*** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***

dazajmbo

5 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Anyone else get the impression Grant is an instead of and not as well as Ronan?

No.    Soon as there's an article saying we've dropped our interest in Ronan I will.   ☺ 

I still think they are different positions in a 343 at least.    Grant a forward,  Ronan able to drop deep in center or attack.  

• Replies 39.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RustyRightPeg

• Sooks

• Bazzas right boot

• BackOfTheNet

jamboinglasgow
46 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

So, looking like we’re after Ronan and Shankland for now. If I’m honest, a tad underwhelming. I’m hoping for more exciting moves once June is done. Not saying they’re bad moves, just not exciting ones.

I am not worried (or too underwhelmed) yet. We are building a squad for the league and Europe. So it means improving through out with a standard of player. So far we are doing that (Rowles an improvement on Moore (and potentially even greater than that,) Forrest better than our wingers, Neilson is a long term player, Shankland as a poacher means we improve on finishing chances created especially created by McKay, Ronan would improve CM pushing forward.) Get all that sorted and you have an even better base than last season to build upon.

Thats when the bigger signings come in. But its also worth remembering that the better (or bigger) the player, the more complicated the signing becomes and longer to do. 

Jambo 4 Ever
1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

He's a good player but i think there's better out there tbh.

Other than his wonder goal against us, has he done anything else of note?

Edited by Jambo 4 Ever

8 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Certainly seem to be same position - AM kinda guys right?  What I actually quite like if we're spending on Grant is the fact he's 27.  I know that it's great to bring in young players with sell on etc, but it shows a bit of confidence to go out and put dosh on a guy at that age for us.  It makes me feel confident that we're confident.  Does that make sense?!

Both can play Am but Ronan also been played on the right so not necessarily one or the other

Played with Grant at a youth level actually. Good player and a nice guy.

Only strange thing was that he used to eat Monster Munch sandwiches at lunch

1 minute ago, Jeff said:

Kris Boyd school of dining 😂

Phil D. Corners
1 minute ago, Jeff said:

Pickle flavour, was great. 

Space raiders and Tangy Toms were also good in a soft roll. 

Im warming to Grant already. 

The Lincoln fans raved about him, no idea what he is like as I have never watched him. However I trust the management to know what they are doing with this. Hopefully if he joins he can be the type of midfielder who can get beyond the strikers and score. 

2 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Other than his wonder goal against us, has he done anything else or note?

Nope, St Mirren gave him player of the season just for that goal

It would be nice if we could go out and make a statement of intent signing but I think the most important use of our budget will be to expand the size of the squad in order to keep 3rd spot nailed down while also doing our best to compete in European games and cup games.

Our first XI is pretty decent. I wouldn't be scared of anyone else in the league coming to take 3rd spot from us providing we maintain decent performance levels.

But injuries were a problem last season due to squad depth and this season will be an even bigger test with alot more games.

1 hour ago, Sooks said:

If you had said the main draw rather than the only draw then there would be the basis for a debate but you said only 😄 

Not sure what other way any one could have taken that

It was probably the way I worded it rather than trying to undersell our club.

6 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

He scored a wonder goal against The Rangers.    Same range, less swerve I think.    

He scored eight goals, I can't remember the other six 😕 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, DC_92 said:

I agree with the overall point, but why do you say their turnover was be higher than ours last season? In the last fully pre-COVID season in 2019 they took in 15.9m and us 15.0m. That gap is surely more than closed by the prize money differences between 2 places below and 9 places above.

Didn't realise we had closed the gap so much. 

Anyhow, certainly not trying to big them up,  however its not the significant gap we have created that some think. Their ambition remains high and I suspect we will both be offered very similar players on very similar wage terms. 

I don't think its irrelevant to this thread as suggested, Ronan the assumption for one. 

I'm happy with our infrastructure, I wouldn't be happy with there's but different strokes for different folks and it's far from the realms of fantasy that they might be able to sell themselves better. 

They can probably guarantee Ronan game time we can't for example 

Just now, Bauld said:

It would be nice if we could go out and make a statement of intent signing but I think the most important use of our budget will be to expand the size of the squad in order to keep 3rd spot nailed down while also doing our best to compete in European games and cup games.

