*** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***

dazajmbo

Batistuta87
59 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Not been on here for a couple of days. We are spending £750k for a Peterborough player (really) & Billy Gilmour? 
Seriously???

Stop sniffing drugs lads!!!!

If you'd actually read the posts you'll see that the 750k is a rumour in the papers, we haven't just made it up, and we're all as perplexed as you on that one. Billy Gilmour was mentioned because someone apparently had a text from a player we were getting from EPL, needing a career boost, assumed Scottish, and Gilmour was about the only player who even came close to the description. Nobody said we'd be in for him, nobody said we had a chance, it was a name pulled out and a complete stab in the dark from the description given. 

Honestly cannot stand when folk take speculation / general chatter so literally and drop in with comments like this. 

Edited by Batistuta87

• Replies 39.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RustyRightPeg

• Sooks

• Bazzas right boot

• BackOfTheNet

Holyrood_Hearts
47 minutes ago, bazman said:

Barrie McKay was hardly setting the heather alight before coming. Can't always look at the stats. Peterborough struggled as a whole last year means nothing 

Spot on!! 

Rick Sanchez
8 minutes ago, Cheile said:

If we are going for Shankland I wonder if Hearts might be offering a player/players swap as part of a deal. Ginelly or McAneff maybe?

You're assuming Ginnelly or McEneff would want to go to the Belgian second division :laugh:

The Wrinkly Ninja

So if I’m reading this correctly….

We shouldn’t sign Grant because his stats last season are poor while playing in a poor Peterborough side.

We should sign Shankland because the only reason his stats are poor in the top division is because he was playing in a poor Dundee United side?

5 minutes ago, The Wrinkly Ninja said:

We shouldn’t sign Grant because his stats last season are poor while playing in a poor Peterborough side.

We should sign Shankland because the only reason his stats are poor in the top division is because he was playing in a poor Dundee United side?

TBF, it’s probably different people on each side. But yeah, that’s KB’s collective logic. 

kingantti1874
2 hours ago, innerjambo said:

I agree with this. You hear all the talk from Robbie and Savage about bringing in quality, and moving up a level. Then you hear the name Shankland, and I'm like scratching my head thinking, really??

probably because you watched him struggle in the most defensive side ever to play in this league.  15+ goals easily with the chances we create.

kingantti1874
8 minutes ago, The Wrinkly Ninja said:

don’t know much about Jorge Grant.. will trust the management team

Fo know for a fact that Shankland will score goals for hearts. The Dundee United team were just poor, they barely ventured beyond half way.  unless you are expecting the guy to score from his own half there is no way you can judge him on that season

1 minute ago, The Wrinkly Ninja said:

Grant wasn't getting a game for Peterborough. Their fans think he's crap. They're getting rid even though they're dropping to League One.

Shankland was still Dundee United's best player. He was sold at the end of the season for big money. Their fans liked him and would have him back in a heartbeat. His stats, if underwhelming, weren't that poor either (he scored more from open play than Boyce did for us last season) and he's worked with the manager before.

Anyway, there's plenty of people who don't think we should sign Shankland either.

Get the cash out hearts all the FOH money, Season tickets will sell out, Hickey money, youth player money, all wages saved from players leaving, 3rd place money, euro money, tv money, new merchandise money, cup final money, stellar money for away kit

there should be a warchest available

300k ronan

300k shankland

shouldnt even touch the budget 

id get liam kelly as well for about the same fee

15 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

don’t know much about Jorge Grant.. will trust the management team

Fo know for a fact that Shankland will score goals for hearts. The Dundee United team were just poor, they barely ventured beyond half way.  unless you are expecting the guy to score from his own half there is no way you can judge him on that season

I think Shankland did score from his own half 

I don't think we're interested in Grant, he doesn’t really fit the mould tbh. 

Decent player mind you, I had mentioned him previously as a potential signing when he was out of contract at Lincoln but that was then, this is now and I don't think he improves us. We're certainly not paying 750k, 500k or even 250k for a 2nd choice to Barrie McKay. 

3 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

I don't think we're interested in Grant, he doesn’t really fit the mould tbh. 

Decent player mind you, I had mentioned him previously as a potential signing when he was out of contract at Lincoln but that was then, this is now and I don't think he improves us. We're certainly not paying 750k, 500k or even 250k for a 2nd choice to Barrie McKay. 

