• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RustyRightPeg

• Sooks

• Bazzas right boot

• BackOfTheNet

Nookie Bear
1 hour ago, Biffa Bacon said:

Wind the clock back a year, and that where Hibs thought they were, albeit we have guaranteed group stages in Europe. It didn't quite go according to their forecast.

True but you can only go on where a club is now and guess where they are heading. 

Aberdeen are a shambles and need a complete overhaul. 

(I do agree that we shouldn't get too carried away with ourselves though. I don't like the self-congratulating posts we sometimes see on here. Next season will be the hardest we've had in years - every club will be targeting us, and that includes the old firm more than ever...plus we have European football to manage)

Edited by Nookie Bear

Hectormasson
1 hour ago, AlphonseCapone said:

That's a horrendous and massively incorrect statement.

Playing in front of 17/18k sold out stadium versus barely hitting 10k not a draw? What about a settled team, management and club going forward versus a club that finished 10th, with a radge for an owner? What about living in Edinburgh? What about access to some of the best training facilities in the country? 

That's not even touching the fallacy that Aberdeen have suddenly become Scotland's Man City. 

33 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

The fact he knows the Scottish game, was a standout in a reasonably poor St Mirren team - Wolves wanted to keep him on the books and have only just come out to say they don't see a future with him in the first team, International caps - all factors that point to him being a good player. As i've said with all our signings stepping up, they are joining a team with better players round them - so simply put, he should be even better playing for hearts than for mirren - however, i know that's not how football words at times. 

Bit of a strange thing for Wolves to say really when at least 2 clubs want him. You’d have thought they’d have bigged him up rather than basically saying he can go as they don’t fancy him. Maybe the money being talked about just means nothing to them. I’m not sure it’s about who bids the most here, it’s more about where the lad fancies playing football now and a little bit of agent posturing and haggling over money 

Edited by JimmyCant

4 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Nobody has more cause to dislike or diss Aberdeen more than myself, however you are delusional if you don't think they are competing with us financially. 

They have had one bad season we have had one good one, they have raised more cash in a week than what we get for a whole year of European football, their budget and turnover more than ours last season. 

Hopefully they piss it all away again but they are very much competition for us in the same market. 

Forget they have to pay for a stadium, that will need to be funded eventually, budgets are worked differently to just banking a sum.

I think what we have over them is location, an upward curve and clear planning, European football is a red herring, unless its Champions League 

I don't think I've seen anyone suggest that Aberdeen wouldn't financially compete with us. I am sure there wage bill has been higher or comparable for some years now.

In terms of the stadium, there is no way that is not impactful on budgets for them. To the extent that they can't pay similar wages to us- probably not short term. But that's hanging over them and will have an impact on budgeting decisions and how income (such as transfer fees) are used.

I am not sure what you mean by Europe is a red herring. In terms of making Hearts a more attractive proposition it absolutely is, be that Europa or Conference. We will be signing players who ambitions lay beyond Hearts and getting to showcase themselves in at least 8 high profile matches is a carrot for many players. Perform well there and it opens up markets.

8 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Ronan in a good team would be interesting.

Aberdeen as it stands are self-evidently not a good team. They are barely a team. Huge changes and disruption required to change that.

We just need to become better. No disruption needed for that - our team remains the 3rd best in Scotland as matters stand.

Best platform for players looking to sell their wares.

This! As things stand they are in dire need of a lot of players, they have the following squad for next season

GK - Joe Lewis, Gary Woods

RB - none

LB - Jack McKenzie

CB - Gallagher, Bates

Def Mid - McCrorie, Ferguson, Polvara

CM - Barron

LW - Kennedy

RW - Hayes, Besuijen, Watkins, McLennan

ST - Ramirez

So they need at least 2 RB, 1 LB, 2 CB, 1 CM/ACM, 1 LW, 2 ST, the only places they seem to have an abundance of players is in the centre and the right side of midfield yet they are challenging us for Ronan that plays right or centre?

Batistuta87
7 minutes ago, Ribble said:

This! As things stand they are in dire need of a lot of players, they have the following squad for next season

GK - Joe Lewis, Gary Woods

RB - none

LB - Jack McKenzie

CB - Gallagher, Bates

Def Mid - McCrorie, Ferguson, Polvara

CM - Barron

LW - Kennedy

RW - Hayes, Besuijen, Watkins, McLennan

ST - Ramirez

So they need at least 2 RB, 1 LB, 2 CB, 1 CM/ACM, 1 LW, 2 ST, the only places they seem to have an abundance of players is in the centre and the right side of midfield yet they are challenging us for Ronan that plays right or centre?

