*** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***

dazajmbo

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

He blows smoke up the presses arse a lot. Take everything with a pinch of salt. 

He’s a serial liar, we all know that.
He only wanted two strikers last season, I can’t see him trying to find games for three when he prefers to have 5-6-7 wingers/10s in the squad.

His two formations are 343-4231, neither have two strikers.  

• Replies 39.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RustyRightPeg

• Sooks

• Bazzas right boot

• BackOfTheNet

Mr Elwood P
1 hour ago, Back to 2005 said:

And he’s right unfortunately. The signings so far look no where near that calibre.

Based on what?

Absolute Scenes
33 minutes ago, iainmac said:

Joel Castro Perreira was at Man Utd!!!!!

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ I’d blocked him out

Pasquale for King
6 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

If we only get one striker, do you reckon that means Henderson will be in the squad. A new striker plus Boyce doesn’t seem enough to me. 

Probably, Gino can play up top and McKay did well as a fake 9 for the second half against St Johnstone at home. 
I just don’t see him having three strikers,who will expect to start, in the squad. 

Sub4TiddlerMurray
2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

He only wanted two strikers last season, I can’t see him trying to find games for three when he prefers to have 5-6-7 wingers/10s in the squad.

You've clearly forgotten the number of games we started with Boyce and Simms in both formations

14 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I think anyone expecting Simms AND Shankand is going to be disappointed, he’s stated a few times he’s only looking for one striker. 
Im sure we have someone else lined up if neither sign. 

I agree.  We're having to play our cards close to our chest but i'm not confident we'll get either.

16 minutes ago, CloustonHMFC said:

Last season I wouldn’t have said signing a couple of randoms from Everton U23’s and a player from Oz who no one had heard of would have been particularly exciting but we had everyone praising the recruitment for bringing them in because they turned out quality. It’s unfair on our recruitment for people not to trust them after last season. They’ve earned it after the shambles of the last few years. 

I'm maybe missing those posts. I didn't see the ones where people weren't trusting the recruitment team, just that on paper the level of signing is less exciting.

17 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

but the point is no one had any idea about the levels of simms or be i.  Rowles by all accounts s the club believe he is a real coup.

Nobody ever knows, people are just using an indicator of pedigree to linked their excitement too.

3 minutes ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

You've clearly forgotten the number of games we started with Boyce and Simms in both formations

But was Boyce deployed as a striker?

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

Yes and Boyce played deeper as a 10 and was quite frankly awful, and barely scored. Playing a striker elsewhere in a formation doesn’t mean we play with two strikers. 

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, chrystaf said:

I agree.  We're having to play our cards close to our chest but i'm not confident we'll get either.

We can but hope I suppose, Simms on loan might be the best option. 
Neilson does like bringing in a striker for the second half of the season to freshen things up though, Zeefuik/Dauda/Gnanduillet/Simms in his four seasons. 

Edited by Pasquale for King

Mr Elwood P
10 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

You'd have to be a bit simple to expect Neilson or Savage to fully reveal our transfer plans to the press ....

Lord Beni of Gorgie
12 minutes ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

Cochrane is a new signing...and an outstanding one at that. He will start most games.

Not sure he will to be honest, depends where we see Rowles, if he goes in at LCB, Kingsley will play LB, however if Rowles is going to play in the centre of the 3 or as a spare, then Cochrane will see plenty game time, for me Kingsley is the better player

7 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Boyce and Simms both started most games in the second half of last season. Yes, Boyce wasn't up front in most of those but even when we rested Simms at Motherwell we played Boyce in behind Ginnelly. I think he's seen as more of a 10 than a 9 these days.

With a bigger budget and a bigger squad, I'd put money on us signing two strikers, with Simms and Shankland being the primary targets. With two games a week, both would get plenty of game time IMO.

I know some are under whelmed at the players we have signed, however for me I'm excited to see them and I think they all make sense and have the potential to do very well. It's a good job the internet wasn't as prominent in the mid 90's when we were signing players from Raith, Falkirk and Dundee that would step up and give us one of the best Hearts sides in my lifetime. I can't see us plucking well known players up and paying huge fees and wages, the guys brought in like Grant and Forrest IMO will do very well. I also think Rowles looks a real asset and will do well and fit in nicely. Patience is the name of the game here, we are weeks out from the season starting and I'm sure there will be more to come. 

9 minutes ago, chrystaf said:

But was Boyce deployed as a striker?

Surely his point still stands though? If Boyce is to be used in a deeper role it basically leaves us with zero senior out and out strikers. I really think 2 strikers are needed to allow for rotation. Henderson won't cut it IMO.

Pasquale for King
31 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

You'd have to be a bit simple to expect Neilson or Savage to fully reveal our transfer plans to the press ....

