*** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***

dazajmbo

8 hours ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

The British Olympic Cycling Team was the first to use the "aggregate of marginal gains" approach. But your point is well made. In some ways, we have already benefitted from incremental upgrades in each area of the team: that's what got us an easy 3rd place finish and another cup final. Signs are really good that we are continuing with that strategy.

Bite size chunks to nibble away at the ugly sisters. Closing the gap marginally every year. If we could improve on 4-5 points per season then there’s no reason to not be able to split them in 5 years time. Small gains every year and then look back in 5 years time. To try and do it in one season will only set us back further and would be far too expensive. I’m happy that Joe and Robbie along with the backroom team, are more pragmatic in their approach than our Fanbase 

• Replies 39.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RustyRightPeg

• Sooks

• Bazzas right boot

• BackOfTheNet

Sub4TiddlerMurray
1 hour ago, vegas-voss said:

Papers just quote a number.Im not saying it will be that but they had us for weeks buying Grant for £750k and Cochrane for such and such but in truth it was a fraction of that.Again though it's paper talk just now so we might not even be in for him at all.

Grant was reported as having a £750k release clause in his contract, which was a bit more specific than a journo simply making up a number.

I do like that we appear to be playing hardball on deals and still getting our man rather than coughing up the asking price. Better value = more deals can be done. 

Sub4TiddlerMurray
4 minutes ago, SMJ_1874 said:

Bite size chunks to nibble away at the ugly sisters. Closing the gap marginally every year. If we could improve on 4-5 points per season then there’s no reason to not be able to split them in 5 years time. Small gains every year and then look back in 5 years time. To try and do it in one season will only set us back further and would be far too expensive. I’m happy that Joe and Robbie along with the backroom team, are more pragmatic in their approach than our Fanbase 

100% agree. Sustainable increments means long-term growth rather than high stakes boom ‘n’ bust.

Jamboscanbevicius

I wonder what our plan b is for strikers 🤷🏻‍♂️ Simms and Shankland deals both look tricky and could gal through.

Obviously we are much weaker atm and need to bring in at least 1 up top before the season starts or we could really stutter! 

Hopefully we can get those deals done but it’ll be interesting to see who else might be in the frame if not…

Sub4TiddlerMurray
1 minute ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

100% agree. Sustainable increments means long-term growth rather than high stakes boom ‘n’ bust.

….that said, we still seem to have taken a big leap forward since we were forced into relegation 

Dick Dastardly

I've seen 3 adverts for the Sims 4 today already. I'm taking this as a sign. The big man will be announced today.... 🤞🤞🏻🤞🏼🤞🏽🤞🏾🤞🏿🤞🏾🤞🏽🤞🏼🤞🏻🤞

11 hours ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Agreed.

File this in the same category as Kingsley. Why would we move players out of a position they thrive in. 

Kingsley thrives equally well as a left wing back or LCB. So it isn’t in the same Category at all. It’ll all be about squad rotation and general tactics for each game where these guys play. 

Mr Elwood P
5 hours ago, HoGwash said:

Alex Cochrane signed in summer 2022 is a significant upgrade on Alex Cochrane in summer 2021. He is now a player with a lot more experience, not just a guy with a handful of senior games. We know he can compete physically in the Scottish league and we know he will integrate well with the squad. He will also have learned loads last season  which can be applied this year.

This is a very good post. The hysterical posters on here have no appreciation of talent and potential as being transient. When Souttar arrived at Hearts he had potential. When he left Hearts he was one of the best centre backs in Scotland. Perhaps even the best. Players like Cochrane, Atkinson, Sibbick, Devlin etc have huge growth potential. They are all improving and developing and we will be stronger as they progress. 

RustyRightPeg
2 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Kingsley thrives equally well as a left wing back or LCB. So it isn’t in the same Category at all. It’ll all be about squad rotation and general tactics for each game where these guys play. 

I know he does. 

It’s just been a fascination for some in the early part of this summer to move Kingsley out of centre half back to left back. Granted this was mostly pre Cochrane returning but I personally don’t see the need to. He got in the team of the year at centre half and rather than make him a good player at both positions why don’t we give him the chance to become great in one. 