Ramirez is rumoured to be on the way out too so that could be another. Such a big rebuild will be hard work and won't gel overnight. Can see them being in a bit of a mess for a wee while yet. 

1 hour ago, wavydavy said:

Aberdeen must be favourites to sign him now they have sold Ramsay and looks like they may have to let Ferguson  go as well so they will have plenty cash. The only draw for us will be the European Football.

Not sure the "only" draw.  Don't underestimate how good we are at selling our club and city.  Aberdeen may well give him a few hundred quid more, but we might just get over with him on what we can do for his career, our facilities etc (though their training facilities are decent these days).

Not EVERYONE is just cash orientated and he may just get a gut feeling we're his better longterm option.

From a football point of view, he can go to Aberdeen, where it's all a bit uncertain, or he can come to us who are settled and looking to reach next level.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
12 minutes ago, bistokid said:

I don't think I've seen anyone suggest that Aberdeen wouldn't financially compete with us. I am sure there wage bill has been higher or comparable for some years now.

In terms of the stadium, there is no way that is not impactful on budgets for them. To the extent that they can't pay similar wages to us- probably not short term. But that's hanging over them and will have an impact on budgeting decisions and how income (such as transfer fees) are used.

I am not sure what you mean by Europe is a red herring. In terms of making Hearts a more attractive proposition it absolutely is, be that Europa or Conference. We will be signing players who ambitions lay beyond Hearts and getting to showcase themselves in at least 8 high profile matches is a carrot for many players. Perform well there and it opens up markets.

I don't think the other European tournaments are necessarily a huge draw. If they offer something else in a package that is right for an individual, contract length, wages conditions etc, it might not be the decider, Europe. 

Both teams have good selling points for them. Selling a player to Liverpool for 6.5 million as Sky billed it, top story, is fantastic publicity for them. Important for us we continue to keep our business confidential. 

Still confident we will beat them off, but certainly see them as a threat, if, if they get it right 

6 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Ramirez is rumoured to be on the way out too so that could be another. Such a big rebuild will be hard work and won't gel overnight. Can see them being in a bit of a mess for a wee while yet. 

I'd rather be in that position if I were Goodwin, than Johnson's position at Hibs I suppose.

We've done it before to be fair, brought in a whole bunch of players who've clicked pretty quickly and done well.  Can sometimes work.

We'll see I guess.  I don't think Cormack will be shy putting budget to it, so they do have a chance.  Goodwin for me is yet to really prove himself, but this is his big go at it.  Sink or swim really.

We simply need to be aiming to beat our points total from last season.  We do that, even if Aberdeen do well, don't see them catching us.

Have I missed something in the 200 odd pages of drivel?

Why are some obsessed with the sheep?

As at least one poster said, all these wonderful, highly sellable assests they have managed to get them the lofty heights of 10th place; TENTH!

I am genuinely not sure why some are comparing them to us. We have a pretty sound infrastructure now in terms of recruitment, the sheep have not. Granted they have scooped a few quid for the full back but should we now all wet the bed, shut up shop and go home as the mighty sheep charge inexorably towards at least 3rd in the league?

NO.

I am not overly bothered who they sign, whether they are reportedly our targets or not. I am only bothered who Hearts sign and that is it.

I trust Doc, Robbie and the wider team to get the players we need in the door and we'll push on again next season.

Edited by John Rambo

3 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

I don't think the other European tournaments are necessarily a huge draw. If they offer something else in a package that is right for an individual, contract length, wages conditions etc, it might not be the decider, Europe. 

Both teams have good selling points for them. Selling a player to Liverpool for 6.5 million as Sky billed it, top story, is fantastic publicity for them. Important for us we continue to keep our business confidential. 

Still confident we will beat them off, but certainly see them as a threat, if, if they get it right 

Money will always be a key factor. But I think you are downplaying guaranteed European football's allure to a player that is coming to Scotland. The players the likes of us and Aberdeen can attract, their pinnacle is winning cups and European football. After that it's getting a move to an elite club where leagues and Champions League football is the ambition. For a club our size having the ability to offer a player of the stature that we can afford, that platform, will be a big tick in our for column.  I'd suggest more alluring than selling a player to Liverpool.

1 hour ago, AndyNic said:

Is Ronan really that special a player? 

Would it be a big loss if we were to miss out on him?

He's a good player but i think there's better out there tbh.

