuck with a bunch of high earners and not the same income coming in. 

Incremental upgrades is the most sustainable way to success, just look at sky cycling as an example, they didn’t have one big idea that reduced the weight of their bike by half a kilo, instead they had multiple ideas that shaved a few grams here and there  

davemclaren
2 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

between the prize money, ST money. European money and the jockey money we will probably earn not a kick in the arse of £8million more than last season. 

strike while the iron is hot. Buy the best we can and secure that income again

time to speculate 

A balanced approach to risk is my personal preference. 😎

kingantti1874
8 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

A balanced approach to risk is my personal preference. 😎

spending £1m on a top asset from an £8m net increase in income is pretty balanced.  In fact - I’d say it’s bloody conservative

Jambo 4 Ever
1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

Hope we are in for Paddy Lane, cracking player. 

Any better than what we have already?

Sub4TiddlerMurray

11 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Incremental upgrades is the most sustainable way to success, just look at sky cycling as an example, they didn’t have one big idea that reduced the weight of their bike by half a kilo, instead they had multiple ideas that shaved a few grams here and there  

The British Olympic Cycling Team was the first to use the "aggregate of marginal gains" approach. But your point is well made. In some ways, we have already benefitted from incremental upgrades in each area of the team: that's what got us an easy 3rd place finish and another cup final. Signs are really good that we are continuing with that strategy.

6 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

Opinion 

So if we are serious about him it's possible (especially if Hickey is transferred).

I thought maybe you were itk.

PS - £1m is what his club are reported to want.  The reality may be a bit short of that.

Edited by JamboAl

jamboinglasgow
5 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

So if we are serious about him it's possible (especially if Hickey is transferred).

I thought maybe you were itk.

PS - £1m is what his club are reported to want.  The reality may be a bit short of that.

Thats sometimes what is often missed, just because its reported as £1m doesn't mean that is what is paid. Its like when a manager says a huge figure for their player (say the manager says their player is a £20m player.) The manager is saying a figure they think is over the top to mean they wont sell, not what they expect they will get. We might be able to get a price that is down from that, and is weighted with add-ons and a sell on fee. We could even discuss throwing a player in the deal.

I dont think we will get Lane, but who knows what price Fleetwood would actually accept.

davemclaren
48 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

spending £1m on a top asset from an £8m net increase in income is pretty balanced.  In fact - I’d say it’s bloody conservative

I believe you would. 😄

PhoenixHearts

Maybe nothing in it but just had a look at squad numbers on Wikipedia and it has Kye Rowles with the #4. 

Does that point to his standing in the squad?

It also has Cochrane 19, Forrest with 17, Grant 25, Neilson 20. Halkett back to 26.

7 and 9 still unassigned.

7 would have been a good number for both Forrest or Grant... perhaps we have someone else in mind?

29 minutes ago, PhoenixHearts said:

Maybe nothing in it but just had a look at squad numbers on Wikipedia and it has Kye Rowles with the #4. 

Does that point to his standing in the squad?

It also has Cochrane 19, Forrest with 17, Grant 25, Neilson 20. Halkett back to 26.

7 and 9 still unassigned.

7 would have been a good number for both Forrest or Grant... perhaps we have someone else in mind?

Just a stab in the dark but I assume Rowles has got #4 handed down to him from Souttar leaving and that's all there is to it.

Other players in the high numbers might have chosen that number for a reason.

Like when Rudi chose 51 at Dundee United :rofl:

Does anyone know what articles Savage stated we wanted players with European experience? must have missed that.

8 hours ago, SUTOL said:

Cochrane is an upgrade on nobody. 

Alex Cochrane signed in summer 2022 is a significant upgrade on Alex Cochrane in summer 2021. He is now a player with a lot more experience, not just a guy with a handful of senior games. We know he can compete physically in the Scottish league and we know he will integrate well with the squad. He will also have learned loads last season  which can be applied this year.

14 minutes ago, cosanostra said:

Seems to have gone quiet with Hickey. Would love to see him get a move to Arsenal.

Gone quiet since Steve Clarke hung the laddie out to dry against Ukraine to be frank

8 hours ago, Agentjambo said:

Not at £1m we’re not.

Papers just quote a number.Im not saying it will be that but they had us for weeks buying Grant for £750k and Cochrane for such and such but in truth it was a fraction of that.Again though it's paper talk just now so we might not even be in for him at all.

4 hours ago, Agentjambo said:

Does anyone know what articles Savage stated we wanted players with European experience? must have missed that.

Robbie mentioned it but it was just another passing remark to a journalist imo.He said he wanted all English speaking defenders but in the forward areas you can maybe bring in players from Europe.

KyleLafferty
4 hours ago, Agentjambo said:

It was Robbie on scarves around the funnel podcast.

No longer active
4 hours ago, HoGwash said:

Alex Cochrane signed in summer 2022 is a significant upgrade on Alex Cochrane in summer 2021. He is now a player with a lot more experience, not just a guy with a handful of senior games. We know he can compete physically in the Scottish league and we know he will integrate well with the squad. He will also have learned loads last season  which can be applied this year.

This! Cochrane has tonnes of potential and a 3 year deal will pay dividends. I reckon we will see a great return from this lad. His ball control is first rate and he can read the game well. I thought he played better with McKay in front of him rather than GMS so his development this season will be very interesting to watch!

That wee prick Kenny Miller wanting Rangers to stop Hearts signing Simms. Feck off Miller, ya wee dick.

Season is 4 weeks away...yet we have done fantastic so far in improving and growing the squad...definitely many more tom come.

4 hours ago, cosanostra said:

Seems to have gone quiet with Hickey. Would love to see him get a move to Arsenal.

most of what we hear is hearsay....I'm sure he will get a move at some point...He is being heavily scouted.

4 minutes ago, chrisyboy7 said:

most of what we hear is hearsay....I'm sure he will get a move at some point...He is being heavily scouted.

He’s going to Brentford. Strange choice imo. 

August Landmesser
Just now, Dazo said:

Probably more chance of first team games there, and a decent coaching set-up by all accounts 

5 minutes ago, Dazo said:

really.....are you an agent.....Thats a crap move

Horatio Caine
5 hours ago, Bauld said:

Just a stab in the dark but I assume Rowles has got #4 handed down to him from Souttar leaving and that's all there is to it.

Other players in the high numbers might have chosen that number for a reason.

Like when Rudi chose 51 at Dundee United :rofl:

Forrest was #17 at Livi.

Sub4TiddlerMurray
5 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

Gone quiet since Steve Clarke hung the laddie out to dry against Ukraine to be frank

Frank Kickey now is it? No wonder it’s all gone quiet 🤫 

Brick Tamland
5 hours ago, HoGwash said:

Very much this

The Black Prince
18 hours ago, GavK1012 said:

What a very immature and bizarre mindset...Hibs this, Hibs that...its truly playground mentality...but he played for Hibs 😮

Every single football fan will back a player who plays for their club and does well...nobody, unless a school child and/or adult with a lack of life experience or wherewithal, would come out and say " Hibs player though ..." 

Says more about the individual than anything else, posts like yourself...

He became a top performer for Hibs, and hurt us more than once...his antics are very unpalatable granted, however worse things in life...

Hibs this, Hibs that ... 😂🤣😅

Fair enough, but I think it would take some bravery for him to come to Hearts....

In any case, my main point was that he went to Saudi to make a fortune and I doubt any club in Scotland could match his petrodollar wages.

• davemclaren changed the title to *** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***