*** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***

dazajmbo

Rick Sanchez

Joe Wright in pre pre season. I wonder if he'll take up the offer.

Decent scar on his knee!

• Replies 39.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RustyRightPeg

• Sooks

• Bazzas right boot

• BackOfTheNet

john thomas
54 minutes ago, Cade said:

Craig Gordon was close to being dropped by Hearts as a laddie as he wasn't strong enough. Too lanky apparently.

:vrface:

Was it not because he was too wee ?

10 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

Decent scar on his knee!

Looks a sore one. Do we think we will buy another central defender after rowles and neilson signing

johnking123
1 minute ago, Newton51 said:

Looks a sore one. Do we think we will buy another central defender after rowles and neilson signing

Yes, definitely 

FarmerTweedy
6 hours ago, TheBigO said:

But he's been a number 1 for a number of years has he not?  That's a tough sell.  It's the guy who is ready but maybe not established we need.  You never know.  Not an easy call though - never is when a club has such an obvious number 1.

Didn't Man U suffer from this for years, perhaps post Van der Sar?  Didn't have decent backup and couldn't find another goodun?  Maybe I've made that up!

My view is we'd probably be better looking for someone mid to late 30s, not outstanding like Gordon obviously, but someone decent, who is happy to have a couple of years earning decent money but not playing much, rather than earning poor money playing regularly, to see them into retirement from playing. Before CG came back, I saw quite a lot of people calling for us to bring Jamie Mcdonald back as first choice and I thought there's no way he's good enough to be our number one. I do think he'd fit the bill to be our number two though, at least for the next couple of years.  Whether he'd want to stop playing regularly now though, I've no idea!

3 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

Neilson seems stuck on 3 at the back - so the more we have the better I suspect.

RustyRightPeg
19 minutes ago, john thomas said:

I'm sure we agree , he looks very promising 

Yeah absolutely. 

FarmerTweedy
6 hours ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

How about someone like Alan MacGregor as back up keeper and let him do coaching too 

I can never quite decide whether you've suffered a horrific brain injury or are a trolling see you next Tuesday! If it's the former, you have my sympathy! 

FarmerTweedy
5 hours ago, KyleLafferty said:

I’m assuming that’s all the Scottish transfers done. The rest will come from abroad or England. Hopefully some 26/27 European experienced players, with also some history of winning trophies.

That's a ludicrous number of signings to expect! 

King prawn
11 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

We need one 

FarmerTweedy
5 hours ago, OmiyaHearts said:

Yet he's still getting replies from other users. Feed the troll and they will keep trolling.

Sorry, I can't help taking the bait at times! 

14 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

Yeah I think the Neilson signing was just by chance, an additional. Agent let us know he was available on a free and we took the chance. I think we plan on bringing in a more experienced, or at least proven, CB.

31 minutes ago, Ccjambo1874 said:

Hopefully it is Ginnelly we are keeping. He's showed flashes and even at 25 I'd expect any inconsistentcy to become less and less. Another full pre season will do him the world of good and he is probably all the more settled having been up a while now. GMS as a winger is getting on and for me isn't stocky enough to do much more now his pace is lacking and will continue to do.

Could he be converted into a left wing back ??

FarmerTweedy
4 hours ago, colinmaroon said:

It would be helpful to grasp that good central defenders require experience more than most other positions, and therefore younger ones get the bombscare label.

It's been the same at Hearts in my decades of following them.  That's why younger/newer central defenders benefit from playing alongside experience, or given time at least.

Elvis and Zal were major bombscares at first.  Plus, all players make mistakes, it's usually if it costs a goal that it registers.

How many rubbish shots, poor passes did MacKay make last season.  In this day of "fairness and equality" why not call him a bombscare?

Central defenders also need a good understanding. You can send out two (or three) good quality central defenders in a game and if they're not on the same wavelength, they can all end up looking very silly. With forwards, a good understanding helps, but sometimes if they don't know what each other are doing, the chaos can be helpful!  There are loads of attacking spells in most games and few goals, and the goals tend to come from something completely unexpected happening, whether it's an attacker or defender that does it! 