1 hour ago, Absolute Scenes said:

hmm tricky choice

establishment club, fan-owned, fan-backed, guaranteed European football with a visionary and ambitious coaching team, in the most beautiful city in Europe

living in a concrete jungle in a grey city, being invited to participate in questionable activities with farm animals, 500 miles from nowhere - for a "hopefully better" season

Come on Ronan, its really not that hard lad

Also, there's a fair few wet wipes in our support eh

You're stretching it a bit there

31 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Nobody has more cause to dislike or diss Aberdeen more than myself, however you are delusional if you don't think they are competing with us financially. 

They have had one bad season we have had one good one, they have raised more cash in a week than what we get for a whole year of European football, their budget and turnover more than ours last season. 

Hopefully they piss it all away again but they are very much competition for us in the same market. 

Forget they have to pay for a stadium, that will need to be funded eventually, budgets are worked differently to just banking a sum.

I think what we have over them is location, an upward curve and clear planning, European football is a red herring, unless its Champions League 

I agree with the overall point, but why do you say their turnover was be higher than ours last season? In the last fully pre-COVID season in 2019 they took in 15.9m and us 15.0m. That gap is surely more than closed by the prize money differences between 2 places below and 9 places above.

Fxxx the SPFL
1 minute ago, DC_92 said:

I agree with the overall point, but why do you say their turnover was be higher than ours last season? In the last fully pre-COVID season in 2019 they took in 15.9m and us 15.0m. That gap is surely more than closed by the prize money differences between 2 places below and 9 places above.

I would say we have overtaken them in the last year they relied on hospitality the oil gas sector goosed we’ll be further ahead next year they’re only saving grace is player sales 

Any decent offer for Ferguson and Aberdeen will bite their hand off so they can boast about how much money they have. Nobody comes in and they will boast about how they’re building the squad around him as a smokescreen.
But I’m in no doubt that the first option is their preferred option. 

1 minute ago, Phil D. Corners said:

Some ITK’ers getting shown up today. :lol: 

Could quite easily still arrive in Edinburgh today though, although some saying he arrived in Edinburgh yesterday look a bit silly now! 

Absolute Scenes
19 minutes ago, Musemic said:

Not me mate, it was recently voted as that

BackOfTheNet

So, looking like we’re after Ronan and Shankland for now. If I’m honest, a tad underwhelming. I’m hoping for more exciting moves once June is done. Not saying they’re bad moves, just not exciting ones.

BackOfTheNet

Oh, and I assume we’re all referring to him as Yer Da-nda now that he’s signing for County and not us? Do we have consensus?

15 minutes ago, Phil D. Corners said:

Some ITK’ers getting shown up today. :lol: 

Beerschot have recently signed a new striker and a winger just for information

42 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Not sure the "only" draw.  Don't underestimate how good we are at selling our club and city.  Aberdeen may well give him a few hundred quid more, but we might just get over with him on what we can do for his career, our facilities etc (though their training facilities are decent these days).

Not EVERYONE is just cash orientated and he may just get a gut feeling we're his better longterm option.

From a football point of view, he can go to Aberdeen, where it's all a bit uncertain, or he can come to us who are settled and looking to reach next level.

I was thinking along the lines of Goodwin managed to get him to go to St Mirren on loan and now that he potentially has money to spemnd at Aberdeen he may think that Goodwin will improve them and they are a much bigger club than St Mirren.

I wasn't trying to undersell our club in anyway which seems to be the way a number of posters have taken my earler post about us be ing in Europe the main attraction.

There are lots of factors that players will take into account not least, money or the draw of Europe and I hope that he chooses us over Aberdeen if it comes down to just the two of us.

7 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

I was thinking along the lines of Goodwin managed to get him to go to St Mirren on loan and now that he potentially has money to spemnd at Aberdeen he may think that Goodwin will improve them and they are a much bigger club than St Mirren.

I wasn't trying to undersell our club in anyway which seems to be the way a number of posters have taken my earler post about us be ing in Europe the main attraction.

There are lots of factors that players will take into account not least, money or the draw of Europe and I hope that he chooses us over Aberdeen if it comes down to just the two of us.

If you had said the main draw rather than the only draw then there would be the basis for a debate but you said only 😄 

Not sure what other way any one could have taken that

15 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Oh yeah I get it.  And if I were an Aberdeen fan (shudder), I'd be thinking of good selling points I'd think would bring him there (knows the manager, the dosh, main man in a rebuild, their guys who've just got big money moves, he could be next... they'll think they've got good chance of landing him).  

I was just making point I think Joe and Robbie do a very good job of selling our club to players (and McKinlay and Lockie do with sponsors etc) these days

31 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

So, looking like we’re after Ronan and Shankland for now. If I’m honest, a tad underwhelming. I’m hoping for more exciting moves once June is done. Not saying they’re bad moves, just not exciting ones.