According to transfermarket he played majority of his games as a central midfielder last season 

5 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

I think Shankland did score from his own half 

Yes, he did. 

Shankland versus Marshall part two coming soon. :cool_shades:

SomethingAboutObua

Apparently we'll spend up to 750k on a transfer listed League1 27 year old

But we won't spend up to 500k on an SPFL established 24 year old from an EPL team? 

I know Neilson wants experience, but surely no chance we're considering spending that amount of money on a player we'd be almost guaranteed to get no re-sale value from 

Looking at the stats for Grant he's best on the left forward position. 

Ronan best in the center. 

Both can play across the midfield if needed. 

Grant has the best stats by a mile. 

Nookie Bear
7 minutes ago, SomethingAboutObua said:

Apparently we'll spend up to 750k on a transfer listed League1 27 year old

But we won't spend up to 500k on an SPFL established 24 year old from an EPL team? 

I know Neilson wants experience, but surely no chance we're considering spending that amount of money on a player we'd be almost guaranteed to get no re-sale value from 

Think you’re overdoing Ronan’s credentials as he has only played 7 Championship games for Wolves, never in the EPL. 
Grant has played 26 Championship games. 

Only credit Ronan has is his season with St Mirren. He is probably the better option out the two but I don’t think signing 27yr olds is anything like when we signed the likes of Glenn Whelan and Aaron Hughes. Would rather we have guys who can do a job now and not worry too much about sell on value. 

3 minutes ago, HMFC01 said:

Looking at the stats for Grant he's best on the left forward position. 

Ronan best in the center. 

Both can play across the midfield if needed. 

Grant has the best stats by a mile. 

Grant's stats are a lot less impressive when you consider 11 of his 13 goals for Lincoln were penalties or penalty rebounds. Aside from that it's one header and one free-kick.

If we're looking for a goalscoring midfielder then Ronan would probably be a better bet.

48 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

probably because you watched him struggle in the most defensive side ever to play in this league.  15+ goals easily with the chances we create.

I hope so, but I still think it's a bit of a gamble. I'd like to think if we do take a chance on him, we will sign another 1 or 2 strikers on top. We have a very long season ahead. 

18 minutes ago, bazman said:

According to transfermarket he played majority of his games as a central midfielder last season 

That probably speaks for his stats at Peterborough looking poor in comparison to those at Lincoln. His best is definitely inside left or as a #10. 

Batistuta87
17 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Think you’re overdoing Ronan’s credentials as he has only played 7 Championship games for Wolves, never in the EPL. 
Grant has played 26 Championship games. 

Only credit Ronan has is his season with St Mirren. He is probably the better option out the two but I don’t think signing 27yr olds is anything like when we signed the likes of Glenn Whelan and Aaron Hughes. Would rather we have guys who can do a job now and not worry too much about sell on value. 

Ronan just feels like the safer bet doesn't he - both for the fact that he's played in Scotland, done well by scoring and creating goals at a pish team, and is only 24 rather than 27. 

Interesting stat on Ronan is that he was directly involved in a higher percentage of St Mirren's goals last season than Barrie McKay was in ours. 

I wonder if there's any chance we could be going for both?? 

Edited by Batistuta87

kingantti1874
14 minutes ago, innerjambo said:

I hope so, but I still think it's a bit of a gamble. I'd like to think if we do take a chance on him, we will sign another 1 or 2 strikers on top. We have a very long season ahead. 

we need at least 2 and probably 3 if we consider Boyce is more of a #10

Gut feeling is Ronan is far more likely than Grant. And I reckon when we next announce a signing, it'll not just be 1 that day...

2 hours ago, bazman said:

Barrie McKay was hardly setting the heather alight before coming. Can't always look at the stats. Peterborough struggled as a whole last year means nothing 

Correct, and if you were to have a chat with fans of his previous clubs, they'd probably tell you he was pish and didn't offer much.

56 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

Grant's stats are a lot less impressive when you consider 11 of his 13 goals for Lincoln were penalties or penalty rebounds. Aside from that it's one header and one free-kick.

If we're looking for a goalscoring midfielder then Ronan would probably be a better bet.

I have no argument for that.   The penaltys. 