Our first XI is pretty decent. I wouldn't be scared of anyone else in the league coming to take 3rd spot from us providing we maintain decent performance levels.

But injuries were a problem last season due to squad depth and this season will be an even bigger test with alot more games.

Aberdeen will no doubt give us a run for 3rd, they will spend

1 minute ago, HMFC01 said:

He scored a wonder goal against The Rangers.    Same range, less swerve I think.    

Scored a beauty into Hibs too IIRC

59 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Oh yeah I get it.  And if I were an Aberdeen fan (shudder), I'd be thinking of good selling points I'd think would bring him there (knows the manager, the dosh, main man in a rebuild, their guys who've just got big money moves, he could be next... they'll think they've got good chance of landing him).  

I was just making point I think Joe and Robbie do a very good job of selling our club to players (and McKinlay and Lockie do with sponsors etc) these days

Oh yes I understand your point and you are 100 % correct.

3 minutes ago, HMFC01 said:

Sure he scored Easter Road, Pittodrie and Dens Park too.

He’s a very technically gifted footballer.

Just now, Jeff said:

Scored a beauty into Hibs too IIRC

Sold...   That's all you had to say 😂

To be honest I vaguely remember he tallied one in on them.    Him and Forrest got a taste for scoring against them. 

3 minutes ago, SCFHearts said:

Aberdeen will no doubt give us a run for 3rd, they will spend

Well apparently Ronan is their number 1 target. I'd happily take him but I see him as a squad player at the moment rather than instant starter.

If that is the height of their ambition against the money they are bringing in then I am not even slightly concerned.

3 minutes ago, HMFC01 said:

Sold...   That's all you had to say 😂

To be honest I vaguely remember he tallied one in on them.    Him and Forrest got a taste for scoring against them. 

Aye but so did Gary Glen and Nade :D

Rick Sanchez

Sounds like a Lancefield recommendation to me. Beni isn't too shabby. I know nothing of the guy but I'll take it.

This thread is doing my nut in! It's stopping me working this constant checking in for an update on potential signings. He's coming, he's no, he is, he isnae! Ffs Hearts put us out our misery and get some deals concluded! 

Have hibs made a pretendy bid for Ronan yet to try to look relevant? 

It's funny though, now Wolves have put him on the market, let's see what interest there is in England. Plenty money sloshing about down there for players like him.

Malinga the Swinga
14 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Led St Mirren to bottom 6 securing safety in 2nd last game of season. Scored few goals, had less assists than goals, so no, nothing exceptional.

jamboinglasgow
18 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Certainly seem to be same position - AM kinda guys right?  What I actually quite like if we're spending on Grant is the fact he's 27.  I know that it's great to bring in young players with sell on etc, but it shows a bit of confidence to go out and put dosh on a guy at that age for us.  It makes me feel confident that we're confident.  Does that make sense?!

I think had he not gone to Peterborough and had a poor time I think there would be a lot more enthusiasm about him here. Read a bit about him where he was in the 20/21 League One team of the season for Sky Sports based on whoscored's stats (in left midfield, though not sure if that is just to fill that area in a team of the year.) The stats they gave were he had a hand in almost a third of all Lincoln's goals that season (13 goals and 7 assists) and they argued he should have had a lot more had his team-mates been able to finish them when they should have. Also had the fifth highest amount of key passes in the league.

Certainly suggests a creative player. I suspect Hearts view him as an undervalued player who  we can get a good deal on (Peterborough may say £750k, but they transfer listed him so that normally means that the price comes down a lot, I suspect its just posturing in public from Peterborough the price they gave.)

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Assuming Jorge must have decent numbers for the stats men. Nothing I'm seeing online that hints of any real quality. Speculative I think 

19 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Monster Munch sandwiches.........i like him already !!!!!

I see he is from the same English town as my missus, few years younger though. 

hmfc_liam06

I think the whelmometer will be in full throttle once the EPL sides know what they’re doing with their squads…around August time.

I think we are only approaching half way in our recruitment if we get Shankland and Grant. Still think there will be a couple of signings that get the juices going. Wouldn't be surprised if there were also a couple of departures. 