Yeah they’re not next level type signings. Don’t know if we’re financially at the stage to make those signings yet but I think there is better out there. 

40 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Sometimes the exciting signings don't always work out. We've all seen plenty of them flop in our time 

Why do people think Aberdeen have more money than us:

Hearts have 5000 more season ticket sales as it goes to puplic sale 

Hearts had more prize money last year

Hearts have euro income minimum £4m

Aberdeen have a larger wage bill

Aberdeen sold a player for £5m

Aberdeen need to find £75m fora stadium

And...Hearts have the foundation

So can't understand why people think aberdeen have more than Hearts ?

Gearing up for another double signing!   Yes!    I'll say Tuesday.    If its a triple signing I don't know if I can manage my excitement.  😰 

Can't say I'm that fussed about Ronan.  If we could only afford one of Shankland or him, it'd be Shankland every day of the week.

I know nothing about Grant other than what has been posted on here about his stats ect so hard to feel strongly about it either way

Jambo 4 Ever
1 minute ago, Le Chat said:

Can't say I'm that fussed about Ronan.  If we could only afford one of Shankland or him, it'd be Shankland every day of the week.

This 

3 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

They've seen something in the chap we can't see.  What I'll say is the recruitment is "no stone left unturned" these days, so this ain't a trusted agent telling us he's guid and us falling in line.

We'll have been speaking to everyone we can in that black book about the guy and pouring over every stat and bit of analysis available.  We'll have seen him play a number of times too, or have trusted guys who have and referenced him.

So while this would be a signing two seasons ago, I'd have thought "hhmmmm", I now think "OK, let's see".

So.  Ok, let's see!!!!

Sub4TiddlerMurray
2 hours ago, Absolute Scenes said:

hmm tricky choice

establishment club, fan-owned, fan-backed, guaranteed European football with a visionary and ambitious coaching team, in the most beautiful city in Europe

living in a concrete jungle in a grey city, being invited to participate in questionable activities with farm animals, 500 miles from nowhere - for a "hopefully better" season

Come on Ronan, its really not that hard lad

Also, there's a fair few wet wipes in our support eh

1 hour ago, Musemic said:

True. Aberdeen’s nowhere near that attractive 

RustyRightPeg

Anyone else get the impression Grant is an instead of and not as well as Ronan?

Gimme an H...
Just now, RustyRightPeg said:

Yip.

Jambo 4 Ever
2 minutes ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

True. Aberdeen’s nowhere near that attractive 

Might be under less pressure at Aberdeen  

Certainly seem to be same position - AM kinda guys right?  What I actually quite like if we're spending on Grant is the fact he's 27.  I know that it's great to bring in young players with sell on etc, but it shows a bit of confidence to go out and put dosh on a guy at that age for us.  It makes me feel confident that we're confident.  Does that make sense?!

10 minutes ago, Le Chat said:

IMO we need more midfield creativity, based on the fact we dont really have any.

RustyRightPeg
1 minute ago, TheBigO said:

Certainly seem to be same position - AM kinda guys right?  What I actually quite like if we're spending on Grant is the fact he's 27.  I know that it's great to bring in young players with sell on etc, but it shows a bit of confidence to go out and put dosh on a guy at that age for us.  It makes me feel confident that we're confident.  Does that make sense?!

I have a blank canvas with most new signings unless they’re really well known to me. Grant is a blank canvas and if he is coming in I’ll be excited to see how he does. 

JS will have seen him down south no doubt from when he worked there with Preston. Maybe one he’s sold to RN? Who knows. 

If he’s coming, get behind him. That’s all I say to it. 

So offer accepted for Grant and it seems shankand but I do wonder if this means we’re not in for Ronan.   Has there actually been any confirmation that we are apart from here and a couple of media reports?   I’d take him but serious question about  our def interest.

Edited by Gmcjambo

I have a blank canvas with most new signings unless they’re really well known to me. Grant is a blank canvas and if he is coming in I’ll be excited to see how he does. 

JS will have seen him down south no doubt from when he worked there with Preston. Maybe one he’s sold to RN? Who knows. 

If he’s coming, get behind him. That’s all I say to it. 

Absolutely mate.

Would like to know a bit about him.  Hope he's quick.  I'd like a touch more pace in our team, especially centrally.  Different position, but Simms put the frighteners up defenders any time he ran full pelt!!  Loved it.

6 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Yeah was just going to post asking that question. 

Goodwin signed him for St Mirren so probably trusts him and knows his place in his plans? 

• davemclaren changed the title to *** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***