I still think they are better in different positions.    

scott herbertson
1 hour ago, DC_92 said:

I agree with you, but it's always a gamble. Ronan's 24 and in the 4 years before joining St Mirren he played over 100 games and scored three (3) goals. St Mirren have to be credited with getting him in the right positions / giving him the confidence to go for goal

Dick Dastardly
1 hour ago, Batistuta87 said:

Ronan just feels like the safer bet doesn't he - both for the fact that he's played in Scotland, done well by scoring and creating goals at a pish team, and is only 24 rather than 27. 

Interesting stat on Ronan is that he was directly involved in a higher percentage of St Mirren's goals last season than Barrie McKay was in ours. 

That is an interesting stat. Any stats on key passes? I remember McKay creating loads of chances that weren't taken. 

Absolute Scenes
3 hours ago, DC_92 said:

Baningime was 20 when he was at Wigan and was rated enough to play first team matches for Everton at one point. He was a young player with potential, not a 27 year old journeyman who's had one notable season at a reasonable level. He was also free.

If you're looking at players in a similar price range to Grant then there's Connor Ronan who's 24 and has performed in our league. Dylan Levitt is 21 and has been similarly impressive (although I suspect he's off to the Championship). There's potential for improvement with these guys and for a return on your investment if they do particularly well. That isn't the case with Grant.

Of course, we won't only sign players with a view to developing them and selling them on, sometimes we'll want an established player to come and become a mainstay. However, if we're paying relatively big money for a 27 year old then it has to be someone who will play every week and who we're very confident is going to perform. I'd be looking for more than one good season for Lincoln on the CV in that instance.

Also, as a big money signing who'll start most weeks, what role does he fit in the team? In a 3-4-3, maybe you have him and McKay wide of the main striker. But neither he nor McKay are goalscorers (excluding penalties) so that seems a bit powderpuff. Maybe you rotate him with McKay but it seems odd to allocate a lot of money there when a goal threat from attacking midfield is probably more of a priority. Apparently he's better as the most advanced player in a midfield 3 than he is out wide, but that's not a system we've used too often recently.

Maybe he'll come here and be brilliant, it's certainly possible, and on a free I'd be absolutely fine with it, butI've seen too many League One players and Championship rejects flop here to think this is a banker of a signing that we should be paying money for.

If we do sign him, I'm sure we'll have done our due diligence. I don't think we will, though.

These are all good points

it was more in regards to his playing time. Grant has played a lot of games and scored 17 goals from midfield in league one. There’s arguments around the quality of league one compared to SPL, personally I think the top 5/6 teams are better our bottom six sides so for him to be in around that figure goals wise, even if a lot were pens is still impressive. 

some are comparing this signing to Olly Lee which I think is unfair. Lee was playing for league 2 Luton who were floating around the middle of the table, whereas Grant had a very good season for Lincoln who lost out in the playoff games. Still a good season for the lad. He then made the step up to championship with Peterborough but it’s not worked out - it happens. Barrie McKay is a great example of this. 

I think he play either side of the forward, but then again he won’t always start due to our squad size

we’ll also have not paid anywhere near the 750k figure being thrown about. I don’t even think we would pay that for simms if Everton had asked (we can definitely afford that given the season we’ve had) because of how cautious the recruiting team are being - which I understand and respect but also don’t is to be missing out on targets due to being too cautious with our money 

as you said though this is all based on him actually coming to hearts. He might not after all, but if he does he deserves to be backed fully by the support 

Absolute Scenes

I would love to see us going for both. I would be disappointed if we lost out to Aberdeen for Ronan. I think having both of them would be great business and we’d get our investment back on Ronan. If the boy has any sense he’d be jumping over to Edinburgh at the prospects present here rather than the sheep pen. I would take Ronan over Grant for sure, but still think Grant would add energy where Boyce couldn’t in the number 10 role 

Tom Hardy’s Dug

Grant doesn’t sound likely

That said Robbie and Joe and his scouting team will all have watched the lad in person in some way or another when down in England I’d imagine.

Remember often people scout players for years until right time/right place.

It wouldn’t primarily or just be a stats based assessment 

Still can’t see it.

of course ronan was involved in a higher percentage of goals for st mirren, they scored 21 less goals than us in the league. both BM and CR scored or assisted 11 goals in the league, st mirren scored a total of 33 we scored 54

23 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

That is an interesting stat. Any stats on key passes? I remember McKay creating loads of chances that weren't taken. 