7 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

I’m not sure why he was signed to be honest. I can only assume it was because he can play several positions and we needed cover at the time we signed him. Hes certainly not starting instead of any of our 3 holding mids and I doubt he’s starting instead of Atkinson. IMO he’s a back up centre half who could play in midfield or RWB if we got desperate 

Holding mid is what he was signed for. 

Dick Dastardly
34 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

I think we still need an experienced, top quality cd to replace Souttar, don't we or am i just being greedy? 

5 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I think we still need an experienced, top quality cd to replace Souttar, don't we or am i just being greedy? 

No I definitely agree. We’ve lost Cochrane too so not sure if Kingsley will play a slightly wider role or will replace Cochrane too 

FarmerTweedy
4 hours ago, OTT said:

If we’re still looking at the a league, Nestor Irankunda seems to be doing pretty well for himself. 13 appearances, 3 goals, But he’s only 16! One to keep an eye on IMO.

Not bad if he's a 16 year old striker. Phenomenal if he's a 16 year old keeper! 

Batistuta87
56 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

Decent scar on his knee!

I've got one of those! Thank you, football! 🤣

He looks in some shape to be fair. 

Edited by Batistuta87

PhoenixHearts
10 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

We've got Halkett, Kingsley, Rowles, Sibbick and Neilson, and Smith or Haring can cover in a pinch, but I do think we still need one more. A more experienced head.

Batistuta87
1 hour ago, johnking123 said:

Smith moving down closer to his family could happen.

Would be really surprised if he did. He's got a year left on his contract which he only signed in January so I can see him running down his last year playing the odd game and then hanging up his boots. 

johnking123
10 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Would be really surprised if he did. He's got a year left on his contract which he only signed in January so I can see him running down his last year playing the odd game and then hanging up his boots. 

Not sure he will move myself. Just saying it's a possibility. Think family is around Bristol.

john thomas
1 hour ago, TommyC said:

Yeah I think the Neilson signing was just by chance, an additional. Agent let us know he was available on a free and we took the chance. I think we plan on bringing in a more experienced, or at least proven, CB.

Neilson has loads of potential 

Not sure if it is as a centre half

RustyRightPeg
2 minutes ago, john thomas said:

Neilson has loads of potential 

Not sure if it is as a centre half

I think considering it was RN that moved him into CB we can count on him playing there. 

If anything it probably pushes Sibbick one up into midfield positions. 

1 hour ago, soonbe110 said:

Holding mid is what he was signed for. 

May well have been the intention for the future but he won’t get a game there unless he improves massively or we have a holding mid injury/suspension crisis. Doesn’t matter what you think he was signed for or how many times you ‘say it again’ He can cover centre back and that’s largely what he’s been doing and will continue to do IMO

1 hour ago, PhoenixHearts said:

We've got Halkett, Kingsley, Rowles, Sibbick and Neilson, and Smith or Haring can cover in a pinch, but I do think we still need one more. A more experienced head.

Joe wright is far to slow for the spl 

3 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Wasn't he too small? He had a growth spurt at 16ish and went on to absolute greatness

Jefferies apparently noticed that his dad was tall and guessed, correctly, that Craig would go through a growth spurt.

cosanostra
12 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Wonder if we will get any offers for devlin. 

I doubt we'd get any that would make him worth selling.

He's popular with his team mates, management and the fans and he's an important squad player. 

He'd probably have to want to leave and someone would need to offer a substantial fee to make it worthwhile.

Thought Police
2 hours ago, john thomas said:

This is what I heard too. Came back after the summer break and had shot up considerably so they kept him on.

2 hours ago, Ccjambo1874 said:

Hopefully it is Ginnelly we are keeping. He's showed flashes and even at 25 I'd expect any inconsistentcy to become less and less. Another full pre season will do him the world of good and he is probably all the more settled having been up a while now. GMS as a winger is getting on and for me isn't stocky enough to do much more now his pace is lacking and will continue to do.

Agree . Ginnelly by his own admission has been hampered by illness but now seems to be getting over that period.

1 hour ago, PhoenixHearts said:

Surely a goal scorer is now the priority.  The problem is that all clubs are looking for one.

kingantti1874
2 hours ago, briever said:

Neilson seems stuck on 3 at the back - so the more we have the better I suspect.

we changed to 4-2-3-1 at the back of the season and were better for it 

PhoenixHearts

By my count the squad size is at 19 now. Despite the three new players in the door that puts us 2 down on the 21 we ran with last season.