Just my personal stance on it. 

19 minutes ago, Jamboscanbevicius said:

I wonder what our plan b is for strikers 🤷🏻‍♂️ Simms and Shankland deals both look tricky and could gal through.

Obviously we are much weaker atm and need to bring in at least 1 up top before the season starts or we could really stutter! 

Hopefully we can get those deals done but it’ll be interesting to see who else might be in the frame if not…

Yeah we have to trust the process on this.  There will be other loan options out there should all else fail but finding another Simms would be hard.

hmfc_liam06

We definitely need a starting quality RCB. That will give us a perfect balance across the back 3 with 2 at every position.

LCB

Kingsley

Rowles

CB
Halkett

Neilson

RCB

New signing

Sibbick

With Sibbick & Kingsley able to play in different positions as well if need be.

The Black Prince
14 hours ago, GinRummy said:

I just hope folk give him a chance to settle. He’ll not get away with as much as he did back in Australia. Edit. By ‘get away’ I mean taking the ball up the park and getting caught out. 

Yep, as I've said earlier he's a huge talent but is likely to take a little while to settle. The A League is played in summer so is necessarily played at a slower pace. That's the challenge for Aussies moving to Europe - the cold, the pace and (depending on the league) the technicality. Takes a while to get used to it.

That said, Rowles is special. He'll be on top of the world after a career defining performance against Peru in a WC sudden death play-off, so his confidence will be high, and he'll grow another leg to be on the plane to Qatar.

Still might be a few setbacks at the start but you really have signed a cracker. This is a huge call but I'd call him a Rogic-level player (for a CB) who also went to Scotland from the Mariners. Time will tell.

hmfc_liam06
9 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

between the prize money, ST money. European money and the jockey money we will probably earn not a kick in the arse of £8million more than last season. 

strike while the iron is hot. Buy the best we can and secure that income again

time to speculate 

If we were to sign the guys we're linked with then we're looking at over £3m outlay on transfers. I really can't see it.

Grant - £250k or thereabouts

Cochrane - £400k or thereabouts

Shankland - £400k or thereabouts

Lane - £1m

Simms - £1m+

Ronan - £500k

Make it happen though Hearts :lol:

RustyRightPeg
6 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

If we were to sign the guys we're linked with then we're looking at over £3m outlay on transfers. I really can't see it.

Lane - £1m

Simms - £1m+

Ronan - £500k

Do you think/know Cochrane was as expensive as that?

Surprising if it’s that much. I thought we’d have paid just enough to cover his wages for the years extension and Brighton were just securing an add on for future transfer.

Edited by RustyRightPeg

hmfc_liam06
3 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Do you think/know Cochrane was as expensive as that?

Surprising if it’s that much. I thought we’d have paid just enough to cover his wages for the years extension and Brighton were just securing an add on for future transfer.

Just a total guess based on the reported "moderate six-figure fee". Moderate would indicate, to me anyway, around half a million.

I don't think we'd have just covered his wages for the season, there'll be a bit more on top of that.

At the time when it was reported we were close on Shankland, I reckoned we'd be looking at around £1m for Grant, Cochrane & Shankland.

Edited by hmfc_liam06

Absolute Scenes
7 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Lane - £1m

Simms - £1m+

Ronan - £500k

I can’t imagine us having paid 400k for  Cochrane. Think he would’ve been in the 209k category. However the rest of them I would say are correct. 300k upfront for Shankland, 200k extra in instalments. Simms I reckon 750k coild

do it

kingantti1874
8 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Lane - £1m

Simms - £1m+

Ronan - £500k

never suggested we sign all of them mate but we absolutely need to push on imo.  As long as money is being spent on young players who should ultimately return what we have invested and some.  

Beerschot signed another striker yesterday.   They had four attacking players, lost three attackers, left with Shankland until they recruited.  Now they have three including Shankland.

Might be closer to them letting him leave.    They'll most likely want another couple forwards first.   They're recruiting Belgian youth. 

Doubtful any signing this week though.    Getting closer at least. 