He literally told the press what positions he was looking at and what numbers he wanted in the squad, that’s not revealing the actual plan of WHO we want to sign. 
Again though you are actually agreeing that he lied in that interview. 

23 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Yes and Boyce played deeper as a 10 and was quite frankly awful, and barely scored. Playing a striker elsewhere in a formation doesn’t mean we play with two strikers. 

As a counterpoint to this, I think Boyce is far more suited to playing as a second striker than he is on his own. He only scored 1 goal in open play while playing up on his own v Premiership opposition.

Open play goals last season:

v St Mirren (a, Aug) - up front with Gnanduillet.

v Ross County (a, Sep) - up front with Gnanduillet.

v Livi (a, Dec) - up front on his own.

v Celtic (h, Feb) - scored after Simms came on.

v Dundee United (a, Mar) - Simms was up front.

v Dundee United (a, Apr) - Ginnelly was up front.

All other goals were penalties or penalty rebounds.

When he's on his own he tends to get crowded out in the box. He needs a striker alongside him to create space for him to be potent. 

2 hours ago, Sooks said:

Love who ever did this to make it look like time travel ............. genius

1 hour ago, tian447 said:

Rather suspiciously, you seem to have replied to a comment before it was made. Are you sure you don't have a time machine? :lol:

Screenshot-20220628-150131-Chrome.jpg

Glad i was not the only one to notice ............ made me laugh so well played who ever did that 

Pasquale for King
28 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

Boyce and Simms both started most games in the second half of last season. Yes, Boyce wasn't up front in most of those but even when we rested Simms at Motherwell we played Boyce in behind Ginnelly. I think he's seen as more of a 10 than a 9 these days.

With a bigger budget and a bigger squad, I'd put money on us signing two strikers, with Simms and Shankland being the primary targets. With two games a week, both would get plenty of game time IMO.

You can say that about Boyce, he’s not as effective deeper imo. 
Im only going by what he says and does, which is one striker, and that Boyce to Aberdeen was laughable as he’s his only striker. 
We all know he’s economical with the truth with the press. 
With no LC games it’s only four more matches, but having fresh legs will obviously be important. 

Pasquale for King
13 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

As a counterpoint to this, I think Boyce is far more suited to playing as a second striker than he is on his own. He only scored 1 goal in open play while playing up on his own v Premiership opposition.

When he's on his own he tends to get crowded out in the box. He needs a striker alongside him to create space for him to be potent. 

Yes but he doesn’t play a second striker though, his best season was with RC when Alex Schalke was his partner. He seems to strive with a quick partner, but we rarely play two. 
Gnanduillet came off the bench v St Mirren and Ginnelly started wide before moving up front v Utd. 

Edited by Pasquale for King

BackOfTheNet
6 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

Very good points well made here. Something I’ve noticed observationally, is Boyce is never in a million years a lone striker, as he can’t stretch defences by running channels, doesn’t have the pace for balls over the top, doesn’t win enough headers for flick ons and is not strong enough to hold up play to allow others to join. Interesting to see stats effectively back that up.

Pasquale for King
20 minutes ago, Clerry Jambo said:

But surely he wouldn’t reveal all his plans to the press 🤔🤷🏾‍♂️😜?!?!

All three would be great. 

32 minutes ago, MyWay said:

Surely his point still stands though? If Boyce is to be used in a deeper role it basically leaves us with zero senior out and out strikers. I really think 2 strikers are needed to allow for rotation. Henderson won't cut it IMO.

Also agree. Not suggesting Henderson is the answer but let's give him his chance. There should be  plenty games in which to do so.

51 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ I’d blocked him out

That's more than he blocked! 😍

Batistuta87
16 minutes ago, Clerry Jambo said:

Decent update in that that Shankland, Ronan AND Simms are all still on the table. No comment on Lane but I know absolutely nothing about him other than what we've been told since the link emerged. I thought it would be a case of Grant or Ronan and not both but the more the merrier! 

Signing all four would be absolutely tremendous business. 

48 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Wouldn’t go a long with this viewpoint at all. If anything Boyce was struggling for a couple of months until he got put back into the 10 and looked a lot better.

But I guess that’s opinions for you. Personally I don’t think he has the legs anymore to be a number 9. However his link up play and close control is useful behind the strikers.

Batistuta87
4 minutes ago, innerjambo said:

So nothing new then, just a rehashed, regurgitated article from last week.

Its encouraging that they're not dead in the water though. 

RustyRightPeg
57 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

We were fortunate last year though. Boyce stayed clear of injury, and when Simms did get a niggle and was held out of games we weren’t the same team. 

I personally think we will end up with 3 (4 if Henderson somehow creeps into match day squads). 

