• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RustyRightPeg

• Sooks

• Bazzas right boot

• BackOfTheNet

16 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Don't get the clamour for Paterson. Very limited player who ran through brick walls for us back in the day. Now just a very limited player imo. 

Remember a thread at the time he left with people claiming he'd be some kind of EPL mainstay 🤣

Scored a load of goals and was great at attacking/defending set pieces. 

Thomson1874
Just now, Thomson1874 said:

A few new signings to add into the squad;

Goalkeepers

- Craig Gordon - 2024

- Ross Stewart - 2023

Right Backs

- Nathaniel Atkinson - 2025

- Michael Smith - 2023

Centre Backs

- Stephen Kingsley - 2025

- Kye Rowles - 2025

- Toby Sibbick - 2025

- Lewis Neilson - 2025

- Craig Halkett - 2024

Left Backs

Centre Midfielders

- Beni Baningime - 2024

- Cammy Devlin - 2024

- Andy Halliday - 2024

- Peter Haring - 2023

- Aaron McEneff - 2023

- Loic Damour - 2023

Wide Midfielders

- Barrie McKay - 2025

- Alan Forrest - 2024

- Gary Mackay-Steven - 2023

- Josh Ginnelly - 2023

Forwards

- Liam Boyce - 2023

- Euan Henderson - 2023

Youth Players

- Harry Stone - 2023

- Connor Smith - 2023

- Finlay Pollock - 2023

- Scott McGill - 2023

- Cammy Logan - 2023

- Mackenzie Kirk - 2023

- Murray Thomas - 2023

One of the most welcome bits of transfer news will be the club confirming Damour leaving, which should save quite a bit in wages to go towards signings.

We obviously have Kingsley and Halliday who are comfortable at LB/LWB but I can’t see Neilson moving Kingsley there permanently when he has just got into the team of the year at CB so definitely a priority to get a new LB in.

I know the loans tend to come towards the end of the transfer window but it’s good to see the club signing players on permanent deals to replace the likes of Woodburn, Moore and hopefully Cochrane.

Will be interesting to see which of the youth players get a chance in the squad this season. By all reports, McGill has had a solid season out on loan as has Connor Smith so these guys might be kept around to play in the B team as well as the first team.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
21 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Don't get the clamour for Paterson. Very limited player who ran through brick walls for us back in the day. Now just a very limited player imo. 

Remember a thread at the time he left with people claiming he'd be some kind of EPL mainstay 🤣

The upside of Paterson, he can fill holes, but more so, set pieces, best player we have had aerially probably in my lifetime, I don't say that lightly. Open play I would tend to agree with you now

Henderson and Boyce as our strikers as it stands.

**** me, how thoroughly depressing is that.

Would have loved to have kept Simms

Lord Beni of Gorgie
5 minutes ago, I.T.K said:

Beat me by 2 mins!

Bazzas right boot
4 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Since it's June 10th, not depressing at all. 

3 hours ago, cosanostra said:

We must have saved a fair bit of cash when we got Walker, Brandon and Popescu off the wage bill.

Add Damour to that hopefully as we were still paying the bulk of his wages even though he was on loan at Metz.

They are meant to be taking him permanently next season which will take him off our wage bill with any luck.

Bazzas right boot
11 minutes ago, I.T.K said:

Aye 5 years ago. 

We also  probably want more in a player than that. 

Cp is not coming here. 

He's on a wad, probably more than Simms and we need better technical and skilful players than him. 

2 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Add Damour to that hopefully as we were still paying the bulk of his wages even though he was on loan at Metz.

They are meant to be taking him permanently next season which will take him off our wage bill with any luck.

Le mans not metz

1 minute ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Since it's June 10th, not depressing at all. 

Kirk has been in the Northern Ireland squad and might get a chance to show if he has what it takes in pre season to get some games.

Would be hoping that Forrest, Mckay and Ginnelly can all start scoring for us as well but we do need a proper striker in.

Kennyfragg13

Glen Middleton back to rangers I see 1year left on contract know he has been on loan to h1b5 but still think  he is a good prospect.know he was st Johnstone and didn’t do much,but a very bad team .  Think there’s a gd player in there and would not cost much.

4 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Aye 5 years ago. 

Cp is not coming here. 

He's on a wad, probably more than Simms and we need better technical and skilful players than him. 