McKay 2.6 KP per game. 2285 mins. 62 total. 
Ronan 1.5 KP per game. 2129 mins. 36 total. 

McKay created lots more chances. Ronan scored more goals. 

Edited by CMc

Dick Dastardly
1 minute ago, CMc said:

McKay 2.6 KP per game. 2285 mins. 
Ronan 1.5 KP per game. 2129 mins. 

👍🏻 Cheers

6 minutes ago, CMc said:

McKay 2.6 KP per game. 2285 mins. 62 total. 
Ronan 1.5 KP per game. 2129 mins. 36 total. 

Imagine how many goals Shankland would get with Ronan and Mckay supplying them service 

heatonjambo
5 minutes ago, King prawn said:

25DFC274-201F-433B-A578-857A574D0BF3.thumb.png.3b43d65c1d54b6a04595afc61caad439.png44B6B3AC-5994-4074-A111-453391661745.thumb.png.7ee49243e04f7ff43314c093f9793367.png

What I find scary about those figures is our top two assist players combined only created 10 more chances than tavernier!

Dick Dastardly
3 minutes ago, Spookie said:

Imagine how many goals Shankland would get with Ronan and Mckay supplying them service 

Don't forget Forrest and Boyce

1 minute ago, heatonjambo said:

What I find scary about those figures is our top two assist players combined only created 10 more chances than tavernier!

Our bigger problem is that Ginnelly only created 15 chances the whole season. What’s the point in having a winger that doesn’t even create 1 chance per game. He created as many chances as game as Baningame.

14 minutes ago, King prawn said:

25DFC274-201F-433B-A578-857A574D0BF3.thumb.png.3b43d65c1d54b6a04595afc61caad439.png44B6B3AC-5994-4074-A111-453391661745.thumb.png.7ee49243e04f7ff43314c093f9793367.png

Unbelievable Tavernier.    The Ronan, Forrest, Boyce chances are much less than McKay because they shoot at goal more  I guess.    Boyce definitely likes a shot at goal. 

Bungalow Bill
13 minutes ago, King prawn said:

Our bigger problem is that Ginnelly only created 15 chances the whole season. What’s the point in having a winger that doesn’t even create 1 chance per game. He created as many chances as game as Baningame.

I don’t think this is his level. He also just doesn’t look interested to me. Appreciate I could be wrong on both of these. 

So  there is a pssibility of us singing Simms Shankland Grant and Ronan

I would delighted if this panned out and why not, well, can but hope 

heatonjambo
28 minutes ago, King prawn said:

Very good point

Apparently someone was being shown around this morning…no name I’m afraid.

Edited by Agentjambo

________________Gordon

Atkinson__Halkett__Rowles__Kingsley

____________Ronan__Devlin

_______McKay__Boyce__Grant

_______________Simms

Bench:

New GK

Neilson

Sibbick

Cochrane

Halliday

Haring

Forrest

Ginnelly  

Shankland

Left over:

Stewart

M.Smith

Logan

McEneff

C.Smith

Mackay-Steven

Henderson

I would probably move on McEneff and GMS to give us a 25 man squad (26 when Beni returns to the fold).

It's all hypothetical but I would take something like that

Edited by BigAlim

1 minute ago, BigAlim said:

________________Gordon

Atkinson__Halkett__Kingsley__Kingsley

____________Ronan__Devlin

_______McKay__Boyce__Grant

_______________Simms

Bench:

New GK

Neilson

Sibbick

Cochrane

Halliday

Haring

Forrest

Ginnelly  

Shankland

Left over:

Stewart

M.Smith

Logan

McEneff

C.Smith

Mackay-Steven

Henderson

I would probably move on McEneff and GMS to give us a 25 man squad (26 when Beni returns to the fold).

It's all hypothetical but I would take something like that

Huge fan of Kingsley also.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Watching SPFL 21/22 goals, players of note were Levitt, Glass Dundee United and Ronan, Henderson of St Mirren. 

Tough to get any of these I assume 

Edited by Lord Beni of Gorgie

2 hours ago, RS86 said:

Gut feeling is Ronan is far more likely than Grant. And I reckon when we next announce a signing, it'll not just be 1 that day...

Would expect Aberdeen to sign Ronan in the next couple of weeks 

• davemclaren changed the title to *** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***