Sub4TiddlerMurray
38 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

It's a bit pedantic to say that you can only play with 2 strikers if you set up with, say, 442. 

Almost every game we play has at least 3 in the front positions switching places in a fluid set up (e.g. Gino moving into the no. 9 position and Simms moving wide). 

Pasquale for King
Just now, Mr Rabbit said:

Wouldn’t go a long with this viewpoint at all. If anything Boyce was struggling for a couple of months until he got put back into the 10 and looked a lot better.

But I guess that’s opinions for you. Personally I don’t think he has the legs anymore to be a number 9. However his link up play and close control is useful behind the strikers.

Could you name the games that he contributed in a deeper role? He was in poor form since coming back from injury and his biggest contribution was closing down and tackles in the second half of the season. He rarely created a chance and only scored twice I think against top level teams since the winter break. 
Im not sure he can play up front on his own either. 

Sub4TiddlerMurray
46 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Not sure he will to be honest, depends where we see Rowles, if he goes in at LCB, Kingsley will play LB, however if Rowles is going to play in the centre of the 3 or as a spare, then Cochrane will see plenty game time, for me Kingsley is the better player

It's hard to speculate really. We brought Cochrane back for a reason and I'm sure it wasn't to warm the bench.

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

We were fortunate last year though. Boyce stayed clear of injury, and when Simms did get a niggle and was held out of games we weren’t the same team. 

I personally think we will end up with 3 (4 if Henderson somehow creeps into match day squads). 

He had a few minor injuries, I’m in agreement we need two more strikers I just don’t think we will get them. 

1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

I think anyone expecting Simms AND Shankand is going to be disappointed, he’s stated a few times he’s only looking for one striker. 
Im sure we have someone else lined up if neither sign. 

1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

Why should he tell the likes of the Evening news his transfer plans? 

You don’t believe everything you read in the press? 

:kirk:

RustyRightPeg
2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

He had a few minor injuries, I’m in agreement we need two more strikers I just don’t think we will get them. 

Aye nothing major where we were without him for a few weeks/months.

I even think if it wasn’t the cup final the week after he went off against Rangers at the end of the year he could’ve been held out for a couple of weeks. 

132goals1958
2 minutes ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

It's hard to speculate really. We brought Cochrane back for a reason and I'm sure it wasn't to warm the bench.

In saying that it is becoming more and more a 16 man game with the increase in substitutes. Sure there will be lots of rotation next season

Sub4TiddlerMurray
Just now, 132goals1958 said:

In saying that it is becoming more and more a 16 man game with the increase in substitutes. Sure there will be lots of rotation next season

true

11 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Decent update in that that Shankland, Ronan AND Simms are all still on the table. No comment on Lane but I know absolutely nothing about him other than what we've been told since the link emerged. I thought it would be a case of Grant or Ronan and not both but the more the merrier! 

Signing all four would be absolutely tremendous business. 

There was a comment on Lane:

"As things stand, Hearts have not made any move for the Fleetwood Town winger Paddy Lane."

I really hope that we're looking for at least 2 new strikers. I don't feel that one is enough. Boyce whilst a good footballer isn't fast enough or deadly to lead the line anymore. He's fine as a 10 but not as a 9.  We need strikers with pace and better finishing if we're to improve. 

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

It's a bit pedantic to say that you can only play with 2 strikers if you set up with, say, 442. 

Almost every game we play has at least 3 in the front positions switching places in a fluid set up (e.g. Gino moving into the no. 9 position and Simms moving wide). 

You wouldnt call McKay a striker though and Gino didn’t start many games. It’s one striker no matter which one of the three is furthest forward. 
Boyce can obviously play with Simms or Shankland ahead of him, let’s hope the opportunity arises. Whether we can give all three enough game time might be a problem, albeit a nice one to have. 

Are we really calling Neilson a liar for not blabbing all his exact plans to the local newspaper .......................... really

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

Why should he tell the likes of the Evening news his transfer plans? 

You don’t believe everything you read in the press? 

:kirk:

No I don’t but I don’t McKinley to lie on his behalf, it’s not like he’s hiding who we are interested in is it? 

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Aye nothing major where we were without him for a few weeks/months.

I even think if it wasn’t the cup final the week after he went off against Rangers at the end of the year he could’ve been held out for a couple of weeks. 

A game he or Simms should never have started. 

15 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Its encouraging that they're not dead in the water though. 

Aye, very true.

RustyRightPeg
3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

A game he or Simms should never have started. 

Exactly. Reaffirms the need for a deep squad, particularly at the top end of the pitch. 

Watt-Zeefuik
4 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Paddy Lane story has some legs in it. 

Lots of figures in and out. All the people that come and go, say hello.

Very strange.

• davemclaren changed the title to *** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***