If we think Henderson and Pollock will be included in the main squad that puts us back up to 21, but Robbie Neilson said he wanted 24-25.

Would mean a minimum of 3 players still to come. I suspect it'll be closer to 5 or 6.

We need at least:

CM(preferably an attacking one... Ronan?)

LB(would tale Cochrane back)

Two strikers (Shankland and another? Unlikely Simms but i think he'd need to be that big target man mould)

One more CB (Wright?)

Perhaps a new backup GK.

Would we be happy with that?

Dick Dastardly
2 hours ago, Andyp1874 said:

No I definitely agree. We’ve lost Cochrane too so not sure if Kingsley will play a slightly wider role or will replace Cochrane too 

If Kingsley plays lwb with Halliday as backup then we are sorted out there. Rowles could probably fill in if needed as well. I haven't seen anything of Rowles so can't comment on him but Souttar is going to be a big miss, even though we have managed without him for long periods.

Dick Dastardly
2 hours ago, PhoenixHearts said:

Rowles might take a bit of time to adapt, in the same way that Natty has. Hopefully he can hit the ground running though. Neilson jr seems confident of game time, so we will see how he fits in. I suppose it could depend on what happens at lwb with regards to another cd coming in. If Kingsley moves over we definitely need a direct souttar replacement. If we sign a LWB then it might be seen as plenty of cover? Maybe? 

Dick Dastardly
1 hour ago, Hansel said:

Jefferies apparently noticed that his dad was tall and guessed, correctly, that Craig would go through a growth spurt.

Jefferies the visionary 

Arthur Morgan
43 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

we changed to 4-2-3-1 at the back of the season and were better for it 

Yeah I really hope we don't go with the 3 ATB this season, the 4231 looked much better. 

Right now as it stands, two strikers is a priority.   We could start a game now fairly solid at the back but would struggle up top.   

Two strikers and one more forward.  Hopefully Ronan signs to boost the forward position. 

A backup goalie later perhaps.   If we can get one now that would be great. 

Edited by HMFC01

BackOfTheNet
18 hours ago, BackOfTheNet said:

So, transfer window opens tomorrow. We expecting any news on any front? Seems like if this Neilson signs it would cause a hoopla, so may take a while to effectively have an out of court settlement. I imagine Rowles will not be announced until the World Cup play off is done. Shankland?

When does pre-season training resume? That’s likely when we’ll start seeing activity pick up I’d imagine.

Sake, it wasn’t a dare Hearts, **** me! :lol:

6 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Rowles might take a bit of time to adapt, in the same way that Natty has. Hopefully he can hit the ground running though. Neilson jr seems confident of game time, so we will see how he fits in. I suppose it could depend on what happens at lwb with regards to another cd coming in. If Kingsley moves over we definitely need a direct souttar replacement. If we sign a LWB then it might be seen as plenty of cover? Maybe? 

Rowles should be here for pre season so that’s bound to help. Atkinson got thrown in mid season due to smiths injury so he a far harder introduction. 

8 minutes ago, Russ1977 said:

Rowles should be here for pre season so that’s bound to help. Atkinson got thrown in mid season due to smiths injury so he a far harder introduction. 

Should make a world of difference. As should the competition for places. 

Dick Dastardly
5 minutes ago, Russ1977 said:

Yeah, totally. I had just read that article in the EEN, i think, where the A League commentator had been Giving Us The Lowdown. It mentions the fact that the ozzy league is played at a much slower pace due to the heat. That was probably at the back of my mind when i was thinking about Rowles. Pre season should be a big help, though. 

RustyRightPeg
5 hours ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Sake, it wasn’t a dare Hearts, **** me! :lol:

do it again 

10 hours ago, john thomas said:

Yes ... he had a growth spurt over the summer months that enabled the coaching staff to convince Jefferies to retain him.

Batistuta87
9 hours ago, johnking123 said:

Not sure he will move myself. Just saying it's a possibility. Think family is around Bristol.

Yeah his Mrs is from Bristol or Bath or somewhere down there. It comes up a lot because he's built a house down that way. It probably always is a possibility and maybe just hasn't been a suitable offer or that he's happy seeing out his Hearts contract. 

• davemclaren changed the title to *** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***