Thought Police

Our issue is that we have struggled for years to get decent fees for outgoing players. If you were confident that investing £1.5 million in Simms would get you a £6/7m return down the line then it's a no brainer. Unfortunately, we just can't take that risk. Look at Celtic with Juranovic, his value has already increased multiple times over. 

19 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

We definitely need a starting quality RCB. That will give us a perfect balance across the back 3 with 2 at every position.

LCB

Kingsley

Rowles

CB
Halkett

Neilson

RCB

New signing

Sibbick

Neilson covers RB, RCB, CB and midfield.   Great cover. 

Was reading about Lane, he could cover both wings, CM, AM, and left back 😁 maybe right back 🤔 

RustyRightPeg
10 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Just a total guess based on the reported "moderate six-figure fee". Moderate would indicate, to me anyway, around half a million.

I don't think we'd have just covered his wages for the season, there'll be a bit more on top of that.

At the time when it was reported we were close on Shankland, I reckoned we'd be looking at around £1m for Grant, Cochrane & Shankland.

I don’t doubt that mate, we’d have pulled off a heist if it was anything less than that. 

hmfc_liam06
8 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

I can’t imagine us having paid 400k for  Cochrane. Think he would’ve been in the 209k category. However the rest of them I would say are correct. 300k upfront for Shankland, 200k extra in instalments. Simms I reckon 750k coild

do it

You're probably but right but however it's broken down it's round about a £1m outlay for Grant, Cochrane and Shankland (assuming we do sign him).

If we land Ronan there's potentially close to another half million.

14 hours ago, Ruuuudy said:

forrest better than gms

neilson better than moore

grant creative - currently missing

any no. 9  better than none

do you mean last season we didn't have a creative player?

you can't have seen much of Barrie McKay then - at times he was sublime.....superb through balls or incredible body movement to ghost past players...

11 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

do it

awfy precise that......I'd say he's more in the £208k category :)

hmfc_liam06
1 minute ago, HMFC01 said:

Neilson covers RB, RCB, CB and midfield.   Great cover. 

Was reading about Lane, he could cover both wings, CM, AM, and left back 😁 maybe right back 🤔 

Nice one, I don't know a great deal about the young lad.

I figured he would cover Halkett due to his size, already looks a unit.

Just now, hmfc_liam06 said:

You're probably but right but however it's broken down it's round about a £1m outlay for Grant, Cochrane and Shankland (assuming we do sign him).

£750k for Simms ? Seems a bit on the low side to me. If we do spend that kind of money I reckon that’ll be the last signing with a fee involved.

kingantti1874
8 minutes ago, Thought Police said:

Our issue is that we have struggled for years to get decent fees for outgoing players. If you were confident that investing £1.5 million in Simms would get you a £6/7m return down the line then it's a no brainer. Unfortunately, we just can't take that risk. Look at Celtic with Juranovic, his value has already increased multiple times over. 

we haven’t been great at getting the best players on decent money and decent length contracts.

we’ve been burned by players like Damour and Martin and been hesitant on real talents and missed out as a result 

58 minutes ago, SMJ_1874 said:

Can you show me the post, or posts on here where anyone, and I mean anyone, on any thread, said we could close the gap on the arse cheeks in one season?

Absolute Scenes
5 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

awfy precise that......I'd say he's more in the £208k category :)

😂😂😂 bloody fingers 

200k lol

Lord Beni of Gorgie
24 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Lane - £1m

Simms - £1m+

Ronan - £500k

I'd have guessed 500k for Grant and Cochrane, another 200k for Rowles which has been paid out already. It would be Lane or Ronan, but not at those numbers for either and 300k for Shankland. Beerschot like Posh will have to take what they can get. Perhaps the RCB might cost too, be an interesting 2 months ahead, how that cash is spent, benefactors like to help too :)

A few people on here taking opinions they don't like, or don't agree with out of context, which doesn't help, but it seems to be standard practice. 

Take a comment or an opinion, exaggerate it massively, add your own spin on it.........and hey presto!!

OmiyaHearts

I reckon we've paid no more than 200k for any of the players.

There may be sell on fees and other repayments but I canny see us spending 400k on a player.

However, like the posts above, it's based on complete guesswork and probably totally inaccurate.