Pasquale for King
19 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Aye but so did Gary Glen and Nade :D

The list of average players that have scored against them for us is endless. You only have to look back a couple of months to see the latest 😜😆

Absolute Scenes
11 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Assuming Jorge must have decent numbers for the stats men. Nothing I'm seeing online that hints of any real quality. Speculative I think 

The Lincoln forum raved about him, their player of the season. Sometimes moves dont work out, doesnt mean he wont be impressive

BackOfTheNet
35 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

I am not worried (or too underwhelmed) yet. We are building a squad for the league and Europe. So it means improving through out with a standard of player. So far we are doing that (Rowles an improvement on Moore (and potentially even greater than that,) Forrest better than our wingers, Neilson is a long term player, Shankland as a poacher means we improve on finishing chances created especially created by McKay, Ronan would improve CM pushing forward.) Get all that sorted and you have an even better base than last season to build upon.

Thats when the bigger signings come in. But its also worth remembering that the better (or bigger) the player, the more complicated the signing becomes and longer to do. 

Definitely, I won’t be pre-judging too much (even though my initial reaction is underwhelmed), we have to see how they do in a Hearts shirt anyway. Just wouldn’t mind a signing to get excited about.

Absolute Scenes
3 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

The story states he is being looked at by championship clubs, so maybe not as crap as some are assuming

correct. Fans on here seem to have tunnel vision and base a players ability on the last club he was at and how that spell went. Ignoring a team of the season selection, 17 goals from midfield, number of games and his overall contribution. But aye he didnt do that well for Peterborough so must be crap. Caveman mindset

Rudi5kaceldream1ng

Let's see how this turns out. I'm not a fan of the English Market for hearts players though tbh. 

Jambo 4 Ever
1 minute ago, Rudi5kaceldream1ng said:

Let's see how this turns out. I'm not a fan of the English Market for hearts players though tbh. 

why not?

atleast they might be more likely to know who hearts are and will no issues with communication 

2 minutes ago, Rudi5kaceldream1ng said:

Boyce, Smith, Simms, McKay, Beni, it isn't always bad.

jamboinglasgow
3 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

correct. Fans on here seem to have tunnel vision and base a players ability on the last club he was at and how that spell went. Ignoring a team of the season selection, 17 goals from midfield, number of games and his overall contribution. But aye he didnt do that well for Peterborough so must be crap. Caveman mindset

It reminds me, I remember saying the best transfer policy should be about finding players who are best fit for your system who are playing at teams where they dont fit that system. Basically you get the player right for you and you can save a lot of money as the selling club thinks the player is poor and wants rid.

Jorge Grant seems an odd signing from what I can gather. Seems to be unable to play in a CM 2 for Pompey last season. The jist being that the game passes him by. That may be a physicality thing, he doesn't appear to be particularly strong or quick with the admittedly limited viewing I've done. Sounds like his best position is in the 10 as part of a 3 man midfield which is an area we have a gap but does mean he may struggle to find a natural position if we were to go 343. If it is out the two I feel Ronan looks to be more explosive and flexible in terms of fitting into our formations. 

Albeit this is based on very limited evidence.

36 minutes ago, Bauld said:

Well apparently Ronan is their number 1 target. I'd happily take him but I see him as a squad player at the moment rather than instant starter.

If that is the height of their ambition against the money they are bringing in then I am not even slightly concerned.

If we sign Grant will we still be interested in Ronan?  I somehow get the impression it's either/or.

15 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

I am going to just wait and see and I definitely am not going to judge him before I have had a chance to watch him play but i think some one posted that of those 13 goals he score 11 were penalties ........................ I am optimistic though

Saint Jambo
44 minutes ago, Bauld said:

I agree. There are a lot of people commenting as if the only way to improve is to sign players who would be a definite first choice ahead of who we already have. But players who improve or expand our squad at the same quality are also like to improve us overall over the course of a season.

I'm sure that we will aim to sign some players to go into the first XI. But Neilson has talked about going from a 21 to a 24 man squad, so there will doubtless be some players signed who are seen as improving the squad as their main asset.

2 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

Shankland was pre season straining at Beerhof today, so he won't be getting revealed anytime soon.

Just our luck signed for the physio table eh

• davemclaren changed the title to *** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***