Patterson's contract is up at the end of the month. 

Edited by I.T.K

From interviews with Savage and Neilson we seem to have a nice Hybrid approach to signings.

Robbie identifies areas and types of player we need. For example (I'm just making this bit up here) a ball playing centre half or a striker who can run into channels etc.

Savage and his team then identify potential targets and if one suits they go for them.

So on the whole Robbie doesn't suggest a certain player (although it looks like he did suggest Barrie McKay) and like wise Savage doesn't land a player on Robbie without his concent.

In this model the relationship between Robbie and Joe is vital and it seems they not only work well together but get along.

Just now, I.T.K said:

His contract is up at the end of the month. 

I'm sure one of our Sheffield Wednesday supporting members have said he has agreed a 1 year extension/ option

Batistuta87
13 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Not even a wee bit because:

1. The transfer window only actually opened today

2. Players down south are contracted until 30 Jun

3. Everyone's still on holiday

1 minute ago, milky_26 said:

24 hours in the pits for you

I would happily do that in return for Damour being away permanently. In fact I would even drive him there myself.

41 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

What about the portobello pirlo?

No. Jesus still get flashbacks to the championship season watching him in a 4-2-3-1 next to Halliday. Also kidded onto be a phm then jumped ship first opportunity 

kingantti1874
14 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Aye 5 years ago. 

Cp is not coming here. 

he’s out of contract isn’t he. We need all types of players.. Calum Paterson was one of the most “effective” we’ve ever had and is at prime age

Phil D. Corners
4 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

he’s out of contract isn’t he. We need all types of players.. Calum Paterson was one of the most “effective” we’ve ever had and is at prime age

The team went down hill after he got injured. Having Cathro and losing Sow were also factors, but we coped until he got injured. 

45 minutes ago, Thomson1874 said:

A few new signings to add into the squad;

Goalkeepers

- Craig Gordon - 2024

- Ross Stewart - 2023

Right Backs

- Nathaniel Atkinson - 2025

- Michael Smith - 2023

Centre Backs

- Stephen Kingsley - 2025

- Kye Rowles - 2025

- Toby Sibbick - 2025

- Lewis Neilson - 2025

- Craig Halkett - 2024

Left Backs

Centre Midfielders

- Beni Baningime - 2024

- Cammy Devlin - 2024

- Andy Halliday - 2024

- Peter Haring - 2023

- Aaron McEneff - 2023

- Loic Damour - 2023

Wide Midfielders

- Barrie McKay - 2025

- Alan Forrest - 2024

- Gary Mackay-Steven - 2023

- Josh Ginnelly - 2023

Forwards

- Liam Boyce - 2023

- Euan Henderson - 2023

Youth Players

- Harry Stone - 2023

- Connor Smith - 2023

- Finlay Pollock - 2023

- Scott McGill - 2023

- Cammy Logan - 2023

- Mackenzie Kirk - 2023

- Murray Thomas - 2023

Most pleasing thing is there is no one you are worried about being out of contract end of next season.

58 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I do wonder how many people watch him regularly. I haven't for a long time but a couple of seasons ago he was declining  Not a player that moves us forward in my opinion. Happy to be proven wrong but have my doubts. Also, where would he play?!? Anyone says as striker and they need to realise that effort alone doesn't make a good goalscorer

Brentford make an approach to Bologna for Hickey.

:munny:

*Callum Paterson would be a superb signing in the striker role. He's in his prime and has 20 days left on his contract.

Aye, we probably couldn't afford his wages but just making an offer is a statement of intent.

RustyRightPeg
41 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

The transfer window opened today 😂😂😂

54 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Who made you a mod? How can talk about our recruitment and signing policy be out of place in a transfer thread?

Pointing out the obvious does not make me a mod.

To help you a little bit, the topic is about this summer's transfer window, not comparing Neilson's earlier recruitment with Neilson's current recruitment.

We could talk about the time we first signed Skacel and Bednar which is transfer/policy related but that's another window and totally irrelevant here - like yours is.

1 minute ago, JamboAl said:

To help you a little bit, the topic is about this summer's transfer window, not comparing Neilson's earlier recruitment with Neilson's current recruitment.

We could talk about the time we first signed Skacel and Bednar which is transfer/policy related but that's another window and totally irrelevant here - like yours is.