Absolute Scenes
12 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Yeah that makes sense. That’s some good investment though. I think we’ve done really well over the years to get guys on a free, especially McKay and Kingsley. But I think to progress we need to pay fees so it’s good to use the club investing in the team

11 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Nice one, I don't know a great deal about the young lad.

I figured he would cover Halkett due to his size, already looks a unit.

That's exactly my impression.   His physique looks suited to a CB(Halkett role) type.    Whatever he does, all the best to him.    I hope he destroys some Hibs players 😂 

Phil D. Corners
21 minutes ago, HMFC01 said:

Beerschot signed another striker yesterday.   They had four attacking players, lost three attackers, left with Shankland until they recruited.  Now they have three including Shankland.

Might be closer to them letting him leave.    They'll most likely want another couple forwards first.   They're recruiting Belgian youth. 

Doubtful any signing this week though.    Getting closer at least. 

:greatpost:

Good to info. Thanks. 

Would be great to get the deal done. 

Phil D. Corners
2 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

I reckon we've paid no more than 200k for any of the players.

There may be sell on fees and other repayments but I canny see us spending 400k on a player.

However, like the posts above, it's based on complete guesswork and probably totally inaccurate.

Reading the Cochrane article it sounds like we spent a substantial 6 figure fee. 

And Jorge was quoted to be 250k earlier. 

hmfc_liam06
8 minutes ago, Phil D. Corners said:

Reading the Cochrane article it sounds like we spent a substantial 6 figure fee. 

And Jorge was quoted to be 250k earlier. 

Going by the article we've certainly spent more on Cochrane than we have on Grant. The joys of the undisclosed fee :lol:

31 minutes ago, Thought Police said:

This is true but I put that down to two things

1 - the old firm paying higher wages so they are able to point to this when discussing transfer fees for out going players

2 - old firm players playing at a higher level in internationals and European competitions

There is only so much we can do about 1 but hope fullt Steve Clarke starts picking players like Kingsley and Halkett going forwards if they impress in Europe at Hearts

AlphonseCapone
1 hour ago, Daktari said:

Apologies if this has already been posted here or elsewhere, but an interesting article in Grant's own words on what brought him to Hearts and how he sees it going.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/jorge-grants-unknowing-hearts-scottish-27337679

Like the sound of the guy, confident in himself and sees this a good opportunity. Hopefully he delivers. 

Just now, AlphonseCapone said:

Like the sound of the guy, confident in himself and sees this a good opportunity. Hopefully he delivers. 

Me too that was what I thought when I watched his interview from Spain ....................... sadly how ever it is that sort of self backing that can lead to some fans being unfairly negative and critical if a player does not hit the ground at full on sprint as we have seen in the past

Bazzas right boot
58 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

LCB

Kingsley

Rowles

CB
Halkett

Neilson

RCB

New signing

Sibbick

Smith can be rcb as well, he's actually good there. 

hmfc_liam06
Just now, Bazzas right boot said:

Smith can be rcb as well, he's actually good there. 

Yeah we've options, but no one we can say really stands out at RCB.

Byyy The Light
1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

LCB

Kingsley

Rowles

CB
Halkett

Neilson

RCB

New signing

Sibbick

Think we might see Smith filling in at RCB too

Bazzas right boot
5 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Yeah we've options, but no one we can say really stands out at RCB.

Tbh, I think that will be his position for us. 

He'll end up more a CB than a rb. 

hmfc_liam06
2 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Tbh, I think that will be his position for us. 

He'll end up more a CB than a rb. 

You might be right. We've a lot of flexibility across the backline, with only really Halkett having 1 position. The rest can play CB, FB or CM.

6 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

Think we might see Smith filling in at RCB too

My thoughts exactly, he has always looked comfortable moving inside.

43 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

😂😂😂 bloody fingers 

200k lol

lol thought so.

for one second I thought you were really really ITK :)

Looking at Smith in training, he seems well up to speed along with the others. Hopefully he stays injury free for a while now.

hmfc_liam06
4 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

lol thought so.

for one second I thought you were really really ITK :)

I just thought he was really bad at maths and used a 1 year contract at £4k per week :lol:

• davemclaren changed the title to *** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***