This, Thread title ‘Hearts summer transfer window- 2022’

44 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Its only June and early at that nout to worry about 

Thomson1874
9 minutes ago, karipidis said:

Most pleasing thing is there is no one you are worried about being out of contract end of next season.

Agreed. Nice for us to have another years option on Haring’s deal and Boyce might be given another year as backup depending on who we sign but a nice position to be in.

Think Savage will probably be looking at Devlin and Beni and trying to tie them both down to longer deals.

Thomson1874
9 minutes ago, karipidis said:

Agreed. Nice for us to have another years option on Haring’s deal and Boyce might be given another year as backup depending on who we sign but a nice position to be in.

Think Savage will probably be looking at Devlin and Beni and trying to tie them both down to longer deals.

BackOfTheNet
2 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

People have actually said on several occasions - on this thread - that we’re talking Summer 2006 levels of signings this summer. So, is that off topic because it mentioned summer 2006? Or is it on topic because it relates to what we should expect this summer? As because if it’s the latter, then every single discussion you’ve deemed off topic in your last few posts has in fact been on topic as every discussion about the past signings is in relation to our current policy. It’s not hard to grasp. I thought.

Absolute Scenes

i really dont understand the negative press on Paterson. He's a utility player, a type of player neilson has made clear is in his signing ethos. Regardless of his age, he has scored a relatively decent number of goals each season since leaving Hearts without actually being an out-and-out striker. I think there's a place for him in this team

3 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

i really dont understand the negative press on Paterson. He's a utility player, a type of player neilson has made clear is in his signing ethos. Regardless of his age, he has scored a relatively decent number of goals each season since leaving Hearts without actually being an out-and-out striker. I think there's a place for him in this team

Canny see it happening but would love it 

CP would be a fantastic signing 

Just now, Absolute Scenes said:

I'm not trying to be negative here but just more curious. Where do you see his place being in the team? That's my biggest issue with him. I don't know where he fits in.

Reality is, if we want to close the gap on old firm and progress in Europe we need to improve first 11. Unless he comes in and accepts squad player status and wages,  I feel money would be better spent trying to improve our first 11. 

BackOfTheNet
2 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

Would there be a place in the team for him? Absolutely, he’s a utility man, would mean our European homegrown requirements are more solid and would be decent in our league from the bench. Would be be worth even half of what his wages currently are now? Absolutely not. And he’s not going to cut his wages that much to join us. Also, as the Sheffield Wednesday fan on here keeps repeatedly pointing out but keeps getting ignored, Wednesday took up their year’s option for him so only way we’d get him is with a fee. And I would not pay one penny for him given how he’s played in the last few years.

kingantti1874
Just now, Absolute Scenes said:

mate.  When hearts were linked with re signing rudi skacel this board was moaning it’s face off..

“done nothing since he left, not good enough any more, JJ is right we need Tony Capaldi more..👀😆

now CP is not rudi, but he is one of the most effective players we’ve had in the last 20 years, scored a ridiculous number of goals from right mid, right back, versatile, strong, near unbeatable in the air, brilliant defensively in the air.. he is out of contract, a great age a hearts fan and 100% would return to being a cult hero. He walks into every team in the league outside of Glasgow .. He’s had a hard spell at a shit club but Cardiff fans loved him for the same reasons we did.  

the key lesson here is.. some sections of our fan base are weird. Only happy when they have something to moan about.. and are usually best ignored 😂

Absolute Scenes
1 minute ago, Ranga82 said:

I'm not trying to be negative here but just more curious. Where do you see his place being in the team? That's my biggest issue with him. I don't know where he fits in.

Reality is, if we want to close the gap on old firm and progress in Europe we need to improve first 11. Unless he comes in and accepts squad player status and wages,  I feel money would be better spent trying to improve our first 11. 

you dont think he'd be a starter? I suppose we would need to know what his actual natural position is. If its CB i would be happy with him Halks and Rowles at the CB position. 

It wont happen either way because if the ridiculous wage he will have been on.  I just didnt understand why folk are so negative towards him, but yet were touting St Mirren and St Johnstone huddies

CP has been discussed to death. Wednesday have taken up the option of a further year. this has been confirmed by one of their fans on this thread a couple of times

jamboinglasgow
9 minutes ago, briever said:

Hadn't realised Alan Forrest had only signed a 2yr deal.

On a related note, from the video released yesterday it was interesting to hear Joe Savage talk about Forrest. I feel he may become a bit of a forgotten man among fans prior to friendlies starting, but was impressed how much Savage really talked him up, even talking about how they think he can go up level while at Hearts.

Wonder if the two years is to see how he does in the first season and then extend it from there if he does well.

Absolute Scenes
1 minute ago, kingantti1874 said:

mate.  When hearts were linked with re signing rudi skacel this board was moaning it’s face off..

“done nothing since he left, not good enough any more, JJ is right we need Tony Capaldi more..👀😆

now CP is not rudi, but he is one of the most effective players we’ve had in the last 20 years, scored a ridiculous number of goals from right mid, right back, versatile, strong, near unbeatable in the air, brilliant defensively in the air.. he is out of contract, a great age a hearts fan and 100% would return to being a cult hero. He walks into every team in the league outside of Glasgow .. He’s had a hard spell at a shit club but Cardiff fans loved him for the same reasons we did.  

the key lesson here is.. some sections of our fan base are weird. Only happy when they have something to moan about.. and are usually best ignored 😂

absolutely mate

Rudi was a player who just fitted at Hearts like no other club. I agree Patterson is not on that level of status, but league one is probabnly SPL level, maybe higher for the bottom 6 teams, but definitely competing wise at Top Six level. He would improve us that's for sure - i can see him being of similar ilk in that back at Hearts, he would hit his form again. He's only 27!

I was on ther Cardiff forum actually and there was a thread about him, and how they regretted letting him go. Wednesday fans are just a bunch of moaning has-beens. Like Aberdeen fans living off European success from the 80s. 

21 minutes ago, Ranga82 said:

I do wonder how many people watch him regularly. I haven't for a long time but a couple of seasons ago he was declining  Not a player that moves us forward in my opinion. Happy to be proven wrong but have my doubts. Also, where would he play?!? Anyone says as striker and they need to realise that effort alone doesn't make a good goalscorer

I've not seen a lot of him in fairness but my gaffer is an Owls fan and he's bemused why we rated him so much.

Absolute Scenes
5 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Would there be a place in the team for him? Absolutely, he’s a utility man, would mean our European homegrown requirements are more solid and would be decent in our league from the bench. Would be be worth even half of what his wages currently are now? Absolutely not. And he’s not going to cut his wages that much to join us. Also, as the Sheffield Wednesday fan on here keeps repeatedly pointing out but keeps getting ignored, Wednesday took up their year’s option for him so only way we’d get him is with a fee. And I would not pay one penny for him given how he’s played in the last few years.

yeah wages are going to be an issue - however (i know its not the same level) Kingsley becoming a free agent, meant we were able to offer him a reasonable wage (definitely lower than what he was on at Hull) when he came to us. Patterson might just want a fresh start and come back home

But again, i cant see it happening due to his current and previous wages and the fee involved.

1 hour ago, bobskeldon said:

Be careful JC, there are plenty about who want CP back and a return to ‘playing for seconds’!

As a PlanB when we’re struggling it’s fine, but CP wouldn’t come back to be some battering ram for the last 20 minutes. We’d be paying him lots. When you are willing to pay lots you buy a starter. I’m not convinced Paterson is a starter except at RB where he isn’t keen on playing and that would push Atkinson out the picture. I’d be astonished and a wee bit disappointed if we signed him. Ourselves and Cardiff had the best of him. I don’t think he is great anymore

15 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

Some folk like to post about how even looking at a former player is some kind of blasphemy. 

I think CP would do a great job again for us. Can play him in any position down the right hand side and CF. No brainer IMO. 

10 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

On a related note, from the video released yesterday it was interesting to hear Joe Savage talk about Forrest. I feel he may become a bit of a forgotten man among fans prior to friendlies starting, but was impressed how much Savage really talked him up, even talking about how they think he can go up level while at Hearts.

Wonder if the two years is to see how he does in the first season and then extend it from there if he does well.

Similar age and experience to Hartley and Cameron when they signed for Hearts. If Forrest is half as good as them he will be a great success.

Bazzas right boot
52 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

1 year extension according to those on here. 

Eitherway- I can't see it. 

• davemclaren changed the title to *** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***